Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speed Restrictions using TSRE5 AE and OR

3 posters

Go down

Speed Restrictions using TSRE5 AE and OR Empty Speed Restrictions using TSRE5 AE and OR

Post  tonya37 Mon 18 Mar 2024, 10:00 am

Does anyone know how to specify a temporary speed limit in an activity using TSRE5 AE? This should be easy but I couldn't find any help on the subject for TSRE5 AE or for that matter in the Rich Garber manual for the MSTS AE. Defining the position and extent of the restricted area is straightforward, but there seems to be no way of specifying what the speed limit should be. I tried adding a speed restriction zone in TSRE5, which worked, using some sort of default approach speed of 40 mph and a limit speed of 25 mph. This I thought was pretty good, but what if one needed different values?

I looked through the .act file, which showed the limit extents but not the speed.

Regards

Tony

tonya37

Back to top Go down

Speed Restrictions using TSRE5 AE and OR Empty Re: Speed Restrictions using TSRE5 AE and OR

Post  eolesen Mon 18 Mar 2024, 11:39 am

If it's not already exposed let me know. There may be a property missing that I can add.

eolesen

Back to top Go down

Speed Restrictions using TSRE5 AE and OR Empty Re: Speed Restrictions using TSRE5 AE and OR

Post  tonya37 Tue 19 Mar 2024, 12:14 am

Thank you for the reply. I tried V8.003 of TSRE, and it appears not to be exposed. The image below shows what appears when the Speed Restriction object is selected. As I mentioned previously the speed restriction defaults to 25 mph, and works perfectly in OR, but it would be nice to be able to change it.

Speed Restrictions using TSRE5 AE and OR Captur11

And I'd like add my thanks to you for the work you have put in to compile and now update TSRE, it is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Tony

tonya37

Back to top Go down

Post  tonya37 Tue 19 Mar 2024, 12:47 am

UPDATE

I've found that the restricted speed limit appears in the .trk file

TempRestrictedSpeed ( 6.704)

Speed in m/s - this line gave me a temporary speed of 15 mph. Nonetheless it would be nice to make the change in TSRE.

Regards

Tony

tonya37

Back to top Go down

Post  eolesen Tue 19 Mar 2024, 1:37 am

tonya37 wrote:Nonetheless it would be nice to make the change in TSRE.

You can. Go to the Route -> Edit Route Settings or Alt-R->D

From there, you can enter the restricted speed in Km/hr instead of having to do the math from m/s

tonya37 wrote:And I'd like add my thanks to you for the work you have put in to compile and now update TSRE, it is greatly appreciated.

Glad to do it, since the ORTS team hasn't quite made it a priority to develop an official one.

eolesen

Back to top Go down

Post  tonya37 Tue 19 Mar 2024, 6:07 am

Well, that works a treat. It also explains why I couldn't find it - I assumed that it would be possible to set a restricted speed for each restricted zone, but it seems that there is just one for the entire route, which means that setting it becomes the responsibility of the route designer, not the activity designer.

Eric, thank you for your help.

Regards

Tony

tonya37

Back to top Go down

Post  eolesen Wed 20 Mar 2024, 4:27 am

I still like the idea of a setting other than the default... I'll add that to the backlog to look at.

eolesen

Back to top Go down

Post  neanderthal Thu 21 Mar 2024, 10:25 am

So I am following this post with great interest (though not understanding any of it really). But it leads me to ask whether or not it is possible to remove a "Restricted Speed" area completely, thus allowing Line speed through that section,I hope that makes sense !

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

https://rogers.smith1@hotmail.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  tonya37 Fri 22 Mar 2024, 1:38 am

Hi Roger

Yes it is possible, but only from the Activity Editor (in MSTS or TSRE) as far as I know. Referring to the picture in my previous post, which is the latest version TSRE V8.003, the restricted zone is represented by the pink pyramid on its side. This is one end of the zone. The pyramid points to the other end of the zone, and is joined to it by a pink line. To find the zone in the first place, it can be selected from the drop down list, and then arrived at by clicking on the "Jump" button. Then press "E" button on the keyboard to enter editing mode, and click on the pink pyramid to select it. Click on the "Delete" button and the speed zone will disappear. To do this you need to open the route in TSRE and start the Activity Editor by pressing the "F4" key on the keyboard. You then load the activity from the drop down box at the top right hand of the Editor Window. You can safely have a go at it yourself, when you have finished close the editor *without* saving.

Another method is to delete the code from the .act file. The highlighted area is what needs to be deleted:
Speed Restrictions using TSRE5 AE and OR Captur10

I haven't tried this but I think it would work. You could try it too, as long as you backup the .act file first.

You can see the speed limit referenced above in red in the screenshot below where the train is approaching the 25 mph limit.
Speed Restrictions using TSRE5 AE and OR Captur12

If you need more details, just shout out Very Happy

Regards

Tony

tonya37

Back to top Go down

Post  neanderthal Fri 22 Mar 2024, 6:50 pm

Thanks for that Tony; I'll take a look see through the Act files, but the "speed restriction" is on every act that uses that part of the Route I think. Roger.

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

https://rogers.smith1@hotmail.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  tonya37 Sat 23 Mar 2024, 7:23 am

Hi Roger

Yes the speed restriction applies to *all* activities in the route. I guess having a speed for each speed restriction zone was too hard for MSTS, however Eric will have a look at this (see Eric's post in this thread) in his resuscitated version of the editor. But I'm sure he has a wishlist as long as my arm, so I would not expect this to happen soon, especially as this is more of a "nice to have" and relatively unimportant feature.

By the way you can run straight through a restricted zone at route speed if you wish - but assuming you don't come off the rails and kill yourself, you can expect to be on the guv'nor's carpet the nest morning Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Regards

Tony

tonya37

neanderthal likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down