Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replacement for TSUnpack

4 posters

Go down

Replacement for TSUnpack Empty Replacement for TSUnpack

Post  slipperman12 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 6:33 pm

Hi All,
Some time ago, Jeffrey Krausyao mentioned that a replacement for TSUnpack was being developed. I was fortunate to be able to locate the site and obtain the executable and source files. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the executable to work, so I compiled the source files and the resulting binary file worked, but not properly, especially with regard to the Open Rails profiles list. I discovered that the software WOULD work with older installations of OR - this is because the profiles are now stored in the Registry instead of a separate file on the hard drive. I have attempted to contact the author, but without success. As the program is covered by the GNU General Public License, I am permitted to make any changes deemed necessary and make it available for free.

The program I've uploaded has the Open Rails selection disabled, but I'm taking a crash-course in C# in order to re-instate it!

I hope the readme contains everything needed, but please contact me if you have any problems. It has been tested on XP, Vista 64-bit, Win 7 32- & 64-bit and Win 8.1 64-bit, with help from Alec (rufuskins) and David (dforrest).

It is now available as UKTS file ID 34103

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Replacement for TSUnpack Empty Re: Replacement for TSUnpack

Post  sbowness Wed 08 Apr 2015, 9:37 pm

Can't keep a good developer down...

Stephen
sbowness
sbowness

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Wed 08 Apr 2015, 9:40 pm

I will download tomorrow Ged and see if I can work out what the issue might be..... I'm no developer, but I can pick up some things..... Some of the time!

Cheers

Andy

Andy - TSSH Footplate Crew
35005CP
35005CP

http://nineelms.freeforum.me.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Wed 08 Apr 2015, 9:55 pm

Let me add that this is a utility I have been waiting for for a very long time.

With this, not only can .apk files be unpacked to routes at the default MSTS installation as stored in the windows registry (as is the case now), they can also be unpacked to any location of the users choice. This means that they can now be unpacked directly to a mini route or to a temporary location for inspection and possible later use.

David
dforrest
dforrest

Location : St. Vincent and the Grenadines (and in an earlier life, Hull)

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Wed 08 Apr 2015, 10:50 pm

Hi Andy,
see if I can work out what the issue might be.
You've got me puzzled, mate Question As far as I know, I don't have an issue with it -- Now!!
I am currently testing what will be the final version, although experienced C# programmers may complain at what I've done, but at least, I think it works Smile Anyway, if they don't see the source files, my secret is safe Twisted Evil

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sat 11 Apr 2015, 10:01 am

Hi Everybody,
Having done some more tests, I've come to the conclusion that this program doesn't do what it says on the tin! Embarassed This could be why the original author abandoned it, but a note to that effect anywhere in the source files would have been appreciated!!

I, therefore, apologise to all who've used, or tried to use, it, and I have asked Peter to withdraw it from the UKTS library, at least until I'm happy with it (if that ever happens!).

As I mentioned before, I'm very new to C# and could well be struggling - I can supply the source files to any more experienced programmer. As a side note, the original author states he used Visual Studio 2008 whereas I'm using Visual Studio Express 2013; it automatically converted the files, but could that be the problem?

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Tue 14 Apr 2015, 1:26 pm

Hi All,
This is a short update on my adventures with this program Smile

It seems that if the apk file is less than 5000 bytes in length, it is unpacked without any problems, but I'd like confirmation, or otherwise, from any who were able to download APKExtractor.

The limit may be imposed by the zip routine being used, or its parameters. There's nothing in the program, that I can see, which imposes such a limit, but it could be that the call to the zip routine requires a parameter to over-ride a default value. This is the direction of my current investigations, but if anybody has any other ideas, I'll be pleased to hear them. For information, the source program is written in C# with Visual Studio Express 2013 being used to build the executeable.

Regards,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sun 19 Apr 2015, 9:35 pm

Hi All,
Update.

As I suspected, the problem with unpacking some apk files lay with the external unzipping routine (dll file). Changing to a C# built-in zip unpacking procedure resulted in success where there had previously been failure.
However, testing with larger files uncovered a problem with how the original author had made some assumptions regarding the format of the unpacked apk file. Without going into technical details, I have been able to work around it and these large apk files now unpack correctly (up to now!). Ideally, it would need a complete rewrite of that part of the program, but my C# skills aren't up to that level ... yet!!

I've made it my target to get 50 apk files correctly unpacked before asking for testers, but please let me know if you'd like to help. I'll not be running the 50 activities, but will be comparing the files created by APKExtractor with those created by TSUnpack using file/folder comparison software.

I've also got the program working with newer versions of Open Rails, which uses the Registry, instead of a file, for holding its Installation Profiles.

Onwards and upwards!!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Mon 06 Jul 2015, 11:36 am

Hi,
I apologise for not updating this topic in line with events Embarassed

See this : https://tsforum.forumotion.net/t944-replacement-for-tsunpack  for the latest news

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Thu 01 Oct 2015, 9:01 pm

Hi,
Hi All,
Version 3.05 has now been uploaded to the file libraries at UKTS, trainsim.com and Elvastower.com and should be available very shortly.
Details are as described in my post of 10 Sept. in the Open Rails Forum : https://tsforum.forumotion.net/t944-replacement-for-tsunpack#13492

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down