Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sms-Checker

2 posters

Go down

sms-Checker Empty sms-Checker

Post  Jonathan David Tue 22 Dec 2020, 5:03 pm

I am probably cracking up and the answer is obvious.
I have been using the utility after I had been through the batch of rolling stock files with Route Riter and cleared up all the errors that program identified It threw up 150 new errors! Some I would have expected Route Riter to find. Most are evident but one puzzles me.
It is saying that a batch of files is missing from the Sound folder, when they are there. I attach an excerpt from the report file.
The actual Sound folder it is complaining about  is too big to upload but you can get it at
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tvh82xqt25zj7cq/SOUND.zip?dl=0
What am I not seeing?
Jonathan
PS Is there an easily accessible word processing program which will show line numbers? Counting to over 500 visually is rather a chore!
Attachments
sms-Checker Attachment
Report extract.doc You don't have permission to download attachments.(26 Kb) Downloaded 2 times

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

sms-Checker Empty Re: sms-Checker

Post  slipperman12 Tue 22 Dec 2020, 6:14 pm

Hi Jonathan,
I haven't had chance to look at your files yet, but in answer to your query about a "word processing program which will show line numbers", I can thoroughly recommend the free ConText. (https://context.en.softonic.com/) I've been using it for several years!
Select the Options tab > Environment Options > Editor and click the Line Numbers box.

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Tue 22 Dec 2020, 6:27 pm

Hi Jonathan,
Well, that didn't take long! I've made a new post so that it shows up separately Smile

It looks as if the loco you're using is from UKTS_6210.
The readme asks you to copy the contents of the default Acela SOUND folder into the 26020 SOUND folder. I would suggest that you haven't done that!!

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Tue 22 Dec 2020, 9:51 pm

Not that simple I am afraid. The whole Sound folder for that loco can be got at
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tvh82xqt25zj7cq/SOUND.zip?dl=0
As far as I can see all the Acela files which are called for are there.
And a thought. Do read-only files affect the operation of the program?
I have now been using your most recent experimental version and it usually but not quite always modifies the files to remove the spurious paths to the loco folders when the files are in the global Sound folder, but not always. And it stuck before the end of the set of files. I am investigating possible reasons. The last file it did look at (but didn't change as it should have) was a read-only file.
It has taken me a long time to realise that there are a_d ... and a_e ... files in the global sound folder. They can't be called up very often.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Tue 22 Dec 2020, 10:27 pm

Hi Jonathan,
Something I missed from the report you sent,

The address of the .sms file appears to be : 26020_class_76\acelacab.sms
Which is totally incorrect! It should be in the SOUND folder which is in the 26020_class_76 folder. How did it get in there?

You say the program got stuck before getting to the end of the file. I was sure I'd solved that - if you're not using version 0.2n of sms_Checker, please download it from here :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tiKTpi4s4pdF_krAYdbfD_wUBS9ZMqPj/view?usp=sharing and check if it still gets stuck.

While checking the latest results of testing against my 'mega-installation', I came across some more 'funnies' in .sms files! I'm sure they would affect how MSTS actioned the data.
They are as follows :
(a) A ScalabiltyGroup line completely within another Group
(b) Stream lines not preceded by a Streams line
(c) Triggers entry not preceded by a Stream line

I have added checks for these situations plus, although I've not found one (yet!), I've checked that a Streams entry is preceded by a ScalabiltyGroup entry.

Due to their nature, these errors are not automatically correctable.

Additional messages are included in the display and optional report list. These are prefixed with ### to make them easily identifiable in the report file list using "Find".
No changes have been made to the readme.

Yes, Read-Only files cannot be modified - if any are found, you may well receive a System message.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Tue 22 Dec 2020, 10:39 pm

Re your first comment, you are right, though I didn't notice because the sms files are also in the sound folder. I have now deleted them and no errors are reported. I'll continue and report back.
I have downloaded version 0.2n. I thought I was using that version but perhaps not.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Tue 22 Dec 2020, 11:09 pm

Hi Jonathan,
You'll always know which version you are running because it is displayed at the top left of the screen, and on the top line of any saved reports.

I've just tested some Read-Only .sms files.  Overwrite mode doesn't change them (obviously), but, also, no error messages are displayed.  I'll be adding a check to remove any Read-Only flags from .sms files in the next version. Thanks for bringing that to my attention, although it is a pretty standard instruction to ensure that all MSTS folders are NOT Read-Only!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Wed 23 Dec 2020, 9:45 am

Thanks. There are a surprising number which are read only. Just a pain when one amends them and tries to save them, and then discovers.
I tried the version you linked to and it ran to the end.
Re that item with the sms files repeated in the main folder, I had a look through and it seems that that author always did it as there (were) are a good number of those 1500 V dc locos like that. Now fixed.
Now to go through the bracket issues gradually. And there are some errors with the common.sound files which I need to look at. One set I did deal with was in the 4cyl_generic set. Two of the sms files were calling up 3cyl_generic wav files. Presumably a "copy and paste" issue.
Anyway, have a good Christmas with no MSTS/Open Rails matters to worry about.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Wed 23 Dec 2020, 1:26 pm

Hi Jonathan,
v0.2o may be downloaded from here : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BG6WnlMbsy_Sv55oQdp_FMLyYzZc8IDL/view?usp=sharing

The only change is that all processed .sms files are made Read/Write

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Sat 01 May 2021, 11:47 am

I thought users of this site may be amused by the attached "really useful" SMS file from the Sound folder of a European route.
And is there a route anywhere without crossing.sms with unwanted scalability group lines?
Jonathan
Attachments
sms-Checker Attachment
hangos1.zip You don't have permission to download attachments.(1 Kb) Downloaded 5 times

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sat 01 May 2021, 3:49 pm

Hi Jonathan,
That file is about on a par with the .wav files specified in some European .sms files, starting with 'blablabla'!

The empty Scalabilty Group sections are included in the default MSTS installation. If they are causing problems, I'll see if I can remove the checks without affected the other validations.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Sat 01 May 2021, 4:28 pm

Yes, really useful. At least I have only come across it once. The blabla ones seem to pop up regularly in European stock.
Re crossing.sms, no worries as I have dealt with them all. Very quick. I don't know whether anyone else cares. I am trying to get my installation sound error free, and am very nearly there.
Keep safe
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Mon 03 May 2021, 6:30 pm

Hi Jonathan,
v0.22b of sms_Checker is attached, if you'd like to give it a try.
There are two amendments :
1. If a .sms file is in a folder named common* which is NOT within the TRAINSET folder, it is ignored.
2. ScalabiltyGroup entries without any data are ignored; ScalabiltyGroup entries within another are still reported.

Cheers,
Ged

EDIT : (04-10-2021) Attachment removed as it's out of date - v3.0 added

Last edited by slipperman12 on Mon 04 Oct 2021, 11:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Tue 11 May 2021, 7:48 pm

I have run it but as I have recently managed to eliminate every sound error on my installations it didn't show up anything. Just chuntered through and said no errors.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Tue 11 May 2021, 8:04 pm

Hi Jonathan,
Thanks, mate Smile

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down