Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Utility 22 Unable to unpack Severn Valley Railway CD's

2 posters

Go down

Utility 22 Unable to unpack Severn Valley Railway CD's Empty Utility 22 Unable to unpack Severn Valley Railway CD's

Post  andrew moody Sat 09 May 2020, 1:56 pm

Hello everyone.
I have made multiple attempts to unpack the Severn Railway Route. with Utility 22. I am able to follow the first part of the instructions up to where it says Get folder.
After both discs have been copied there is a message in blue "Press Get folder to create a new folder or select empty folder (?) to unpack the archive into.
I do not appear to have that option.
Pressing Get Folder, throws up a pane giving me the following options Desktop, Documents, Down loads, Music,Pictures, Videos, Local disc (C) Train (D) RW drive (E) DVD drive (F)
The obvious choice is Drive (D) where my D:\1MSTS is located but I cannot get any further because I then get either a error message saying System error (New folder selected)
Press Get folder to to select the previously entered folder.
Or more commonly, The selected folder is not empty press to create a new folder or select an empty one.
What do I have to do to actually unpack the Data into a folder and more importantly, what should the new folder be renamed and where does it go to.
I desperately need the BA Cabviews and Sound files which following a recent re-installation of 1MSTS, I neglected to save them.
Any help very much appreciated.
Thanks
Andy Moody

Andy Moody (AKA AJ52MDY on the UKTS site) West Moors, Dorset on the "Old Road" closed September 1964

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Utility 22 Unable to unpack Severn Valley Railway CD's Empty Re: Utility 22 Unable to unpack Severn Valley Railway CD's

Post  slipperman12 Sat 09 May 2020, 4:07 pm

Hi Andy,
When you press "Get Folder" the pane displayed shows a "Make new folder" button in the bottom left corner.  It is only active after you've selected a drive. Select a drive then press that button and give the folder a name - if you don't, it'll be called New folder, which is rejected as a name!  You can call the folder whatever you like and place it wherever you like (but NOT in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86), or any other Windows created folders on drive C:!!). This is a standard Windows function and is not part of Utility22!!

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Utility 22 Unable to unpack Severn Valley Railway CD's Empty Re: Utility 22 Unable to unpack Severn Valley Railway CD's

Post  andrew moody Sat 09 May 2020, 5:54 pm

Hi Ged.
Success  and failure!  Yes Utility 22 worked perfect, it unpackaged the files,ran the batch files and File  SVR is safely in my D drive.

So, I have run SVR disc one....And the computer says NO.............
Error number 0x80040702
Description Failed to load DLL:FSTYPE
Setup will now terminate.
Sorry, but I do not know what else to do.
Cheers
Andy

Andy Moody (AKA AJ52MDY on the UKTS site) West Moors, Dorset on the "Old Road" closed September 1964

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sat 09 May 2020, 7:11 pm

Hi Andy,
Sorry, mate, but you DO NOT need the CDs after you've run Utility22 because their data has been extracted.  I just don't know what you're trying to do with it!!

By the way, Utility22 DOES NOT run the SVR batch file - you need to do that yourself.

If you followed the instructions, you should have copied the GLOBAL, GUI, Routes, SOUND and TRAINS folders, from the folder you created, into your MSTS installation, which should contain all the 6 default routes.  Following that, you should have put the supplied SVR batch file in the  Routes\severn_valley1 folder and run it.  At this point you should be able to start MSTS and run the SVR route.

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Sun 10 May 2020, 1:39 pm

slipperman12 wrote:Hi Andy,
Sorry, mate, but you DO NOT need the CDs after you've run Utility22 because their data has been extracted.  I just don't know what you're trying to do with it!!
By the way, Utility22 DOES NOT run the SVR batch file - you need to do that yourself.
If you followed the instructions, you should have copied the GLOBAL, GUI, Routes, SOUND and TRAINS folders, from the folder you created, into your MSTS installation, which should contain all the 6 default routes.  Following that, you should have put the supplied SVR batch file in the  Routes\severn_valley1 folder and run it.  At this point you should be able to start MSTS and run the SVR route.Cheers,Ged

Thanks Ged. Utility 22 certainly did the business! When I pressed Get folder I renamed "New Folder to SVR, The next moment I was watching the batch files on my monitor
followed by a "Fanfare" and then told to quit. I certainly did not run the batch files myself.
The reason I attempted to run the CD was that I (wrongly) assumed the SVR file just contained Data and I needed to then run the two CD's,as there were no further instructions!
Obviously this was the first time I had attempted to use Utility 22,so hopefully I will know what to look for in the future, Clearly U22 is a very useful tool indeed and thank you very
much for creating it.Smile
One problem that has been thrown up though, are the BA sound files, All of the steam loco's keep on "Chuffing" with the regulator closed, as does the default Scotsman. and yes
I do have the UKTS 1434 Scot sound installed and it makes no difference. Interestingly it does not affect Locos with the 2 or 3 cylinder sounds. So looks like good old Windows 10
have struck again, I do have the enhanced sound files for 45110 48773 and 80079 I will have to alter the sound files in all of the SVR Loco's.
Cheers
Andy

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sun 10 May 2020, 2:12 pm

Hi Andy,
Sorry, mate, but I must repeat - Utility22 DOES NOT run the batch file!!  What you see is the data files being unpacked.  After you've copied the folders into your MSTS installation, you must then copy SVR-Batch.bat into the severn_valley1 folder then run it by double-clicking it.  All the batch file does is to copy the crossing .wav files from Europe1 (Settle - Carlisle) and the associated .sms file.  If you don't run the batch file, it's likely that, at some point, you'll encounter a 'missing .sms file' error.
I doubt very much if Windows 10 has anything to do with your 'chuffing' problem!!  

Cheers,
Ged

EDIT : I've just tried running the SVR 8F in the route and it doesn't 'chuff' when the regulator's closed, so I've no idea why yours does!  It's possible that you've got a different version of the CDs than mine, but nothing's shown on the CDs or in the manual - my 48773 .eng file is dated 22 Aug 2003 - 22:01, if it's of any help!  Also, the upgrade contains nothing for this loco.
I don't know what you mean by - Interestingly it does not affect Locos with the 2 or 3 cylinder sounds. If you mean the separately available sound packs then all locos in the SVR route use the BA_Common_sound folder and no others.

EDIT 2 : SOLVED!! I'm pretty certain that you have your "Quantity of Sounds" set to 'Medium' - if you set it to 'High', it won't 'chuff' when the regulator is closed. I don't know why anybody these days would have it set to anything but 'High' !! However, it does point to differences between the ScalabilityGroup 3 and 5 parameters in the .sms file, which I'll probably look at when I have a little time!

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Sun 10 May 2020, 4:42 pm

slipperman12 wrote:Hi Andy,
EDIT 2 :  SOLVED!!  I'm pretty certain that you have your "Quantity of Sounds" set to 'Medium' - if you set it to 'High', it won't 'chuff' when the regulator is closed.  I don't know why anybody these days would have it set to anything but 'High' !!  However, it does point to differences between the ScalabilityGroup 3 and 5 parameters in the .sms file, which I'll probably look at when I have a little time!

Yes, absolutely spot on, that obviously happened when I did my recent last reinstallation of MSTS, I must have missed that one.
Severn Valley route is up and running, the BA sound files are working as they should.
Once again thanks very much for your help Ged.
Best Wishes
Andy

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down