Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Models for Open Rails

4 posters

Go down

Models for Open Rails Empty Models for Open Rails

Post  john13 Fri 19 Jun 2020, 2:43 pm

I have a few 'almost finished' bits of narrow-gauge rolling stock which I'd like to try to get completed. Some were originally aimed at MSTS but got sidelined some years ago when the other Sim appeared. Others were started with the intention of - trying to, a least - produce more detailed models. I'd quite liked the modelling part , but my aged PC and my aged grey cells struggled to get through the 'blueprint' technicalities with any minor change taking far too long to allow sensible progress. I suppose it might be quicker now I have an SSD drive, but I don't think I'll bother.

I've not done much Sim-wise for a while as real-world issues have taken up spare time. However, I've now collected together a small menagerie - mostly of models for Talyllyn railway which I don't think have been produced by others yet. I also have a Snowden Mountain diesel almost ready.

So, to move on, I'd appreciate some advice. In particular, is there any limit on the 'polycount' for OR models? And with that in mind, would more complex models for OR not be usable in MSTS? Looking at various postings over the last while, there seems to be a case for concentrating on OR. I've seen that there are issues to be address with .eng files and may subsequently need some advice on that score too.

Any guidance gratefully received!

John

john13

Back to top Go down

Models for Open Rails Empty Re: Models for Open Rails

Post  slipperman12 Fri 19 Jun 2020, 7:03 pm

Hi John,
It's always good news when new rolling stock, especially for narrow gauge routes, becomes available Smile

However, I don't know if you are aware, but the only MSTS Talyllyn route was created in 2003 when no narrow gauge track was available. It was, therefore, created to use the default MSTS track with the appropriate up-sizing of stock, buildings, etc.

On the other hand, the Snowdon Mountain Railway was created in 2013 and uses the more realistic metre-gauge track (Z-Tracks).

Cheers,
Ged

Keep Safe!!

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  j3801 Sat 20 Jun 2020, 12:31 pm

Hi John,

I for one will be looking forward to seeing what narrow gauge stock you have up your sleeves.
I know that the Talyllyn Railway and its stock has been modeled in the past, at double their original size. So, if your models are what have been previously produced, but at true scale, I would look forward to them!

In terms of poly counts, I have yet to hit ORs limits with my models (which some of mine are very high, 25000+ polys – not a model that I have released in case anyone was wondering).
Depending on how the model is structured with its sub-objects you can get some highly detailed models into MSTS, but they will slow the sim down quite a fair bit, even on a high-end machine.

If you do need any modelling assistance, I would be willing to try and help when I can.

Regards,
Justin

Models for Open Rails Sig10
j3801
j3801
Admin

https://tsforum.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  john13 Sat 20 Jun 2020, 4:38 pm

Hi Ged and Justin,

Thanks for the responses. The Snowdon Mountain loco is 'correct scale' . It was ready to go all those years ago when Doug K was close to finishing the original route. I'm chipping away at recreating the .eng file for that as the original got lost in a hard-disk issue. I should also do a cabview for it, though I never managed to get any detailed imagery of the cab insides. I should be able to reskin this to cover several other loco's from the SMR fleet.

I'm assuming that the Talyllyn stock should still be "2X" scaled as that was what my only previous upload ("Alf") was made as. I've not yet put my MSTS copy of the route into OR as yet but presumed that the scaling will remain the same.

One of the models I've been looking at - in terms of getting the livery textures up to date - is around 7000 poly's at present, so well below your high score!

I'll see if I can post some WIP pictures in the 'workshop/Navvies' area.

Thanks again,

John

john13

Back to top Go down

Post  darwins Sun 21 Jun 2020, 9:10 am

I understand with OR that the poly count can be "very high" so don't worry too much about that.

There are some clues I have been given to getting best performance from the model - most of these probably apply to MSTS as well but I didn't know before!

(1) Keep the number of texture calls down by
(a) using fewer textures - just one per model if you can - no problem if it is 2048 x 2048 though (or perhaps even larger)
(b) using fewer materials in the model - in MSTS alpha textures did not show the full range of colours in the same way as normal textures. In OR you can use alpha textures for everything if you want.

(2) Have fewer named parts in the model

(3) Including LoD - the furthest LoD does not need to include things like wheels and animated - just the largest single shape in the model is probably enough

Also remember you can add multiple Freight Anims in OR - so you can have coal going down in the bunker as well as driver, lamps...

darwins

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down