Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Static wagons and dead locos

3 posters

Go down

Static wagons and dead locos Empty Static wagons and dead locos

Post  Jonathan David Sun 28 May 2023, 9:41 pm

I have been rationalising the sound files used in the stock used for my British routes.
In doing so I have found two things which seem to me to be odd.
The first is many "dead" locos having the same sound references as the "live" ones, as though they were in steam. Some have what I would have expected, the type of sound reference used for wagons, tenders etc.
The second is that many of the static wagons have sound references. Obviously if they do not move it does not actually matter as no sound will be produced, but presumably it puts extra load on the processor.
Thoughts?
Jonathan

Last edited by Jonathan David on Sun 28 May 2023, 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Static wagons and dead locos Empty Re: Static wagons and dead locos

Post  slipperman12 Mon 29 May 2023, 9:29 am

Hi Jonathan,
You are absolutely right regarding the static wagons.

As for the 'dead' locos, if they were being moved as part of a consist, they would still need some 'rumbling' sounds but certainly not 'chuffs', escaping steam or whistle sounds.

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  trainmad Wed 02 Aug 2023, 10:30 am

In MSTS the dead locomotives had to be .eng files as otherwise the rods wouldn't animated. Typically dead diesel locomotives were .wag files as they didn't have the problem.

OpenRails is different and you can have a dead steam engine using a .wag file as it will animate the rods - might be worth looking into, although I appreciate it is more work to replace them.

trainmad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down