Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rochdale Area "Route" Diorama

+2
Markh5682
rufuskins
6 posters

Go down

Rochdale Area "Route" Diorama Empty Rochdale Area "Route" Diorama

Post  rufuskins Thu 06 Nov 2014, 2:22 pm

This dinner time I downloaded Google Earth and created a *.kml file for the track in the immediate locale of Rochdale Station. I used the RGE function in "Train Simulator Editors & Tools" to create a route called Rochdale. I used Route Riter to create a *.mkr file, and then opened the route, currently called Rochdale, in "Train Simulator Editors & Tools" and after a lot of to'ing and fro'ing eventually found the markers. The selection of too many tiles made that last process longer than necessary.
I intend to revisit Google Earth and add a lot more markers, and use RGE again to create the route but using far less tiles.
I shall post progress or lack thereof here, but in the first instance this will be very experimental as I try and understand what does what and why. I'll look to use Jim Ward's "Stuffit" to create a decent sized REF file.
At this stage this will be a large diorama rather than a full blown route - I would not presume to compete with NWE V3 which covers this area in more modern times. The route/diorama will be based on Rochdale as it was in 1920. Activity on this will be slow as I still want to develop the LYR wagon fleet as well as the LYR coaching stock - perhaps even some LYR engines!

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Rochdale Area "Route" Diorama Empty Re: Rochdale Area "Route" Diorama

Post  Markh5682 Thu 06 Nov 2014, 3:32 pm

Good luck with the route Alec OK You are doing right starting small, even a small route can be a lengthy process and fascinating to do, but can also be a frustrating experience, I think you'll enjoy it though. Very Happy

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

https://www.youtube.com/user/markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  a214sli Thu 06 Nov 2014, 7:18 pm

rufuskins wrote:after a lot of to'ing and fro'ing eventually found the markers. The selection of too many tiles made that last process longer than necessary.

I tend to keep a Word file with various locations on a route e.g. Dinting   -1.97073925   53.44912720 - these can come directly from the placemarks as you place them in Google Earth - and copy & paste those values into the long and lat boxes in the camera view window in RE, then click on 'jump' to go to that place.  Clearly this is most useful if one is building a reasonably long route i.e. not having to scroll through.

a214sli

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Thu 06 Nov 2014, 9:38 pm

Hi Chaps,
As you're talking about route creation and recording positions as you go along, I thought I'd refer you to a piece of software I discovered a couple of years ago - MSTS_FlyTo. See here : http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?f=240&t=128578

Since that time, I have found that the link quoted no longer contains the software, .... but it can be obtained here : http://www.trenomania.it/trainsimulator/guideutili.asp
The readme is only in Italian, but Google Translate can be used to get the gist of it, although it is very simple to use. If required, I can post a better English version!!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Thu 06 Nov 2014, 10:14 pm

Thanks for the various tips, etc. I had forgotten about msts_scrz and have now increased the screen size. I've downloaded the FlyTo utility and will now look at that. Other than that no further work has been done. Time will be in short supply over the coming weekend so minimal work in this area.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Thu 06 Nov 2014, 11:14 pm

Sounds good Alec - Glad to hear somebody else is taking the plunge at Route Building.... I tried it a few years ago and failed at the first hurdle!! May have to give it another go... Just wish there were more help and better guidelines to starting off! I would really like to do the Midhants Railway/Watercressline. (Where I was firing on) - I have all the necessary trackwork layout to get going.

Andy - TSSH Footplate Crew
35005CP
35005CP

http://nineelms.freeforum.me.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Thu 06 Nov 2014, 11:35 pm

Andy
I tried myself sometime ago but because I didn't have any clear idea on what I wanted to create I lost interest. This time I have a plan and an end product in mind. It won't be a masterpiece but it will hopefully represent a slice of local history. It won't be particularly accurate and compromise will be the name of the game, but if looks right to me then it will be acceptable.
So far I have used a tutorial from Steam4me HERE, to set up "markers" using Google Earth and Route Riter. I used Michael Vone's "Step by Step Guide to Building Routes for MSTS" - I bought mine when it was available via Abacus - to set up the route itself, at which time I added the MKR file.
Both need revisiting and I also need to set up the REF file in order to make track, etc. available.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  steamnut44 Fri 07 Nov 2014, 11:21 am

Good luck with your route Alec. You are now entering uncharted waters, in the wonderful world of MSTS. Laughing

Geoff  
STEAM will ALWAYS be King!   It gave us our Great British railway network, which we all enjoy through simulation
Very Happy
steamnut44
steamnut44

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down