Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speed limits

2 posters

Go down

Speed limits Empty Speed limits

Post  Jonathan David Sun 25 Jul 2021, 6:34 pm

I am trying to understand the way speed limits work in Open Rails.
I have worked out that the maximum which will be shown is dependent on the rolling stock.
Presumably the limits shown on signs beside the track are not linked to those embedded in the route, as they sometimes show differential passenger and freight train speeds.
But there seems to be no consistent link between the limits shown beside the track, the limits shown in the Track Monitor diagram of the route ahead and those actually shown opposite the word “Limit”.
I expected the two limits shown in the two parts of the Track Monitor to agree.
Most bizarre was a recent event. I was in “Explorer” mode, passed a trailing connection and entered a section with a 40mph limit shown beside the track in the Track Monitor. Fine. That also showed beside the word “Limit”. I then reversed over the connection to see where it went. I then returned to the junction. This time when I entered the section supposedly with a 40mph limit it showed as being 25 mph beside “Limit”.
And often the limit beside the track changes but the figure beside the word “Limit” does not, or changes some distance later.
The only thing which seems to be consistent is that the program uses the figure beside the word “Limit” to assess whether you are speeding.
Any thoughts?
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Speed limits Empty Re: Speed limits

Post  slipperman12 Sun 25 Jul 2021, 9:48 pm

Hi Jonathan,
I can't answer all your questions, but :
And often the limit beside the track changes but the figure beside the word “Limit” does not, or changes some distance later.
In MSTS, if the signed limit is higher than the current limit, the Track Monitor shows the higher limit as soon as the loco passes it, whereas in Open Rails, the Track Monitor will only show the higher limit after the last vehicle of the consist has passed the speed sign. I think this is more correct than the way MSTS works.

Also, I believe the actual limit for a train depends on the MaxVelocity entered in the .eng/.wag files.

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Mon 26 Jul 2021, 8:44 am

Yes, I am aware of the first point. But sometimes the change happens several miles further on when I am running a light engine. And sometimes changes occur without any notice either beside the line or in the lower part of the Track Monitor.
And I mentioned the second point in my second sentence, though I expressed differently.
It is not usually a problem as at worst one simply gets a red warning on the Track Monitor until one has braked to the new limit.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Mon 26 Jul 2021, 11:21 am

Hi Jonathan,
Sorry I wasn't of much help Sad
I hope that someone, who knows more about the ins and outs of Open Rails, will post some enlightenment for you!!

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down