Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creating a dummy MSTS Registry entry

2 posters

Go down

Creating a dummy MSTS Registry entry Empty Creating a dummy MSTS Registry entry

Post  slipperman12 Tue 24 Oct 2023, 6:45 pm

I've looked through this Forum and not found any reference to this subject.

There are some utilities and add-ons, such as XTracks v3.20, which won't run without an MSTS key being present in the Registry.  A couple of my utilities will create a dummy Registry entry if it's missing, but you don't always want to run a utility just for that!

This is a suitable 'skeleton' Registry entry :

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\1.0]
"Path"="C:\\1MSTS"

Copy the above lines (excluding the opening quotes!) into a new text (NotePad) document and save it with whatever name you like, BUT give it an extension of .reg (NOT .txt)

Double-left-clicking the newly created .reg file will cause a box similar to the following to be displayed :
Creating a dummy MSTS Registry entry Reg-up10
Pressing 'Yes' will display a box like this :
Creating a dummy MSTS Registry entry Reg-up12
Pressing 'OK' will update the Registry.
The location of the .reg file, shown in the above displays, will vary depending on where yours is stored!

PLEASE note : This is NOT a full MSTS Registry entry and any attempt to run MSTS using it will result in the sim either not working, or not working properly.

Cheers,
Ged
Maybe this should be made a 'sticky'?

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Creating a dummy MSTS Registry entry Empty Re: Creating a dummy MSTS Registry entry

Post  neanderthal Tue 24 Oct 2023, 8:37 pm

Sorry,but you lost me in the first sentence LOL.

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

https://rogers.smith1@hotmail.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Creating a dummy MSTS Registry entry Empty Re: Creating a dummy MSTS Registry entry

Post  slipperman12 Tue 24 Oct 2023, 8:50 pm

Hi Roger,
?? This was my first sentence : "I've looked through this Forum and not found any reference to this subject."
... but I'm sure that's not what you meant!!
I would assume you're referring to my mention of the MSTS Registry key. This is what tells add-ons and utilities where MSTS is installed. If it's not installed, there is, normally, no key!
Some add-ons and utilities, particularly older ones which were written when MSTS was king, actually NEED that information, even though the user is given the option to install elsewhere.

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

neanderthal likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down