Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MID EAST COAST

3 posters

Go down

MID EAST COAST Empty MID EAST COAST

Post  Bronzino Mon 11 Dec 2023, 12:08 pm

Hi all,
I recently discovered a copy of Brian Morrison's excellent book STEAM AROUND LONDON ( The Post War Years ) on page 99 is a very interesting photo that I think would provide the inspiration for a steam activity on Mick Clarkes MEC route. The photo shows a passenger train hauled by a B1 passing Canonbury station on the North London line heading towards Finsbury Park. The description attached  states that it is the 3.16pm  Saturday Only from Broad Street to Cambridge arriving at 5.27pm serving 13 stations en route. I unfortunately do not possess the I.T. skills to create such an activity here's hoping that one of you TSSH geniuses out have been inspired. Fingers crossed LOL. Cheers KenH.

Bronzino

Back to top Go down

MID EAST COAST Empty Re: MID EAST COAST

Post  slipperman12 Mon 11 Dec 2023, 7:54 pm

Hi Ken,
Thanks for an interesting suggestion - I don't suppose you know which 13 stations the 15:16 (Saturdays only) stopped at, do you?
Regarding that photo - is it available on a website?

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Bronzino Mon 11 Dec 2023, 9:13 pm

Hi Ged, I have found one of my old  Eastern Region passenger timetable from 1955 which shows this working :-  Broad Street dep.3.16pm:Finsbury Park arr.3.27pm.dep.3.29pm:Hatfield arr 3.51pm.dep.3.52pm:WGC arr.3.56pm.dep.3.57pm:Welwyn Nth dep.4.02pm:Knebworth dep.4.08pm:Stevenage dep.4.16pm:Hitchin arr.4.22pm.dep.4.26pm ;Letchworth dep.4.32pm:Baldock dep.4.37pm:Ashwell dep.4.45pm:Royston 4.51pm:Meldreth dep.4.57pm:Shepreth dep.5.02pm:Foxton dep.5.08pm:Harston dep.5.12pm:Cambridge arr.5.22pm. The B1 shown was at the time allocated to 34A so I would imagine it was probably a top shed crew manning it, I do know from my past working the area that top shed men had the route knowledge for this route.. I have yet to trace the photo on the web. Regards KenH.

Bronzino

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Mon 11 Dec 2023, 9:26 pm

Hi Ken,
Many thanks for the details - they should be very useful Smile

I told Mick Clarke of your suggestion and he's asked for details so I'll pass them on to him.
You never know - your suggestion may be realised before too long, but no promises!

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Bronzino likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  MEC Tue 12 Dec 2023, 10:03 am

Hi Ken,
Thanks for posting info about the Broad St Cambridge SO Service. Would it be possible for you to post the photo which started this conversation?

One of the problems with real timetables against what is achievable in OR is that the distances in the real world don't necessarily match those in the simulated route. There is also the problem of motive power and the load i.e. number of coaches. Many locations that were in the original MidEast UK are not correctly positioned, this means most places south of Retford. However, the overall distance to Doncaster and beyond is correct. The MEC distance from Broad St to Cambridge is 73 miles. I think this may be slightly long.

Having said all that I have just done a run from Broad St to Cambridge with a B1 and 8 coaches ( I think it more likely would have been 7 or even just 6 coaches). I arrived at Cambridge at 5.27  Cool but virtually all the departure times were different to the timetable you posted. I note your original message said 5.27 arrival and the timetable says 5.22. But 5 minutes difference is hardly anything to worry about given the limitations of the route against the real world.

I am sure it will be possible to create a realistic activity reflecting this service. When it will happen is another matter as I am very busy creating the Witham Loop and New Line. Lincoln to Boston and Lincoln to Little Steeping/Firsby.

Mick Clarke
MEC

MEC

Bronzino likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Bronzino Tue 12 Dec 2023, 11:17 am

Hi Mick, Hope this helps. Cheers KenH

Bronzino

Back to top Go down

Post  Bronzino Tue 12 Dec 2023, 11:19 am

2nd try

Bronzino

Back to top Go down

Post  Bronzino Tue 12 Dec 2023, 11:33 am

apparently too big to send as attachment

Bronzino

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Tue 12 Dec 2023, 1:35 pm

Hi Ken,
Sorry, mate, but you can't add attachments to posts here.

If it's a photo (eg .jpg) you can use the 'Host an image' icon - (16th in from right hand side) to display the image within the text.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

MID EAST COAST Empty photo

Post  Bronzino Tue 12 Dec 2023, 2:36 pm

MID EAST COAST Img_7214
Hi Ged will this work perhaps lets find out

Bronzino

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Tue 12 Dec 2023, 6:15 pm

Hi Ken,
Well done, Sir, Smile

It looks as if there are 4, or maybe 5, coaches on that train so Mick was about right.

I appreciate that the timetable you have will only show passenger trains but could it be used to identify trains that the Player would 'see' on its run to Cambridge?

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  MEC Wed 20 Dec 2023, 11:19 am

I have created a B1 consist with 6 Coaches and a path to replicate the service. Despite the anomalies with distances between the real world and ORMEC I managed to arrive at Cambridge at 17.21hr. The maximum difference in timings was around 2 minutes for some stations. I allowed about 1 minute for each station stop. Quite amazing really. Shocked

Mick MEC

MEC

Back to top Go down

Post  Bronzino Wed 20 Dec 2023, 2:14 pm

Hi Mick, Thanks for the post, you have inspired me to have a go in open rails activity explore route  I have found Broad St to Hunstanton  and Broad St to Hitchin they sound about right. I also have found some decent BI passenger consists on Scottish Central Plus so ; "right away driver". Cheers Ken H.

Bronzino

Back to top Go down

Post  MEC Wed 20 Dec 2023, 2:19 pm

Bronzino (KenHarland) wrote:Hi Mick, Thanks for the post, you have inspired me to have a go in open rails activity explore route  I have found Broad St to Hunstanton  and Broad St to Hitchin they sound about right. I also have found some decent BI passenger consists on Scottish Central Plus so ; "right away driver". Cheers Ken H.

Ken, send me your email address and I will give you my path and consist which will be better as they are from MEC. You will just need to copy them into your route folders.

Mick
MEC

MEC

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down