Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ged's Utility Room

+10
neanderthal
Tary5
niknak
ShortNorth
mikeanddi
slipperman12
Markh5682
aeroplanefan
StephenRWells
RIGFindlay
14 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Ged's Utility Room - Page 3 Empty Re: Ged's Utility Room

Post  slipperman12 Fri 21 Apr 2017, 7:44 pm

Hi,
Brian :  Thanks - That's good news Smile

Terry :
MSTS_AE_Fix
Attached is a program to remove the Activity Editor values from the HWRenderer Registry key.
Before the values are deleted, a backup of the HWRenderer subkey is taken (just in case!) and saved as file :   MSTS_AE_Registry_Values.reg  in the same folder as the .exe file.  If this file is present and is more than 60 bytes in length a warning is given and the run may be continued or aborted.  The length of 60 bytes is used so that I can include a dummy file in the installer when the utility is officially released.
Other than message boxes, there is no "normal" Windows Forms display, as it wouldn't serve any purpose!

At this stage, no readme is included, but I think you'll find it all pretty self-explanatory Smile  Unpack the .zip file to a temporary folder and run the .exe file from there.  It doesn't need setting to "Run as administrator" (I hope!) as it should be built-in.

Testing for this program is difficult because I don't know which missing value/values cause the disappearing consists problem, so all I can do is to make sure it does "what it says on the tin"!

Your comments, suggestions or bug reports are welcome Smile

Cheers,
Ged

EDIT : The attachment has been deleted and replaced by an updated version, attached to my post of 24-04-2017.

Last edited by slipperman12 on Mon 24 Apr 2017, 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth Sat 22 Apr 2017, 1:08 am

Hi all,

Just a minor suggestion for ease of use - we are slowly getting quite a nice range of little utilities from Ged. Each one is installed in its own folder under the C:\ drive. I've been rationalizing my main C: drive folder structure as it was getting too long.

So, I made a new folder <   1MSTS-GedsUtilities   >, I then moved each of Ged's utilities into the 'common' folder, re-linked the shortcuts on the desktop to their new location, and deleted the empty individual folders. I had to rename the Uninstall.exe file with each utility name before uninstall (i.e. SwapUninstall.exe), but that was the only change.

I now have all of Ged's utilities in the one place - easy to find, easy to use.

Regards, Brian

"Any railway that paints their locomotives such a magnificent shade of red, must be the most superior in the land" (apologies to the late David Jenkinson).
ShortNorth
ShortNorth

http://shortnorth.steam4me.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Sat 22 Apr 2017, 11:40 am

Hi Brian,

You've beaten me to it - I was thinking of doing the same thing to reduce the amount of clutter on the desktop and to keep all of Ged's utilities in one place. At the same time you've also shown the pitfall to avoid in respect of the uninstall files. Thank you and also to Ged for all his hard work in producing these excellent utilities.

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sat 22 Apr 2017, 12:53 pm

Hi Stephen and Brian,
Many thanks for your kind words Smile
I've taken on-board your comments about the names of the uninstallers. I must admit that it's due to laziness on my part in that, in most cases, I've let the installer creator name the uninstaller, when it's quite easy to give it a unique name! Starting with the next/released versions of MSTS_RE_ScrnSizer and MSTS_AE_Fixer, the uninstallers will be identifiable. The same will apply to my other utilities should they need to be updated for any reason.

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  terrycunliffe Sat 22 Apr 2017, 1:37 pm

Thanks Ged,
I can only really test and comment the next time I get the missing consists issue.Smile
(I'm actually starting to write activities again Very Happy )
However, my thoughts are as long as the utility finds and deletes all the AE_ entries from within the registry from within all 3 possible location folders i.e. HK_Current_User, HK_Local_Machine and HK_Users,* then that would suffice. There is no real need for the utility to replace any default entries, as these are re-generated automatically when AE is restarted.
*Note, this relates to Windows 7, and could possibly be different for Win 10?
Thanks again for taking the time and trouble to develop this.
Cheers,
T

terrycunliffe

Back to top Go down

Ged's Utility Room - Page 3 Empty MSTS_AE_Fix

Post  slipperman12 Sat 22 Apr 2017, 3:26 pm

Hi Terry,
Thanks Smile
The version of MSTS_AE_Fix I attached only removes the "AE_" values from the HK_Local_Machine Key.  The reason for this is that when I checked the Registry on my main PC (Win7 & Win 10), the HK_Current_User folder only had the Route Editor main screen values in it.  This morning, I was updating my laptop (Win 7), which also has MSTS installed, so I checked all the Registry entries and found that the HK_Current_User HWRenderer contained the full complement of entries!  That being so, I will change the program so that it also deletes any AE entries from that key.  I don't think it's necessary to do the same with the HK_Users key because that seems to be updated automatically from HK_Current_User.  I do stand to be corrected on that point, but I'm not certain whether the address within the HK_Users key would be the same for all users - in mine, the first subkey is :  S-1-5-21-17476735-3791040644-3301794569-1000

Maybe I should mention here that hwfix only reset the HK_Local_Machine key, which is why I didn't consider any other keys.

Cheers,
Ged

Last edited by slipperman12 on Sat 22 Apr 2017, 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Ged's Utility Room - Page 3 Empty MSTS_RE_ScrnSizer

Post  slipperman12 Sat 22 Apr 2017, 3:49 pm

Hi Brian,
I have amended the name of the uninstaller and added a little improvement (?).

The attached will be the officially released version, so long as no problems are found with it!  

I have removed the previous version from its post.

Cheers,
Ged

EDIT (25-04-2017) : The program has been released into this site's file library and is available for download. To avoid any confusion, the version attached to this post has been removed.

Last edited by slipperman12 on Tue 25 Apr 2017, 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth Sun 23 Apr 2017, 1:16 am

Hi Ged,

Yep ! the updated version works OK - I like the 'little improvement' - if the screen res is already at the required setting it saves me having to re-select and reset all over again - a nice little touch.

Thanks again

Brian

"Any railway that paints their locomotives such a magnificent shade of red, must be the most superior in the land" (apologies to the late David Jenkinson).
ShortNorth
ShortNorth

Back to top Go down

Post  terrycunliffe Sun 23 Apr 2017, 8:20 pm

Re MSTS_AE_Fix
Hi Ged,
Worked a treat! Very Happy
21 AE entries removed.
Nice one OK
Many Thanks
T

terrycunliffe

Back to top Go down

Ged's Utility Room - Page 3 Empty RE: MSTS_AE_Fix

Post  slipperman12 Mon 24 Apr 2017, 2:53 pm

Hi Terry,
I have modified the program to also remove any "AE_" entries from the HWRenderer subkey of  HKEY_CURRENT_USER.  

I agree with you that the export of the original Registry values served no purpose (except for my testing!), so have removed it.

The only visible difference between this one and the previous version is that the Completion message now shows the number of AE entries removed from each of the Registry keys.

The new version is attached and the last one has been deleted from my previous post.

If you wish to check this one, I suggest you delete the old one as there's no indicated difference between them, except the date of the .exe file.

EDIT - 27-04-2017 - The attachment has been removed as the program is now available from the file library.

Cheers,
Ged

Last edited by slipperman12 on Thu 27 Apr 2017, 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Ged's Utility Room - Page 3 Empty MSTS_RE_ScrnSizer

Post  slipperman12 Tue 25 Apr 2017, 10:01 am

Hi,
This utility is now available from this site's library and from that at Elvastower.  As soon as it's been approved, it will also be downloadable from UKTS and trainsim.com.

Many thanks to Brian and Alec for their help in testing the program Smile

I have now removed the attachment from my post.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Ged's Utility Room - Page 3 Empty MSTS_AE_Fix

Post  slipperman12 Thu 27 Apr 2017, 1:46 pm

Hi All,
This utility is now available from the TSSH library (and will be from the libraries at UKTS, TS.com and Elvastower.com when approved).

I have removed it from my post of 24 April 2017.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Ged's Utility Room - Page 3 Empty Re: MSTS_RE_ScrnSizer

Post  slipperman12 Sat 29 Apr 2017, 10:04 pm

Hi All,
A user on the Elvastower Forum has asked if I'd consider allowing the user to enter their own resolution. Although this would be easy enough to include, I'm not sure if it's what most users would want; it would mean them specifying a value for, say, the width and the program could calculate the appropriate height.

Although I'm not a route builder, I've noticed there is a large difference in size between 1024x768 and 1280x1024, so I wonder if an intermediate size would be useful, with, probably, another between 1280x1024 and 1600x1200. It has also been pointed out that the default resolution (646x524) has a ratio of about 3.7:3 and not 4:3 as in my utility (and the original MSTS-scrsz program).

Please may I have comments from "regular" route builders?

Thanks,
Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth Sun 30 Apr 2017, 1:00 am

Hi Ged,

Using the 'old' screensize program, the maximum practical limit was 1024 x 768 and to all intents and purposes was quite acceptable, bearing in mind the screen limits in that era.

Many of today's users, like me, are working on wide-screen laptops, and once you get past the 'budget' laptops, the common standard now seems to be 1920 x 1080, which of course suits the 1280 x 1024 RE size quite nicely. I did try your, now omitted, intermediate res of 1152 x 864 - this also works OK, but of course 1280 x 1024 is better.

Many years ago, I had a nice big 21" CRT monitor and a high-end graphics card which could run at 1600 x 1200 - it was quite nice to work with, until the card and monitor got fried in a PC meltdown. The 1600 x 1200 res would only be available to those who have very high-end cards and monitors and would be the exception rather than the rule.

As a regular route author, I'm more than happy with the utility you have provided, the significant increase from 1024 x 768 to 1280 x 1024 makes it so much easier to work with RE.

In summary, I really don't think you need to change your utility, it covers all common bases.

Regards, Brian

ShortNorth
ShortNorth

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sun 30 Apr 2017, 3:51 pm

Hi Brian,
Thanks for your reply Smile

I suppose that, whatever you do, there's always somebody wanting more!!

I'm always prepared to make changes, if I can see they'd be beneficial. In this case, adding a couple of extra options wouldn't affect the operating simplicity of the program, but allowing the user to enter their own value/s is, I think, a step too far!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Ged's Utility Room - Page 3 Empty MSTS_Swap

Post  slipperman12 Tue 16 May 2017, 3:22 pm

Hi All,
I have uploaded a new version (1.6) of this utility to the TSSH library. It will also be available from the UKTS, TS.com and Elvastower libraries when approved.

There are no functional changes in this version.  Extra validation checks have been made on the Registry values, which are essential for this program to run successfully.  Originally, I didn't think these checks would be required (but we all know what 'thought' did!!).  However, I got a system error when running MSTS_Swap; on checking the Registry, found that one of the values was missing, although the main key was present (which is all I'd previously checked).  I don't know how it happened, but if it can happen to me, it can happen to anybody!!

A reminder - install this new version into the same folder as the earlier one so that the same "working" files can be used.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Ged's Utility Room - Page 3 Empty MSTS_ActMan

Post  slipperman12 Wed 17 May 2017, 8:04 pm

Hi All,
The seed of this utility is a recent post on one of the MSTS Forums, where the user installed an activity designed for a specific version of a route into a different installed version.  Due to changes to the TDB, the activity caused MSTS to crash.  To solve this, all that's required is to identify the .act, .pat, .srv, .trf and (if unique) .con files, then delete them.  The problem is how to find those files - experienced users will probably look at the individual files, but how do you determine whether a consist is used elsewhere in the installation?

In order for the program to correctly deal with the files "belonging" to an activity, it records each Path, Service and Traffic file used by each activity in the selected route, together with the number of activities each is used by.  Also, a record of consists used by each activity in the installation, together with the number of separate activities each is used in.  The reason for maintaining the number of times a file is used is to ensure that it's only deleted if it's only used once (ie by the activity selected for removal).

As well as the activity deletion function, a list of files used by the selected activity and a list the .pat, .srv, .trf files used by all the route's activities with the .con files used by all the activities in the installation may be displayed.

I don't know if this will be a useful program, or not, but would welcome your comments, either pros or cons - I don't mind  Smile   I do have some ideas for possible enhancements, but they are just that - ideas!!

If you'd like to "have a look" at it, just ask - it should work (like my other utilities) under XP so long as .Net Framework v4.0 is installed. At present, there is no readme, but I've tried to make it as self-explanatory as possible!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Thu 18 May 2017, 11:12 am

Hi Ged,

I seem to remember that some, if not all of these functions are available with Trainstore but to get the full results everything needs to be unstored.
Your idea looks useful, especially if it removes the necessity of using Trainstore first - I'm not running Trainstore down as I wouldn't be without it.
I hope I'm not talking rubbish but if I am please say so as I won't be offended.

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Thu 18 May 2017, 11:26 am

Ged, as you known, I am always ready to help. Send it on!

David
dforrest
dforrest

Location : St. Vincent and the Grenadines (and in an earlier life, Hull)

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Thu 18 May 2017, 1:31 pm

Hi Chaps,
Thanks for your responses Smile

@Stephen : I wasn't aware that Train Store had such a function, but to use my utility, if TS or Mini Loader is in use, all data must be unstored first.

@David : I'll get a copy of the .exe file to you later today - it won't have any documentation (I'm about to start on it!), installer or icon, but I think you'll be able to find your way around it!

I mentioned that the main purpose for creating this utility was to be able to delete an activity, and its associated files, if it causes problems for MSTS. However, I should point out that this facility doesn't have to be used - once an activity is selected, the initial list option is to show all the files used by it.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Thu 18 May 2017, 2:55 pm

slipperman12 wrote:Hi All,
I have uploaded a new version (1.6) of this utility to the TSSH library.  It will also be available from the UKTS, TS.com and Elvastower libraries when approved.

There are no functional changes in this version.  Extra validation checks have been made on the Registry values, which are essential for this program to run successfully.  Originally, I didn't think these checks would be required (but we all know what 'thought' did!!).  However, I got a system error when running MSTS_Swap; on checking the Registry, found that one of the values was missing, although the main key was present (which is all I'd previously checked).  I don't know how it happened, but if it can happen to me, it can happen to anybody!!

A reminder - install this new version into the same folder as the earlier one so that the same "working" files can be used.

Cheers,
Ged

Ged, when installed, this version does not display a desktop icon as it did before.

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Thu 18 May 2017, 4:01 pm

Hi David,
Sorry, I can't offer any solution to that!

I've just downloaded the version from UKTS & TSSH and both display the same icon as the previous version, even when the original was completely removed.  I can't see those on TS.com and ET.com being any different because they have exactly the same .zip file (famous last words!!),

Does anybody else have the same problem, please?

There is a problem with the entry in my TSSH download area in that if you click the image you get v1.3, but if you click on "Download the file" you get v1.6!  Having said that, v1.3 also shows the icon!!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sun 03 Sep 2017, 11:19 pm

Hi All,
I have now completed a new version of this program.  

My regular testers already have a copy, but I now offer it here to anybody who would like to have a "play" with it.  Unless one of the delete functions is used, no changes are made to any data.
I've tried to make the program's operation as self-explanatory as possible, but a full readme is included.  It has been tested with Windows 7 and 10 and should also run under XP, so long as .Net Framework v4.0 is installed.

Although "MSTS" is in its title, it may be used for checking any MSTS or Open Rails installation as it doesn't need any particular Registry entry to be present.

Any/all comments, suggestions and error reports are welcome, as usual.

Cheers,
Ged

EDIT - 15 September 2017 :  The attachment has been removed and replaced by updated version 0.7b

Last edited by slipperman12 on Fri 15 Sep 2017, 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Ged's Utility Room - Page 3 Empty DIY Mini Routes

Post  slipperman12 Fri 15 Sep 2017, 8:40 pm

Hi All,
I have, at last, got this working to my satisfaction, although it remains to be seen if others agree!!

I've dumped the numbering of the programs, because even I was getting confused!  The result is that SetupMSTSCore3 is now SetupMSTSCore (although internally, it still has the old name) and BatchMod3 is replaced by a completely new program called MSTS_RunRouteBatch.  This program doesn't create a new version of the batch file, but interprets the data in the original file and actions it accordingly.

It should be noted that if freeware routes are installed from a CD/DVD (eg from UKTS), the batch file is run automatically.  If the said route is installed as a mini route, the batch file will show many '0 File/s Copied' messages (if you can spot then as they whizz through!).  Running RunRouteBatch after the route is installed will copy the correct files into it.

RunRouteBatch reports, to a display and a file, any batch file lines which can't be actioned.  RunRouteBatch isn't solely for use with mini routes and may be used with regular installations.

A very minor addition to SetupMSTSCore is the facility to create the Open Rails folder hierarchy; it only contains the required folders; no files are included, except for a 'dummy' trains.exe, which some utilities require to function correctly.

The screens for each program show a version number - this is used to maintain control of any errors/modifications made.

I have successfully tested the programs with 31 different routes' batch files, using Windows 7 and 10.  They should also operate under XP, with Net Framework v4.0 installed.

I'd appreciate any feedback, good or bad, but understand that due to the need to create a suitable environment, it may not be possible for many to fully test the programs.  However, if you feel the need to create a mini route, please try them Smile

Cheers,
Ged

EDIT - 25-09-2017 : This utility is now available from the TSSH library, so the version which was attached here-to has been removed.

Last edited by slipperman12 on Mon 25 Sep 2017, 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Fri 15 Sep 2017, 11:33 pm

Hi All,
Following a suggestion by one of my testers, after the first run of the program, the folder selection screen will start at the last used MSTS root folder.

The previous version contained an error such that it couldn't be uninstalled - apologies for that Embarassed    Because there are no fundamental changes to it, this version will overwrite the files in your existing installation folder, after which the 'old' uninstaller (without '.exe') may be deleted.

Many thanks for your comments and suggestions.  In the absence of any error reports, this version could become the release version 1.0 - I'm probably tempting providence here  Shocked

Cheers,
Ged

EDIT - 25-09-2017 : This utility is now available from the TSSH library, so the version which was attached here-to has been removed.

Last edited by slipperman12 on Mon 25 Sep 2017, 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Ged's Utility Room - Page 3 Empty MSTS_Swap

Post  slipperman12 Sun 17 Sep 2017, 3:55 pm

Hi All,
I am about to make some minor changes to this program.  They won't be evident in its actual usage as they will replace three files in the installation folder with equivalent Registry entries.

If you've spotted any bugs which need fixing, or have any enhancements you'd like included, please let me know Smile

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Fri 22 Sep 2017, 7:49 pm

Hi All,
I'm planning to upload MSTS_ActMan and DIY Mini Routes to various libraries at the beginning of next week.

If there are any parts of either which don't seem to work properly, or, you feel, could be better implemented, please let me know.

Thanks,
Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Mon 25 Sep 2017, 6:37 pm

Hi All,
I have now uploaded MSTS_ActMan and DIY Mini Routes to the TSSH library and have, thus, removed the versions from posts in this thread.
If you are using one of the earlier versions, I suggest that you install the release version into the same folder. This will permit any data in supplementary files to be transferred to the new version.

They should also be available from the UKTS, TS.com and Elvastower.com libraries as soon as they are approved.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Mon 25 Sep 2017, 10:15 pm

Ged
Thanks for these and the other excellent utilities, and they are all very much appreciated.

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Thu 26 Oct 2017, 10:09 am

Hi All,
I haven't yet looked at the activities being discussed here : https://tsforum.forumotion.net/t1210-s-open-rails-activities#16758 so don't know the extent of the naming problems. If it's only the folders which have incorrect names (ie the vehicle has its correct name, as supplied), it's possible to create a utility which will examine the .act and .con files of an activity and, where necessary, amend the folder name to match that in the currently selected installation. I'll probably be able to incorporate it into my existing MSTS_ActMan utility, as most of the information is already present within it. Obviously, if file names have been changed, this suggestion is null and void!!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeanddi Thu 26 Oct 2017, 8:43 pm

Hi Ged

From memory (not good!) it was a mixture of both file and folder names, so I doubt if a utility as you describe would have helped in this particular case.

Thanks for working on this though - it could possibly be useful in other cases.

Your utilities, and your help in answering everyone's questions, are a great asset to the world of MSTS and Open Rails, for which I, and I'm sure many others, would like to thank you

Regards
Mike.

mikeanddi

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Thu 26 Oct 2017, 10:22 pm

Hi Mike,
Many thanks for your very kind words Smile

I have now installed Huddersfield & Environs as a mini-route and managed to install the stock for the supplied activities. I found four separate consists/loose consists which used different folder names to those the stock was issued with, which my suggested utility could have corrected. There was one other case where the specified file didn't exist (DR_L&Y_CL27_1300T_cr.wag) which would be more difficult to reliably correct.

I didn't find any additional problems when adding the Down_Slow_Passenger_LYR activity

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Thu 26 Oct 2017, 10:36 pm

Ged, I have a DR_L&Y_CL27_1300T_CR.wag file in my DR_L&Y_CL27_1300 folder. It came with Dave Robinson's "L&Y Class 27 0-6-0 1300 In L&Y Lined Black Livery".

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Thu 26 Oct 2017, 10:49 pm

Hold on that. It was a modification I received from Brian by email. I am checking whether it was released.

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeanddi Thu 26 Oct 2017, 11:00 pm

Hi Ged

If you look in the Readme.txt file from the LYR Engine Pack (UKTS 37232) you will see references to the missing file "DR_L&Y_CL27_1300T_CR".

At this stage, things got too complicated for me, so I took advantage of MSTS Swap and Activity Analysis to get the activity running.

Regards
Mike

Edit - Posted before seeing David's posts.

mikeanddi

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Thu 26 Oct 2017, 11:11 pm

Yes it was included in Brian's L&Y Engine Pack (UKTS 37232) but the downloader needed to move files to the correct folder.

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Thu 26 Oct 2017, 11:38 pm

Hi David & Mike,
Thanks chaps - I didn't think of looking in the stock folder for a readme!!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Fri 27 Oct 2017, 10:30 am

Hi David, Mike, Ged and others,

I seem to have stirred up a real hornets nest with that activity Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes. I did read the readmes and followed the instructions. I always put my activities through Route-Riter to produce the Consists and Stock text documents plus the relevant UKTS download numbers when necessary and include these with the upload. In this case they weren't included as the stock came from the readmes, perhaps I should have done and this confusion might not have occurred - future activities will have these included.

Hopefully I haven't now confused you even more,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeanddi Fri 27 Oct 2017, 12:57 pm

Hi Stephen

Don't worry - it's great that you produce these activities, and I spend most of my life in a state of confusion anyway. Smile

Mike

mikeanddi

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sun 29 Oct 2017, 2:52 pm

Hi,
Apologies for returning to this subject, in an incorrect thread, but ...
The tenders used with the Aspinall L1 Atlantics were fitted with coalrails - I have included a TenderCoalrails shape file to be added as a FreightAnim object to the existing 1300 tender - see included tender .wag file - DR_L&Y_CL27_1300T_CR - (the _CR indicates this is the tender with the TenderCoalrails FreightAnim applied). Be sure to copy the following files, from the LYR-Engine-Pack folder  to the LY_CLASS27_0_6_0_1300 folder - the files to be copied are :   TenderCoalrails.s, TenderCoalrails.sd and BlackDirty.ace.
The above is from the readme in the LYR_Engine_Pack.  Nothing wrong with it, but I've searched high and low for the item high-lighted in red!  I accept that I could take a copy of the existing tender and add an FA, but with what parameter values?

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Sun 29 Oct 2017, 3:04 pm

Ged, I released this a few days ago and have prepared an upgrade for Brian which he has said he will upload this weekend.

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sun 29 Oct 2017, 4:09 pm

Hi David,
Thanks, mate Smile
I thought I was going doo-lally Mad

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth Sun 29 Oct 2017, 10:31 pm

Hi David and Ged,

I uploaded the updated V1.1 file over the weekend, however, I got a note from a Moderator that the received file was BLANK. So I'll have to upload again, probably today or tomorrow. I've had this problem before when I upload to UKTS - sometimes the connection gets a bit 'flaky' and spits the dummy.

Brian

ShortNorth
ShortNorth

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Mon 30 Oct 2017, 9:23 am

Hi Brian,
I've had this problem before when I upload to UKTS
So have I, even when I'm sure I did everything correctly!  I wonder if it's more likely to be a site software, rather than a connection, problem?!

Having said that, your file is available now! Thanks Smile

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Thu 02 Nov 2017, 4:40 pm

I have added a new facility to MSTS_ActMan.

The 'normal' program will report any missing stock when checking activities.  If that stock is "missing" because the activity author has used different folder names to those specified by the stock author, this program will now modify the activity and/or consist files to match the folder names used in the user's TRAINSET folder.   The modifications are performed automatically and no option is given to accept or reject them.

There are a few caveats :
1. If the activity author has used different file names to those used by the stock author, this procedure can't help.
2. If more than one stock item, within the current TRAINSET folder, has the same file name, the wrong item may be used.
3. If the ACTIVITIES folder contains a .asv file with a name matching that of a modified .act file, it will be deleted
4. There is no recovery routine, but re-installing an activity, allowing all file overwrites, will return the .act and .con files to their original state.

Attached is a .zip file containing v0.2a .exe file and an updated full readme. The files may be copied over any existing versions

As usual, I welcome your comments, criticisms and suggestions  Smile

Cheers,
Ged

EDIT : 6 November 2017 - The attachment has been deleted. Please see my next post.

Last edited by slipperman12 on Mon 06 Nov 2017, 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Mon 06 Nov 2017, 5:04 pm

Hi All,
My apologies, but there is a fundamental error in the Stock Fix procedure in MSTS_ActMan v0.2a Embarassed

My I ask those 5 members who have downloaded it to, please, destroy it as soon as possible. I apologise if you've been caused any problems by using it.

The problem occurs when a stock's file name is the same as its folder name (except for the extension), or the first part of the file name is the same as the folder name; this causes the file name to be modified instead of the folder name.

I have removed the attachment from my previous post and will attach a corrected version to a later post.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sun 26 Nov 2017, 11:59 pm

Hi All,
MSTS_ActMan
No, I haven't forgotten about this program!  It is with my testers now and when I get a clean bill of health, I'll upload it for a more extensive test.

MSTS_RDS
This is a "new" utility, which I've had sitting on my hard drive for a little while because I wasn't sure whether there'd be much call for it.  I sent it to my one tester, who I thought would be able to fully test it, but he is deeply involved with Open Rails and not able to spend so much time with MSTS. That's fair enough, but he said that it did what it was supposed to do and that maybe I should release it as a public beta.

What does it do??  It applies a randomly selected value, from a range entered by the user, to the MSTS .eng file Diesel Smoke parameters and Exhaust Nozzle width/s.  RDS stands for Random Diesel Smoke - I did think of calling it RanDieSmoke (but thought better of it!!).  There is already a utility called DPU which has a similar purpose, but requires the user to create individual batch files and, as far as I can see, doesn't use random values.

WHY??  Using DPU to set the smoke parameters for a particular loco type/class will, I believe, result in all of them showing the same smoke; using MSTS_RDS, each loco of a specified class/type (as selected by the user) will have different smoke parameters, within the user specified range.  

Although it's currently for use under testing conditions, it has its own installer, icon and full readme.   It does require the user to have, at least, a rudimentary knowledge of what the diesel smoke effects parameters do, although "silly" values will be rejected!  It is recommended that any folders selected to test this program be backed up, although the individual .eng file IS backed up (if the user hasn't de-selected it!) before being modified, if the user runs the program more than once on the same loco/s, their original backups will be overwritten.

As usual, please let me have your comments (good or bad), suggestions and bug reports.  Note : if you look deep enough, you'll see that the program's original name is DSP, but I felt that was too close to DPU and could be considered related to it; that wouldn't be any good for neither DPU's author, nor me.

Cheers,
Ged

EDIT : I have deleted the file as it contains a minor bug. There have been no downloads of it (no problem!), so no-one will be affected.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Ged's Utility Room - Page 3 Empty DIY Mini Routes

Post  slipperman12 Thu 28 Dec 2017, 6:54 pm

Hi All,
Today, I have uploaded a new version (1.1) of my DIY Mini Routes suite, although only MSTS_RunRouteBatch.exe is updated.

It's thanks to Roger (Procopius) who reported many errors when processing a batch file.  It was found that the unpacked route folder, and its subfolders, were set to Read-Only which meant that files could not be copied from the default routes into the new one.  Incidentally, the same errors were reported when running the batch file "normally" with the route installed in the default MSTS installation!  So, this wasn't a bug in MSTS_RunRouteBatch, but it has been modified to report if the new route's folder is Read-Only and gives the user the option to convert it to R/W before continuing with the process.

Coincidentally, while I was checking out Roger's report, I found a certain combination of XCOPY parameters and default MSTS folders which I hadn't come across in the many I had tested.  Suffice to say that it resulted in many files being erroneously reported as missing, although, strictly speaking, they were missing, they are not essential to running MSTS.  This, I accept, was a bug and has been fixed.  If you require a full explanation, please send me a PM or an email!!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Ged's Utility Room - Page 3 Empty Random Diesel Smoke (previously MSTS_RDS)

Post  slipperman12 Sat 06 Jan 2018, 9:56 pm

Hi All,
The change in name is due to the program now being able to modify up to 4 exhaust nozzle widths - MSTS only allows for 2, but OpenRails allows up to 4 in a "normal" MSTS .eng file.  Currently, the program doesn't check OR include files.

One of my testers has passed the utility (thanks David), but the other one feels that he isn't experienced enough in using the diesel smoke parameters to be able to offer a valid testing strategy or any constructive comments.  I am asking, therefore, for anybody who has played around with these parameters, and knows their effects, to give the program a once-over.  Open Rails seems to show any changes better than MSTS.  A full readme is included.

Thanks Smile

Cheers,
Ged
EDIT (01-03-2018) As there was only limited interest in this utility, especially on this side of the "pond", I have removed the attachment.  v1.0 of the program has been uploaded to trainsim.com

Last edited by slipperman12 on Thu 01 Mar 2018, 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sun 07 Jan 2018, 11:45 am

Hi All,
v2.0 of this utility has been uploaded to the TSSH library and will also be available on UKTS, ts.com and elvastower.com when approved.

The following bug fixes and enhancements (?) have been made since v1.0 was released :

1. All file names are shown as entered (ie none is now converted to lower case).
2. A STOCK FIX routine added to the Check Selected Activity, Check All Activities and Check All Consists options. This is to cater for the situation where an activity author uses
stock folders with names different to their default. Also, see 3.
3. To avoid the loco being shown as "UNKNOWN" by MSTS, the case of the engine's file name in the consist file's EngineData entry is compared with that in the eng file's Engine entry.
If it doesn't match, an error will be reported. STOCK FIX will correct the error. This will only apply to the first Engine listed in a consist.
4. Correction to a v1.0 error where a Traffic file is used to generate the list of Service files when the Activity file should have been used. The Traffic file may be used by more than one
Activity and not all Services listed there-in are used by each activity using it.
5. New function to save the unused consists into a folder in the CONSISTS folder. This may be used prior to deleting some, or all, of the unused consists.
6. Modification to the Delete Activity function; Path files will NOT be deleted.
7. Various minor bug fixes.
8. The uninstaller will now remove the Registry entry used by MSTS_ActMan.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next