Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Posting on UKTS!

+8
slipperman12
neanderthal
AtsuMio
Jonathan David
ShortNorth
peacockg
cgood124
rufuskins
12 posters

Go down

Posting on UKTS! Empty Posting on UKTS!

Post  rufuskins Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:14 pm

I can't believe that I wrote back in August 2018 that I wasn't going to post in TSSH, and as may have been noticed I didn't exactly stop!
Initially I spent time and money on the model railway, but I no longer do that and now spend time and money (again) on plastic model kits. But just recently my interest in MSTS has been rekindled and I'm slowly remembering how to drive again!
At the same time I am also slowly working my way through 36 Mini Routes and amending those errors highlighted by Ged's super utilities MSTS_Check v2.1 and SMS_Checker v5.1. With the numerous highlighted errors it still amazes me as to how MSTS still runs!
I might even try my hand with Open Rails, but unfortunately my memory is such that I can't remember which keys do what!
I also keep an eye on UKTrainSim and TrainSim, although as has been noted the former's future seems less than certain! As a source of information and freeware it has been invaluable, and if it were to disappear I'm sure would be sadly missed!
Well it's back to Mini Route checking and then further adventures in MSTS on my Windows 7 OS computer!
Alec

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Posting on UKTS! Empty Re: Posting on UKTS!

Post  slipperman12 Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:28 pm

Hi Alec,
Good to hear from you, mate Smile

I was a reluctant convert to Windows 10!  In fact, I still dual-boot my PC whereby I can log into Win 7 or Win 10, but I've not used the latter for what must be at least 2 years!  I'm quite comfortable with Win 10 - the conditions for being able to run MSTS are the same as for Win 7.

Open Rails is worth looking at - most of the basic keystrokes are the same as for MSTS, although the extra functions have their own..

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:36 pm

Good morning Alec.  It is good to see that you are posting again and working on making the sims better!  Just one point, most of the newly released routes are "advertised" as only for Open Rails.  They will show many errors in the utilities because of this.

David

David
dforrest
dforrest

Location : St. Vincent and the Grenadines (and in an earlier life, Hull)

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:19 pm

Hi David,
... only for Open Rails.  They will show many errors in the utilities because of this.
This is new to me!  If you have any details, it'd be appreciated if you'd let me know, please.
I try to make my utilities applicable to both MSTS and Open Rails and, as far as I am aware, OR accepts basic MSTS files which is, mainly, what are checked..

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:31 pm

slipperman12 wrote:Hi David,
... only for Open Rails.  They will show many errors in the utilities because of this.
This is new to me!  If you have any details, it'd be appreciated if you'd let me know, please.
I try to make my utilities applicable to both MSTS and Open Rails and, as far as I am aware, OR accepts basic MSTS files which is, mainly, what are checked..

Cheers,
Ged

Ged, it is not a problem with your utilities but with what OR will accept and run with, where MSTS considers them an error. Two examples are missing texture files, particularly night and snow, which do not give an error on OR and do in MSTS, and an ESD of 256 which is accepted by OR and not MSTS.

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:50 pm

At this moment in time I am more than happy to be driving trains on MSTS, although I accept that Open Rails can give an improved experience. Mind you if the doom mongers out there are correct, vis-a-vis blackouts over winter, then the choice of train simulator becomes a somewhat moot point.
I'm also considering whether to recommence using TrainSim Modeller, although having thinned out my references that might well be a problem!

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:25 pm

Hi David,
Thanks for you reply - that's a bit of a relief!!

Of course, it also works the other way - MSTS "accepts" many parameters which are obviously incorrect, but doesn't complain, whereas Open Rails reports them on its log.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:46 pm

slipperman12 wrote:Hi David,
Thanks for you reply - that's a bit of a relief!!

Of course, it also works the other way - MSTS "accepts" many parameters which are obviously incorrect, but doesn't complain, whereas Open Rails reports them on its log.

Cheers,
Ged

This is what I was trying to warn Alec about!

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  cgood124 Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:58 pm

Hello all,

Just seen this on the UKTS forums so maybe we need to start downloading loads.

https://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=154539&start=15

Cheers Craig

cgood124

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:35 pm

Hi Craig,
Thanks for posting that!!
I think we all knew it was coming sometime, but I wonder, how long is "a few months"?

And what effect will it have on the Open Rails site??

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  peacockg Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:00 pm

Peter Peddlesden posted in the topic that UKTS will close 31 Aug 2023.
I have read posts that suggest users are willing to take over the running of the site but I am not aware that there has been any response.

Garry
peacockg
peacockg

Back to top Go down

Post  j3801 Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:15 am

I have made a few attempts to contact them about taking over the MSTS/OR side of things but so far no response.

Justin

Posting on UKTS! Sig10
j3801
j3801
Admin

https://tsforum.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  neanderthal Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:02 am

Thats sad Justin, maybe Peters just "Had Enough" so to speak.

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

https://rogers.smith1@hotmail.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:19 am

Hi All,
Roger's probably right, but I think we should thank Peter for giving us fair warning, unlike 3DTrains which just went, suddenly!

Many thanks to all those authors who are arranging to transfer their models and other files to TSSH Smile

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

neanderthal likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:06 am

j3801 wrote:I have made a few attempts to contact them about taking over the MSTS/OR side of things but so far no response.

Justin

I think there are a couple of factors in play here :

The fact that most of the early authors setup strict copyright conditions that their models be hosted ONLY on UKTS makes it technically impossible to copy over the vast majority of existing assets, to an alternative site such as TSSH. Many authors have either left the hobby or passed away, and therefore we are unlikely to get permissions to host on TSSH.

As I see it, the ONLY way we will be able to 'rescue' the WHOLE file library, is to somehow seek agreement to take over the WHOLE UKTS site, and, very important, be able to also KEEP the name UKTrainSim. If the name is kept, then existing copyright will allow continuation of availability of those models.

The second factor, is one of trying to 'strip back' the content to just MSTS/OR models only, especially considering the amount of content that exits for 'OTHER SIMULATORS'. This alone would be a massive task and would take some considerable time to achieve.

Personally, I think our current approach of encouraging 'currently active' content creators to amend their models to alternative sources of soundsets/cabviews, then copy over to TSSH is probably the best alternative we have. At least we can retain some of the more important models from the library.

Regards, Brian

"Any railway that paints their locomotives such a magnificent shade of red, must be the most superior in the land" (apologies to the late David Jenkinson).
ShortNorth
ShortNorth

http://shortnorth.steam4me.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  j3801 Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:31 am

Hi Brian,

Yes, that was/is my intentions, to keep the UKTS name going for the copyright/upload restriction requirements. I’d be willing to try to take it on, with help from the current UKTS team as well as getting help here on TSSH.

Splitting the files out would just be a long process, it can be done, it would just take time.

Amending the files for the active users is definitely a good way forward, but then we also have some of the files from “non-active” members (Dave Babb and Dave Robinson) which we only have hosting permission. Eventually we are going to need somebody to work through and release sperate patches to bypass any missing file issues.

As it currently stands, we are going to lose a hell of a lot of files that are needed for a lot of the add-ons.
There is currently 21 years (or so) of community developed files available. We are well past the peak of MSTSs usage and OR uses a different set of physics so a lot of what you could do in MSTS doesn’t translate over, so I can’t see anybody seriously committing to rebuild 21 years of work. Yes, what we produce now will be to a better standard, but we don’t have the masses of developers picking away at things that we did even 10 years ago.

I would personally love to be able to focus a lot of my time and effort into MSTS work, but I have bills to pay and unfortunately I can’t afford to give up my job to do this full time if I want to still be able to afford to do things, like buying a book that I need for modelling reference. Getting books on most things relating to the UK railways is fairly difficult in Australia. Most books that I have, have come from the UK, and that is fairly costly for shipping.

I apologize if this comes across as a rant, I just feel fairly frustrated with the whole situation.

Regards,
Justin

Posting on UKTS! Sig10
j3801
j3801
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:49 am

Has anyone had any contact with users of the other sims whose stock etc appear regularly on UKTS? In recent years at least two other sims have been better represented in downloads than MSTS.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  AtsuMio Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:49 pm

I really hope everything on there can be archived in some way, would hate to lose all of it.
AtsuMio
AtsuMio

Back to top Go down

Post  neanderthal Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:44 am

So slightly off post, but has 3D Trains stopped Trading also ?

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:33 pm

Hi Roger,
Yes, mate, quite a long time ago!!

If you're looking for ScaleRail and/or ScaleRoad, they were available from the elvastower library, but appear to have 'disappeared' again!!.

Cheers,
Ged

EDIT : Just discovered that ScaleRail and ScaleRoad should be available from trainsim.com in a couple of days or so - we await with bated breath!!

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:56 pm

Hi,
ScaleRail and ScaleRoads are now available from trainsim.com as : scalerail.zip, scalerail_standard.zip (textures) and scaleroads.zip

They have also been restored to the elvastower.com library under Downloads > Add MSTS Files > Scenery Items for the Route Editor.

Cheers,
Ged

Edit :  All the originally available texture and switch stand files are now available from trainsim.com (search for '3dtrains') as well as elvastower.com

Last edited by slipperman12 on Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  neanderthal Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:35 pm

'I'm sorry Ged if I've given the wrong impression I wasn't looking for Scalerail, I wanted to buy / Download Cambrian 2 and its add ons.I couldn't seem to get in touch on line., thats why I asked!Thank you for the reply though.

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:02 pm

Hi Roger,
Cambrian 2 is available from 3DTrainStuff.com NOT 3DTrains.com!!
That site is still running, as of 5 minutes ago!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  NiallGray Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:24 am

Hi all,

Just popping in to say I'm happy for you to host all my uploads that are currently on UKTS.

However, I don't have time to do so myself.

But permission is given to host them all here if you want to.

Niall

NiallGray

Back to top Go down

Post  j3801 Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:29 am

Hi Niall,

I have been meaning to reply back to your message to say thank you for the permission (this past week has been chaotic at work to say the least).
I do have your files "ready" for putting on the site, which will happen soon as I am (finally) taking some annual leave from my day job.

Again, thank you for helping to keep MSTS alive!

Justin

Posting on UKTS! Sig10
j3801
j3801
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:23 pm

I also am happy for you to host all my uploads that are currently on UKTS.

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  j3801 Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:10 am

Cheers Mate!

I have your files backed up and they will be available soon from TSSHFH!

Justin

Posting on UKTS! Sig10
j3801
j3801
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  j3801 Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:37 am

Hello Everyone,

I have surprised myself and managed to get the "server" change done in one day.
I do apologize if there was any hiccups of files suddenly not being available and then coming back, a few minor Human glitches along the way were the cause.
Everything SHOULD be ok now.

Please feel free to contact me if there are any issues.

Over the coming days I will get the other promised files up onto the site.

Regards,
Justin

Posting on UKTS! Sig10
j3801
j3801
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:14 pm

Has anyone thought about what will happen to Stuart Williamson's sound files and Ian Macmillan's extensive collection of wagons, when UKTS closes?

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  j3801 Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:35 pm

Hi David,

Most of Ian's files have a UKTS only hosting limit on them unfortunately, there are a few that don't and I am working towards getting the up for release.
I would be more than happy to have all of Ian's files up, but unless I can get permission for them, then they can't go up. As much as I would like to think that Ian would give his blessing, I can't be sure.

Stuart Williamson's sound files will be looked at soon to see if I can get them uploaded.

I have also reached out to Chris Heighton (morpethcurve) and Alistair Cowell (GlasgowWorks), but so far I have not heard back.

Regards,
Justin

Posting on UKTS! Sig10
j3801
j3801
Admin

Jonathan David likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Hymek Sat May 13, 2023 2:45 pm

Hi All

I've just noticed UKTS is down at the moment and found this thread (ive been away for a few years now)

I'm just posting to say I am happy for all my reskins to be hosted on this website (any previous mentions regarding hosting was mainly to keep it from being posted freely on other sites back in the day)

Obviously this depends on what authors of models have said regarding their work, but yeah, im happy for my skins to be hosted here for sure

(Give me a shout if you are missing any of them, as, i think i have them all backed up somewhere, so will happily send them to you if you need them, i could always do some modifications (such as removing the .s and .sd files from uploads to make things easier to host if that works?)

Hymek

Back to top Go down

Post  j3801 Tue May 16, 2023 7:02 am

Hi Mate!

Thank you for the permission to host your files.
Hopefully there shouldn't bee too much issue with the hosting of your files.
I will make a start soon getting your files together and then get them uploaded.

Regards,
Justin

Posting on UKTS! Sig10
j3801
j3801
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down