Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fatal error when using UK SWB stock

3 posters

Go down

Fatal error when using UK SWB stock Empty Fatal error when using UK SWB stock

Post  niknak Sun 25 Feb 2024, 11:11 am

Hi guys,

If I save an activity that uses SWB wagons I get a 'fatal error - illegal characters in path' message upon trying to resume. This happens with both MSTS ( eg: Ldn & SE ) and OR ( eg: MEC ) routes but ONLY if I'm coupled up to SWB stock when I save. A loco on it's own or coupled to bogie coaches is fine. I've attached the OR log for an MEC act and would appreciate any help.

Regards,
Nick
Attachments
Fatal error when using UK SWB stock Attachment
OpenRailsLog.zip You don't have permission to download attachments.(4 Kb) Downloaded 2 times

niknak

Back to top Go down

Fatal error when using UK SWB stock Empty Re: Fatal error when using UK SWB stock

Post  slipperman12 Sun 25 Feb 2024, 2:22 pm

Hi Nick,
The log isn't much help because it doesn't show the actual file which is in error!
Does the message reported by MSTS give any more information?

If you've changed any files before running this activity, they would be my first suspect.
Since I don't know where the error is - it could be in one or more .sms files or .eng/.wag files.

I suggest you run sms_Checker on the TRAINSET folder, which will check the .sms files. It may not show as 'invalid character' but more likely as 'file not found'.
Alternatively, to check .eng and .wag files, run the SOUNDS option in MSTS_Check.  This WILL indicate any SOUND lines containing invalid characters.

Is the same stock used in LSE (MSTS) and MEC (OR)?  If so, I strongly suspect the error is in a .wag file (unless you've 'fiddled' with one of the SWB .sms files!!).

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Fatal error when using UK SWB stock Empty Re: Fatal error when using UK SWB stock

Post  niknak Sun 25 Feb 2024, 3:40 pm

Hi Ged,
I win the bet with myself that you'd be the 1st to reply! Smile    I've run the 2 apps you mentioned and both come up with no errors. I haven't altered the sms files at all - The MEC route trainset folder is untouched as regards the SWB stock. I've attached another log taken at the start of the activity. I've noticed the 'virtual wheel axle was added' error lines only mention the brake van, not the coal wagons... I've also added the wag file for the coal wagons but can't see any obvious errors. I THINK htv wagons were a problem in the Ldn & SE route too.

niknak

Back to top Go down

Post  niknak Sun 25 Feb 2024, 3:42 pm

Oh and I forgot to mention the pop up error message in OR this time read 'System IndexOutOfRangeException. index was outside the bounds of the array'.

niknak

Back to top Go down

Post  peacockg Sun 25 Feb 2024, 4:46 pm

Hi Nick
My thought is to try to narrow things down. Reduce the consist to the bare loco. See if this is ok. Then add one wagon at a time to see if you can narrow the problem down to a specific wagon or a group of them.
Garry
peacockg
peacockg

Back to top Go down

Post  niknak Sun 25 Feb 2024, 4:48 pm

Well it's definitely the htv wagon for a start...

niknak

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sun 25 Feb 2024, 4:54 pm

Hi Nick,
I'm pleased that I didn't disappoint you Smile

You also reported suspected problems with the HTV wagons earlier this month!

I can't see anything wrong with them.  They use the "genpasswagsteam.sms" which should be in the main SOUND folder (not the route's SOUND folder).

You can ignore the "virtual wheel axle" messages as they are only informational messages.

Later, I'll run these wagons in MSTS and Open Rails, but as you say, MSTS_Check doesn't report any problem.
What, exactly, does MSTS report?

You posted while I was composing!!  The question is - WHICH HTV wagon? - there are 21 in that download!

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  niknak Sun 25 Feb 2024, 5:11 pm

Hi Ged, It's the HTVcoal1 in the zip I'd attached although I believe coal 2 and 3 were also in that consist. I can't run MSTS on it's own, only through OR and I mentioned the error message I received in my earlier message. Any route that doesn't run SWB wagons ( ie: N American routes) is fine but UK routes seem to cause my trainsim setup problems.

niknak

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sun 25 Feb 2024, 7:09 pm

Hi Nick,
In that download, there are 20 'good' wagons.  I've run them in MSTS and Open Rails without any problem and no unexpected OR errors.
The one wagon which can't be used is HTV.wag.  The reason being that its Wagon entry at the top of the file has no value. If the line is made  Wagon ( htv then it is acceptable.

No sound errors are reported - if that is what you're getting, I suspect that your installation SOUND folder may have some faulty files.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  niknak Sun 25 Feb 2024, 7:49 pm

Hi Ged,
Thanks for looking into this for me. I'm probably missing something here (like a brain) but in the MEC Trainset folder I don't have a wag entry for just HTV.  I have HTVcoal1/2/3, HTV1/2/3, HTVcoalR, HTVR, HTVsand1/2/3 and HTVsandR. All have the same wagon name in the tab at the very top as they do in the 1st wagon line following the SIMISA line.

niknak

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sun 25 Feb 2024, 8:59 pm

Hi Nick,
You had a query with an LSE activity (15 Redhill - Norwood Departmental) on 11 February 2023 and enclosed the complete HTV Hoppers folder.  That included htv.s, htv.sd and htv.wag.  I think you may have removed them at that time.  You've only listed 12 wagons from your folder, not the 20 that I have.  

However, since you don't have them in your folder, they cannot be the source of your problem!!  If you could attach your current HTV Hoppers folder to a post, I'll see if there are any differences.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  niknak Mon 26 Feb 2024, 8:38 am

Hi Ged.
Ah I see now where the confusion arose.  I deleted the LSE route some time ago so none of the rolling stock now exists on my pc. I've tried to attach the HTV folder that was included with the MEC route but it's too big at almost 1MB for the storage space. If you have the MEC route it's the OR-HTVHoppers folder. No changes have been made to the files and the route is a standalone setup on my pc.

niknak

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Mon 26 Feb 2024, 11:13 am

Hi Nick,
Have checked everything I can with the latest MEC route (v1.6.7.4) running on OR Stable v1.5.1

Used blue Deltic and added each of the hoppers.  Ran in Explore mode, saved and resumed without any problem.
sms_Checker and MSTS_Check all give error-free reports.

Sorry, but I need some more information, mate Smile

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  niknak Mon 26 Feb 2024, 11:33 am

Many thanks for all your efforts Ged. It's a strange one this and I really think I just have to accept that any UK acts using SWB wagons I run will have to be paused rather than saved if I need a cuppa midway through the act! Smile At least I CAN run the acts (without saving). Anyway thanks again.
Nick

niknak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down