Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Locos to be Turned

2 posters

Go down

Locos to be Turned Empty Locos to be Turned

Post  35005CP Wed 29 Jan 2014, 7:29 pm

Hi everyone,
I am working on an Activity currently where 2 steamers pull a service into London Waterloo. A Diesel will be on the rear to take it so far on it way to Weymouth on the DC V6 route. Does anyone know where the train or the 2 double headed steamers can be turned in order so that they are at the front of the train? (I hope this makes sense?)
Thanks in advance
Andy

Andy - TSSH Footplate Crew
35005CP
35005CP

http://nineelms.freeforum.me.uk/

Back to top Go down

Locos to be Turned Empty Re: Locos to be Turned

Post  andrew moody Thu 30 Jan 2014, 9:27 pm

Hi Andy.
If the steam locos are to be "Dragged" on the rear of the steam train towards Weymouth. The first and only place that they can turn is
Eastleigh depot, via Eastleigh South Jn on the Botley line.
In real life the steam is always on the front from Waterloo or more likely from Victoria.
On arrival at Weymouth, the steam has to go to Yeovil Junction via Maiden Newton and reverse at Yeovil Pen Mill to use the turntable there.
This normally results in the return train becoming heavily delayed, so in recent years the return train has been Diesel hauled to Southampton with the steam on the rear and then steam hauled via Romsey Laverstock loop (Salisbury) and Andover.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Andy.

Andy Moody (AKA AJ52MDY on the UKTS site) West Moors, Dorset on the "Old Road" closed September 1964

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Thu 30 Jan 2014, 11:43 pm

Hi Andy,
Thanks for the reply and the great insight. The reason I asked is because I have started and pretty much completed the Activity for DC6 route and it is starting from the Midhants Railway (My favourite line and stomping ground/hobby that I used to volunteer at firing the fine locos, before I was made Redundant)
I am starting the Activity with Steam heading down to London Waterloo where the Activity will end. I then want to do another later on with the Diesel pulling the stock and the steamers out of London Waterloo and Uncoupling them (And possibly the Support coach and getting them turned so they re on the front of the train)
If you know of anywhere I can make this into a second Activity I would really love to hear. It doesn't necessarily have to be heading out to Weymouth. Just as long as it is part of the Cathedrals.
Thanks again.  Very Happy 
Andy

Andy - TSSH Footplate Crew
35005CP
35005CP

http://nineelms.freeforum.me.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Fri 31 Jan 2014, 6:18 pm

35005CP wrote:Hi Andy,
Thanks for the reply and the great insight. The reason I asked is because I have started and pretty much completed the Activity for DC6 route and it is starting from the Midhants Railway (My favourite line and stomping ground/hobby that I used to volunteer at firing the fine locos, before I was made Redundant)
I am starting the Activity with Steam heading down to London Waterloo where the Activity will end. I then want to do another later on with the Diesel pulling the stock and the steamers out of London Waterloo and Uncoupling them (And possibly the Support coach and getting them turned so they re on the front of the train)
If you know of anywhere I can make this into a second Activity I would really love to hear. It doesn't necessarily have to be heading out to Weymouth. Just as long as it is part of the Cathedrals.
Thanks again.  Very Happy 
Andy

Hi Andy.
I don't have the Dorset Coast route, so am not sure if it includes the London Suburban network. My thinking was that for your purpose, you could turn it on either the Hounslow or Kingston loops.
Of course in real life the locos would go to Southall for servicing via Kensington Olympia and Mitre Bridge.
I too am a MHR Volunteer, in the grade of signalman which I have been since 1977, sadly my "Day job" and some heart surgery I underwent in 2012 has caused me to lapse.
I am retiring at the end of April and hope to be able to resume this coming summer.
Cheers
Andy

Andy Moody (AKA AJ52MDY on the UKTS site) West Moors, Dorset on the "Old Road" closed September 1964

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down