Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for Blue Ray player for use with my computer.

5 posters

Go down

Looking for Blue Ray player for use with my computer. Empty Looking for Blue Ray player for use with my computer.

Post  rufuskins Mon 29 Dec 2014, 7:01 pm

I like to watch some of my DVDs on the computer. A number of my DVDs are Blu-Ray which I currently can't play on it. I am therefore thinking of either changing my internal CD/DVD drive to a Blu-Ray equivalent, or alternatively adding an external one.
Has anyone got such a device and if so can they make any recommendations?

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Looking for Blue Ray player for use with my computer. Empty Re: Looking for Blue Ray player for use with my computer.

Post  35005CP Mon 29 Dec 2014, 7:26 pm

Andy - TSSH Footplate Crew
35005CP
35005CP

http://nineelms.freeforum.me.uk/

Back to top Go down

Looking for Blue Ray player for use with my computer. Empty Re: Looking for Blue Ray player for use with my computer.

Post  35005CP Mon 29 Dec 2014, 7:33 pm

If you want to go for an External Drive then there is this Sony one about £15 cheaper; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-Optiarc-USB-2-0-External-HD-3D-Blu-Ray-Combo-RW-Player-Burner-Writer-Drive-/171537337410?pt=UK_Computing_Drives_Storage_CD_DVD_Drives_ET&hash=item27f06c0c42

Cheers

Andy

P.S - If I don't come back to you tomorrow it's because I am out on an Installation. Very Happy

35005CP
35005CP

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Mon 29 Dec 2014, 9:20 pm

Hi Andy,
It might have been a typo, "A well known make and writes as well...." but neither of the drives you provided links for, write to Blu-Ray disks Smile

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Mon 29 Dec 2014, 10:16 pm

35005CP
35005CP

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Mon 29 Dec 2014, 10:38 pm

Many thanks for the suggestions, which I shall peruse. I am not interested in writing to Blu-Ray discs; only to be able to play them though the computer.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Mon 29 Dec 2014, 10:45 pm

Are DVD/Blue-ray drives in PCs multi-region or are they region specific like most domestic players?

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

https://www.youtube.com/user/markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Mon 29 Dec 2014, 10:55 pm

Based on my experience with ASUS I was wondering about this:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-BC-12D2HT-Blu-ray-Combo-Drive/dp/B00F0SQL6O/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1419893361&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=asus+dvd#productDetails

Supplementary question! Will I need any specific software to be able to play Blu Ray discs? I currently use VLC Media Player to watch my DVDs.

Er . . . not sure about the Region question!!!!!!!!!!!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Mon 29 Dec 2014, 11:48 pm

I have just googled it, and most (including mine) are region specific, but programs such as "Aimersoft DVD Ripper" will allow you to rip any region DVD to your HD to watch on your PC (don't think it works with blu-ray though)

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  neanderthal Tue 30 Dec 2014, 8:06 am

Its much easier to recode the player to Region 0.........................http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks............worked for me,and there are Blue ray machines on the list santa but remember I'm not an expert. santa

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

https://rogers.smith1@hotmail.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Tue 30 Dec 2014, 1:23 pm

Thanks for the link Roger. OK

That site is for DVD players (not PC DVD roms) I did a search for my DVD HD player/recorder and it took me to the site I found earlier, I can set my DVD player to run multi region but you have to have a universal remote (with the magic button) to activate the code, I will probably get one as a spare remote will come in handy if the old remotes conk out. (the replacement remote for my sony telly is almost as expensive as getting a new telly  Shocked )

There are hacks for PC DVD roms but I couldn't find one for my DVD drive. Angry

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Tue 30 Dec 2014, 3:17 pm

Whilst slightly off piste so to speak the region specifications are as follows:-

Standard DVDs
Region 1: U.S., U.S. Territories, Canada, and Bermuda
Region 2: Japan, Europe, South Africa, and the Middle East, including Egypt
Region 3: Southeast Asia, East Asia, including Hong Kong
Region 4: Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, South America, and the Caribbean
Region 5: Eastern Europe, Baltic States, Russia, Central and South Asia, Indian subcontinent, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia
Region 6: China

Blu-ray Discs
Region A/1: North America, Central America, South America, Japan, North Korea, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Southeast Asia
Region B/2: Europe, Greenland, French territories, Middle East, Africa, Australia and New Zealand
Region C/3: India, Nepal, Mainland China, Russia, Central and South Asia

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Tue 30 Dec 2014, 4:50 pm

rufuskins wrote:Based on my experience with ASUS I was wondering about this:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-BC-12D2HT-Blu-ray-Combo-Drive/dp/B00F0SQL6O/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1419893361&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=asus+dvd#productDetails

Supplementary question! Will I need any specific software to be able to play Blu Ray discs? I currently use VLC Media Player to watch my DVDs.

Er . . . not sure about the Region question!!!!!!!!!!!

That Drive will be fine Alec!
On another note regarding the software it comes with it's own or you can use VLC Media Player or Windows Media Player to play movies.
hope this helps!
Cheers
Andy

35005CP
35005CP

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Tue 30 Dec 2014, 6:56 pm

Thanks for the advice, and I'll see about ordering one in next week or so.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Sat 31 Jan 2015, 3:47 pm

Update on my new Blu Ray Drive - ASUS BC-12D2HT. It's now installed in the computer along with the change from 4GB RAM to 8GB RAM. It plays normal DVDs but I can't get it to play my Blu Ray discs Shocked Shocked Shocked , which seems a little ironic or something.
I have scoured the net and based on information there I have pasted into the system the recommended files necessary to allow VLC, which is my current DVD player, to read and play Blu Ray discs. However it won't play them, and gives the following error messgae:-
Looking for Blue Ray player for use with my computer. Vlc_bd10
Any suggestions would be most gratefully welcome.
The disc that came with the drive has installed software to allow Blu Ray discs to be copied, etc.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Sat 31 Jan 2015, 4:22 pm

Mmmm . . I'm a little less confused but somewhat disappointed. It would appear that no suitable processing key is available for some or all of my Blu Ray discs. I also understand that Windows Media Player may not be able to access these discs as MS haven't paid the royalties or something like that, and the few MS responses seem to suggest that you go to third parties which obviously seems a little odd bearing in mind their attitude to the same. Now it may well be that I haven't fully understood what's going on here, but it may well be that without the above keys my Blu Ray discs will remain unreadable by my new player! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
If anyone can explain how the whole system works I would be interested to hear?

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Sat 31 Jan 2015, 4:34 pm

Hi Alec.

I'm not an expert on these matters, but have you tried a 3rd party media (Blu-ray compatible) player? these may include the missing files required to play Blu-ray disks.

Or have you contacted the manufacturer/supplier to see what they say about the problem?

Just a thought, but have you manually searched the install disk for the files?

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Sat 31 Jan 2015, 7:08 pm

The only files on the included disk relate to setting up the capability of creating Blu Ray discs, etc.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Sat 31 Jan 2015, 8:42 pm

Well it turns out that the drive can burn Blu Ray discs but can't play them, without first installing Blu Ray player software - I should have read and checked more thoroughly when going through with the purchase! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Anyway I have downloaded and installed Leawo Blu Ray Player, and lo and behold I can watch Blu Ray discs - well almost because they flag up the need to update the driver software. I went to the ASUS site and was unable to find any - Mad Mad Mad - once again my head aches scratch scratch scratch !! Independence Day did play though so . . . .

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Mon 02 Feb 2015, 11:21 am

Latest update on the blu ray saga! Independence Day only played for some 44 minutes before picture quality went to hell in a handcart! Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad
I am now convinced that I have bought the proverbial "pig in a poke"! Sad  Sad  Sad
I am seriously considering cutting my losses and reverting back to the old DVD drive, and selling this for "peanuts"! It would have been cheaper to buy ordinary replacement DVDs for my Blu Ray discs! Shocked Shocked Shocked

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down