Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UKFS Buffer Stops in OpenRails

3 posters

Go down

UKFS Buffer Stops in OpenRails Empty UKFS Buffer Stops in OpenRails

Post  coolhand101 Thu 22 Feb 2024, 11:03 pm

Hi

Again, I'm unsure if this bug/error is fixed in the latest OR versions.

The UKFS buffer track, uses the same Global Tsection.dat settings as the UKFS 5 meter straight track. This means when starting an activity where the path starts at the buffer stops, the train is over the buffers where the track actually begins. Obviously, this is very unrealistic and should be addressed if this problem still occurs.

MSTS avoided this problem as it used the bounding box information from the UKFS buffer SD file and always started the consist away from the buffers, according to the entry in the SD file. Also, MSTS default buffers had the track nodes shorter, ie 10 meter track with buffer stops and a 7 meter node clearance. So even OpenRails will start the consist away from default buffer stops.

OpenRails does not use bounding box entries as collision detection has been ruled out, so UKFS buffer stops will always have this problem for existing activities meant for MSTS and even newer activities for OpenRails.

You can always edited the path to start away from the Buffers, but routes like Dorset Coast has a lot of activities where the player train and the 100s of AI trains will start and end over the buffers. So a couple of questions.

1. Has this now been addressed?
2. Any new ideals/workarounds to avoid this problem?

Thanks

coolhand101

Back to top Go down

UKFS Buffer Stops in OpenRails Empty Re: UKFS Buffer Stops in OpenRails

Post  docmartin Fri 01 Mar 2024, 8:11 pm

With all due respect to Justin our gracious webmaster, I suggest you would be better off posting your issue on Elvas Tower, which is where all the developers of Open Rails are to be found.

Martin
docmartin
docmartin

Back to top Go down

Post  coolhand101 Sat 02 Mar 2024, 2:10 pm

docmartin wrote:With all due respect to Justin our gracious webmaster, I suggest you would be better off posting your issue on Elvas Tower, which is where all the developers of Open Rails are to be found.

Martin

Hi Martin

Yes I've been a member there for quite awhile. Not having any access to the latest OR versions, I'm asking members here if certain issues have been fixed or addressed.

You say my issue, but this issue will affect all UKFS routes, unless this problem has been fixed in the latest OR versions, hence why I am asking members here certain questions for the time being!

Thanks
Gary

coolhand101

Back to top Go down

Post  docmartin Sat 02 Mar 2024, 2:20 pm

Hi Gary,

I understand your position completely. I do have the latest OR versions but at the moment have only my work-in-progress Chiltern line installed, which is taking up all my time. However, I will see whether I can experiment with Dorset Coast and let you know.

Regards,

Martin
docmartin
docmartin

Back to top Go down

Post  coolhand101 Sat 02 Mar 2024, 4:43 pm

docmartin wrote:Hi Gary,

I understand your position completely.  I do have the latest OR versions but at the moment have only my work-in-progress Chiltern line installed, which is taking up all my time.  However, I will see whether I can experiment with Dorset Coast and let you know.

Regards,

Martin

Hi Martin.

The problem will occur on any UKFS route which uses the UKFS buffer stops, including your Chiltern route.
Just start a path where there is a buffer stop(track piece).

Again, this problem mainly occurs with existing activities. When creating new activities for routes using OR, you can avoid the problem by placing the start point slightly away from the track start.

As I said before, this is more of a visual problem and will not actually interfere with the activity.

Thanks
Gary

coolhand101

Back to top Go down

Post  docmartin Sat 02 Mar 2024, 9:40 pm

Hi Gary,

I have taken a look at Dorset v6 using the latest Open Rails Unstable version, the Testing version and the latest Monogame version. I have looked only at the activities which come packaged with the route, i.e. I did not install any of the separately downloadable activities. I tried to look at all the activities which start either at a terminus or a siding.

I am sorry to say that both activities starting at Lymington Pier, for instance, show the consist overlapping with the buffers in all versions of OR. So clearly there is nothing in the code which addresses this problem. On the other hand, in activities starting at Waterloo none of the consists overlapped the buffers. The same went for an activity which starts in the sidings at Wimbledon - no problem. Presumably in these latter cases the path start had been placed on the track just beyond the buffers.

I am not aware of any problems with the activities written for my Chiltern route. Again, this is almost certainly because of appropriate placement of the start point.

So, although the reply regarding OR is in the negative, I hope that this is helpful.

Martin

docmartin
docmartin

Back to top Go down

Post  coolhand101 Sun 03 Mar 2024, 12:27 pm

docmartin wrote:Hi Gary,

I have taken a look at Dorset v6 using the latest Open Rails Unstable version, the Testing version and the latest Monogame version.  I have looked only at the activities which come packaged with the route, i.e. I did not install any of the separately downloadable activities.  I tried to look at all the activities which start either at a terminus or a siding.

I am sorry to say that both activities starting at Lymington Pier, for instance, show the consist overlapping with the buffers  in all versions of OR.  So clearly there is nothing in the code which addresses this problem.  On the other hand, in activities starting at Waterloo none of the consists overlapped the buffers.  The same went for an activity which starts in the sidings at Wimbledon - no problem.  Presumably in these latter cases the path start had been placed on the track just beyond the buffers.

I am not aware of any problems with the activities written for my Chiltern route.  Again, this is almost certainly because of appropriate placement of the start point.

So, although the reply regarding OR is in the negative, I hope that this is helpful.

Martin

Hi Martin

Many thanks for the extensive testing on this matter. So it appears this problem is still apparent with the latest OR versions.

Yes it all depends on the original authors on how the paths are set. It's a kind of 50/50 hit on this and the locations.

I doubt if this will be address anytime soon. I see no way of altering the UKFS buffer track sections in the global Tsection.dat, without affecting the UKFS 5m straight track section.

If you want visual perfection on this matter, you have to place/edit the paths starting point, slightly away from the track node, where there are UKFS buffer stops as track pieces.

Thanks
Gary

coolhand101

Back to top Go down

Post  eolesen Fri 08 Mar 2024, 7:31 pm

There is another option - build a replacement track like the corresponding Kuju piece - visually it would be 7m but the buffers are located off the 5m described in TSection geometry.

eolesen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down