Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Chilterns

+9
slipperman12
docmartin
stlsf4003
Scampispeedway
StephenRWells
Jonathan David
MS302
mikeanddi
rufuskins
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Chilterns Empty The Chilterns

Post  docmartin Wed 28 Feb 2018, 11:55 pm

This is just a quickie to let everyone know that I am still working on my immediately pre-Beeching version of the Chiltern Line.  There was a long thread, now long locked, about this on the UKTrainSim Forum.  The route covers the two lines through the Chilterns, the old GWR/GCR joint line and the old GCR/Metropolitan joint line together with many ancilliary lines that either branch from, cross or run parallel to one or other of these main lines.  The GWR/GCR line runs from Cropredy just north of Banbury to Marylebone via Princes Risborough and High Wycombe while the GWR/Met line runs from Woodford Halse to Marylebone and Baker Street via Aylesbury, Amersham and Rickmansworth.  Also included is the line from Banbury to Didcot, the Met branches to Uxbridge, Watford and Chesham, the branch from High Wycombe to Maidenhead, the connecting lines between the two main lines from Banbury to Culworth Junction, from Princes Risborough to Aylesbury and from Ashendon Junction to Grendon Underwood Junction, the Piccadilly line from Acton Town to Uxbridge (which joins the Met at Rayners Lane), the Central line from North Acton to West Ruislip and Ealing Broadway together with the parallel west of England line from just west of Old Oak to Southall, the branch from Southall to the docks at Brentford and the Bakerloo (as it was in the timeframe of the route) from Baker Street to Stanmore.

All trackwork is in place, the stretch from Banbury to High Wycombe is fully sceneried, and many custom built stations are finished.  All the stations on the GWR/GCR joint line are complete, the Central Line stations are done, Piccadilly line stations from Acton Town to South Harrow are complete as are all the stations on the section of the Bakerloo that I have modelled.  I am currently working on the stations on the Metropolitan.  I have finished all the stations from Baker Street up to and including Harrow-on-the-Hill and am now building the Uxbridge underpass just north of Harrow before embarking on building the stations needed for the Uxbridge branch.  Apart from those in the fully sceneried part of the route, I have built one or two other necessary scenery objects, including the former power station at Neasden depot and the GCR engine shed also at Neasden. As I work my way along the route I have also built custom bridges where stock items are not adequate for the track/road layout.

I hope to post some screenshots in the fairly near future.

Martin
docmartin
docmartin

Back to top Go down

The Chilterns Empty Re: The Chilterns

Post  slipperman12 Thu 01 Mar 2018, 8:28 am

Hi Martin,
Thanks for the update Smile

It's good to know you're still working on your, what I think will be a fantastic, route and I look forward to running on it as and when ...

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Thu 01 Mar 2018, 11:58 am

Hi Martin,

This update gives a massive and welcome insight into how the route is taking shape.
Living close to part of it as I do, it will definitely be a must have as and when it is ready.

Regards,

Stephen

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Thu 01 Mar 2018, 7:17 pm

I always followed the UKTS thread on this route and marvelled at the extent and detail. Such good news to hear that it is still progressing, and I look forward to seeing any screen shots.

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  docmartin Thu 01 Mar 2018, 8:43 pm

I haven't tried attaching any screenshots before, so here goes with my first experiment. This is a shot of the Metropolitan line platforms at Baker Street.

And many thanks for your encouraging replies.

Martin
Attachments
The Chilterns Attachment
BakerSt1.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(275 Kb) Downloaded 27 times
docmartin
docmartin

Back to top Go down

Post  docmartin Thu 01 Mar 2018, 11:09 pm

Could one of you who downloaded my screenshot of Baker St let me know if the image was uploaded OK? If so, I'll upload a few more screenies.

Martin
docmartin
docmartin

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Thu 01 Mar 2018, 11:37 pm

Yes, it was received OK.

David
dforrest
dforrest

Location : St. Vincent and the Grenadines (and in an earlier life, Hull)

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Fri 02 Mar 2018, 9:20 am

An excellent one too! OK

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  docmartin Sat 03 Mar 2018, 11:42 pm

Here's another couple of screenshots, picked out pretty much at random.  The first is of West Ruislip station, terminus of the Central Line and penultimate BR station in the London direction of the GCR/GWR joint line.  BR tracks on the right, Central Line tracks on the left.  The second is of South Ruislip station, which is the final BR station before Northolt Junction, where the old GCR heads off for Neasden and then Marylebone and the old GWR continues straight on to Old Oak and Paddington.

Although I have posted in the MSTS forum, when if ever I release the route, I will do so for Open Rails.  I have a number of reasons.  First, in some places my signals do not light up properly when running in MSTS (even though I am using MSBin) whereas there are no problems in OR.  Second, it would be nice to include working turntables.  And finally, my understanding from posts in the Elvas Tower forum is that it is possible to have more than one carspawner in OR.  I shall have to experiment with this at some point since more than one carspawner means that one can have buses running in only the locations that are correct for them, thus avoiding, for instance, having London buses running in Oxfordshire and so forth.
Attachments
The Chilterns Attachment
AWestRuislip.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(282 Kb) Downloaded 34 times
The Chilterns Attachment
ASouthRuislip.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(237 Kb) Downloaded 29 times
docmartin
docmartin

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Sun 04 Mar 2018, 11:15 am

Hi Martin,

These are two more lovely screen shots which show off your route to great advantage. I will look forward to more information etc. as and when you make it available.

The separate carspawners is something that I have been thinking about for use in the Dorset Coast Route as as you said you don't want London buses running out of their normal area. There is more on this in the Open Rails Manual - all of it is well worth reading to understand all the functions and their use as well as using Open Rails.

Regards,

Stephen

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  docmartin Tue 06 Mar 2018, 10:36 pm

The Chilterns Downpl10

I think I have figured out how to insert screenshots into a post.  If it works, this is a pic of the down platform at High Wycombe.  The train is a Class 117 DMU, which I used to ride to work every weekday on this line back in the 80s.  And a horrible experience it was too Sad

With the line at his point cut into the side of the valley of the River Wye, there was not a great deal of room for the station so the platforms at High Wycombe are staggered and there is a huge retaining wall.  You can see the subway connecting up and down platforms in the centre of the shot.

Martin
docmartin
docmartin

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Wed 07 Mar 2018, 8:46 am

OK OK OK

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  docmartin Fri 15 Nov 2019, 10:45 pm

I am still working on my Chiltern route and want to give an update and ask a question.  The question is: should I upload the route as is or not, bearing in mind that it is at best a beta version and only partially sceneried?

To fully appreciate what is involved, you need to see the route map below:
The Chilterns Map10

The core of the route are the two lines running through the Chilterns: the exGCR/GWR line from Banbury to Marylebone via Princes Risborough, High Wycombe and Northolt Junction; and the exGCR/Metropolitan line from Woodford Halse to Marylebone and Baker Street via Aylesbury and Rickmansworth. It should be recalled that the nominal period of the route is circa 1960.

In addition, I have included the Cherwell Valley line from Banbury to Didcot via Oxford.  This was originally created as a contemporary route by Michael Willis; with permission, I have incorporated it into  my route and adapted and rebuilt it as necessary in order to reflect the state of the line as it was sixty years ago.  Also included are the cross-country branches connecting these three main lines.  Finally, I have included a number of London Transport underground lines where these either run alongside the BR lines, as is the case with the Bakerloo (pre-Jubilee) and Central lines, or cross the BR lines, as is the case with the Piccadilly line.  The Metropolitan line from Baker Street northwards, of course, forms an integral part of the route but I have also modelled the branches to Uxbridge, Watford and Chesham. There is also a short stretch of the District line between Ealing Broadway and Acton Town because it runs alongside a section of the GWR main line; I have included a stretch of the latter between a point just west of Old Oak to just beyond Southall.

The only part of the route that is fully sceneried is Banbury to High Wycombe.  In the rest of the route the scenery varies from sporadic to non-existent.  I have, however, made sure that all the stations that the route calls for have been modelled, or, to be more precise, will have been modelled once I finish the 11 stations that remain for me to build.

Richard Stevenson has kindly created a number of activities for the route, in part for testing purposes.  The following screenshots are taken from his
activities and give some idea of the state of completion, or otherwise, of the route.

The Chilterns Abingd10

A view of Abingdon station with the shuttle to Radley on the main line waiting at the platform.  A batch of MGAs from the nearby MG factory can be seen awaiting shipment and a pair of Oxford Corporation AEC Regent double-deckers can be seen at left.  The maltings on the left is a model by Reg Furniss used with permission.

The Chilterns Autoco14
A Princes Risborough autocoach service is waiting to depart at the brand new rebuilt Banbury station.  The rebuilding took place 1956-58.

The Chilterns Autoco13
We see the same autocoach service but looking this time across the tracks to the exLMR Banbury Merton Street station, which in the timeframe of the route was still open.

The Chilterns Aylesb10
Here we see a Fairburn tank hauling an Aylesbury to Baker Street service.  The motive power will be changed to electric at Rickmansworth.  Metropolitan electrification in the period of the route has just been extended to Amersham and Chesham but the changover of motive power for the time being still takes place at Rickmansworth.

The Chilterns Bakerl10
A Bakerloo line train is about to depart from the terminus at Stanmore.  This, of course, is now the Jubilee line, which did not exist in the time period of the route.

The Chilterns Capita10
Here is the Capitals Express.  It has departed Paddington on its way to Bristol and is seen passing under the North London Line just east of Acton Main Line station.  The reporting code carried on the smokebox, so typical of WR trains, is an example of the facility of multiple freight anims offered by Open Rails, in which this screenshot was taken.  The eng file for the locomotive in the picture refers to two freight anims, one for the crew and one for the reporting number; this is not possible in MSTS.  

The Chilterns Centra10
Central Line 1960 stock waiting at Acton North station.  This consists of Craven built driving cars and repainted Standard Stock trailing cars.  The models are my own.

The Chilterns Interr10
A feature of including the Didcot-Banbury line is that it allows for the appearance of the numerous inter-regional trains between the Southern region and the north.  The Southern engines could be Battle of Britain, West Country or King Arthur class and were changed at Oxford where they would wait on shed to pick up a return working.

The Chilterns Piccad10
A Piccadilly line train awaits departure at Uxbridge.  Just visible behind the station are tram tracks of the services between Uxbridge and Shepherds Bush.  This is an anachronism because the trams were replaced by trolleybuses in 1936 and the trolleybuses themselves lasted only to November 1960.  However, I wanted an authentic route on which to run Richard Scott's excellent model of the London United, later London Transport, Feltham tram.

The Chilterns Marlow10
The "Marlow Donkey" at Marlow.  This provided a shuttle service between Marlow and the junction of the High Wycombe to Maidenhead line at Bourne End.  At peak times the service was extended to Maidenhead.

The Chilterns Midlan10
Here we see the ultra modern Midland Pullman having left Paddington en route to Birmingham.  It is passing Ruislip LT Central Line depot.

The Chilterns Verney10
This is Verney Junction on the Oxford to Bletchley "Varsity" line.  Passenger services were still extant in the period of the route though the departures from Oxford took place from the main exGWR station rather than the exLMS Oxford Rewley Road station alongside it.  Verney Junction was the furthest outpost of the Metropolitan Railway but services between Baker Street and Verney Junction were withdrawn following the absorption of the Metropolitan into London Transport in 1936.  However, although anachronistic, I have included the connecting branch between Verney Junction and Quainton Road Junction on the GCR/Met main line in the interests of running the old Metropolitan services.

The Chilterns Suburb10
A local service approaches Southall.  The iconic building is the water tower, long since, I believe, converted to flats.

The Chilterns Suburb11
More local services waiting to depart at Marylebone.  These all consist of Eastern region stock.  One of the interesting features of the route is that in the period since nationalisation in 1948 to that of the route in c.1960 it came under the aegis of no less than three different regions.  Since BR inherited the lines from the GCR, the first region responsible for the route was the Eastern.  Then ownership was transferred to the London Midland region.  Finally, by the 1960s the route came under the Western region.  This means that activities can be written for the route using stock from the three different regions, besides the interregional workings from the Southern region mentioned above.

The Chilterns Rickma10
Here we see the process of changeover between steam and electric power on the Metropolitan at Rickmansworth mentioned above.  With permission I have reskinned the original model of No.12 Met Bo-Bo Sarah Siddons to all extant members of the class as at 1960.

The Chilterns Oir10
This is a shot taken on the Oxfordshire Ironstone Railway and gives a good idea of the state of much of the scenery in the route!  There were extensive ironstone quarries in north Oxfordshire and south Northants and I have included in the route the industrial railway of the Oxforshire Ironstone workings.  Unusually for an industrial railway this was standard gauge and fully signalled.  Because of the location of the ore crusher the OIR worked "wrong way" throughout.  The Peckett locomotive in the screenshot is a reskin by the original author, Michael Young, into what we agree was a probable livery for the OIR as colour photos of later diesel locomotives on the OIR show them in a deep maroon livery.

At the moment I have not made snow or night textures for the numerous models (approx. 2000) I have made for the route and therefore it works only in summer daytime. Further, I am sure that I must have made mistakes here and there, including a couple of places where the track database gives evidence of localised corruption, and therefore the route at the moment can be considered a beta version only.  However, given that to fully complete the scenery will be another very lengthy task, I am wondering whether you would prefer for me to release the beta version; or would you rather wait for the fully completed route?

There is one further consideration.  I would prefer to release the route for Open Rails, though it will work in MSTS.  Open Rails presents several advantages over MSTS.  The first benefit that OR brings is, of course, vastly improved frame rates.  What first brought me to try OR, however, was the fact that I noticed in MSTS that in certain sections of the route signal lights were not working, even though the route is patched with MsBin, whereas this was not a problem in OR.  Another advantage is the ability to support multiple carspawners; this is a very useful facility as one can tailor the carspawner to a particular area of the route and thus avoid, for example, a London Transport bus showing up in deepest Oxforshire and so forth.  In addition, OR permits working turntables and the facility for multiple freight anims, which I mentioned above.  I have, however, found a significant disadvantage in that the last stable version seems to lose scenery after running an activity for a while.  It does seem, though, that this does not happen with the latest experimental version and so presumably this issue is being addressed.  A further problem, however, is that OR physics are not available for all stock and in particular I find that LT underground stock does not perform well in OR (if at all, though hopefully Darwin Smith is working on this).  I think that the advantages tend to outweigh the disadvantages and since the latter will I imagine be resolved in due course, I am inclined to release the route as for Open Rails, though with the note that it will work in MSTS though without any of the OR-specific features.

So, I would welcome your views: To release or not to release - that is the question.
docmartin
docmartin

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sat 16 Nov 2019, 11:08 am

Hi Martin,
Absolutely fantastic screenshots - thank you Smile

On the assumption that the TDB won't change between release of the beta version and that of the final version, I'd say release it now, please! This will give the (few!) remaining activity writers the chance to create activities for your route. Although I've not switched over to Open Rails yet, there are a great many advantages and, as it's still under development, any bugs are being squashed!

Well Done, sir!!

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Sat 16 Nov 2019, 12:30 pm

I agree. The route looks marvelous. Go ahead and release a Beta version now, with your stock and your testing activities if possible. You will probably get comments which help you with the final version.

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Sat 16 Nov 2019, 2:28 pm

Hi Martin,

I totally agree with Ged and Martin, release it and we can enjoy what you have done so far. I would also say release as Open Rails as it is far better than MSTS especially with all the extra functions available. These days I only ever use Open Rails and because of this all my newer activities will only work with Open Rails, including any I make for your route. I tend to mainly use the experimental version which also includes the Monogame version which gives me even better frame rates ( sometimes up to 75 ) and improved graphics; it can be a bit unstable at times leading to the occasional crash to desktop. Sometimes this is caused by programming errors with the ai traffic and the error report is completely unintelligible to me!!!! I shouldn't worry too much about the lack of OR physics as the biggest cause of problems is when both Air and Vacuum brakes are used in the same engine and/or consist. Most of my activities are released so that they work without any changes to the eng. and wag. files being needed due to some people being unable or unwilling to change them.

Looking forward to the route,

Stephen

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Sat 16 Nov 2019, 2:57 pm

I agree with Stephen. Go with Open Rails.

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  MS302 Sat 16 Nov 2019, 3:26 pm

I am full of admiration for your work,it is something that I could never do,and I have no criticism but should just like to make a couple of observations.I was so looking forward to this route appearing as it would allow me to re live driving the rubbish trains from Northolt to Calvert and the trains with spoil from Crossrail to Calvert.The night Calvert was probably the best turn at Acton ! However,I do feel that you have tried to include too much which has resulted in this very late appearance and also the paucity of scenery.If it is released as OR only,then I will not be able to use it as I really do not like OR.I cannot get it to work properly and hate the (lack) of views as opposed to MSTS with Bin.I should also like to see a modern version with modern signalling;but beggars cannot be choosers.Good luck with the project,however.

MS302

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Sat 16 Nov 2019, 3:59 pm

MS302, this is not the thread where I should be discussing OR but I strongly suggest that you get further into it. All the views (and more) are available and many features are improved and added. I see it as the future!!!

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeanddi Sat 16 Nov 2019, 7:06 pm

Hi Martin

Great screenshots of what looks to be an amazing route, with some excellent stock.

I would be very happy with a beta version suitable for Open Rails, particularly if some activities could be included.

Thanks
Mike

mikeanddi

Back to top Go down

Post  MS302 Sat 16 Nov 2019, 7:36 pm

At the age of 72 and with the way some things are in my life,there is not much of a future for me.

MS302

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Sat 16 Nov 2019, 7:43 pm

MS302 wrote:At the age of 72 and with the way some things are in my life,there is not much of a future for me.

Don't give up. I'm 74.

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  MS302 Sat 16 Nov 2019, 7:54 pm

Thanks,David.With respect,you have no idea what is happening to me,have recently twice nearly pushed the engine stop.

MS302

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Sat 16 Nov 2019, 8:18 pm

I too am looking forward to this route. It is one of the big gaps (apart from most of Wales!). I agree, upload it now and keep working on it at your leisure. (or could you recruit a tram to work on different bits?)
And OR is fine. I only OR now, with such improved graphics etc.
And I am also 72!
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Sat 16 Nov 2019, 9:35 pm

We are really a group of old timers! The youngest posting seems to be Stephen at 68!

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  docmartin Sat 16 Nov 2019, 10:36 pm

Thank you all very much for your comments.  It seems that the "ayes" have it.  Give me until early next year to finish off the stations and then I will explore what is involved in uploading the route.

As regards OR versus MSTS, I don't think it has to be an either/or choice.  I happily run activities on the route in both simulations.  If I do include a number of OR-specific features it is my understanding that the route will still work in MSTS only the OR features simply won't appear.  For example, if I have locomotives showing more than one freight anim  in OR only the first of these will appear in MSTS; likewise with multiple carspawners.  The only real difficulty as I see it will occur with items of stock which work in OR but crash MSTS.  I have built models of LT Standard Stock and F stock for use in the route but unfortunately MSTS objects to them whereas OR does not.  So I think the route can be uploaded as for OR with, as I said before, a note that it will work in MSTS but without displaying the OR-specific features.  Activities can be labelled as being for either sim or for OR only.  So I don't think MS302 need worry to much about the need to become familiar with OR.  I am only just beginning to explore it myself and propose to continue familiarizing myself with it and working on the route until I join the great trainsim in the sky.

M302 wrote:I do feel you have tried to include too much
Guilty as charged!  I found it very difficult to refrain from adding just one more line... I had to give up the idea of pushing the trackwork on from Old Oak to Paddington, joining up the stubs at Southall, Maidenhead and Didcot, extending the Hounslow branch of the Piccadilly line and adding the Bicester Military Railway  Laughing   I chose to focus the route on the Chiltern line because 40-odd years ago I lived in Bicester and used to commute to Marylebone.  In addition, I am something of a fan of London Transport; hence the appearance of the relevant underground lines in the route.  And then I remember as a teenager taking a trip to Rickmansworth specifically to watch the changeover of motive power on a Metropolitan line service, so I had to add some of the Metropolitan line.  Having done that, it seemed sensible to extend northwards to Woodford Halse so that activities could be written for my route and the Woodhead route, allowing for running between Marylebone and Manchester.  I was also inspired by such extensive routes as Thames-Mersey, Dorset Coast and Thames-Trent.

What I hadn't anticipated when first starting on route building was the great number of custom models that would be needed.  I had envisaged using largely stock models but quickly found that, having been at considerable pains to make the trackwork and signalling as authentic as possible for the period, the route needed custom buildings, vehicles and other items to give it a satisfyingly realistic appearance.  This as much as anything else has caused the delay in reaching this point of development.

I'm working on Ealing Broadway station at the moment so it's back to the virtual grindstone for the moment.  You will hear from me again when the time for upload is closer.
docmartin
docmartin

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Sun 17 Nov 2019, 11:20 am

Hi Martin,

Living as I do within part of the area covered by the Bicester Military Railway I was looking forward to driving on it. I can quite understand you not including it as it would have added a further 40 miles or so of track plus all the specific buildings. Even at this late stage would it be possible to include the junction by Bicester Town ( as it used to be called and still should be - the name Bicester Village is only of use to the vast hordes who visit the Shopping Outlet Centre ) and a short spur into the Railway so that it could be included at a later date without affecting the main TDB?

I think that the highlight of the traffic seen on the railway during my 30 odd years of living here was the visit of a Railtour when the train was double headed by two Diesel shunters plus a brakevan at the rear!!!

Regards,

Stephen

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  docmartin Sun 17 Nov 2019, 1:25 pm

Stephen wrote:would it be possible to include the junction by Bicester Town ... and a short spur into the Railway

Already done!
docmartin
docmartin

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Sun 17 Nov 2019, 1:36 pm

Thank you 🙂

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  stlsf4003 Mon 18 Nov 2019, 4:07 am

Since i don't know a whole lot about the railways of the UK and how they were run at this time, I've got to ask.

Realistically speaking, what regions would be seen operating over this line at the time the route is set?

stlsf4003

Back to top Go down

Post  Scampispeedway Mon 18 Nov 2019, 6:19 pm

Hi stlsf4003, just click on the route map in a previous posting and you will get an idea where the route went, Google search using the Chiltern Railway tells you it went
from London Marylebone Station through Warwick in Warwickshire and ended up in Birmingham Moor Street station in the Midlands.
There were spurs off to Oxford via Bicester and another to Stratford upon Avon as well as other lines you will see from the map.

Bob

Last edited by Scampispeedway on Tue 19 Nov 2019, 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scampispeedway
Scampispeedway

Back to top Go down

Post  stlsf4003 Mon 18 Nov 2019, 10:17 pm

Howdy speedway! I've got a fairly good idea of where the line runs So i'm good on that front. Smile

I was just wondering what kind of locomotives and rolling stock we'ed see on this route in terms of the four regions of BR at the time.

In other worlds. Would it be too out of place to see Peppercorn A2's or a Coronation running this line alongside the western region and LT regulars?

stlsf4003

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Mon 18 Nov 2019, 10:24 pm

Hi Martin.
Please add me belatedly to the list of Ayes.
I have rather a large collection of BR Western Region Steam and Diesel Hydraulic Loco's with nowhere to run them.
Looking at the more recent screenshots This looks as good as Danny Gilbert's South east route, really looking forward to seeing it up and running, also interested
in the Didcot Oxford Heyford section as I had Guards route Knowledge from 1974 to 1975.
The Inter regional's you refer to were worked to and from Oxford by Bournemouth crews Motive power was Lord Nelsons or light Bullied Pacifics.
Cheers
Andy

Andy Moody (AKA AJ52MDY on the UKTS site) West Moors, Dorset on the "Old Road" closed September 1964

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Mon 18 Nov 2019, 10:30 pm

stlsf4003 wrote:Howdy speedway! I've got a fairly good idea of where the line runs So i'm good on that front. Smile

I was just wondering what kind of locomotives and rolling stock we'ed see on this route in terms of the four regions of BR at the time.

In other worlds. Would it be too out of place to see Peppercorn A2's or a Coronation running this line alongside the western region and LT regulars?

I am afraid not A2's or Coronations but certainly B1's V2's Jubilees and Black fives.

Of course there is nothing to stop you changing your player engine.....................

Cheers
Andy

Andy Moody (AKA AJ52MDY on the UKTS site) West Moors, Dorset on the "Old Road" closed September 1964

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Mon 18 Nov 2019, 10:30 pm

stlsf4003 wrote:Howdy speedway! I've got a fairly good idea of where the line runs So i'm good on that front. Smile

I am afraid not A2's or Coronations but certainly B1's V2's Jubilees and Black fives.

Of course there is nothing to stop you changing your player engine.....................

Cheers
Andy

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  docmartin Fri 21 Feb 2020, 9:07 pm

After the straw poll I took which concluded I should release the Chiltern route even though it is not fully sceneried I have been working to get it ready for distribution and  hope to be able to release a beta version within a month or two.

The route is intended primarily for Open Rails but I am posting in this forum because this is where the relevant thread began. There are a number of reasons for opting for Open Rails.  First, the frame rates obtained in Open Rails are far superior to those in MSTS. Second, in MSTS in some areas signals do not light up as they should whereas they do in OR.  Third, I have taken advantage of several facilities offered by OR that are not available in MSTS.  These include automatic track sounds, working turntables, multiple carspawners and multiple freight anims for some of the locomotives included in one of the stock packs which accompany the route as well as a couple of original models of stock I have built specially for the route which work only in OR.  However, the route should work in MSTS though without the OR-specific features.

Many people have helped over the years to solve the various problems that inevitably have cropped up during the building of the route. Everyone to whom I am indebted is listed in the credits file that accompanies the route.  A particular vote of thanks goes to Richard Stevenson and David Forrest.  Richard has shown his usual skill in writing the activities that accompany the route while David has helped enormously in preparing the route for distribution.

I am sure many issues remain in the route which will require attention.  I would be grateful, once the route is uploaded, if any problems could be reported to me by PM so that they can be addressed.

Watch this space!

DocMartin
docmartin
docmartin

Back to top Go down

Post  j3801 Mon 27 Apr 2020, 4:16 am

Hello Everyone,

I am pleased to announce that the TSSH file hosting site is now home to Martin Phillips (DocMartin) The Chilterns route. These are the same 11 files that are currently also hosted on UKTS.

They are available now through the TSSH Download site: https://tsshonline.weebly.com/

Regards,
Justin

The Chilterns Sig10
j3801
j3801
Admin

https://tsforum.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  j3801 Mon 11 May 2020, 10:57 am

Hello Everyone,

Martin has kindly provided the update patch for the The Chilterns route to be hosted on the TSSH file hosting site.

It is available now through the TSSH Download site: https://tsshonline.weebly.com/

Regards,
Justin

The Chilterns Sig10
j3801
j3801
Admin

https://tsforum.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Movingmillion Sat 27 Jun 2020, 12:12 am

I seem to have a problem with the MSTS way of installation where it crashes on the loading screen when starting the game without any progress. It does not crash when it is not installed, which is a bit odd. I'm not sure why installing a route and trains would do this.

Movingmillion

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Sat 27 Jun 2020, 1:15 am

Movingmillion, can you please detail what you already have installed, and exactly what you are trying to do when this problem occurs.  Do you receive any error message?

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  Movingmillion Sat 27 Jun 2020, 11:34 am

It is a clean installation of MSTS other than the Chiltern route, I click to start it, it goes to the Microsoft logo, then to the first loading screen. It doesn't get any progress on the loading screen, and then the program just closes itself. It doesn't show any errors before or after

Movingmillion

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Sat 27 Jun 2020, 12:31 pm

Movingmillion wrote:It is a clean installation of MSTS other than the Chiltern route, I click to start it, it goes to the Microsoft logo, then to the first loading screen. It doesn't get any progress on the loading screen, and then the program just closes itself. It doesn't show any errors before or after

From what you state I still do not understand your problem.

1. Have you installed the eleven (or ten) files of the Chiltern route?
2. What folder did you install these to?
3. Did this run satisfactorily?  If so, was this on MSTS or Open Rails?
4. Did you then install Patch #1 to overwrite the previously installed files?
5. If so, did you get any error messages when you did this?
6. After this, when you run MSTS or Open Rails (which?), in detail, what happened?

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sat 27 Jun 2020, 12:35 pm

Hi Chaps,
Like Movingmillion, I have just installed this route into a new default MSTS installation.  I've also applied Patch 1 but not the signal script amendment (as that seemed to refer to OR only)'

MSTS completes its "Generating Terrain Buffers" successfully, but about halfway through the "Setting up the simulation", it crashes to the Desktop without any messages.

Cheers,
Ged

Keep Safe!!

EDIT:  Sorry, but our posts crossed, David!  My answers to the questions you put to Movingmillion :
1. 11 files including DOCUMENTS
2. T:\MSTS\Train Simulator
3. The installation ran without any problem - MSTS
4. Yes
5. No messages, except those regarding overwriting files.
6. See my main post!  (The route runs OK in Open Rails from the same installation)

Last edited by slipperman12 on Sat 27 Jun 2020, 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Sat 27 Jun 2020, 12:45 pm

slipperman12 wrote:Hi Chaps,
Like Movingmillion, I have just installed this route into a new default MSTS installation.  I've also applied Patch 1 but not the signal script amendment (as that seemed to refer to OR only)'

MSTS completes its "Generating Terrain Buffers" successfully, but about halfway through the "Setting up the simulation", it crashes to the Desktop without any messages.

Cheers,
Ged

Keep Safe!!

Ged, can you try running it in Open Rails as it is now and tell us what happens?

The signal script amendment will have a beneficial effect on signal display in both sims. Make sure you use the latest version.

David

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sat 27 Jun 2020, 12:52 pm

Hi David,
I made a small mod to my last post, which, I think, answers your question re Open Rails.

I have applied the new sigcfg.dat file, but it doesn't help with loading MSTS.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Sat 27 Jun 2020, 12:58 pm

Ged, can you please email me you OpenRailsLog.txt file you received after the OR run you made.

The signal patch will not effect Movingmillion problem in any way.

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sat 27 Jun 2020, 1:10 pm

Hi David,
Email sent!

There was a consist problem, which I circumvented!!

Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Sat 27 Jun 2020, 1:17 pm

slipperman12 wrote:Hi David,
Email sent!

There was a consist problem, which I circumvented!!

Ged

Please explain the consist problem.

I have received your log file. Did OR run with no problems?

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sat 27 Jun 2020, 5:05 pm

Hi David,
I didn't have the stock for consist RS_L1 + Set 20-34 Sbound  so I just replaced it with a Class 50.  I wasn't going to run anything at that point so just wanted to prevent the error message!!

The log I sent was after I'd fixed the consist.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Sat 27 Jun 2020, 5:44 pm

So, the route with the patch runs well in Open Rails but not in MSTS.

David
dforrest
dforrest

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next