Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow-Carlisle V4

+14
a214sli
35005CP
rufuskins
NiallGray
neanderthal
steveenefer
ShortNorth
ianmacmillan
steamnut44
gswindale
mikehendle
Markh5682
dee4141
j3801
18 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Glasgow-Carlisle V4 - Page 6 Empty Re: Glasgow-Carlisle V4

Post  NiallGray Fri 26 Dec 2014, 4:13 pm

casperdog wrote:Hi Niall,
BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!  .
A terrible confession, but I was so busy with the S & D and Thames Trent, I never downloaded V3.  A problem when you get so engrossed in  your own route Crying or Very sad

Thank you, kind sir. Coming from a fellow route-builder like yourself, it means a lot. Sundaypm was a great help and I got also got contributions from a number of people along the way.
And don't worry about the V3 thing. I too, get too engrossed in my work. I still have so much stock and routes that I am yet to install.

casperdog wrote:
Had a quick play and it really is a good route. I'm going to have to 'retro' it a bit but I can just about tolerate blue. With the EH2 stock pack and a couple of other downloads I might be able to knock out a couple of acts to do justice to your route.
Expect a steam hauled special into Glasgow soon, as well as Kestrel on an excursion Very Happy .
If you mean retro the route, that's for your eyes only! If you mean retro the stock, then great! Smile

The route is set in Carmine Cream era but I am a BR guy. However, it would have been too much work to retro it so I carried on David Carmont's work.

A steam-hauled act for the route would be very welcome. "dforrest" was asking about one earlier today over on UKTS. You could make his day!
CLICK HERE CLIVE

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  casperdog Fri 26 Dec 2014, 8:20 pm

Hi Niall,
Yes I did mean retro stock wise. No intention of messing with the actual route Smile .

Cheers
Clive

Thames Trent V3 :30 miles to go.
casperdog
casperdog

Back to top Go down

Post  thwittle Fri 26 Dec 2014, 11:50 pm

Hello!

I'm wanting to uninstall Glasgow to Carlisle V3 so that I can install V4,.
Version 3 is listed when I go to "Drive a train", but I cannot find it in the list of routes.
Any help in locating the route files would be gratefully received.

Best Wishes to all,
John

thwittle

Back to top Go down

Post  thwittle Fri 26 Dec 2014, 11:54 pm

Doh!

Almost as soon as I had posted the above, I checked in Control Panel and there it is.

Must try harder!

Cheers,
John

thwittle

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Sat 27 Dec 2014, 10:35 am

I do that a lot. Post something and suddenly think of the answer! Laughing

Did it completely delete everything? I'm not sure if deletes the folder full stop or just the original installed files.

Anyhow, I hope you are now enjoying the route!

Niall

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Sat 27 Dec 2014, 10:36 am

Yes I did mean retro stock wise.  No intention of messing with the actual route Smile .

Cheers
Clive

Phew! Laughing

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  thwittle Sat 27 Dec 2014, 12:49 pm

Hello Niall and fellow simmers,

Thank you for your reply.
Although I have a lot more exploring to do, the running I have done so far has shown just what a high quality route this is.
I am so far only using the explore route function, which nevertheless gives me a lot to go at.
I have some issues with my MSTS installation, such as the route does not appear in the file listing, but does appear in the game itself.
Having rushed to set up an activity, unsuccessfully, I'm going to backtrack and go through all the details carefully and also take the time to sort out other issues on the way.
That should clear out any old files still remaining.
Fortunately I'm retired and have the time to enjoy doing this.
I'm really looking forward to getting to know this area of the rail network, on a super route.

Cheers,
John

thwittle

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Sat 27 Dec 2014, 2:49 pm

John,

Do you use Trainstore?

Niall

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Sat 27 Dec 2014, 5:49 pm

I had to perform a "sad task" last night....Delete version 3 from my external HD. I have kept the empty ACT Path Service and Traffic folders for V4.
In so doing I discovered two complete versions of V3 tucked away inside other folders so my EHD has gained 0.98 GB of space! Shocked  
Am gradually putting the rolling stock together mainly from my stored trainset  to get the various acts to work.
I am extremely impressed with the scenery,  a vast improvement on Version 3  and Glasgow Central, Yes you have certainly got that right.
The first act I drove, was NG01 and coming into platform 11, this was the very platform that I took photographs from back in September.
Going to have a go at putting the stock together for NG23-28.
Cheers
Andy

Andy Moody (AKA AJ52MDY on the UKTS site) West Moors, Dorset on the "Old Road" closed September 1964

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Sat 27 Dec 2014, 6:12 pm

Will version 4 overwrite V3? or can you keep both running concurrently?

If it does overwrite, I'll rename the V3 folder to prevent overwriting. OK (drive space is not a concern for me as I have a 1TB second drive reserved exclusively for MSTS and related programs)

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

https://www.youtube.com/user/markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Sat 27 Dec 2014, 6:40 pm

Hi Mark,

A case of not reading the file called "Read Me"!! Wink

Do not overwrite, as the route will fail to work.

Renaming is no good either, as there's info in the trk file which will negate any simple name change. You have to know what you are doing to edit that.

But most importantly, why would you want to keep it? The only thing that would be worth keep are any acts and you can always rebuild any broken paths in V4.

Andy, don't be sad. V3 was good, but V4 is much better!

Glad you like Glasgow Central. With the extensions, Central is the focal point of the route and now people can see why it took me so long to work on it.

Niall

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Sat 27 Dec 2014, 6:51 pm

I haven't downloaded it yet to read the readme, that will have to wait till new year before I can afford a premium membership renewal, I want to keep V3 until I've converted my own acts to work on V4,

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  thwittle Sat 27 Dec 2014, 6:58 pm

Hi Niall,
I have used trainstore in the past, but I haven't installed it on my current MSTS setup.

Cheers,
John

thwittle

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Sat 27 Dec 2014, 7:07 pm

thwittle wrote:Hi Niall,
I have used trainstore in the past, but I haven't installed it on my current MSTS setup.

Cheers,
John

Ok. No worries, was just trying to figure out why it hadn't shown in "the file listing".

Niall

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Sat 27 Dec 2014, 7:51 pm

In terms of renaming I believe that the better approach is to use Route Riter to make a duplicate route using a different name. I've posted along these lines elsewhere but can't remember where! Shocked
Go to the TAB labelled "MSTS File Utils" and click on button labelled "Duplicate route with new name" and follow further instructions. I used it for the old London-Brighton route when the add-on was introduced and overwrote a number of the paths, etc. It can be used for the various routes that have been slowly added to; e.g. Dorset Coast V3, V4, V5 and V6, and where one wants to keep the related activities.

PS Just remembered I posted in the latest Woodhead upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2 on this subject.

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Sat 27 Dec 2014, 8:16 pm

Hi Alec.

I just rename the folder, then change the route ID in the TRK file to the same as the folder name and that usually works for me. OK

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Sat 27 Dec 2014, 8:41 pm

NiallGray wrote:Andy, don't be sad. V3 was good, but V4 is much better!

You can say that again Niall.
No of course Version 4 is a great improvement,The only thing was, there were a couple of freight activities on V3 which went on the mainline towards Carlisle.
They were put out on trainsim Com as the author seemed to have issues with UKTS for whatever reason.
Hopefully someone might do a few for V4 That is some thing I can not get my head around sadly.
Cheers
Andy

Andy Moody (AKA AJ52MDY on the UKTS site) West Moors, Dorset on the "Old Road" closed September 1964

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Sat 27 Dec 2014, 8:45 pm

Were there?

I remember some for V2 which were by the late Pete McCall, who was banned from UKTS, but I don't recall seeing any for V3.

Pete was a keen supporter of the route, but passed away before V3 came out.

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Sat 27 Dec 2014, 9:25 pm

Been tweaking my EH2 acts for V4.

Just driven my 87 from Carlisle to Glasgow. Absolutely awesome driving the 87 into Central!

Just got to check the 85 to Carstairs act and then that pack can be released.

Niall

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Sun 28 Dec 2014, 12:02 pm

Yes I did mean retro stock wise.  No intention of messing with the actual route Smile .

Cheers
Clive

Clive, how far retro do you intend to go?

When I take a break, I still have these little buggers (mapping is a nightmare) that I intend to look at on my return.

Glasgow-Carlisle V4 - Page 6 303Work08

They were introduced early 1960s.

Niall

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  casperdog Sun 28 Dec 2014, 5:18 pm

Hi Niall,
Not quite that retro although it might have made an interesting bit of traffic. Smile

I decided middish 70s , so a bit of research has been needed. I think i've got enough locos (electric and diesel), and EMUs + some freight stock. Now it's class 101 and 126 DMUs. to download and install

That should give me enough stock to put in a decent bit of varied traffic.

The player path is causing some stress as I wanted an overtaking event but my normal double reverse point method isn't working. As it's about 40 minutes into the act, its a bit frustrating repeating it. One more try tomorrow before 'Plan B' comes into operation.

For this evening it's finishing the Rugby Market Harborough scenery. 3 days early as I set myself a month for this section Smile

As an aside, I see that the counter on UKTS seems to be working again of sorts. 245 in a couple of days isn't a bad result.

Cheers
Clive

casperdog
casperdog

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Sun 28 Dec 2014, 5:38 pm

casperdog wrote:

As an aside, I see that the counter on UKTS seems to be working again of  sorts. 245 in a couple of days isn't a bad result.

Cheers
Clive

Hi Clive,

Considering it's an ancient sim and people have to download a big file, I am very happy with 245 so far!

Niall

Edit: Make that 254! Smile

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Sun 28 Dec 2014, 9:38 pm

Hi Niall.
With the exception of two activities,I have run all of the other acts and am most impressed by the revised infrastructure and scenery improvements you have made.
The trees look like proper trees, The stations and platforms are very authentic well no just like the real thing. Adjoining buildings and blocks of flats also look real.
The stone walls, Bridges and Tunnels are perfect.
It has been rather a challenge however, getting some of the activities up and running, I do not have either Europebahn or Making tracks Scottish Central so have had to
make some substitudes for some of the stock, I have not been able so far to put Act 08, the engineering act together, it requires something like 78 items of rolling stock!
The Ng18 GNER HST, I had to use an HST from the UKTS Pool thats not really a problem. I also had to use the NMT HST from the UKTS pool , sadly whilst running the
activity, I never passed the Yellow Peril first nor last, Don't know where I should have passed it.....never mind.
I failed with the class 89 activity I was just outside Central station waiting to leave the siding when suddenly I got computer freeze and CBD so will have to try that
one again, also tonight I decided to explore from GC Plat 1 to Carlisle with a 4 car class 380, Made it just through the second tunnel and then it froze and did CBD,
Not to be outdone, I started again but this time I saved the activity between the two tunnels only to have it freeze when I hit the save button.
I am going to endevour to get NG08 up and running but I see there are another four or five acts on the horizon.
You have also answered a query I had back in September, We went to the Glasgow transport museum, travelling from Central low level to exebition, UH yes it is a long
walk and Patrick is closer:roll: But I now know where the other line went to at the junction.
Clearly a great route, WELL DONE to you all.
Cheers
Andy

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sun 28 Dec 2014, 10:02 pm

Hi Andy,
I haven't run any of Niall's activities yet, but notice that you have been having several freezes and CTDs. Are you using Train Store? If your PC is a little short on resources it'll be a great help. Also, if you've got at least 4GB of RAM, are you using the mem switch?

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Sun 28 Dec 2014, 10:37 pm

Another thing to check is whether you have a large number of saves. Check the [saves] folder in your main MSTS installation, and delete unwanted saves within this folder.

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Sun 28 Dec 2014, 10:51 pm

Hi Andy,

My warning from the download screen.  Wink

NG08 wrote:If you edit out the commercial items in this act and it subsequently doesn't work, don't come running to me for help!

The route I think you are missing is Scottish Capital Express. In terms of Scottish stock, the MT boys nailed it with that route and I will be using stock from it again for future acts. The stock is just exceptional and lots of it!

Considering NG08 is an act purely of commercial stock, if you don't have any of the routes, I would not recommend ever installing. Not only because it results in a lot of editing, but replacing stock can drastically alter how an act works.

For example, the freeware Pendolino I use in some acts for AI, works differently to the Europeanbahn one I use and that often affects which Pendolino I choose to use. If it's a slow exit from Central, I use the freeware, but if I want one running ahead of me to keep me on the yellows, I go for the EB version.

The reason I use the EB HST in NG18 is also down to the fact that the freeware GNER HST performed very differently in the act.

Once you start editing acts, that's where the problems start. I think that's why you are getting those errors, but Ged's suggestion about Trainstore and Alec's about saves are two good points.

Glad you are enjoying the route.

Niall

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Mon 29 Dec 2014, 9:04 am

NiallGray wrote:
casperdog wrote:

As an aside, I see that the counter on UKTS seems to be working again of  sorts. 245 in a couple of days isn't a bad result.

Cheers
Clive

Hi Clive,

Considering it's an ancient sim and people have to download a big file, I am very happy with 245 so far!

Niall

Edit: Make that 254! Smile

Back to work this morning Sad but I go with a smile on my face Very Happy after noticing the download count is now 461.

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Mon 29 Dec 2014, 2:15 pm

NiallGray wrote:Hi Andy,

My warning from the download screen.  Wink

NG08 wrote:If you edit out the commercial items in this act and it subsequently doesn't work, don't come running to me for help!

The route I think you are missing is Scottish Capital Express. In terms of Scottish stock, the MT boys nailed it with that route and I will be using stock from it again for future acts. The stock is just exceptional and lots of it!

Considering NG08 is an act purely of commercial stock, if you don't have any of the routes, I would not recommend ever installing. Not only because it results in a lot of editing, but replacing stock can drastically alter how an act works.

For example, the freeware Pendolino I use in some acts for AI, works differently to the Europeanbahn one I use and that often affects which Pendolino I choose to use. If it's a slow exit from Central, I use the freeware, but if I want one running ahead of me to keep me on the yellows, I go for the EB version.

The reason I use the EB HST in NG18 is also down to the fact that the freeware GNER HST performed very differently in the act.

Once you start editing acts, that's where the problems start. I think that's why you are getting those errors, but Ged's suggestion about Trainstore and Alec's about saves are two good points.

Glad you are enjoying the route.

Niall

Hi Niall.
Now that's very interesting, I was not aware that changing the stock caused any problems with the activity. I am also running the Down Yorkshire Pullman with
DP2 vice the rostered Deltic and previously I ran it with Kestrel with no problems. Obviously I accept that it is "My problem" if activities dont perform as they should.
Whereas I can afford £17 for Scottish Capital express, I can not afford £61.20 for the Europeanbahn routes. I have the MEP route and also the Thames Mersey route
which covers from Late BR steam right through to Voyagers and Pendolineo's.
With Regard to CBD's The problem train involved was a class 380 Desiro which I had in explore mode with the view of going to Carlisle.
After three CBds, I used the GNER HST which worked perfectly, I have now altered all of the Class 380 Sound and cabviews to the Making tracks class 360 Desiro and taking 380 102 on a test run Glasgow to Glasgow via Motherwell It worked just fine.
By know my SCE should have downloaded and be ready to install!!!
Cheers
Andy

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Mon 29 Dec 2014, 2:31 pm

andrew moody wrote:

Now that's very interesting, I was not aware that changing the stock caused any problems with the activity.

Learned via years of experience.

It's why I am not re-releasing any V3 acts where my 303s/311s are being driven. They won't be as powerful when I update them and that will have an impact on timing, which will mean I'll have to tweak the activities after I finish work on the units.

Niall

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Mon 29 Dec 2014, 7:29 pm

Hi Niall.
I have redownloaded NG08 and can confirm that it runs perfectly, No Crashes to desktop, All A1 traffic is OK on this activity.
SCE was a very good investment, Just off over to have a play.
Cheers
Andy

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  casperdog Tue 30 Dec 2014, 6:23 pm

Hi All,
Not really the place in the forums, but my little steam act for Nialls route is just about complete. Just the paperwork to do and it will be uploaded to UKTS.
Hopefully this evening.
Glasgow-Carlisle V4 - Page 6 Glasgo10

Glasgow-Carlisle V4 - Page 6 Glasgo11

Cheers
Clive

casperdog
casperdog

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Tue 30 Dec 2014, 7:01 pm

Excellent news. Geoffrey Swindale has uploaded an act as well this evening so I am a happy chappy!

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Tue 30 Dec 2014, 10:38 pm

Right then, that's me calling it a day for now.

I've uploaded one final act, joining the others in the queue and with some third party acts on their way, you should be busy for a while.

I'll still pop in occasionally to upload the occasional act, but I'm going to turn off notifications for all the forum threads so I can recharge the batteries for a few weeks.

Thanks to all those who helped me, and thanks to everyone for your kind words.

Happy New Year one and all, see you in a bit!

Niall

PS If you have any issues, post on the forums. Someone will help you!

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Thu 01 Jan 2015, 3:25 pm

Hello everyone.
First of all, Happy New year to you all.
Not sure if this is the correct thread to post this, I have downloaded Clives Glasgow Railtour (UKTS 33689).
Sadly only 15 consists will unpack, the last one being 46100 Royal Scot, there after there is a message saying "expected more files, package damaged.
I have had three attempts downloading the file from the UKTS site but all are the same, so I don't think the problem is with my computer.
Has anyone else had this same problem?
Cheers
Andy

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Thu 01 Jan 2015, 4:30 pm

Hi Andy,
I have replied to your post on UKTS, but as you say you've tried downloading several times, it's more likely that it IS something on your PC which is causing the trouble (I've just tried it on mine without problem).
Before every new download, did you delete the previous one? I'm only asking this in case you're actually running the SAME zip file every time. Note that if you don't delete the previous downloads, each new one will have the same name but with the addition of a number in brackets to make the name unique.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  casperdog Thu 01 Jan 2015, 8:45 pm

Hi,
an extract from a reply I made on UKTS:

Edit at 18.10. The apk isn't working correctly and I will re-upload the file . The consists are installing but nothing else.

Edit at 18.22. For some reason when I package the activity in AE, the apk is becoming corrupted. It will need further investigation at my end but as a work-around, you can un zip the RR packaged file and copy the 'Routes' and 'Trains' folder into your MSTS installation. This will install all the needed files. For this activity, I will be re-uploading without an apk.

Because the installer made a path to the wrong location of my MSTS and I don't like installing directly into my MSTS anyway, I downloaded the files to a temporary folder. The files all downloaded and extracted fine but didn't have a route wrapper. I incorrectly assumed because the rdb, tdb files were all called GC3, the route folder was GC3.

It's actually GLAS2CAR and my folder has been amended. Embarassed

Cheers
Clive

casperdog
casperdog

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Thu 01 Jan 2015, 9:41 pm

Hello Clive.
I was so busy sorting out all the consists to make the activity run, I totally overlooked the Routes/Trains folder which of course is the easiest way of loading the activity.Embarassed Embarassed
I am now underway of sorts Northbound, heading towards Lockerbie, Am struggling to juggle regulator/cut off and maintain speed which is only around 55-60MPH!
I am not very optimistic about  reaching 90MPH  unless I can go like a bat out of hell after Beattock summit, That is if I can get my seven coaches over the top in the
first place. Rolling Eyes
Anyway, a very good activity and thank you for doing it.
Also thanks to Ged for earlier advice.
Cheers
Andy
Edit:
As Predicted, got down to 20-24MPH climbing Beattock Lost a lot of time,around 16 late into Glasgow,but a through'ly  good activity with a very good selection and variation of A1 traffic both Diesel and Electric.
Thankyou Clive
Andy

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6