Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow-Carlisle V4

+14
a214sli
35005CP
rufuskins
NiallGray
neanderthal
steveenefer
ShortNorth
ianmacmillan
steamnut44
gswindale
mikehendle
Markh5682
dee4141
j3801
18 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Glasgow-Carlisle V4 Empty Glasgow-Carlisle V4

Post  NiallGray Thu 14 Feb 2013, 11:46 pm

Just a post to show that I'm still tinkering with the route, although not as much as before.

Glasgow-Carlisle V4 Thornliebankwip01

Glasgow-Carlisle V4 Thornliebankwip02

This is Thornliebank, first stop on the East Kilbride line. It's not a new addition, I had laid track here a while ago and left station markers in case I did a future update. I decided I'd have a crack at it. It's a basic representation, but it does give the feel (well, to me anyway!) of the real-life Thornliebank. It still needs scenery behind the trees and for a few hundred metres past the end of the station as I want the track ending out of sight.

That's all for now, until the next time,

Niall

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Glasgow-Carlisle V4 Empty Re: Glasgow-Carlisle V4

Post  j3801 Fri 15 Feb 2013, 6:42 am

Hi Naill,

Your work is looking great as always.
I'm glad to see that you are still working on your route, even if you are taking it slow.
There is no harm done by do this.

Justin

Glasgow-Carlisle V4 Sig10
j3801
j3801
Admin

https://tsforum.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Fri 15 Feb 2013, 7:53 am

It's good as usual.
I can only echo Justin's words; do what you want and when you want to!
People (SWMBO) tell me that there is more to life than MSTS, although I'm not quite so sure . . . . .
Alec

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  dee4141 Fri 15 Feb 2013, 8:40 am

Nice work, Niall. I don't think you can work on a project for months (or years!) without a loss of enthusiasm at some time - I know the feeling. Wink I think it helps to take a break and do something else for a while and just "allow the batteries to recharge".
dee4141
dee4141

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Fri 15 Feb 2013, 12:39 pm

Glasgow-Carlisle V4 Thornliebankwip03

Glasgow-Carlisle V4 Thornliebankwip04

Don't think original shots are good enough quality so went into sim and took a couple of pics. Note, I have turned the wires off in these pics.

Niall

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Sat 16 Feb 2013, 6:08 pm

Slight cheat, I turned the wires off!

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Sat 16 Feb 2013, 8:12 pm

. . and very nice too. I've missed that sound track!

Alec

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Sat 16 Feb 2013, 8:25 pm

rufuskins wrote: . . and very nice too. I've missed that sound track!

Alec

Thanks Alec.

It's a favourite of mine. If you want to download a copy for yourself, it's available online and free for non-commercial use.

http://freeplaymusic.com/search/category_search.php?t=v&i=28

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  dee4141 Sat 16 Feb 2013, 9:15 pm

The route looks excellent, Niall. Very Happy
dee4141
dee4141

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Sat 16 Feb 2013, 9:29 pm

Hi Niall

I have still not recovered my WIP MSTS files (including the custom OHL for your route and the snap together walls) from the broken computer yet, A friend of mine who fixes computers for a living has promised to have a look to see if the files are recoverable, if they are I'll have another crack at it. Smile

He says he might be able to create an image of the old HD and install it onto a new drive.

The above screenshots are looking great Very Happy

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

https://www.youtube.com/user/markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Sat 16 Feb 2013, 10:32 pm

dee4141 wrote:The route looks excellent, Niall. Very Happy

Thanks Danny.

Markh5682 wrote:Hi Niall

I have still not recovered my WIP MSTS files (including the custom OHL for your route and the snap together walls) from the broken computer yet, A friend of mine who fixes computers for a living has promised to have a look to see if the files are recoverable, if they are I'll have another crack at it. Smile

He says he might be able to create an image of the old HD and install it onto a new drive.

The above screenshots are looking great Very Happy

No problem. To be honest, I feel more shapes in Glasgow Central area would see the sim fall over! If you do recover the files, try doing the areas from Shields Road in the west to Rutherglen in east, round the Cathcart Circle and Glasgow Central itself. If it works there without crashing, then it'll be good enough for anywhere on the route!

In case you don't, I've been deliberately building the route without using dynamic track. This would allow me to use the hidewire facility at a later date. Hopefully in the future I'll be able to get rid of some of the dynamic track on un-electrified sections but I don't hold out much hope!

Good luck with your file recovery. If you get them back, I'll send you an updated copy of the route when testing begins.

Niall

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Sun 17 Feb 2013, 12:05 am

Thanks Niall

I think you may be right about the extra shapes overloading the sim around Glasgow central, I'll let you know how it goes if I can recover the shapes and placement scripts for the OHL, I hope it does work though as they look great when in place.

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Sun 17 Feb 2013, 9:28 am

I'm sure it would look great.

It's part of the reason I've done some un-electrified lines in V4, less for you to wire up!

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Sun 17 Feb 2013, 1:46 pm

Me again. Guess the enthusiasm is coming back. To all those who contacted me over the last month, I was seriously considering jacking it all in but your messages worked. Thanks.

With Thornliebank sorted, it's all about re-vamping older sections of the route*. One area I really want to improve is Paisley Gilmour Street, so I've begun stripping out most of the scenery around the station. While it'll be too difficult to replace scenery on the viaducts for the Gourock line, thus it has to stay, I can do something about the spur for the Ayr line.

Glasgow-Carlisle V4 Paisley1
In this old pic from V2 (I could not find a suitable V3 pic), you see a 334 coming into Paisley on the Ayr line. The track it's on is incorrect, it's wavy when in real-life it's a lot straighter. Also the terrain to the left of the pic is wrong as well, it should rise the further back you go.

Glasgow-Carlisle V4 PGSV4Revamp1
So I ripped up the entire length of track (sorry guys, it thus breaks V3 paths but it's worth it) and relaid the track, also including the 1 in 720 gradient that the real line has. So far the trackside scenery is just some trees and catenary as terrain work needs to be done first.

Glasgow-Carlisle V4 PGSV4Revamp2
This is the scenery work so far and because the terrain is always a problem for me, it took all of yesterday to get this little bit done. However, I'm happy with the results so far. The aim is scenerise the new Ayr 'spur' and then try to improve the area around the station.

Why am I doing this? Well, compared to other parts of the route, Paisley falls below the standards I now set myself as I did it early on in V3 and didn't know as much about scenerising as I do now. The station model is superb and I just want to try and improve the area around it. Plus, although I have no plans to head along the Ayr lines, it does now open up the chance for future expansion, whether that's by myself or someone else. PGS was placed in wrong place and with amended track position the line will end up closer to where it should be.

With the day job picking up and also having some work still to do on the main line between Carlisle and Lockerbie to complete the gap, it'll probably be a while before there's any more updates. However, I'll post the odd pic when more scenery goes in.

*Technically, the City Union line still needs scenerising but that will wait until last, when I try to improve scenery around Glasgow Central. However, this is the most difficult job of all due to tile counts and terrain issues so I want everything else to be sorted first before I even try to tackle it as I'll probably need help!

Niall

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Sun 17 Feb 2013, 2:17 pm

Hi Niall

The revamped section is looking really good Very Happy

Sometimes on big projects it does you good just to put it down for a while as it does get wearing at times, so sometimes a little break from it is all that is needed, plus the support and encouragement from others is a great help too.

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  mikehendle Sun 17 Feb 2013, 5:14 pm

Hi Niall
Normally I'm not into modern routes I a Luddite and prefer mid 50's-60's era but you Glasgow-Carlisle route is the exception to the rule,it is looking to be a first class route and will be well worth the wait.

Mikeex Zuid Afrikaans Sporweg employee[i]
mikehendle
mikehendle

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Sun 17 Feb 2013, 5:32 pm

Thanks, Mike, I myself prefer the BR era of 70s and 80s. The only reason this route is more modern as the track layout was based on the Carmine Cream era, which sadly is now disappearing.

I'll see if I can get the Cally Blue 303 done for you. Built 1961 so you can have that and some steam running out of Central!

On a serious note, if anyone wants to build an installer (batch file) that hides the catenary, like there was in V2, please feel free to get in touch. I don't know how to, nor do I have the time, but happy for someone else to have a crack at it.

Niall

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  gswindale Sun 17 Feb 2013, 6:14 pm

Hi Niall,

It is looking good there.

With regards to the catenary; do you know which shape files are actually being used for this? I can see a number of possible ones in the shapes folder. I suspect that if we have a stock of "invisi-cat" shapes; then it should actually be quite easy.

I'll take a look at V2 to see how that was done & then see if it is possible (it may also be possible to do something with the station signs as well! That would give a bit more artistic licence to play with then!)

Truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
gswindale
gswindale

http://www.makingtracks-online.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Sun 17 Feb 2013, 6:46 pm

If you change the signs then you'd need to repaint a lot of lamposts and buildings as well! Razz I did think about at one time doing BR era or the new saltire but the sheer amount of texture files that would have to be repainted was over 250. Don't forget there's about 80-odd stations in the route now. So, I don't let the carmine cream signs stop me, if I want to do a BR era act, I just go ahead and do it.

All the catenary shapes in V4 are in V3 as well. If you look through .ref file searching for word "catenary" you'll find all the shape names.

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  gswindale Sun 17 Feb 2013, 8:12 pm

Hi Niall,

Thanks for the update - I've taken a quick look through and have found them all. I have, for now, used the shape file from my blocker locomotive download (no idea whose it was originally!) and copied it over the catenary files (keeping the originals backed up). As far as I can see it seems to be working OK, but will do some more testing throughout the week ahead just to make sure I'm happy I've got them all :-)

I can either send you the files with the batch script or I can package it up a bit nicer like we did with Dave Corfield's era switcher for Dorset Coast.

I'll have a thinky about the signage as that does seem like a lot of files to work through!

gswindale
gswindale

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Sun 17 Feb 2013, 8:32 pm

Quick work! I'd suggest you keep them for now, would rather not try it until I down tools for testing!

The only good thing is that if you want to do Strathclyde (BR) era, you won't need to paint the station buildings at Blantyre or Hamilton West as they are already in that scheme! (Plus there's a number of bridges with the old Strathclyde logo).

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Thu 21 Feb 2013, 3:45 pm

Glasgow-Carlisle V4 PGSV4Revamp4

Getting to the end of the Ayr line spur now, and before anyone asks, I'm not going any further -- track laying is finished! You can see in the pic where the track ends. I've been re-scenerising towards Paisley St James as well, so the scenery west of Gilmour Street in my opinion is miles better.

When that's complete it's a case of working around the station. I've ripped up nearly all the scenery there. It was ok, but I feel that I can improve it further.
For anyone who knows the area, my plan is to re-work as far as Arkleston junction to the east of Gilmour Street. Although it looks ok as it is, I feel I can make that area more realistic.

Niall

PS The gas holder thing was kindly donated for the route by Rickloader from his own route. It's the closest match to the real thing I can find. Thanks Rick.

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  steamnut44 Sun 24 Feb 2013, 1:33 pm

Keep at it Niall, its all coming together very nicely. Being able to have the option of hiding the wires would be nice, but not an issue if not. As was said earlier in this thread, loosing enthusiasm does happen at times, especially on a large project. It's happened to me on occasions, but a few weeks away from the keyboard and you get the urge to carry on again and before you know it, the enthusiasm comes back again. So just hang in there Niall, then once it's finished, you can sit back and relax, knowing that you have added another great route to MSTS, for all of us to enjoy. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Geoff  
STEAM will ALWAYS be King!   It gave us our Great British railway network, which we all enjoy through simulation
Very Happy
steamnut44
steamnut44

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Sun 24 Feb 2013, 1:44 pm

Re-doing Paisley continues and I've now done the town area (bar traffic spawners which always go in last). Working towards the edge of Paisley and Arkleston junction. Terrain work is done here, just need to put new scenery in. Pictures of that area will follow at a later date when complete.

Glasgow-Carlisle V4 PGSV4Revamp5

Glasgow-Carlisle V4 PGSV4Revamp6

Glasgow-Carlisle V4 PGSV4Revamp7

Glasgow-Carlisle V4 PGSV4Revamp8

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Sun 24 Feb 2013, 1:55 pm

steamnut44 wrote:Keep at it Niall, its all coming together very nicely. Being able to have the option of hiding the wires would be nice, but not an issue if not. As was said earlier in this thread, loosing enthusiasm does happen at times, especially on a large project. It's happened to me on occasions, but a few weeks away from the keyboard and you get the urge to carry on again and before you know it, the enthusiasm comes back again. So just hang in there Niall, then once it's finished, you can sit back and relax, knowing that you have added another great route to MSTS, for all of us to enjoy. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

If I'm honest, the issue of wires is not a priority for me, but I am happy for someone like Geoffrey to have a crack at it and I hope it is successful. As long as it is I'd have no objection to it being uploaded as a third party modifcation.

As for enthusiasm, it was not due to the route building but frustration at continued post referrals on UKTS. Now I'm able to post away normally on here without any problems I'm finding the enthusiasm coming back. Plus, now the route-building tools are most definitely down, I can see the finish line for the route and I'm eager to cross it! Laughing

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Sun 24 Feb 2013, 3:31 pm

What I said in the screenshots thread!
Alec

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Sun 24 Feb 2013, 7:29 pm

Hi Niall.
Your sceenshots of Paisley are looking great.
A small request, When you get out on to the main line, Are you going to do Crawford, where the WCML crosses the river Clyde.
Im really looking forward to V4.
Cheers
Andy

Andy Moody (AKA AJ52MDY on the UKTS site) West Moors, Dorset on the "Old Road" closed September 1964

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Sun 24 Feb 2013, 8:18 pm

andrew moody wrote:Hi Niall.
Your sceenshots of Paisley are looking great.
A small request, When you get out on to the main line, Are you going to do Crawford, where the WCML crosses the river Clyde.
Im really looking forward to V4.
Cheers
Andy

Sorry Andy, there's no plans. I'll probably only get a chance to fill in the gap between Carlisle and Lockerbie.

Besides, rivers are a pain to do! Crying or Very sad

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Sun 24 Feb 2013, 8:35 pm

Hi Niall.
No Worries.
Cheers
Andy

Andy Moody (AKA AJ52MDY on the UKTS site) West Moors, Dorset on the "Old Road" closed September 1964

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Tue 26 Feb 2013, 10:27 pm

Just along from Paisley Gilmour Street is Arkleston Junction. The work here was mainly north side terrain, but I took the chance to replace a lot of scenery while I was at it.

Glasgow-Carlisle V4 PGSV4Revamp9

Glasgow-Carlisle V4 PGSV4Revamp10
A footbridge now crosses the line, just like it does in real life. To save building a new shape, I've re-used the footbridge from Motherwell!

Glasgow-Carlisle V4 PGSV4Revamp11
This side of the line is where most work has been done, raising terrain, replacing the housing and roads. Slightly flatter than needs to be but the old layout was much lower than the track, which was totally wrong.

Glasgow-Carlisle V4 PGSV4Revamp12
Another default bridge replaced with something more typical of what's there in real life.

A break for a few days and then on to the next section to be re-done. Very Happy

Niall

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Tue 26 Feb 2013, 10:37 pm

That's looking great Niall Very Happy

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Tue 26 Feb 2013, 11:24 pm

Thanks Mark.

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  dee4141 Wed 27 Feb 2013, 8:30 am

Looking really good Niall, and you take some nice screenshots. I like the track textures too - very realistic.
dee4141
dee4141

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:07 am

dee4141 wrote:Looking really good Niall, and you take some nice screenshots. I like the track textures too - very realistic.

Thanks Danny. The track textures are either the Scottrax or some of Reg Furniss' textures, I forget which!

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  gswindale Wed 27 Feb 2013, 8:54 pm

Been away a few days.

Good work Niall :-)

gswindale
gswindale

Back to top Go down

Post  ianmacmillan Wed 27 Feb 2013, 11:43 pm

Nice work.

Activity writers should note that the siding at Arkleston was a handover point.

Motherwell and Polmadie crews would leave trains there to be picked up by Ayr men; mainly spoil wagons for Shewalton Coup on the Barassie - Kilmarnock line.
Don't leave the brakevan - it'll get vandalised.

ianmacmillan

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Thu 28 Feb 2013, 6:48 am

I can't speak for others, but I find that the virtual people in the sim are actually very well behaved! Wink Wink

Alec

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Thu 28 Feb 2013, 9:33 am

rufuskins wrote:I can't speak for others, but I find that the virtual people in the sim are actually very well behaved! Wink Wink

Alec

I agree, it's just the sim that causes trouble now and again!

ianmacmillan wrote:Nice work.

Activity writers should note that the siding at Arkleston was a handover point.

Motherwell and Polmadie crews would leave trains there to be picked up by Ayr men; mainly spoil wagons for Shewalton Coup on the Barassie - Kilmarnock line.
Don't leave the brakevan - it'll get vandalised.

Thanks Ian. If you want to paint some neds, I'll happily put them in the route. (Actually, no I won't!)

gswindale wrote:Been away a few days.

Good work Niall :-)

Cheers.

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Fri 15 Mar 2013, 1:38 pm

Alas, not been able to do any work on the route since last update due to an injury, so my timetable has fallen behind. Hopefully be able to start up again before the end of the month, with testing pushed back to May/June.

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Fri 15 Mar 2013, 3:15 pm

Hope it's nothing too serious. Concentrate on recovery first and then the route.
All the best, Alec

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Sun 17 Mar 2013, 8:46 pm

Cheers Alec.

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Fri 22 Mar 2013, 9:27 am

Not strictly route-related, but I'd like to thank Glasgowworks for his recent uploads to UKTS.

The 380s and now the ex-SPT 318 (along with saltire 156 released a while back and my ex-SPT 314) mean that anyone planning acts for V4 (including myself), can now do activities that are bang up to date.

When I get the chance I'll try and finish the remaining 303s and that'll mean the possibility of doing acts for the routes from modern day, right back to the 1960s (within reason).

Thanks Alistair,

Niall

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Fri 22 Mar 2013, 11:32 am

NiallGray wrote:Not strictly route-related, but I'd like to thank Glasgowworks for his recent uploads to UKTS.

The 380s and now the ex-SPT 318 (along with saltire 156 released a while back and my ex-SPT 314) mean that anyone planning acts for V4 (including myself), can now do activities that are bang up to date.

When I get the chance I'll try and finish the remaining 303s and that'll mean the possibility of doing acts for the routes from modern day, right back to the 1960s (within reason).

Thanks Alistair,

Niall

I'll second that!

Alec

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:39 pm

Good news *touch wood!* is that work on the route is likely to start again in next few days. Things are getting back to normal and I'm itching to get on with more scenery work.

First job though will be track-related. I messed up on a stretch of line where for some reason one piece of track had a gradient, the next was flat, next with gradient, next flat, and so on. No idea what I was doing there, but I am still a track laying novice! That should be OK to sort -- I hope! Laughing

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Thu 28 Mar 2013, 9:56 pm

There I am, not having been able to work on the route for a bit and having fallen behind my schedule, so what do I go and do?

Yup, you guessed it, I laid some more track!

Glasgow-Carlisle V4 Station12a

Glasgow-Carlisle V4 Station12b

This is Giffnock. It's a station on the East Kilbride line, about a mile from Thornliebank station. I was given the gradient info for this stretch (1 in 68) and the signal info. Besides, I love how the real Giffnock station curves one way and then the other.

So it's in the route (station #12... I think!) and as you can see there's little there at the moment. There needs to be a lot of terrain work done first and then I'll start working the scenery from Thornliebank. I've just tried out the station and love the way the unit curves in the platform. The 1-in-68 gradient is lovely going downhill but you need to be on the ball to stop in time at Thornliebank station!

Niall

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Fri 29 Mar 2013, 11:12 pm

Good afternoon/evening of work, where I've been going through my GIANT checklist of things to do on the route.

Sorted the gradient issue I mentioned a few posts back and also put finishing touches to the North Clyde line, ie speed limits, signalling and some traffic spawners. Also done a few changes around the Shields Road area, mostly minor scenery changes, which have improved the look without killing the FPS.

The scenery that was to signify the old end of the line at Thornliebank has been removed and the scenery placement towards Giffnock will start over the next few days after I have done some unit testing for a fellow forum member,

Niall

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Sun 31 Mar 2013, 7:27 pm

Glasgow-Carlisle V4 Giffnockwip1

Started on the extension to Giffnock. The station you can see in the pic is Thornliebank. In the distance are the flats at Kennishead.

Glasgow-Carlisle V4 Giffnockwip2
Slow progress, but the terrain is proving a nightmare and having a 1in68 gradient does not help either! Just out of shot is a road bridge and this is extent of work.

Glasgow-Carlisle V4 Giffnockwip3
As already mentioned, I just love the curves of Giffnock's platforms. It looks best with a 4-car 156, so will have to get a pic.

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Sun 31 Mar 2013, 8:51 pm

Continues to impress. Alec

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  gswindale Sun 31 Mar 2013, 9:10 pm

Indeed. Keep up the good work Niall - it is much appreciated Very Happy

gswindale
gswindale

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Mon 01 Apr 2013, 2:39 pm

Glasgow-Carlisle V4 Giffnockexpansion

An updated map of the South of Glasgow expansion, showing the inclusion of Giffnock. There is no plan to go past Giffnock in V4 because before the next station it crosses over the Neilston line. This is the short spur that leaves at Cathcart and stops just short of where Muirend station would be.

If I was to go past Giffnock, not only would I need to expand the Neilston line so it includes Muirend, but then I'd have to make sure I get the two lines to cross at the right point and altitude -- not an easy prospect. I couldn't do what I see in other routes where you just have a short stretch of track pretending to be another line. Plus I'd probably have to add another two stations at Williamwood and Clarkston just to keep to my "disappear out of sight" rule! That would take up too much time and I haven't got it at present.

I might have a crack at it if there's ever a V5 as I've now got gradient and signalling info for the entire East Kilbride line and from Giffnock it's about 6.5 miles to the end of the line, with 5 stations, double/single line, passing loops and some fantastic gradients.

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next