Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Computer replacement &Windows 11?

2 posters

Go down

Computer replacement &Windows 11? Empty Computer replacement &Windows 11?

Post  andrew moody Sun 27 Feb 2022, 5:10 pm

Hello everyone.
I need some advice about replacing my very aged computer which dates back to 2005 or 2006. It's Processor is Intel core 2 Duo cpu E7500 @ 2.93 GHz
Installed Ram 3.00GB System type 64 bit operating system X64 based processor.
I started with Windows XP, upgrading to Windows 7 then onto my current windows 10 Home version 21H1.
I had some repair work done last November, the engineer did warn me that my tower was on it's last legs and now I cannot load any discs and it has already "Spat out" MSTS.

So, I need some advice as to what size of computer tower (I don't want lap top) I need that to still be able to run both MSTS 1 and Open rails also what sort of graphics card do I need?
I currently have Nevida GT6400 installed, I seem to remember way back when, that people had serious problems running MSTS with other graphics cards.
Also is anyone running MSTS with this new windows 11?
Best wishes.
Andy Moody.

Andy Moody (AKA AJ52MDY on the UKTS site) West Moors, Dorset on the "Old Road" closed September 1964

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Computer replacement &Windows 11? Empty Re: Computer replacement &Windows 11?

Post  j3801 Mon 28 Feb 2022, 11:51 am

Hi Andy,

I am using Windows 11 and my system handles both MSTS and OR quite well.
I have used quite a few "after market" patches on my copy of MSTS: namely the latest Bin patch, the old extended drop down menu patch, and a wide screen patch.
But I do have a clean original setup of MSTS with only the official Microsoft patches, and it still works fine.

As for a computer setup, mine is a customized Dell brute setup, intended for heavy 3d modelling and graphics design work, which for most things is complete overkill. After swapping out its "mere mortal" 1tb HDD that always seemed to be having a heart attack for a 2td SSD it does basically everything without breaking a sweat. The 56gb of RAM helps as well Shocked (3x 16gb and the factory original 8gb).

When I run OR it hovers over 120fps and MSTS runs around 80fps or higher.

The monsters specs are:
  • Dell XPS 8930 from 2018
  • 8th Gen Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @3.2GHz (6 core, 12 logical processors) [can be boosted to 4.6GHz but I haven't]
  • 56Gb RAM DDR4 2666MHz High Performance PC4 21300
  • NVIDIA GeForce 1660 Graphics Card (Intel UHD Graphics 630 on board)
  • Main hard drive: 2Tb Western Digital Blue SSD
  • Secondary hard drive: 6Tb HGST HDD (second hand off eBay split to run as a 1Tb drive for MSTS projects with a full backup of my Dropbox and a 5Tb Gaming drive - all current 9 MSTS installs)
  • Tertiary hard drive: 3Tb Western Digital Blue HDD (Main backup/dump drive for files)
  • Realtek Audio 5.1 surround sound on board
  • Standard Dell CD/DVD writer drive
  • Built in Bluetooth and Wi-fi (bypassed to use external Wi-fi receiver due to computers location)
  • Logitech Z506 surround sound speakers (subwoofer is currently laying on its side being used as a monitor stand, it does give better base when angled at the wall behind it)
  • Dell 24 inch Ultra High Definition monitor (which never came with a HDMI cable Mad  I had to buy one the day it arrived to get it to work...)
  • Brother MFC-J53200W A3 colour printer/scanner/fax(not used) circa 2016
  • Medion USB Graphics pad from Aldi circa: 2012
  • A cheap eBay region free external Blu-ray player
  • A cheap eBay light up gaming keyboard (around $30AUD)
  • A cheap light up gaming mouse (around $20AUD)

The light up keyboard and mouse were done for mostly as a joke due to the overall price of the XPS system that I put together was over $2000AUD less than the equivalent Dell Alienware gaming computer with lower specs. My total costs for the system are just around $2600AUD. I still have its original Dell keyboard and mouse, as well as those from my previous 2008 computer.

Justin

Computer replacement &Windows 11? Sig10
j3801
j3801
Admin

https://tsforum.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Wed 02 Mar 2022, 2:31 am

Thanks Justin.
Wow, that is some computer you have. I don't think I would need half of what you have.
Very interested in the fact that MSTS will run on this Windows 11, I was rather worried that there might be problems.
I had better first of all state that I am not computer savy so all of these specifications sadly do not mean a lot to me, I basically want something that will run the internet, Can store photographs and more importantly run MSTS and Open Rails without problems.
How much RAM would I need and I understand that I would definitely need a Nvidia graphics card but how large.
I have a new external drive WD Black B10 which is 4TB and I already have all of the required MSTS patches stored on it..
Perhaps I could have some more feed back as to what size a computer tower I would need to run MSTS.
Best wishes.
Andy

Andy Moody (AKA AJ52MDY on the UKTS site) West Moors, Dorset on the "Old Road" closed September 1964

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  j3801 Thu 03 Mar 2022, 9:23 am

Hi Andy,

I have had a quick look on Dells UK website and I would say that this one would get you out of trouble:
https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/desktops-and-all-in-ones/inspiron-small-desktop/spd/inspiron-3891-desktop/cd38910711?view=configurations

Obviously this is just my opinion and I am not forcing you to buy a Dell, but the specs on this one would be what you are after to safely run the programs.
If you can find it with another manufacturer that you prefer, then I'd say go for it!

Just to clarify, I have nothing to do with Dell. I am just a happy customer of theirs since 2008 (2 towers and my laptop).

Justin

j3801
j3801
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Thu 03 Mar 2022, 12:22 pm

Gday Justin.
Thank you very much, this is most helpful indeed.
First of all I will not require a mouse or keyboard as I had fairly recently purchased replacements I have a Logitech MX Advance wireless illuminated keyboard  and a Logitech  B100 mouse.
I am looking to have a tower built if that is possible these days so I now have an idea what to specify.
Once again, Thanks very much.
Best wishes
Andy
Edit Re: MSTS se up,
I currently have or had MSTS set up on D drive, as D:\1MSTS, How does setting it up with W11 work?

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  j3801 Fri 04 Mar 2022, 8:32 am

Hi Andy,

I am pretty sure D:/ is the same drive name that I am using.
The only difference is mine is installed using the original pathing: D:/Progam Files/Microsoft Games/.....
I just installed one version to be a bog standard base install on this path, and the rest had been copied over and put into this folder.
No operational issues what so ever.

Justin

j3801
j3801
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down