Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Couple Of Route Building Questions

5 posters

Go down

Couple Of Route Building Questions Empty Couple Of Route Building Questions

Post  OldVern Mon 11 Feb 2019, 11:26 am

Sort of hit up the MSTS RE again having got seriously disillusioned with Trainz and DTG. Starting with a short freelance route using UKFS which is actually going quite well, apart from one issue: There seems to be far more terrain bleed over sections of track on a gradient on hitting the Y key than using conventional track system. Is there a particular setting in the Terrain box it's advisable to use? At present I've got embankment and cutting set at 38 with width at 16.

Unrelated but can anyone point me at a reasonable mid size UK terminus building. Checked UKTS and all I could find was a rather old model based on Bath Green Park, but has platforms attached. I will take a trawl through Thames/Trent and Bristol/Cardiff later, see if there's anything I can use (with permission) but at a quick glance there's not that much in the file libraries even after all this time.

OldVern

Back to top Go down

Couple Of Route Building Questions Empty Re: Couple Of Route Building Questions

Post  terrycunliffe Mon 11 Feb 2019, 7:00 pm

OldVern wrote:Sort of hit up the MSTS RE again having got seriously disillusioned with Trainz and DTG. Starting with a short freelance route using UKFS which is actually going quite well, apart from one issue: There seems to be far more terrain bleed over sections of track on a gradient on hitting the Y key than using conventional track system. Is there a particular setting in the Terrain box it's advisable to use? At present I've got embankment and cutting set at 38 with width at 16.

Once you've sorted your terrain as per your settings, then try adjusting the cutting or embankment settings to a high value, say >60 and the width to a low number of 8 or 10, and try then to again work down the gradient. That should eliminate the bleed, whilst still keeping the wider smoothness of the terrain.
T

terrycunliffe

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Mon 11 Feb 2019, 7:50 pm

Hi Vern.

One little trick I used to use on bits of stubborn terrain bleed was to place a short piece of track (10m or less) on top of the terrain bleed, then lower it down to the current track level then press Y, then delete the short piece of track, that usually works.

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

https://www.youtube.com/user/markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  OldVern Mon 11 Feb 2019, 9:05 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. It was always necessary to go back down the gradient after working on a steep section uphill, but not at values around 300 - 450. However once you've worked with UKFS, it's hard to go back to default even with X-tracks, for UK routes at least.

Hopefully this project will actually mature into something I can release.

OldVern

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth Mon 11 Feb 2019, 11:15 pm

Hi Vern,

Another suggestion.

I found the problem is exaggerated by long lengths of track - say, a 250m straight on a 0.600 grade - pressing Y will 'adjust' the terrain over the whole length of that track, but, as the default terrain grid is at 8m squares, the terrain doesn't sit perfectly with the track, a few spots above the track, and a few holes under the track. Same thing with curved grades, but more apparent.

One of the things I use to minimise this, is that for that 250m straight, replace it with say 6 x 25m sections- then each section press Y and the terrain will adjust better, not perfect, but better than a long track. Similarly, with long curves - say, a 20deg 250m radius - I now use 4 x 5deg sections, and get a better fit.

Worth a try - however, I cannot say if this will work with UKFS track sections, as I only use X-Tracks.

Regards, Brian

"Any railway that paints their locomotives such a magnificent shade of red, must be the most superior in the land" (apologies to the late David Jenkinson).
ShortNorth
ShortNorth

http://shortnorth.steam4me.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  OldVern Tue 12 Feb 2019, 3:17 pm

I might drop back to X-Tracks for the next one! I think there was a UKFS style texture on UKTS for normal/XT which looks quite good, either that or Scottrax2 is pretty good.

One of the joys of now being retired is I have more time to dabble around with the editors!

OldVern

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Wed 13 Feb 2019, 10:25 am

Hi Vern,

As an activity writer the only problem I have with X-tracks is that where tracks cross each path isn't protected so it's easily possible for two trains to collide Exclamation Sad Exclamation

Regards,

Stephen

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  OldVern Wed 13 Feb 2019, 11:56 am

That's interesting Steve, I didn't know that - I would have assumed all the crossing pieces were coded up to be recognised by the signalling logic.

One disadvantage of UKFS is that you don't have the special point pieces to break up the long stretches without a junction. Not a problem if running in OR but some people still prefer MSTS so that means using rolling stock or locos with modified coupling break strength. Of course I could be mistaken on that as there are quite a number of UKFS pieces that don't appear in the manual (I can only find the 1.0 version) so I stand ready o be corrected!

OldVern

Back to top Go down

Post  terrycunliffe Wed 13 Feb 2019, 2:16 pm

StephenRWells wrote:Hi Vern,

As an activity writer the only problem I have with X-tracks is that where tracks cross each path isn't protected so it's easily possible for two trains to collide Exclamation Sad Exclamation

Regards,

Stephen

Providing the route builder has used bona-fide crossing track sections (where each node is protected), this shouldn't happen.
I indeed have come across routes where 'crossings' have simply been two overlapping standard track sections, which will result in probable collisions as you describe.
T

terrycunliffe

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Wed 13 Feb 2019, 2:28 pm

Hi Terry,
I don't know how Brian ( Short North) makes his routes but I have to be very careful when making activities for his routes because of this problem.
Regards,
Stephen

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  OldVern Wed 13 Feb 2019, 4:34 pm

On the subject of station buildings and indeed other scenic objects, Thames Trent is a virtual treasure trove.

I'm not sure if Clive still frequents this forum but can I take it permission to use the objects as described in the readme still applies?

Many thanks, in advance.

OldVern

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down