Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIOS Setup for Windows 10 Laptop

2 posters

Go down

BIOS  Setup for Windows 10 Laptop Empty BIOS Setup for Windows 10 Laptop

Post  pcohen Wed 06 Mar 2024, 9:32 am

Good Morning everybody.
After a Laptop Failure recently I am trying to reinstall windows 10.

However,  my Laptop has an fn Key to access the Fkey functions and I cannot work out how to  access the BIOS startup menu.

Have tried various combinations of the fn Key and the F Key  but having no luck at all.

Any help with this please?

Many thanks.

Paul.

pcohen

Back to top Go down

BIOS  Setup for Windows 10 Laptop Empty Re: BIOS Setup for Windows 10 Laptop

Post  slipperman12 Wed 06 Mar 2024, 10:51 am

Hi Paul,
Usually, you can only access the BIOS setup during start up, therefore you only have a very short time to press the appropriate key!  I don't believe, at that stage in the startup, that you need to press the Fn key.

Does the manual indicate which key should be pressed to get the BIOS setup screen?

May I ask, Why do you want to use the BIOS setup?

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  pcohen Wed 06 Mar 2024, 10:59 am

slipperman12 wrote:Hi Paul,
Usually, you can only access the BIOS setup during start up, therefore you only have a very short time to press the appropriate key!  I don't believe, at that stage in the startup, that you need to press the Fn key.

Does the manual indicate which key should be pressed to get the BIOS setup screen?

May I ask, Why do you want to use the BIOS setup?

Cheers,
Ged

Hi Ged, thanks for reply.

Trying to Install a fresh copy of Windows 10.

Thanks

Paul.

pcohen

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Wed 06 Mar 2024, 12:54 pm

Hi Paul,
With respect, why would you want to access the BIOS to install (?re-install) Windows?

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  pcohen Wed 06 Mar 2024, 2:15 pm

With respect, why would you want to access the BIOS to install (?re-install) Windows?

Cheers,
Ged

I don't wish to look completely stupid here but I thought the Idea of Installing using the BIOS Setup was to Install a fresh Windows 10 straight from the CD/DVD/Memory stick/External hard drive so you had the option of removing or keeping various files.

Thanks

Paul.

pcohen

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Wed 06 Mar 2024, 3:32 pm

Hi Paul
I thought the Idea of Installing using the BIOS Setup was to Install a fresh Windows 10 straight from the CD/DVD/Memory stick/External hard drive so you had the option of removing or keeping various files.
I may be completely wrong here, but I've NEVER had to install Windows (and I done a few!!) in that way.

The option of keeping existing files, or not, is selected within the Windows setup routine.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  pcohen Thu 07 Mar 2024, 7:07 am

slipperman12 wrote:Hi Paul
I thought the Idea of Installing using the BIOS Setup was to Install a fresh Windows 10 straight from the CD/DVD/Memory stick/External hard drive so you had the option of removing or keeping various files.
I may be completely wrong here, but I've NEVER had to install Windows (and I done a few!!) in that way.

The option of keeping existing files, or not, is selected within the Windows setup routine.

Cheers,
Ged

Sorry Ged, I thought It had something to do with the Boot sequence options?

Thanks

Paul.

pcohen

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Thu 07 Mar 2024, 11:12 am

Hi Paul,
I thought It had something to do with the Boot sequence options
You are quite right in that respect - the boot sequence needs to give priority to the CD/DVD drive and you have to insert the disk in the drive before you started the PC. At least it did in the "old" days! I may have got it wrong, but I don't think that is necessary now.

If you're using your Windows CD/DVD, don't forget that after it's installed, you'll need to apply all the updates that have been issued since the disk was created.  
It's much better to download the latest Win10 from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10%20 - just follow the instructions.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  pcohen Thu 07 Mar 2024, 3:03 pm

I thought It had something to do with the Boot sequence options
You are quite right in that respect - the boot sequence needs to give priority to the CD/DVD drive and you have to insert the disk in the drive before you started the PC. At least it did in the "old" days! I may have got it wrong, but I don't think that is necessary now.

If you're using your Windows CD/DVD, don't forget that after it's installed, you'll need to apply all the updates that have been issued since the disk was created.  
It's much better to download the latest Win10 from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10%20 - just follow the instructions.

Cheers,
Ged

Hi Ged.

As you have probably worked out, I now have my Laptop working again.

I have also purchased a new Dongle with Windows 10 and Windows 11 on it.

However there is no way It will Install without the BIOS Install Screen because the exe. files will not open in the normal setup manner in Windows.

Found this out by Installing New Windows 10 on my Desktop Computer successfully.

My problem Is, while I can find the BIOS setup easily enough on my Main desktop Computer With the F Keys and able to Install Windows 10 from the BIOS,
The F Keys do not respond the same on my Laptop using the fn Key or the F Keys. Usually F2 or Delete.

Hope this makes a little more sense?

thanks

Paul.

pcohen

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Thu 07 Mar 2024, 3:39 pm

Hi Paul,
Have you installed Windows 10 on this laptop before using this 'dongle'?
If so, your PC should be able to boot from the dongle without any problem.
If not, do you know which key gets you the BIOS setup screen? Very often it's either F2 or Delete.   If so, start the laptop and immediately keep tapping that key rapidly while it's starting.  If it starts 'normally, then it's either the wrong key or you've missed the 'windows'!!

I understand that there's also  a way to access the BIOS screen from Windows, but I can't get it to work on my main PC!  Therefore I won't describe the procedure - somebody else may be able to help.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  pcohen Sat 09 Mar 2024, 4:58 pm

Hi Ged, thanks for all replies.

New Windows 10 now up and running thanks.

Now In the process of reinstalling a new MSTS, hopefully with better results this time!!!

Many thanks

Paul.

pcohen

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sat 09 Mar 2024, 5:43 pm

Hi Paul,
That's good news Smile
You shouldn't really have any problem installing MSTS into Windows 10 - remember three things :

1. DO NOT install into its default location - use something like C:\1MSTS
2. Set train.exe and launcher.exe to 'Run this program as administrator' from their Properties > Compatibility screen
3. Go into the GLOBAL folder and delete startup.mpg

Ideally, you should change the Desktop shortcut to point to train.exe instead of launcher.exe but don't do that until you've got the default setup working!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down