Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Downloaded Making Tracks routes

2 posters

Go down

Downloaded Making Tracks routes Empty Downloaded Making Tracks routes

Post  Jonathan David Sun 24 Jul 2022, 10:36 pm

Having discovered that some former Making Tracks routes are available for free download at Digital Rails . com
I have downloaded SCE and had no problems.
But when I came to download Great Eastern it demanded the licence number from the packaging. I cannot see that it is available anywhere in the download.
And Irish Enterprise North has the same issue.
I then tried to download the SCE Activity Pack but it insists that I do not have SCE installed - it is on the D drive in a folder called British routes). I can see no way to change the instalaltion path.
Assuming that these downloads are legitimate, has anyone solved the problems?
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Downloaded Making Tracks routes Empty Re: Downloaded Making Tracks routes

Post  slipperman12 Sun 24 Jul 2022, 10:52 pm

Hi Jonathan,
Sorry to disappoint you, but those Making Tracks downloads are NOT legitimate.

The 'gentleman' running that site has been a thorn in the side of the Community for several years, at one time, almost causing the demise of the Elvastower site.
He does not have permission to make those MT products available.

The legitimate SCE installer added a Registry entry which the SCE Activity pack 'looks for'. It doesn't matter that you have added (not installed) the SCE route to your Drive D:.

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Mon 25 Jul 2022, 8:40 am

Thanks. They are all going then.
But I am surprised as Digital Rails also has a large number of American stock items which it seems to claim have been "submitted". And many do not seem to be available elsewhere.
Though it also talks about "sites which have closed".
There is a similar site I came across which I suspect is also dodgy but has only European items, at trainsim . netshadow . net
That one certainly has items not available anywhere else.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Mon 25 Jul 2022, 2:12 pm

Hi Jonathan,
The 'netshadow' website appears to have several items which are currently available from trainsim.com.
I don't know if it contains any stock items from commercial products, but it's certainly a good resource for European items, now that we've lost so many of the original sites.  
If you've been searching unsuccessfully for a stock item but find it on this site, so long as your conscience allows, download it!  After all, it's only for your personal use.

A couple of weeks ago, I found (legitimately!) an old French route La Bosse and since then have been trying to track down all the stock required for the activities, including from the 'Wayback Machine'. If I'd known about 'netshadow', it could well have been one of my search areas!!

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Tue 26 Jul 2022, 8:33 am

I have the La Bosse V4 route (Bourgogne Suisse). I haven't run it for some time but seem to remember that it is nice.
I therefore probably have most of the stock needed for the activities, so if there is anything you can't find I may be able to let you have a copy. I notice that there is one activity showing a load error as the locomotive is missing. I'll have to look into that.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Tue 26 Jul 2022, 2:44 pm

Hi Jonathan,
There appear to have been two 'sets' of activities for La Bosse v4.  I've been working on the 30+ supplied with the route.  There were 9 which crashed MSTS; I've solved two of them but there are 5 with broken paths, one has a placement error and one has an unknown (to me!) error.
The second set of 4 acts, which was released separately, uses a number of stock items from defunct Romanian (trainsim.ro) and Swiss  (trainsim.ch) sites.  The Wayback Machine is of absolutely no help for those two sites, not having captured the required pages.

I quite like the look of the route and it does seem to run OK in MSTS and Open Rails, but, technically, OR throws up numerous track node and signalling warnings.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down