Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible MSTS route based on Nine Elms

+4
dee4141
NiallGray
35005CP
rufuskins
8 posters

Go down

Possible MSTS route based on Nine Elms Empty Possible MSTS route based on Nine Elms

Post  rufuskins Thu 29 Aug 2013, 7:50 am

During discussions over another subject Andy came up with the idea of a route based on Nine Ems, which quite took my fancy. This represented a project that could be accomplished in a relatively short period of time - I mean relative in MSTS route building time! Whether this actually comes to fruition is open to debate.
As an initial step I have perused the steam allocation for Nine Elms (70A) for 1960 to see what MSTS models are available for a possible stock pack and came up with the following:-

Nine Elms Allocation in 1960 by Type and MSTS availability
5700 = available
M7 = available
N15 = available
H15 = ???
“700” = available
V = available
C = ???
R1 = ???
O1 = available
D1 = available as SR version only
H = ???
L1 = available as LBSCR version only
L = ???
E4 = ???
Q1 = available
WC = available
WC(R) = available (?)
BB = available
MN(R) = available (?)
5MT(BR Std) = available

Obviously it would be necessary to obtain permissions for renumbering and for non BR liveries to be repainted, and it would also be necessary to see whether any of the outstanding classes might be made? Of course I may have missed some that are available but marked [= ???]. If so please let me know.

I understand that Andy has track plans. I see this as an interesting idea that could perhaps be created by the combined efforts of TSSH members.

I have always liked MPD based model railway layouts, and therefore will look at this seriously.

Please let me have any comments?

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Possible MSTS route based on Nine Elms Empty Re: Possible MSTS route based on Nine Elms

Post  35005CP Thu 29 Aug 2013, 10:26 am

Alec,
Thankyou for putting this idea out to everyone. Here is the Track Plan. It isn't the best, but does give you a good idea of the track layout.

Possible MSTS route based on Nine Elms Nine_e10

Andy - TSSH Footplate Crew
35005CP
35005CP

http://nineelms.freeforum.me.uk/

Back to top Go down

Possible MSTS route based on Nine Elms Empty Re: Possible MSTS route based on Nine Elms

Post  rufuskins Thu 29 Aug 2013, 1:58 pm

This morning I have "rooted" about on the net to see what other track plans might exist for Nine Elms MPD. and its immediate environs. Not a lot of luck so far.
If anyone can help please with additional layouts in particular circa late 1950's - early 1960's please let me know?
I will need to see what can be obtained from the local history section of the nearest library.
Once I have a track layout I can see about buildings, which could prove useful in my TSM learning!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Thu 29 Aug 2013, 5:20 pm

Looking at those track plans it's going to be resource-heavy.

The default track might buy you some FPS, but when it comes to sidings the best way to recreate them would be using UKFS track as you'd be able recreate it more realistically.

I would say it's not a short thing to do because with placing that much track, you would need to save and backup a lot because the sim will be working overtime in RE!

Niall

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Thu 29 Aug 2013, 7:20 pm

Niall
Thanks for the hints, but actual route building is some way down the line as I need to do some more research and sketch a few things out.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Thu 29 Aug 2013, 8:18 pm

I'm in touch with some of the Nine Elms Guys and one of them thinks he has a track-plan somewhere, so he is going to try and dig it out for me (With the location of everything such as the Coaling Stage etc)
Lets hope we can get all this together and put this into action down the line. I for one would love to see this.

35005CP
35005CP

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Thu 29 Aug 2013, 8:33 pm

rufuskins wrote:Niall
Thanks for the hints, but actual route building is some way down the line as I need to do some more research and sketch a few things out.
No worries, Alec, just telling it like it is.

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Thu 29 Aug 2013, 9:01 pm

Hi all,
Surely Nine Elms MPD can't be anything like what Dorset Coast is like to run at times can it?
My thoughts are to get the Nine Elms MPD and out onto the mainline to London Waterloo and probably as far as Clapham Junction? what are everybodys thoughts on it?
Maybe this site too is helpful and worthy of a Link to the Layout/s on the Links Forum?

35005CP
35005CP

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Mon 02 Sep 2013, 8:34 am

Hi Alec and all,

How about this map?

Possible MSTS route based on Nine Elms Nine2010

35005CP
35005CP

Back to top Go down

Post  dee4141 Mon 02 Sep 2013, 11:12 am

Hi Andy, I admire your enthusiasm in taking on this project, but have you thought about potential activities? All the lines coming from the shed onto a turntable would surely pose limitations.
dee4141
dee4141

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Mon 02 Sep 2013, 1:28 pm

dee4141 wrote:Hi Andy, I admire your enthusiasm in taking on this project, but have you thought about potential activities?  All the lines coming from the shed onto a turntable would surely pose limitations.  
I agree. Turntables and MSTS sadly don't mix.

If I'm right, the turntable can be animated, but you can't use it to get locos in and out of the shed in that pic due to the pathing issues it creates.

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  gswindale Mon 02 Sep 2013, 9:28 pm

How about, basing the route on the depot; but rather than the turntable at the end extending forward a little and placing in a loop? If done correctly; it shouldn't cause any problems for the sim I wouldn't have thought (although I know it doesn't always like loops). Thus using the guts of the depot; but a little artistic licence to make it work?

Truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
gswindale
gswindale

http://www.makingtracks-online.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Mon 02 Sep 2013, 9:46 pm

Hi guys,
My thoughts are to have Nine Elms Depot and everything in between up to London Waterloo and down to Clapham Junction.. Thus creates some Activity possibilities with shunting around the Depot and Engines Light Engine up to London Waterloo (Tender first) to pick up stock. This is my idea/plan anyway.
But thankyou for the feedback. Keep them coming! Very Happy 

35005CP
35005CP

Back to top Go down

Post  mikehendle Tue 03 Sep 2013, 2:23 pm

Hi Andy,
Instead of the depot,maybe Nine Elms Goods yard might be easier to make,there would be scope for freight activities, shunting the goods yard,you could still have Waterloo to Clapham Junction included.

Probably have loco's from other divisions of the SR and possibly other regions as well,the only loco's possibly needed are the H16 and G16 Tanks,there are some Rebuilt WC and BB class loco'sin the library
Mike

Mikeex Zuid Afrikaans Sporweg employee[i]
mikehendle
mikehendle

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Tue 03 Sep 2013, 8:33 pm

I'm pleased to see some discussion taking place. My first thought is to remind myself that MSTS is a perfect candidate for compromise, and in that respect I would opt for licence at the turntable end. I also like Mike's idea of perhaps switching attention to the goods yard. This has all arisen because of Andy's keen interest (understatement) in Nine Elms, and my thoughts about a small route that wouldn't potentially take a lifetime or would act as a diorama showing a shed full of steam locomotives with a degree of movement perhaps in train spotting mode.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Tue 03 Sep 2013, 10:30 pm

I have come across a series of books by Paul Bolger published by Book Law at a reduced price of £5.99 including "B R Steam Motive Power Depots Southern Region".
Can anyone tell me what sort of content is included?

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Wed 04 Sep 2013, 12:02 am

Hi Alec and all,
Sorry to rock the boat about Nine Elms, but I am in touch with many still with us today. Also knew others whom have passed on to pastures new and because my dad whom was a Nine Elms engineman also, I have caught the bug and the History and everything to go with it has intrigued me whilst growing up!

35005CP
35005CP

Back to top Go down

Post  mikehendle Wed 04 Sep 2013, 9:56 am

Hi Alec,
If you like I could send you my 1959 Combined Volume at the back it has a list of all loco's and what shed they were based at,although it is for 1959 it might help you.
or try this site, http://www.railuk.info/steam/getshed.php?id=129
Mike

mikehendle
mikehendle

Back to top Go down

Possible MSTS route based on Nine Elms Empty Re:Possible MSTS route based on NINE ELMS

Post  peterchurcher Wed 04 Sep 2013, 12:34 pm

Hi Alec
I have a copy of that book and it covers Pre-Grouping Origin, when it closed, shed codes
Allocations for year 1950, 1959, 1965 and also sketches of shed layouts

Pete

peterchurcher

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Wed 04 Sep 2013, 7:36 pm

Pete/Mike
Thanks for the replies. My Longworth book adequately covers allocations, but the layouts are of interest. I shall therefore seriously consider the purchase.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Wed 04 Sep 2013, 7:52 pm

Hi everyone,
I am going to try and get as many photos and details as I possibly can together! With the contacts I have and ex-Nine Elms Enginemen whom I know, I am hoping for those too to beable to help. "Planning" is the mesaage of the month! There will most certainly be a lot of that as well as me teaching myself Route Modelling down the line. If anyone else wants to get involved, then lets (Later on down the line) then we need to sit down and work out how we are going to achieve this.

35005CP
35005CP

Back to top Go down

Post  SDtrains Sun 06 Oct 2013, 11:08 pm

Hi to all interested,

I have just come across this and I can tell you that at least one version is in existence, and having had a go at it, one of the main issues that crossed my mind is 'How was this all operated?' . It was obviously a very busy part of the network, with locos arring and departing in practically every hour of the day and night, goods arriving and departing from both north and south sides, much shunting in both yards, and coordination
between the main signal boxes between Waterloo and Clapham. My version of it, incomplete as it is, is called 'South West One', and runs all
the way to Exeter. Apart from putting in all the new track to Exeter, all of the yards, many mods such as re-laid out Salisbury, new loco sheds etc
have all happened. I managed to overcome some technical problems earlier in the year, so now signalling will work. The Waterloo end was realigned fro Earlesfield to Waterloo to get the correct gradients, but it still looks quite alot like Dorset. I still have much to do at Nine Elms,
but things are happening there. I don't really like my track layout around Battersea, but I have managed to get the bridge looking more like it used to. The major signal boxes have all been attempted on the basis of photos, but they capture the appearance of the prototypes. I do not have good pictures of the goods sheds at Nine Elms, Battersea or Stewarts lane, so I have had to make soe improvisations, as they are all gone now.

Regards,

SDtrains

SDtrains

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Mon 07 Oct 2013, 8:50 am

Nice to hear from you Steve, and even more so to hear that your route "South West One" is progressing. Both myself and others would appreciate some screenshots in the Navvies area if you could find the time.
Perhaps Andy's website here may offer some information on Nine Elms?

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  mikehendle Mon 07 Oct 2013, 8:55 am

Hello Steve,
It's nice to hear that you are still working on your route,I would love to Feltham marshalling yard,especially the hump there.
Mike

mikehendle
mikehendle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down