Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ferrovie Della Sila / Sila Narrow Gauge Italian Railway

4 posters

Go down

Ferrovie Della Sila   /   Sila Narrow Gauge Italian Railway Empty Ferrovie Della Sila / Sila Narrow Gauge Italian Railway

Post  neanderthal Mon 23 Oct 2023, 7:54 pm

Well after having a look through TrainSim.Com I decided why not give this little Route a try'.It's stated as upgraded to OR, so I could think of no reason not to.
It is found in the OpenRails Routs section under "Sila  Narrow Gauge Italian Railway'  (88325)      D/l  fcl1.zip
It is single track with passing loops at certain Stations, so you can expect to be held at some passing places.
Ferrovie Della Sila   /   Sila Narrow Gauge Italian Railway Open_r38
Ferrovie Della Sila   /   Sila Narrow Gauge Italian Railway Open_r36
Ferrovie Della Sila   /   Sila Narrow Gauge Italian Railway Open_r37

But all in all it runs well.
I like the working Turntables, and the small Mountain Villages (Towns) it appears to serve are well laid out.
As I said it is (as such) a Mountain Railway with gradients of 5% being normal  and between Cantanzale Sala and C. Practica you encounter a Cog Section of 15.6% (and yes the Train does go up it (just))
.Ferrovie Della Sila   /   Sila Narrow Gauge Italian Railway Open_r39

Anyway if your interested in some thing a little different this could well be for you.
I certainly hope I have cleared up the confusion I have caused    Neanderthal...

Last edited by neanderthal on Sun 29 Oct 2023, 1:55 am; edited 2 times in total

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

https://rogers.smith1@hotmail.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Ferrovie Della Sila   /   Sila Narrow Gauge Italian Railway Empty Re: Ferrovie Della Sila / Sila Narrow Gauge Italian Railway

Post  slipperman12 Mon 23 Oct 2023, 8:47 pm

Hi Roger,
That looks interesting!  I do like narrow gauge railways Smile

However, your comment that your 'old Swiss route' wouldn't run in Open Rails peeked my interest!  Do you mind telling me which route that was as I have several Swiss routes in my archives.
I won't guarantee to solve why it won't run, but I'd like to have a look at it.

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Ferrovie Della Sila   /   Sila Narrow Gauge Italian Railway Empty Re: Ferrovie Della Sila / Sila Narrow Gauge Italian Railway

Post  neanderthal Tue 24 Oct 2023, 1:20 pm

Hello Ged, I'm sure we've had this conversation before. Its the "Bernina "I used to have it up and running (as I'm sure you will remember) but have tried many many times to re-install it to no avail,I'm not even sure that I still have the file to put it back on now. The problem appears to be that I dont have certain files it needs to copy, and as I no longer have the MSTS disc to d/l ,I assume that must be why. So please don't waste your time on looking through your files as it's most unlikely I'd  get it to work anyway. But many thanks for your interest..Neanderthal.

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Tue 24 Oct 2023, 2:06 pm

Hi Roger,
I do, in fact, have the Bernina Bahn route (the one with Carlo Santucci is a co-author)  installed.  
Obviously, I have MSTS installed, but there is a document entitled "Installing Bernina Bahn route without MSTS.pdf", which I have attached.
Some updates, specifically for Open Rails, are available.
In case you don't have the latest address link :  https://rhb-trainsim.com/BerninaBahn.html

I'll try following the instructions in that document and let you know if there are any problems.

Hmmm! Not able to attach .pdf or .zip files due, it says, to 'exceeded total storage space. (Free space : 11)' !!
I don't know where I got that document, but if you'd like to see it, please send me your email address by PM

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Tue 24 Oct 2023, 9:21 pm

Hi Roger,
I successfully followed the instructions in that document (after disabling my MSTS Registry key).
After all the required files have been installed, New Roads and XTracks must be installed, BUT BEFORE either of these is installed, I recommend that the route's tsection.dat file is backed up because it is a special version for this route only.
After both XTracks and New Roads have been installed, check that the tsection.dat file in the GLOBAL folder is still the special one.  Open it with NotePad and check that the 3rd line is _INFO ( Build 00025K ). If it is, OK, but if it isn't, copy the backup over it.

Xtracks v3.20 requires the MSTS Registry key to be present, otherwise it won't run.  Please see my post for creating a 'dummy' MSTS Registry key - https://tsforum.forumotion.net/t1665-creating-a-dummy-msts-registry-entry.
Version 3.21 of XTracks is available from trainsim.com but I don't know if it can be safely used.  That version doesn't require the MSTS Registry key to be present, BUT it DEFINITELY overwrites the special tsection.dat file!

When the route is run in Open Rails, a large number of messages are shown in the log.  The most common one is that the ACELA/SOUND folder is missing.  If you don't have access to it, there's nothing you can do.  If you still have MSTS somewhere, even though it's not installed, you may be able to extract the ACELA folder and copy it into the Bernina Pass TRAINSET folder.

Also missing from the installation's SOUND folder are clear_in.sms, clear_ex.sms, rain_in.sms, rain_ex.sms, snow_in.sms and snow_ex.sms files.
Missing from the GLOBAL\SHAPES folder are  A1tBuffer.s and A1tDblSlip10d.s files.   These are shapes for standard gauge tracks and shouldn't have a big effect on the route's use or appearance.
The above missing files are all from a default MSTS installation.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

neanderthal likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  tonya37 Thu 26 Oct 2023, 3:22 am

Hi Roger, Ged and everyone

Last year I travelled on the Bernina Express from Tirano to St Moritz, and since then I've been looking for a Bernina Route. Well, thanks Roger and Ged - I have downloaded the route from the link Ged gave, installed it, which was very simple, all that was needed was to run the installation files and that was it. The installation was created in a folder called 1msts Bernina - very convenient Very Happy . It loaded the Tirano Bernina activity without any fuss into Open Rails, and the activity seem to be working. The installation program had no problem finding my default msts installation.

It looks to be very well implemented as far as I can see (which is Tirano station only) - now looking forward to running this activity.

Roger, the Trenino della Sila looks very interesting - next on my list to try when I get time.

Regards

Tony

tonya37

Back to top Go down

Post  tonya37 Thu 26 Oct 2023, 5:34 am

Hi All

I ran the Tirano to St Moritz activity, which would only go to the first station (Campocologno) due to a signal lockup - a tram (?) coming in the opposite direction was stopped just outside the station. Probably not a problem that can't be worked around. I also tried the Bernina Express '76 which worked fine as far as I took it, which was Alp Grum. The authors have really captured the atmosphere owing I think to their attention to detail. I found that much of the route scenery was familiar and the portion passing through the town centre of Tirano was particularly well done. Just need a bit more spare time now!

Regards

Tony

tonya37

Back to top Go down

Post  neanderthal Thu 26 Oct 2023, 8:01 am

Hello Tony, It certainly is a lovely Route, and has stood the Test of Time well...Neanderthal.

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Thu 26 Oct 2023, 9:33 am

HI Tony,
If you are using Open Rails, did you run the OR version of the Tirano to St Moritz activity ?

I've just run it to, and through,  Campocologno.  There's no sign of any other train on the track!

Cheers,
Ged

EDIT :  I've just answered my own question.
If you run the MSTS version using Autopilot, or 'manually', there is a stand-off at Campocologno with another train.
Using the OR version, the Player uses a different platform and, when running Autopilot, the other train is seen coming down the track and entering the station.
My original test was with the OR version, but 'manually' running the train with the result it was about 4 minutes late arriving at Campocologno and only saw the other train already in the station.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  neanderthal Thu 26 Oct 2023, 10:53 am

Hello Tony, I'm pretty sure Ged has hit the nail on the the head.The MSTS version and the OR verion are very different, not least in that you start from a different Platform in Tirano in a different Train set.

As you approach Campocologno in the OR version you will pass an extra set of light,which will be on Green.
As you enter the Station there is indeed a Single Car "Tram" facing you up by the Level crossing, but he will pull forward into the Dead End Platform as you load Passengers.
Don't forget to pick up the Tank car on your left hand side as you leave the Station, add it to the rear end of your Train,couple gently,it's very close to the Buffers..
Hope that helps   Roger

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

Back to top Go down

Post  neanderthal Thu 26 Oct 2023, 6:40 pm

Thanks for that Ged it's up and running.
But a quick Question, I've had an "Emergency Brake Applied".So just how do I get it to release I've tried pressing "Back" (space) and I've tried "CTRL + Back(space) ?

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Thu 26 Oct 2023, 7:14 pm

Hi Roger,
I didn't know the answer to that, other than pressing the Backspace key!

However, from what I've just read, try switching to 'Manual' mode then back again to 'Auto' - press Ctrl + M twice.

I've just tried it by deliberately causing a SPAD - it does work, at least as far as releasing the emergency brake!!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Thu 26 Oct 2023, 9:51 pm

Yes, that seems to be the last resort method. With some locomotives the emergency brake resets automatically after a minute. Others respond to the key sequence Roger mentioned. It seems to be a bit random.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  tonya37 Fri 27 Oct 2023, 5:31 am

Hi Roger and Ged

I was running the Tirano to St Moritz route using auto in OR. It locked up before reaching the reverse point. I think I need to experiment. I was really just exploring to look at the scenery!

I think it is a brilliant piece of work.

I didn't know there are two versions, I'm not even sure which mine is (I'll investigate as soon as I get a chance).

Regards

Tony

tonya37

Back to top Go down

Post  neanderthal Fri 27 Oct 2023, 7:04 am

Thanks everyone, in my case I had to cut out a Coach which was Ok but when reversing to pick up the Coaches to continue the trip the Emergency Brake came on  a good 10 feet before I got to the Coaches. I will try the act again today bearing in mind of what may happen I will make a save just before  cutting out the Coach.

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

Back to top Go down

Ferrovie Della Sila   /   Sila Narrow Gauge Italian Railway Empty Bernina Route Query

Post  tonya37 Sat 28 Oct 2023, 11:48 am

This one is for Roger!
who said previously
As you approach Campocologno in the OR version you will pass an extra set of light,which will be on Green.
As you enter the Station there is indeed a Single Car "Tram" facing you up by the Level crossing, but he will pull forward into the Dead End Platform as you load Passengers.
Don't forget to pick up the Tank car on your left hand side as you leave the Station, add it to the rear end of your Train,couple gently,it's very close to the Buffers..

Using Open Rails, I still cannot get past Campocologno, without being devious.

Can you point out the OR version to me? I downloaded all the files and installed them in the prescribed order. Some were for OR. Is this correct? There was no clear OR version and MSTS version.

I am having trouble with the 452-Tirano St Moritz activity. On reaching Campocologno there is a red signal shown in the Track Monitor window. It is at the end of the platform on the St Moritz side12 m within the station limits. However there is no visible signal by the lineside. If I stop before reaching the signal I can load passengers but the vehicle being held outside the station (travelling in the opposite direction) does not enter the station. If I go past the red I get a SPAD, but the opposing vehicle happily enters the station into its bay. I can then do 2 Ctrl-M presses and carry on with the activity.

I wonder if perhaps I'm using the MSTS version? I don't really know how to tell.

If I clear the signal with the Tab key I can proceed without generating a SPAD, but the opposing vehicle stays in place and I simply collide with it.

I reinstalled the route to make sure I installed everything in the correct order.

I'd appreciate your wisdom and experience on this, I don't have a clue how to sort it out. But its not the end of the world so please don't spend too much time on it. I expect I'm just doing something stupid.

Regards

Tony

tonya37

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sat 28 Oct 2023, 12:56 pm

Hi Tony,
No, mate, you're not doing anything stupid - just using the activity written for MSTS!!
You need the Open Rails version of the activity -  https://rhb-trainsim.com/BerninaBahn.html

Scroll to the bottom of the page and, just above 'Extra information' is a paragraph which starts : "06-04-2020".
Click 'Download' (on the right of the paragraph) to get file :- Train Simulator Bernina_ActivitiesForORTS.zip

While you're on that page, have a look at the other updates - I suggest you download them if you don't already have them.

Further up the page are the download buttons for the route (v0.7.3) and its update (v0.7.5) and stock (v1.0) and its update (v1.2).

The following may be of help.  After you've installed the route and stock together with their updates, install the updates in the following order :
Ferrovie Della Sila   /   Sila Narrow Gauge Italian Railway Bernin10
The files names are as downloaded but the numbers are mine to indicate the sequence!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  tonya37 Sun 29 Oct 2023, 2:34 am

Hi Ged

Wow! I followed your instructions and the activity worked perfectly at Campocologno (I haven't tried going any further yet). Using autopilot the "tram" rolled into its bay while I was entering the station (at the left-most platform this time). There is a big improvement to the scenery and the rolling stock too. I notice the train left from Track 2 (Binario 2), which was the departure platform when I travelled on the train last year, and not Track 3.I say track 2 because track 1 doesn't have a platform.

Many thanks Ged I had a real thorn in my side about this.

Regards

Tony

PS this version is really convincing.

Last edited by tonya37 on Sun 29 Oct 2023, 3:43 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrected mistake)

tonya37

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sun 29 Oct 2023, 11:04 am

Hi Tony,
Glad to be able to help Smile

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down