Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SouthEast - route in progress

+19
andrew moody
slipperman12
brace_2011
dforrest
StephenRWells
lateagain
neanderthal
mendes
mikeanddi
NiallGray
Markh5682
casperdog
jariddell
steamnut44
35005CP
mikehendle
stephenholmes
rufuskins
dee4141
23 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

SouthEast - route in progress - Page 5 Empty Re: SouthEast - route in progress

Post  dee4141 Tue 22 Dec 2015, 11:28 am

We had problems with MM files when preparing the download, but thought it had been fixed. Most downloaders seem to have got away with it but it seems that others are affected. I've asked Ian if he would include a "good set" of MM files with his Red Blind fix.
dee4141
dee4141

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Tue 22 Dec 2015, 1:28 pm

Hi David,
something strange is happening with some freight animation textures. Several of these do not show when the stock item is viewed in Shape Viewer but seem to show OK in MSTS.
A freight animation won't show in Shape Viewer, unless you load it as a second shape.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Tue 22 Dec 2015, 1:53 pm

slipperman12 wrote:Hi David,
something strange is happening with some freight animation textures. Several of these do not show when the stock item is viewed in Shape Viewer but seem to show OK in MSTS.
A freight animation won't show in Shape Viewer, unless you load it as a second shape.

Cheers,
Ged

Ged, I am aware of that!

The majority do show.  It is some particular animations which do not show.  That show the shape in white with no texture.

David
dforrest
dforrest

Location : St. Vincent and the Grenadines (and in an earlier life, Hull)

Back to top Go down

Post  dee4141 Tue 22 Dec 2015, 2:05 pm

David, can you be more specific please so that I can take a look.
dee4141
dee4141

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Latimer Tue 22 Dec 2015, 7:17 pm

I don't think there's anything wrong with file 2 with the ß character in the mm..... shape file names.

I've just downloaded it and unpacked it with both Winzip and 7zip and the resulting file names are correct.

Would those having problems with them please tell us what they used to unpack the files. I suspect it was the built-in Windows unzipper, which is known to have problems with special characters.

Bob.

Bob Latimer

Back to top Go down

Post  ianmacmillan Tue 22 Dec 2015, 8:17 pm

The freight animation textures will not show even in ShapeViewer.

This is because the texture is aliased to from within the shape file.
This saves having multiple instances of the same .act file.
For instance the same RCH_Loads.ace file is used by hundreds of wagons.

I used to include an unaliased folder but this made the common.loads folder too big.

ianmacmillan

Back to top Go down

Post  casperdog Wed 23 Dec 2015, 6:33 am

Hi,
I use a little program called 'Justunzipit' which normally extracts with no problem.
Re downloaded the file and used 7-Zip to extract and now the files appear in the shape folder.
Running Windows 7.
Cheers
Clive

Thames Trent V3 :30 miles to go.
casperdog
casperdog

Back to top Go down

Post  steamnut44 Wed 23 Dec 2015, 11:18 am

Not had chance to run all the activities yet, but did have a try with the Folkstone Harbour Activity. When reversing the tank loco from the yard, past the signal, I can't get the signal to clear, after pressing the Tab, so I can move forward to couple to the two pilot locos.. I have even reversed from the yard, as far back as the buffers but for some reason, the signal will not clear. After pressing the Tab, I just keep getting Permission Denied. and if I move forward past the signal, the Activity Ends, for passing a red light. I just can't get the signal to clear after pressing Tab. I have mentioned this on UKTrainsim as well.

Geoff  
STEAM will ALWAYS be King!   It gave us our Great British railway network, which we all enjoy through simulation
Very Happy
steamnut44
steamnut44

Back to top Go down

Post  dee4141 Wed 23 Dec 2015, 1:22 pm

Hi Geoff,
This act does work OK....please see the comments on UKTS.
dee4141
dee4141

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Thu 24 Dec 2015, 10:42 am

Hi Danny.

I managed to get the route (earlier than expected, a nice Xmas prezzie Very Happy ) and made a miniroute out of it last night rather than put it into my main MSTS, I gave it an explore route run in OR just to make sure I'd set it up OK, from what I have seen so far I'm really impressed with it, the detail is excellent, I'm really looking forward to start running the activities later. OK

Well done and a big thank you from me for such an excellent route, and all the long hours of work you have put into it. Very Happy

Merry Christmas.
Mark.

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

https://www.youtube.com/user/markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  dee4141 Thu 24 Dec 2015, 2:18 pm

Thanks Mark, I hope you enjoy the activities - they should keep you busy for a while! Very Happy .
dee4141
dee4141

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Mon 28 Dec 2015, 6:19 pm

I am having a problem leaving Dover with the Dover Freight, Having picked up the three rakes of wagons, then the brakevan, I reverse out onto the mainline stopping behind
the signal beside the motive power depot and bang opposite Archcliffe Junction signalbox. Is this the correct place to stop?
Only I get "Permission denied" and wait....and wait.....and wait.....
At 0530 the C H and the other Q1 on the shed get fed up and "Vanish" which suggests that I too should have departed by now. There are no other movements.
Has anyone else tried this activity? Any help appriciated.
Cheers
Andy

Andy Moody (AKA AJ52MDY on the UKTS site) West Moors, Dorset on the "Old Road" closed September 1964

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Tue 29 Dec 2015, 4:58 pm

andrew moody wrote:I am having a problem leaving Dover with the Dover Freight, Having picked up the three rakes of wagons, then the brakevan, I reverse out onto the mainline stopping behind
the signal beside the motive power depot and bang opposite Archcliffe Junction signalbox.  Is this the correct place to stop?
Only I get "Permission denied" and wait....and wait.....and wait.....
At 0530 the C H and the other Q1 on the shed get fed up and "Vanish" which suggests that I too should have departed by now. There are no other movements.
Has anyone else tried this activity? Any help appriciated.
Cheers
Andy

Andy, I have successfully navigated past here. Did you reverse until the reversing point displayed disappears and then run forward? This worked for me.

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  dee4141 Tue 29 Dec 2015, 5:08 pm

Hi Andy. It's some time since I ran this one, but I just had a quick look at the running in AE. As you reverse back to Archcliffe Jn the player loco is just about in line with the last (closest to Dover Marine) loco in the C,H,Q1 consist when it trips the Reversing Point - possibly you should have reversed back a tad further? The C,H and Q1 consist is still there when the Player Consist moves away. Ooops - looks like David just beat me to it! Very Happy
dee4141
dee4141

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Wed 30 Dec 2015, 8:08 pm

dee4141 wrote:Hi Andy. It's some time since I ran this one, but I just had a quick look at the running in AE. As you reverse back to Archcliffe Jn the player loco is just about in line with the last (closest to Dover Marine) loco in the C,H,Q1 consist when it trips the Reversing Point - possibly you should have reversed back a tad further? The C,H and Q1 consist is still there when the Player Consist moves away. Ooops - looks like David just beat me to it! Very Happy

Andy, how are go getting on with this activity? I have reached Pluckley but have been delayed twice by broken couplings. Fortunately I had made frequent saves!

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Thu 31 Dec 2015, 2:45 am

Dover Marine

Completed!!!

A mammoth three hour activity which I thoroughly enjoyed. Thank you.

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Thu 31 Dec 2015, 11:31 am

Hi David.
No I have not so far, but will give it another go soon, have been sidelined with Britannia;s and M7s..
Cheers and happy new year
Andy

Andy Moody (AKA AJ52MDY on the UKTS site) West Moors, Dorset on the "Old Road" closed September 1964

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Tue 05 Jan 2016, 9:45 pm

Having worked out how far I needed to set back (Not behind the signal!!!) Managed to run the activity at least as far as Ashford but came unstuck in the works with a SPAD
and guess who had not done any saves!!!
My main problem though is I cannot get any speed out of the Q1 33036, I can maintain boiler pressure steam useage etc but no matter how I alter regulator/cut off settings
I just lose speed not getting much more than 20mph out of it.
No I know from my childhood, that the "Charlies" as we used to call them used to sometimes be fielded vice an S15 0n freight trains through Romsey, they used to rattle them along at 45MPH No problem.

I have tonight run 33036 light engine in explore mode, but could not get any more than 30mph with 60% regulator 25% and I an running on level track along side the sea!
It is as if there is an invisable loco brake. applied.
Any advice on how to drive this beast at a reasonable speed would be most appreciated.
Cheers
Andy

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  dee4141 Tue 05 Jan 2016, 10:45 pm

Have you opened the Dampers Andy - key M?
dee4141
dee4141

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Tue 05 Jan 2016, 11:12 pm

Hi Andy,
I've just run 33028 with two "birdcage coaches" from Westerham through Brasted and Chevening Halt and got up to 41mph at the latter! This was without the dampers (thanks Danny), because I always forget them!!

I used about 80% Regulator and 35% cut-off, but that could be a bit wasteful, so you have to keep an eye on F4 to ensure you're accelerating and F5 to make sure the steam usage rate is lower than the steam generation rate (except when water is being fed to the boiler!) I also found that loco was prone to wheel-slip, especially when starting, so don't open the regulator too wide at the beginning.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Tue 05 Jan 2016, 11:15 pm

dee4141 wrote:Have you opened the Dampers Andy - key M?

Yes Danny, I have tried everything.
I can get the loco to move initially, but cannot get it to pick up speed and as soon as I adjust either the regulator or reverser. It just starts slowing down.
As soon as I shut off steam, The projrcted speed (F4) goes to zero and the loco grinds to a halt.
Cheers
Andy

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Wed 06 Jan 2016, 12:32 am

slipperman12 wrote:Hi Andy,
I've just run 33028 with two "birdcage coaches" from Westerham through Brasted and Chevening Halt and got up to 41mph at the latter!  This was without the dampers (thanks Danny), because I always forget them!!

I used about 80% Regulator and 35% cut-off, but that could be a bit wasteful, so you have to keep an eye on F4 to ensure you're accelerating and F5 to make sure the steam usage rate is lower than the steam generation rate (except when water is being fed to the boiler!)  I also found that loco was prone to wheel-slip, especially when starting, so don't open the regulator too wide at the beginning.

Cheers,
Ged

Hi Ged
I ran 33028 and the two birdcage coaches between Dover and Folkestone , the most I could get up to was 37MPH , it was more like 28-30 with regulator full open 35% cut off.
I made up a consist of 30534 and the same two coaches, Had to keep holding back was reaching 65MPH  at times 50% Regulator, 15% cut off.
This tells me that there is defently something amiss with the Q1s, I have also tried one of the Eastleigh ones and one from the Q1 Mega pack with similar results.
Perhaps I will find another Q class and try that on the Dover goods.
Cheers
Andy

Update: I have found a Q1 that works properly on the Dover goods,I didn't realise that I had it stored away in my "Toy Box" It is no longer available on UKTS sadly.
33038 was made by Kim Dunrose, I suspect back in the BATS era, and boy does it run smoothly, No holding back with this one, It seems to like the regulator at 80%
and reverser at 50-55%, keeps up full boiler pressure and steam generation, I got just under 40mph betweenDover and Folkestone, once I had cleared Sandling we were up to the 45mph maximum for freight all the way to Ashford. having to shut off steam and no rapid slowing down like the others.
I really would have preferred to have 33036 but I just cant get up any speed with either the Tonbridge, Eastleigh or flying dustbin fleet even running light engine.
Cheers
Andy

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5