Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NO SMOKE ON AI LOCO'S

4 posters

Go down

NO SMOKE ON AI LOCO'S Empty NO SMOKE ON AI LOCO'S

Post  Stefcurtis Tue 18 Feb 2014, 6:55 pm

Hi,
   does anyone know why all of my AI diesel loco's are not producing any smoke at all?

I did read that it can be linked to low FPS rates etc so i created a simple activity of 1 driving loco passing another AI one on a straight piece of track without any extra's (loose consists) to test it.

I ran 3 pre-made AI loco's i had in my train folder light engine & all of them produced no smoke at all.

I had previously created 6 of my own activities using AI loco's i had created myself (renaming files, removing .cvf & cab.sms files, changing light settings etc) & there was no smoke.

I managed to get external sound by changing cab cam settings all okay.

It's just a lack of smoke now!

Any idea's fella's?

Stef  Rolling Eyes
Stefcurtis
Stefcurtis

Back to top Go down

NO SMOKE ON AI LOCO'S Empty Re: NO SMOKE ON AI LOCO'S

Post  slipperman12 Tue 18 Feb 2014, 8:56 pm

Hi Stef,
I don't think it's just yours!!
I've just checked a couple in MEP and there was no exhaust from them - maybe they never have! I must admit, it's something I haven't thought about Smile
It does seem strange that AI steam locos smoke, but diesels don't. I would have thought our friends over the pond would have noticed - they like their clag!!
I've searched the trainsim Forum and found a post dating from 2006 stating that Kuju didn't include coding to produce smoke for AI diesels - so there you are Smile
You might be luckier with Open Rails - I haven't checked.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Stefcurtis Tue 18 Feb 2014, 9:10 pm

Hi Ged,
nice to hear from you.

It does seem a bit mad not having smoke on AI loco's.
After all, if any of them need smoke it's the AI ones as you are sitting in the cab watching them pass.
You are not watching the smoke coming off the roof of your own loco as you go along therefore your own loco is less important in my view!
The Sim is supposed to be realistic & certainly in the BR blue era there wasn't a smoke free diesel in existence!

Sorry to be a bit of a twit but what's 'Open Rails'!  Embarassed 

Stef
Stefcurtis
Stefcurtis

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Tue 18 Feb 2014, 9:28 pm

Hi Stef,
Open Rails is a new train sim being developed to run MSTS content. Have a look at the website : http://www.openrails.org/ There's also a Forum on UKTS.
Graphically it's very good and allows the use of a widescreen monitor with any distortion. There are several users who are using it in preference to MSTS even though it is still a work-in-progress.
Personally, I don't think it's ready yet to run activities to the same standard as MSTS, but it's getting there! Currently, there are no editors, so the MSTS Activity and Route Editors still have to be used.

... and it runs under Windows 8 with an AMD Radeon graphics card!!

Open Rails can co-exist with MSTS without problem - it uses a separate folder and can link to as many MSTS installations as you wish, including Mini-Routes.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Stefcurtis Tue 18 Feb 2014, 10:31 pm

Hi Ged,
i now have Open Rails up & running!

There IS smoke on AI loco's but it looks a bit false!

Definetely worth a look though as my FPS rate at Wath has climbed to a staggering 27FPS from a feeble 11!

Other good points are i can go full screen on my new 23'' monitor with no distortion to the aspect ratio & it also does not need to run through Train store.

I need to do a lot more on it before i make my mind up yet though.
It'll definetely be better if the sim doesnt crash!

Thanks for the info, i appreciate it.

Stef  Very Happy
Stefcurtis
Stefcurtis

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Tue 18 Feb 2014, 11:24 pm

Hi guys,
I don't understand why the A1 Diesel locos in MEP don't show? I have checked many times; especially on and Act I uploaded only a few days ago for LSE with DEMU's and these have smoke coming out???
I do think it might be down to the FPS and what is built up into MEP. I personally don't have this route myself yet. But I think I might have to buy and delve into it a bit..... There are a few oddities appearing.
Cheers
Andy

Andy - TSSH Footplate Crew
35005CP
35005CP

http://nineelms.freeforum.me.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Wed 19 Feb 2014, 4:51 pm

Hi Andy,
Have just had a few spot-checks on your 1007 activity and none of the AI diesels have any exhaust!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Wed 19 Feb 2014, 5:53 pm

Hi Ged,
Apologies you are correct as far as A1 Diesels go..... I must be thinking of when I tried this in Open-Rails..... Strange how A1 Steam locos emit smoke when Diesels do not?
Does anyone else have any more information as to why this is???
Cheers
Andy

Andy - TSSH Footplate Crew
35005CP
35005CP

http://nineelms.freeforum.me.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Stefcurtis Wed 19 Feb 2014, 9:47 pm

Hi,
just ran an activity i created myself & i am very impressed with Open Rails!

As far as i can see it's very very good & a definite improvement for me at least!

Maybe it's because i am new to MSTS that i am easily converted unlike some others who have been using the original for many years.

There are a few things i am not fond of, including the inability to use the mouse on the cab controls & a very silent horn!
Apart from that all seems to be pretty good.

I will continue to run it & hopefully i will continue to be impressed!

Thanks...

Stef  cheers cheers cheers
Stefcurtis
Stefcurtis

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Wed 19 Feb 2014, 10:10 pm

Hi Stef,
I don't know which version of Open Rails you are running, but if it's the last full release, 0.9, may I suggest that you try the Experimental Release.  These are usually issued every week and the current version (X2027) is a vast improvement on 0.9 Smile Get it here : http://www.openrails.org/experimental.html  and download the Executable binaries; you can store it, and run it, separately to 0.9.  

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Stefcurtis Wed 19 Feb 2014, 10:37 pm

Hi Ged,

thanks for that i'll have a go!

Stef  Smile 
Stefcurtis
Stefcurtis

Back to top Go down

Post  Stefcurtis Thu 20 Feb 2014, 7:41 pm

Hi,
further to the previous posts, i am having real problems in Open Rails mastering a simple operation!

In my activity i run light engine from Wath to a siding down the line containing a consist of coal wagons i have to collect & drop back at Wath Yard.

I offer the loco up to the consist & couple up fine.

Apply the train brake to Emgcy & select neutral on the Controller.

I then press CTRL + E to change cabs which is now fine.

If i press W to go forward the Track monitor arrow selects a reverse direction! So... i select S to reverse & the arrow points forward even though i am technically in reverse!

I release the train brake to released & apply throttle to 100% but the train will not move!

It appears that the consist is handbraked as if i uncouple the loco moves forward!

Is it 'me' or is it 'Not quite there yet'!

Any idea's guys?

Thanks...

Stef   BashHead 

P.s - i am running the latest experimental download version.
Stefcurtis
Stefcurtis

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Thu 20 Feb 2014, 10:37 pm

Hi Stef,

I'm no expert with Open Rails but coupling is more realistic than with MSTS. If you press F1 a screen appears with a long list of commands. Scroll down until you find items referring to Coupling and uncoupling. I think the sequence goes :- couple as normal, connect hoses, charge brakes and then you should be able to release the brakes and away you go. My terminology might not be right but it is that sort of process. I don't know if it makes any difference if the wagons are fitted or unfitted. The reverser working in the opposite direction is something we have to live with - hopefully it will be corrected at some point.

Hope this has been of some help,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  Stefcurtis Fri 21 Feb 2014, 4:41 pm

Hi Stephen,
sorry it's been a while to reply but i've been at work!  Sad 

Thanks for your advice.

I just drove to the aforementioned siding & gave it a go.
To be honest it all looks too complicated just as i was getting the hang of MSTS which is a lot better in my opinion regarding ease of controls with the mouse/ keyboard combination!

I also found that there are some differences between Open Rails & MSTS that were annoying.
I have another activity i created in MSTS where the scenario is you are sat in the cab of a 47 at York on a parcels working for ages waiting for the road ahead.
You sit watching the world go by (65 AI traffic movements!) for approx 1 hr.
Now, it took a blo*dy long time to co-ordinate the movements as i wanted them to occur but eventually succeeded.
This activity was run on open rails & the AI sequencing was different!
So, for the time being i am going to stay with MSTS regardless of smokeless AI & FPS issues!
I think i was happier!  cheers  cheers 

Maybe in the future the 2 sims will work 'the same' but i doubt it as the signalling have been redesigned i think & thats why (i guess) my sequencing is out.
Creating new activities afresh & testing initially on open rails would be okay but then they would have differences if run on MSTS i would imagine!

We'll keep our eyes on it though eh!

Thanks...

Stef  Cool
Stefcurtis
Stefcurtis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down