Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brakes in first generation DMUs

+2
StephenRWells
rufuskins
6 posters

Go down

Brakes in first generation DMUs Empty Brakes in first generation DMUs

Post  Jonathan David Sun 24 Oct 2021, 5:36 pm

I have just gone back and done a run on the original commercial Cambrian Coast route. I was driving one of the DMUs supplied with the route.
This has braking in three stages. Once one gets to the actual braking stage, even if one is asking for zero braking, the brakes come on and do not go off until one has almost got back to the start of the "running" section. I hope that is is clear.
The result is that it is not possible to brake just a little, say to drop the speed as one approaches a lower speed limit. Speed drops quite fast.
Is there a way of altering the braking characteristics so that one can brake just a little?
With other stock I often use the locomotive brake, which is both less effective in slowing the train and can be put on and taken off instantly, but these units do not have one.
One another matter, I bought the route long before I moved to mid Wales. Now I am very familiar with the line and its history, it is evident that it is not that accurate in many places. Does anyone know if the Cambrian Coast 2 route is any more accurate? I would like to be able to run over the whole Cambrian system, but would find it very annoying if it differed much from what I know was there.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Brakes in first generation DMUs Empty Re: Brakes in first generation DMUs

Post  rufuskins Mon 25 Oct 2021, 3:52 pm

Hi Jonathan
I have Cambrian 2 as a Mini Route, although I no longer have the relevant discs.
The .trk file contains the following statement:-

"Our Cambrian Railways route includes most of the Cambrian network, with the exception of the main line between Oswestry and Whitchurch. The line from Shrewsbury is also included. The nominal era of the route is 1960, although this hasn't stopped us from including branch lines that closed in the 1950s and the impressive station roof at Shrewsbury. As you will discover, there are plenty of passenger stations and goods sidings, allowing infinite activity possibilities and many enjoyable hours of driving."

I hope this answers your query.

All the best, Alec

PS: Should have added that my Mini_Route contains 293 activities. I can't remember how many came with the original disc or how many came from 3DTS add-ons and UKTS!

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Tue 26 Oct 2021, 10:20 am

Hi Jonathan,

I have had many happy hours with Cambrian 2 and although I don't have an intimate knowledge of the area it is important to remember that this is a representation and not a replica. After all, you wouldn't expect every house to be in its exact position, correct roof, right number of bricks, etc. etc. ? To me the route is very good with a few obvious mistakes as is common with other routes, Briscard has at least 2 missing platforms!!

The Class 101's are very difficult to drive as supplied and not very realistic in performance - the 2 car units go like the proverbial  "bat out of hell" but add a centre unit and they hardly move. Have you tried installing other ones? There are plenty available over at UKTS and maybe other sites.

Also this may be useful - Vacuum Brakes in ORTS [263756 bytes] - Vacuum Brakes in ORTS v1.pdf File ID: 37593

Regards,  

Stephen

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

IsambardKingdomBrunel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  IsambardKingdomBrunel Wed 27 Oct 2021, 9:46 pm

Cambrian Route 2 is well worth having.

As long as you remember it is a 2007 vintage release.

Well worth getting the diesels addon for it as well.

Click piccie to see full size.

Brakes in first generation DMUs Run-Activity-2021-10-27-21-24-29-08

Brakes in first generation DMUs Run-Activity-2021-10-27-21-24-42-76

Brakes in first generation DMUs Run-Activity-2021-10-27-21-25-58-19

Brakes in first generation DMUs Run-Activity-2021-10-27-21-26-57-42

Brakes in first generation DMUs Run-Activity-2021-10-27-21-31-01-06

Brakes in first generation DMUs Run-Activity-2021-10-27-21-31-09-95

Brakes in first generation DMUs Run-Activity-2021-10-27-21-31-41-99

Brakes in first generation DMUs Run-Activity-2021-10-27-21-32-05-79

Regards,
Mike.

Brakes in first generation DMUs Run-Activity-2021-10-27-21-32-59-72
IsambardKingdomBrunel
IsambardKingdomBrunel

neanderthal and arjanm like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  neanderthal Thu 28 Oct 2021, 11:24 am

100% agree .Cambrian 1 was good, Cambrian 2 was much much better, just remember to be ready for the climb up to Talerddigg summit..

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

https://rogers.smith1@hotmail.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Tary5 Thu 28 Oct 2021, 2:49 pm

Hi Jonathan,

Are you still having braking issues with your Cambrian first generation DMU's.
You may wish to take a look at UKTS File ID 39002 by Darwin Smith. This Contains example replacement eng and wag files for first generation dmu's.

Only eng, wag and cvf files are included so you will need to be confident to place these in appropriate folders within your MSTS/OR installations.

Hope this helps

Terry White

Tary5

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Thu 28 Oct 2021, 2:58 pm

Many thanks for replies to both my queries.
What really made me asked about CC2 was when I got to Barmouth in CC1, a station I know very well, and the footbridge was the wrong end of the platform; and some of the halts seemed to be rather "representative", and not always even with platforms on the correct side of the track. One in particular I remember as having a roads bridge across the line at the end of the platform and I do not remember that feature in the MSTS version.
And I suppose if I do buy CC2 I shall be looking for Cambrian Railways locos ands stock! OK, I know that the period of the SIM is much later, but not a lot changed over the years.
I'll read that file on brakes when I have time.
Jonathan
PS Not for MSTS but I was recently sent the attached image of a Cambrian brake van produced from a drawing I let the simmer have - he is German.
Attachments
Brakes in first generation DMUs Attachment
Cambrian brake van.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(268 Kb) Downloaded 10 times

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down