Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Updates to BBS's LMS 1930's era TSSH file library

+4
mikeanddi
uli
slipperman12
rufuskins
8 posters

Go down

Updates to BBS's LMS 1930's era TSSH file library Empty Updates to BBS's LMS 1930's era TSSH file library

Post  ShortNorth Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:47 am

Having completed my intended program of LMS 1920 pre-grouping era models, I am now turning my attention to the LMS 1930's era.

I will be updating my three LMS 1930's routes and checking and updating my LMS stock packs. The 3 routes will probably be done first, however, initially, they will only have one sample activity (probably a loco transfer between sheds) until such time as I can make sense out of the loss of the LMS CD stock - after closure of UKTS and loss of not only the whole LMS CD stock, but just about every other main LMS loco, coach and wagon, there is not a lot to work with.

In my case, I have adequate models of exLNWR, exLYR, exMR and exNSR stock, but there is a severe lack of LMS built stock available. Hopefully, we can encourage other existing/past authors to revise and upload their LMS models to fill out the missing holes in the range of available models.

More to come as it develops.

Regards, Brian

"Any railway that paints their locomotives such a magnificent shade of red, must be the most superior in the land" (apologies to the late David Jenkinson).
ShortNorth
ShortNorth

http://shortnorth.steam4me.net/

Back to top Go down

Updates to BBS's LMS 1930's era TSSH file library Empty Re: Updates to BBS's LMS 1930's era TSSH file library

Post  ShortNorth Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:32 am

NEW LOCO PACK

When I originally released my LMS exLYR loco pack, I had not yet built the LYR short bunker 2-4-2T pack.

So, I have now released a pack of two LMS liveried exLYR short bunker 2-4-2T's - one with roundtop boiler and one with Belpaire boiler.

Enjoy, Brian

"Any railway that paints their locomotives such a magnificent shade of red, must be the most superior in the land" (apologies to the late David Jenkinson).
ShortNorth
ShortNorth

Back to top Go down

Updates to BBS's LMS 1930's era TSSH file library Empty Re: Updates to BBS's LMS 1930's era TSSH file library

Post  rufuskins Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:00 pm

Hi Brian
Once again thanks for these additions to the LYR folio.
Regards, Alec

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:21 am

LOCO EXPANSION PACK

Dave Robinson released a very nice LMS Black 5 No 5000 - this is the only Black 5 currently available (except for his late LMS era No 4767).

I have used his 'repaint policy' to add three extra locos - 5005, 5050 and 5055. Make sure DR's 5000 is installed before installing the expansion pack.

ShortNorth
ShortNorth

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:25 am

LMS 1930's ROUTE RETURNS

I have now re-released the Black Country LMS 1930's route.

This is the same as the previous version formerly available from UKTS, EXCEPT, that due to the lack of LMS rolling stock, there is only one activity, a simple loco transfer. Extra activities will be added in the future when more LMS stock becomes available.

ShortNorth
ShortNorth

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:23 am

ANOTHER LMS 1930's ROUTE RETURNS

I have now re-released the LYR Heartland LMS 1930's route.

This is the same as the previous version formerly available from UKTS, EXCEPT, that due to the lack of LMS rolling stock, there is only one activity, a simple loco transfer. Extra activities will be added in the future when more LMS stock becomes available.

ShortNorth
ShortNorth

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:36 pm

ANOTHER LMS 1930's ROUTE RETURNS

I have now re-released the Huddersfield and Environs LMS 1930's route.

This now completes the 4 + 3 routes that I have been working on. I never got around to doing a LMS 1930's version of Stoke-Nottingham, mainly because there are only a few (4) exNSR locos and NO exNSR carriages or exNSR wagons to use in activities, which kind of defeats the 'flavour' of the exNSR lines in the route.

Over the next weeks (months) I'll start to make a few activity packs for the three LMS 1930's era routes.

Regards, Brian

ShortNorth
ShortNorth

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:39 pm

NEW ACTIVITY PACK

The first of the updated LMS 1930's activity packs is now available for download from the TSSH file library - for the Black Country - LMS 1930's route.

This pack is essentially the main activities from the 1920 version of the route, but with the stock and Consists updated to use LMS liveried 'standard' stock, and LMS liveried ex pre-grouping stock.

All stock used is either from the TSSH file library, but I found a reasonable amount of LMS stock on the Trainsim.com website - however, some of this is quite old and maybe not up to today's expectations of model quality.. Nonetheless, it does provide a fair variety of LMS era locomotives to use - along with the re-release of Darwin Smith's 1140+ LMS liveried carriages.

Over the next few weeks or so, I'll make up new LMS activity packs for Huddersfield and Environs LMS 1930's, and for LYR Heartland LMS 1930's routes.

I am also considering a new 'LMS Named Express Trains' pack for Black Country - LMS 1930's. Ideally, the best route for this was Thames-Mersey Semaphore Version, but it was lost when UKTS closed, and I've been unable to find any alternative source for its download. Black Country does have a reasonable length of WCML 'racetrack' from just south of Tamworth to just north of Standon Bridge - with extensive quad track U/D Fast and U/D Slow lines. So this gives us scope to 'stretch the legs' of most of the LMS's bigger express locos.

Anyway, just in time for Christmas - I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, and hope to see you all again in the new year.

Regards, Brian

ShortNorth
ShortNorth

neanderthal, Jonathan David, niknak and tonya37 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  tonya37 Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:26 am

G'day Brian

I don't know whether you are aware of this (my apologies if you are), but Thames Mersey V4.1 and V4.0 are available on Trainsim.com file numbers (V4.1) 65505, 65506, 65508 and 65881, dated 12/4 /2006. Given that it is available for download, and that it will have been downloaded many times already (approaching 5000 on Trainsim, 15000 on UKTS) no doubt activities for this route featuring your authentic LMS stock would be welcomed by many, including me  Very Happy

I wish you and all TSSH members a peaceful and happy Christmas and New Year.

Kind Regards

Tony

tonya37

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:28 am

G'day Tony,

It is not quite as straightforward as it seems - yes, I did know that Thames-Mersey was available on Trainsim.com. However it is only the older V4.1, which is 'convertible' from Electric to Steam era via batch files. Even when converted to Steam era, the vast majority of signalling IS STILL 50'S/60'S COLOUR-LIGHT SIGNALLING.

The best version for LMS 1930's steam is the later resignalled version by Barry Hollinshead, who went through the whole route and fully resignalled with semaphore signals. Unfortunately, this later version is no longer available for download.

Making LMS era activities with the older route, really defeats the realism of the route, i.e. 1930's trains with 50's/60's colour-light signals.

Additionally, the overall length of the route from Euston to Liverpool, Manchester, Chester and 'the North' makes building activities much longer in time, and the subsequent many hours testing of each individual activity.

The shorter WCML section of Black Country LMS 1930's makes it faster and easier to produce new 'Named Trains' activities.

Regards, Brian

ShortNorth
ShortNorth

Back to top Go down

Post  tonya37 Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:15 am

Hi Brian

I had forgotten that the semaphore version was a separate download! I had it in mind that it had come with the 4 files I saw on Trainsim.com, but checking the UKTS filelist I see it was a separate download.

Nevertheless, since I do have a copy of the semaphore version I would be more than delighted to see some LMS based activities published. I would also be just as delighted to see Black Country LMS activities. I expect this applies also to many others who have also downloaded the semaphore version. I do take your point about the amount of work required for writing activities for such a long route. A "Named Trains" pack sounds very welcome.

As regards running trains that are from a different era to the route, it is obviously preferable to have them match, but there is such a lot of different periods it is either a question of make do with what there is, or not "do" at all! That all comes down to personal preference - I'm quite happy to run the "Jellicoe Express" from Euston to Crewe on Thames Mersey Semaphore with LNWR stock surrounded by LMS buildings and stock (very nice, BTW). But that's just me. A thick mist helps.

Looking forward to more of your LMS activity packs.

Regards

Tony

tonya37

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:47 pm

Hi Tony
You could of course adopt the philosophy that it's my MSTS/OR route and I'll run what I like! I mean who would know!
To my mind the whole point is to enjoy whatever approach you adopt.
All the best to you and your family.
Alec

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:07 pm

NEW ACTIVITY PACK

Today I have sent the LMS 'Named Trains' activity pack for Black Country LMS 1930's to Justin.

It should be available for download in the next day or two.

As the pack re-uses some AI traffic files from the previous activity pack, make sure the original activity pack is installed first, then copy and overwrite the new files.

Enjoy thrashing 'the LMS big un's' along the WCML.

Regards, Brian

ShortNorth
ShortNorth

Back to top Go down

Updates to BBS's LMS 1930's era TSSH file library Empty Missing rolling stock for the 'Named Trains' activities

Post  uli Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:08 pm

Hi Brian,

I am missing some rolling stock for the 'Named Trains' activities which I can't find in the TSSH or Trainsim.com file libraries:
LMS_5XP_5565\LMS_5XP_5565.ENG
LMS_5XP_5565\LMS_5XP_5565T.WAG
LMS_5XP_5565\LMS_5XP_5626.ENG
LMS_5XP_5565\LMS_5XP_5626T.WAG

Can you tell me where I can find those files? Thank you.

Uli

uli

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:07 pm

Hi Uli,
5563 and 5626 were available in UKTS_40228.
Unfortunately, this pack doesn't seem to be available from either the trainsim.com or TSSH libnraries.

So far as this site is concerned, it's possible Justin hasn't got around to putting it into the library yet.

If Brian gives his permission, I can send you the file, as originally downloaded from UKTS - please send me a PM with your email address.

Cheers,
Ged

EDIT : Post corrected : The updated file is File ID 40250 and is available from trainsim.com and Darwin Smith's page of the TSSH library.

Last edited by slipperman12 on Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:25 pm

Hi Uli,
Thanks for your email address, but I discovered that I don't need it!

The locos you're looking for are not from Brian but Darwin Smith and the file ID is 40250, probably due to an upgrade or bug-fix.

It is available from the TSSH library on Darwin Smith's page - here's the link :
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/pddbl8oze7yor1fd9oig0/40250_LMS_Jubilees_BB.zip?rlkey=h4innk6rgc9hulzlhmsnm7fw1&dl=0

I have corrected my previous message.

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  uli Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:17 pm

Hi Ged,

Thank you! I had looked for the file on Darwin's page but did not scroll down far enough to the 'Open Rails/Steam Engines' section  Updates to BBS's LMS 1930's era TSSH file library 263a .

Cheers
Uli

uli

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeanddi Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:18 pm

Hi Brian

Thank you for your work in upgrading the Black Country LMS 1930s route, and the first of the activities packs.

I have managed to locate all the required stock, with the exception of LMS_Patriot_5511/LMSR_5XP_5511.eng and its associated files.

I have found three versions of this loco - 5511.zip dated March 2010 by Dave Robinson, 21747_DR_LMS_5XP_5511.zip, also by Dave Robinson, dated August 2009, and UKTS66465_LMS_Patriot_5511.zip, by Dave Bran dated July 2013.

None of these download as LMS_Patriot_5511/LMSR_5XP_5511.eng, etc.

I wonder if you, or anyone else, could help me find this engine file.

Thank you
Mike Sexton

mikeanddi

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:05 am

The 'missing' Patriot 5511 is the 2003 version by Dave Bran hosted on Trainsim.com search for file 'UKTS_6465_LMS_Patriot_5511"

You might have to delete the 'UKTS 6465' from the front of the folder name when installed in your Trainset to match the loco names in the Consists file.

In fact, his installation instructions asks you to create a new folder named ' LMS_Patriot_5511'.

Until such time as a new model is released this is the best version to use for the LMS activity packs

ShortNorth
ShortNorth

Back to top Go down

Post  tonya37 Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:16 am

Hi All

My copy of the .con file reads as:

Engine (
UiD ( 10 )
EngineData ( LMSR_5XP_5511 LMS_Patriot_5511 )
)
Wagon (
WagonData ( LMSR_5XP_5511T2 LMS_Patriot_5511 )
UiD ( 9 )
)

Rather than worry about changing names, I deleted the loco and tender from the .con file, and used Goku's consist editor to add the loco and tender from the original files.
Updates to BBS's LMS 1930's era TSSH file library Open_r16

I also plan to install Mr Mosky's 3D cab.

I haven't been able to locate quite a number of 1930's files (list is too long to post here) I wonder if anyone could let me know which sites to search?

I'd like to add my thanks to Brian for the 1920's and 1930's routes and activities, they are very immersive. Brian, I hope you haven't been affected by the recent and continuing floods in Qld.

Regards

Tony

tonya37

Back to top Go down

Post  tonya37 Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:33 am

Black Country 1930 is now set up, except that I cannot locate the Balahub 2P's. The closest I could find was a patch file on Trainsim.com. Does anyone know where I could download this? Of course this is not at all important as there are a number of 2P's available for substitution - in fact I have 1P "Director" pulling the semi-fast express, and performing stoutly.

Updates to BBS's LMS 1930's era TSSH file library Open_r17

Regards

Tony

tonya37

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:28 am

There was on UKTS file 21294 BalaHub_V4.2Stock_Patch.zip uploaded by Ian Macmillan which implies that the stock may have been with the route, which just to confuse was called Llangollen (beware that file 23766 Llangollen Railway is for Railworks). Others may be able confirm or deny.
There are five patch files for the route (6379-6383 uploaded by gopher) but seemingly no original route files which suggests that it was a CD or similar, though I can’t remember that far back
There is also file 38149 Llangollen Railway ExtensionV2.0 which was uploaded by MadameVastra
The BalaHub 2Ps seem to have been created in December 2009 or early 2010 judging by the dates on individual files.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  tonya37 Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:11 am

Thank you, Jonathan

From what you say it would seem that I wouldn't be able to obtain the 2P's, if they were part of a CD. However, Brian was very careful only to make use of available stock, so perhaps he will be able to throw more light on the subject. Fortunately there is plenty of stock available that can be used as a substitute.

Kind Regards

Tony

tonya37

Back to top Go down

Post  uli Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:21 am

I have the Balahub 2P's, probably downloaded from the UKTS f/l but not together with the route since I never had that. According to the Readme the pack was released in 2007 by David Ward. I don't have a UKTS file number for it.

@Tony: I have sent you a PM.

EDIT: I found the pack on Trainsim.com. The filename is 'UKTS_16687_2P_Multipack.zip'.

Uli

uli

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:43 am

uli wrote:.................................

EDIT: I found the pack on Trainsim.com. The filename is 'UKTS_16687_2P_Multipack.zip'.

Uli

Yes, that's the required file - When you unzip the file and run the EXE to install it, it copies the locos into the Trainset using the folder name ' 2P_Balahub_Multipack'.

Regards, Brian

ShortNorth
ShortNorth

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeanddi Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:35 pm

Thank you Brian.

I had already downloaded "UKTS_6465_LMS_Patriot_5511", but this contains an engine file designated "LMS_551.eng" and a tender "pat_ten_rails2.wag", so this is not compatible with the relevant consist.

I will, therefore, follow Tony's suggestion (thanks Tony) and amend the consist.

Mike

mikeanddi

Back to top Go down

Post  tonya37 Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:48 am

Thank you Uli  Smile

The P1 has now returned to normal duties, much to the fireman's relief, and the P2 is back in service.
Updates to BBS's LMS 1930's era TSSH file library Open_r18

Kind Regards

Tony

tonya37

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:04 am

Thanks for that. I was searching the UKTS list for files with Bala in the name, hence I missed the one I was looking for,
So ignore what I wrote above about it being part of the route pack.
On the Bala Hub route, there are some fascinating backwaters around Wrexham, Acrefair, Trevor and the end of the Llangollen Canal. There were all sorts of industries there once upon a time.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:43 am

NEW ACTIVITY PACK

The next updated LMS 1930's activity pack is now available for download from the TSSH file library - for the Huddersfield and Environs - LMS 1930's route.

This pack is essentially the main activities from the 1920 version of the route, but with the stock and Consists updated to use LMS liveried 'standard' stock, and LMS liveried ex pre-grouping stock.

All stock used is either from the TSSH file library, but I found a reasonable amount of LMS stock on the Trainsim.com website - however, some of this is quite old and maybe not up to today's expectations of model quality. Nonetheless, it does provide a fair variety of LMS era locomotives to use - along with the re-release of Darwin Smith's 1140+ LMS liveried carriages.

Over the next few weeks or so, I'll make up a new LMS activity pack  for 'LYR Heartland - LMS 1930's' route. HOWEVER, Darwin is making up a pack of new 'LMS Carriages for LYR Heartland' similar to those he made for Huddersfield, so I have to wait until these become publicly available to finish off the activity pack.

Regards, Brian

PS - I'm also working on an LMS 1930's activity pack to go with Clive's excellent 'Thames-Trent V3' - even though the route is set firmly in the 50's/60's it still looks great with LMS trains running over the route.

ShortNorth
ShortNorth

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:17 am

A CHANGE OF PLANS

For the last couple of years I have been making Activities for the four LMS pre-grouping 1920 routes and the three LMS 1930's routes. Initially, activities were only Stage1 activities (that is just a drive from A to B WITHOUT oncoming AI traffic) - as time progressed I updated to Stage2 activities which included extensive oncoming AI Traffic. For the pre-group scenario this was not a problem, because most, if not all, of the pre-grouping stock was built using MSTS physics.

At present, the only route activity pack not fully completed is the LYR Heartland LMS 1930's route, which I have been working on for some time.

HOWEVER, there is a problem ! The most recent LMS livery stock (since the demise of the UKTS file library), is a mixture of MSTS physics stock and OR physics stock, especially Darwin's newest carriage packs.

It is easy enough to create the basic activity in MSTS Activity Editor, but when you come to add in the AI traffic, and attempt to check the activity using the 'Verify Starting State' command, MSTS AE CRASHES, because it was never designed to work with rolling stock using OR physics.

This last weekend, I have tried to make two activities for LYR Heartland with AI stock, and the MSTS AE constantly crashed. I have come to the conclusion, it is now far too unstable to continue building activities with AI stock that use OR physics. After working on it all weekend, it came to nothing !

I know that TSRE5 has a rudimentary Activity Editor, but it is not developed enough to easily add AI traffic to a new activity.

So, reluctantly, I have decided to now only create Stage1 activities WITHOUT AI TRAFFIC.

It is disappointing that we are currently in a 'void' between the old MSTS tools and the newer OR tools that makes it very hard to build intensive activities. Hopefully we might see a 'proper' Activity Editor released that will work with rolling stock built to the OR physics parameters.

ShortNorth
ShortNorth

Back to top Go down

Post  tonya37 Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:42 am

Hi Brian

With all the activities you have recently published I still have many left to run, so I would say that a pause is not inopportune, although I do look forward to more complex activities.

I am about to teach my grandmother to suck eggs (I think!). Before I start I should say I use OR exclusively, and I don't seem to have had any problems running activities that presumably are designed for MSTS (eg NWE). I have two things going for me, I am such a bad driver that any "meets" are likely well outside the timetable anyway, and secondly if they are I wouldn't know. Be that as it may I expect you know that OR is happy to accept eng and wag files that contain INCLUDES, so it is possible to make even OR files compatible with MSTS, so at least MSTS users could be kept happy. Personally I am not concerned if an activity doesn't run exactly as planned, so as long as I can see something happening I'm happy!

OR of course prides itself on realistic performance of DRIVER trains, but I don't know about AI trains in OR.

Anyway your activities thus far are very much appreciated, and I hope you come up with a practical solution using OR rolling stock with MSTS activities.

Regards

Tony

tonya37

neanderthal likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  darwins Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:46 am

"OR of course prides itself on realistic performance of DRIVER trains, but I don't know about AI trains in OR."

Unfortunately AI trains in OR do not perform very well. They all zoom along either at line speed or at the max speed set in the consist file if lower. Their speed is not reduced by climbing hills and I don't think you can do much to change acceleration or braking rates either. SI traffic is really the disappointing side of OR, especially on hilly routes.

darwins

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down