Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Z-Buffering in OpenRails

3 posters

Go down

Z-Buffering in OpenRails Empty Z-Buffering in OpenRails

Post  coolhand101 Mon 26 Feb 2024, 10:52 am

Hi

I recently had a PC problem, where my computer would not boot up. I was getting one long beep and three short beeps. After a short while, the computer did boot up with windows saying "new hardware detected" and the re-register window appeared( I made no hardware changes ). All appeared well, until I started up OR with one of my most used routes.

With my graphic settings, the Z-Buffering in OR was almost non-existent. Now, I get get quite severe Z-Buffering, where it never existed before. I cannot see any changes in my custom graphic settings for OpenRails via the Nvidia Control panel.

Can anyone please advise, what graphic setting could cause or modify the Z-buffering to change?

Many Thanks
Gary

coolhand101

Back to top Go down

Z-Buffering in OpenRails Empty Re: Z-Buffering in OpenRails

Post  tonya37 Tue 27 Feb 2024, 7:40 am

Hi Gary

I don't know if this will even help but on several occasions my computer has not booted up. In each case I found the NVidia card needed to be reseated - remove, wipe the contacts with a clean cloth, replace. It could be the card is loose, or it is dirt, or maybe corrosion. Your fault seems to be with the graphics card might be cured by reseating it. No guarantees! its just a shot in the dark.

Regards

Tony

tonya37

Back to top Go down

Post  coolhand101 Tue 27 Feb 2024, 12:45 pm

Hi Tony

I was thinking exactly that. The BIOS fault codes does state a memory or graphic card problem. There is a lot of dust on the card, but I will give the PC a good clean out over the weekend! Hopefully that will resolve this issue.
With regards to the Z-buffer problem in OR, I am slowly going through the Nvidia Inspector settings, to see if anything has changed.

Thanks
Gary

coolhand101

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Tue 27 Feb 2024, 2:01 pm

Hi Gary,
It's possible that, if you allow Windows to update, it might have updated the NVIDIA drivers.  If so, reverting to the previous version may solve your Z-Buffering problem.

I always let Windows update but haven't noticed any problems with OR - How does the Z-Buffering show?

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  coolhand101 Tue 27 Feb 2024, 3:46 pm

Hi Ged

I never let windows update my graphic drivers. However, something has definitely changed, causing the Z-buffering to become more noticeable, as described below!

One of the worst Z-buffering clipping culprits is the "BannRepHome.s". ie a banner repeater signal. It was so noticeable, especially when using a narrower FOV, that I actually edited the shape file to make the Z-buffering almost totally Z clipping free( also change the black arm to animate the other way correctly).

Before my bootup problem, this shape file was performing hardly without clipping. After my bootup problem, the clipping was quite noticeable. Also bridges using two separate shapes, overlapping one another. The clipping was very low on these bridges before my problem. After my problem, the clipping is highly noticeable, and kind of spoils the moment, seeing all this flickering/clipping.

As a last resort, I will delete my Openrails Nvidia profile. Then import my last good backup profile. Hopefully with good results.

Thanks
Gary

coolhand101

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down