Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Open Rails reports

3 posters

Go down

Open Rails reports Empty Open Rails reports

Post  Jonathan David Mon 22 Aug 2022, 7:05 pm

I am getting the occasional odd message saying that there are unexpected activities for various routes. This is usually because the routes are not present in that group of routes (eg SOB when I am running a route in the "American routes" folder.
Any idea where these reports are stored on OR? I can't find any.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Open Rails reports Empty Re: Open Rails reports

Post  slipperman12 Mon 22 Aug 2022, 8:42 pm

Hi Jonathan,
I'll leave it to others more knowledgeable than I am, but as far as I know, the only report that Open Rails creates is the log which, by default, is stored on your Desktop.

Sorry, but what you're saying doesn't make any sense to me!  I'm assuming that the SOB route is in a different installation to the American routes.  Again, just as far as I know, OR only runs one route in one installation at a time.

Are you running a 'normal' activity, or a timetabled activity? If it's the latter, then I definitely can't help you Sad

It'd be a help if you could post the log file.

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Mon 22 Aug 2022, 9:32 pm

I have my routes divided into a number of folders: British, American, Australian & NZ, European, Narrow Gauge and one or two separately. because they need to be run as mini-routes.
I was Resuming an Activity in an American route in OR and received the following message as follows.
Open Rails

Warning: Save 17/09/2019 08:50:53 found from a route with an unexpected name:
sob.
Warning: Save 18/09/2019 08:58:56 found from a route with an unexpected name:
sob.
Warning: Save 02/08/2020 16:521:43 found from a route with an unexpected name:
Le Tortillard.
Warning: Save 03/08/2020 11:40:00 found from a route with an unexpected name:
Le Tortillard.
and six more for sob.
Sud Ost Bahn is in the European Routes folder and Le Tortillard is in the Narrow Gauge Routes folder.
I wanted to post a screengrab as a Word file but it gave the message
Could not upload file : exceeded total storage space. (Free space : 6)
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Mon 22 Aug 2022, 10:08 pm

Hi Jonathan,
Please clarify!
I have my routes divided into a number of folders: British, American, Australian & NZ, European, Narrow Gauge and one or two separately. because they need to be run as mini-routes.
I can understand that the mini-routes are separate installations, and maybe I've got it wrong, but are the first 5 folders all in the same installation?  If so, I think that's why you're having the problem, but I'm intrigued as to HOW you've actually set them up!!

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Sun 19 Mar 2023, 3:18 pm

A new query. I recently installed the Japanese Omura route. Route-Riter finds nothing wrong with it but when I try to run an activity I get a message that it cannot run it because a track shape is missing from the T-section file. I have tried it with T-section 56 which as far as I am aware is the most recent. It suggests that I may not have X-tracks or Y-tracks installed, but I have both, with the most modern versions I can find.
Any suggestion what might be missing?
I notice that I never answered the question above. Within my D drive I have separate folders with the various sets of files in each including pretty well everything but the three actual MSTS files, ie Global, Routes, Trains etc. I did this simply to help with management, and to reduce the time for Open Rails to bring up the options properly, especially when I want to explore a route and I heed the list of consists. In fact I have recently divided the British folder into three for pre-nationalisation, post nationalisation and "blue" period and beyond because it was getting unmanageably big..
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sun 19 Mar 2023, 3:32 pm

Hi Jonathan,
Sorry, mate, but I'm still not able to visualise how you've got everything set up!

EVERY installation must have its own GLOBAL, ROUTES, SOUND and TRAINS folders.
The shapes for XTracks and YTracks are contained in the GLOBAL\SHAPES folder.
When you run Route_Riter on an installation which isn't the MSTS default, are you 'telling' it where to find the installation? If not, AND you're not using my MSTS_Swap utility, then R_R is only 'looking at' the default installation.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Mon 20 Mar 2023, 8:11 am

I think I understand what the structure should be.
To take one example, I have a folder called "British routes" on my D drive, Within that there is a complete MSTS installation except the actual three exe files, ie Hlobal, Routes, Fonts, GUI, Utils, Trains etc. This includes X track and Y tracks in the global folder as instructed in the installation instructions. As far as I am aware they should not normally need to be within the individual route folders. Though I have never been clear whether they should be within the Global folder or free standing so put copies in both places. That is a question you can no doubt answer.
The same applies to the "Japanese routes" folder though at the moment it has only the two default routes plus this new one.
The only other thing which is common to all the "installations" is cut down versions of the default locomotive and EMU files which often have their sound and cab files called up by other rolling stock. So the British default stock in the British installation will be complete but the "foreign" ones will just have the sound and cabview subfolders.
I am aware of the need when using Route-Riter to direct it to the appropriate folder by setting the path (too many times when I have forgotten not to remember most of the time!).
The annoying thing about the current error message is that it does not state what is missing.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Mon 20 Mar 2023, 9:35 am

Hi Jonathan,
The shape files for XTracks, UKFS tracks, YTrachs, etc., and New Roads should all the in the GLOBAL\SHAPES folder, unless otherwise specified.

I don't currently have the Omura route unpacked, but doesn't the Open Rails log give more information?

Cheers,
Ged

EDIT : I now have the route installed - no problems running a 'seaside' activity.
Please note that XTracks and New Roads will install into the default MSTS installation so you'll need to adjust the installation path to point to the Omura root folder.
The OR log reports many missing sound files and a1tbuffer.s as missing.  The former is solved by copying the complete default MSTS global SOUND folder into the Omura root folder. The latter should be copied from any MSTS installation.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Mon 20 Mar 2023, 11:55 am

There doesn't seem to be an error log. I have looked both within the route folder and that for Open Rails. Or am I looking in the wrong place?
I just get the attached when I try to start an activity in Open Rails.
X-tracks and Y-tracks are both in the global/shapes folder. But the error message refers to the tsection.dat file.
I have just seen your extra message.
Jonathan
Attachments
Open Rails reports Attachment
error message.doc You don't have permission to download attachments.(95 Kb) Downloaded 3 times

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Mon 20 Mar 2023, 1:55 pm

Hi Jonathan,
Thanks for the screenshot, but it's so small!  I had great difficulty seeing it!!

However,
Open Rails puts its log on your Desktop by default; you should see a 'page' icon with OpenRails... underneath it.  Double click it and it'll open in NotePad.  You can always attach it to a post, BUT as they are very often quite large, it's better to zip it up and then attach the .zip file to your post.

I think your problem is that you haven't got the track shape files in your GLOBAL\SHAPES folder or tsection.dat file is not in the GLOBAL folder

Have a look in the GLOBAL\SHAPES folder - the first file should be :  A1t0_3mStrt.s, probably dated 27/09/2006.
Both XTracks and New Roads install tsection.dat file build #38 (unless you've got a later build already installed)  This file will be in the GLOBAL folder

I haven't installed YTracks and Open Rails doesn't complain so I don't think it's required (but I could be wrong!)

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Tue 21 Mar 2023, 8:07 am

If only it were that easy.
First, I do have an Open Rails icon on the desktop but double clicking it simply opens Open Rails, no report.
Secondly, I do have all the X-Tracks files installed, in fact the first one in the list seems to be A1t0_2mStrt. And I have tsection.dat version 56 installed.
So some quirk of my machine I fear. But thanks for your help.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Tue 21 Mar 2023, 12:31 pm

Hi Jonathan.

The  A1t0_2mStrt shape is one of those shapes not included in the standard X-tracks downloads, it needs to be downloaded separately.

It can be downloaded from here.............................

https://www.simtreni.com/download/redirect.php?dlid=38

Hope that helps.

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

https://www.youtube.com/user/markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Tue 21 Mar 2023, 4:24 pm

Hi Gentlemen,
@Mark : Jonathan has only said that the first file in the GLOBAL\SHAPES folder is A1t0_2mStrt - NOT that he's missing it!

@Jonathan : Make sure that 'logging' is ticked on the Open Rails menu screen
As Mark has pointed out, file A1t0_2mStrt is not part of XTracks (or YTracks!) so I don't know how you have it in your system!
If XTracks has been correctly installed, in the root folder, which contains the GLOBAL, ROUTES, SOUND and TRAINS folders for the Omura route, you should have a folder named XTracks and a file named  setup.log. The folder contains various readme files in different languages together with some image files.  If these two itema are not present, then XTracks has NOT been installed for this installation!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down