Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Windows VISTA Advice

+3
Scampispeedway
Markh5682
dforrest
7 posters

Go down

Windows VISTA Advice Empty Windows VISTA Advice

Post  dforrest Wed 20 May 2015, 4:33 pm

I am still running Windows VISTA Home Professional, 64 bit on my desktop computer.

I am being told be some people that this is old and antiquated and I should upgrade to a more up-to-date version of Windows.  At this point I must point out that I am having no problem with it and and am happy using it.  It meets my needs and to be honest, I do not see any need to upgrade.

This is my main computer and I use it mainly for running train simulators (MSTS and Open Rails) together with all the utilities associated with these.  I have Open Office for my word processing and spreadsheet needs.  I have other general utilities and obviously run video files for which I use VLC.  I use Firefox and Thunderbird for internet use.  I make sure that the operating system and software is always updated to the latest version.

My system is a AlienWare dual core CPU running at 3GHz.  I have 4GB of RAM.  My graphics card is an NVIDIA Ge-force GT640 with 2GB of RAM.  I have dual monitors.

Can anyone offer me any advice on this?

Last edited by dforrest on Wed 20 May 2015, 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

David
dforrest
dforrest

Location : St. Vincent and the Grenadines (and in an earlier life, Hull)

Back to top Go down

Windows VISTA Advice Empty Re: Windows VISTA Advice

Post  Markh5682 Wed 20 May 2015, 5:06 pm

Hi David.

If you are happy with Vista, there is no reason that you cannot carry on using it for now.

Eventually Microsoft will stop supporting it with security updates, when that happens it will be time to start thinking of upgrading it, though even then is is not essential to upgrade it if you don't want to, lots of people still use XP even though it is not supported any more.

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

https://www.youtube.com/user/markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  Scampispeedway Wed 20 May 2015, 5:18 pm

Hi David, if you are happy with Vista stick with it as I have done with XP when my computer died
and had to get a new one that came with Win 7 installed.
After looking at the hassle of installing MSTS using that system, I had it dual booted after asking
Ged for advice and never looked back.
For interest I run Kaspersky Internet Security in both partitions using a single licence and had no
problems with virus attacks.
When the time comes to get a new one I will get any system installed deleted and stick with Win 7
and XP as I have got both the original Licence discs safely stored away in a box.

Bob
Scampispeedway
Scampispeedway

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Wed 20 May 2015, 7:43 pm

HI David,
As Mark and Bob have said, if you're happy with Vista, there's no reason to change Smile
When Microsoft stop supporting it, you can still keep using it, but you have to be aware that there wouldn't be any more security updates, but as long as you have a good anti-virus and are careful which websites you visit, you should be OK.

Cheers,
Ged
...oh, I nearly forgot - take regular frequent (probably weekly) backups so that if the worst does happen you don't lose too much work.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Wed 20 May 2015, 10:57 pm

Hi David,

As everyone else has said if you are happy with Vista then by all means keep it! Just be aware of everything that Ged has said.

Personally, for me I think Windows 7 is the best yet! Not sure what I am going to do yet with my free upgrade to Windows 10 when it comes out!! Hopefully, with my Intel HD3000 built in Display it won't scramble the MSTS graphics like windows 8 does on the Intel HD4000 card built into my other Laptop!!

Cheers

Andy

Andy - TSSH Footplate Crew
35005CP
35005CP

http://nineelms.freeforum.me.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Wed 20 May 2015, 11:09 pm

Hi Andy

If you have problems with Windows 8, I should give that Windows 10 upgrade a miss if I were you, there are more discussions RE: that upgrade elsewhere in here.

https://tsforum.forumotion.net/t924-windows-update-kb3035583

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

https://www.youtube.com/user/markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Sat 23 May 2015, 2:25 pm

Thanks to you all for the help. I will be staying with VISA.

David
dforrest
dforrest

Location : St. Vincent and the Grenadines (and in an earlier life, Hull)

Back to top Go down

Post  dee4141 Sat 23 May 2015, 8:00 pm

I use Vista 64Bit and see no reason to change either.
dee4141
dee4141

Back to top Go down

Post  sbowness Sat 23 May 2015, 9:31 pm

dee4141 wrote:I use Vista 64Bit and see no reason to change either.

Vista got a bad wrap because initially it was rubbish (just like Win Cool. Once the Service Packs are installed it becomes quite usable (just like Win 8.1, except for the framerate thing).

Stephen
sbowness
sbowness

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down