Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Locomotives in the Works

+2
slipperman12
RIGFindlay
6 posters

Go down

Locomotives in the Works Empty Locomotives in the Works

Post  darwins Sun 31 Dec 2017, 6:31 pm

Happy New Year to All,

I am "rebuilding" some locos that will hopefully be released during 2018.

Firstly Martin Pope's Compound model will form the basis of a range of MR/LMS 4-4-0s.
These will include both MR and LMS Compounds with different tenders and liveries.
Locomotives in the Works 109110
MR 'Belpaire' Class 3
Locomotives in the Works 73811
Plus some of the various MR/LMS Class 2 4-4-0s
Locomotives in the Works 2p11
The 4-4-0s will be released as OR models, but those who wish will be able to make their own MSTS eng files to run them in MSTS.

The second group of locos in the workshop are LMS 6ft9in 4-6-0s based on Danny's Jubilee model.
This is a short firebox version with the original domeless boiler:
Locomotives in the Works 563511
There will be both short and long firebox versions with various tenders and liveries.
Also planned are a Royal Scot.
Locomotives in the Works 614011
...a Patriot...
Locomotives in the Works 553611
...and possibly something a little different.
Locomotives in the Works 600411

The 4-6-0s are likely to be OR only, having too many polys to be single objects in MSTS, unless anyone is keen to fiddle with them.

darwins

Back to top Go down

Locomotives in the Works Empty Locomotives in the Works

Post  RIGFindlay Sun 31 Dec 2017, 8:06 pm

Mouth watering. What treats in store! Roderic

RIGFindlay

Back to top Go down

Locomotives in the Works Empty Re: Locomotives in the Works

Post  slipperman12 Sun 31 Dec 2017, 8:21 pm

Hi Darwins,
A real treat for a Midland man, like me Smile

Looking forward to these!!

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Sun 31 Dec 2017, 11:15 pm

Mmm . . . . . what excellent looking models, and just think I was considering trying my hand at a locomotive myself, namely a "Claughton" for which I was developing dimensions from a S/H book by Toms and Essery! I'll keep that in the dark recesses of the workshop as I couldn't hope to get anywhere near such quality!

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth Mon 01 Jan 2018, 12:27 am

WOW - we have some treats in store for us this year ! Very Nice !

Brian

"Any railway that paints their locomotives such a magnificent shade of red, must be the most superior in the land" (apologies to the late David Jenkinson).
ShortNorth
ShortNorth

http://shortnorth.steam4me.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth Mon 01 Jan 2018, 1:01 am

rufuskins wrote:,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and just think I was considering trying my hand at a locomotive myself, namely a "Claughton" for which I was developing dimensions from a S/H book by Toms and Essery!

Hi Alec,

Starting off with a Claughton is a BIG ambition. Although Darwin is looking at making one and there is also the existing Edward Farms Claughtons, I would think the difficulty of making Walschaerts valve-gear would be a major put off. Although I have made a couple of NSWGR locos with Walschaerts, I try to avoid them as much as possible.

One loco we do need (for our 1920 theme routes), and is similar in size to a Claughton is the LYR Hughes 4-6-0 - maybe not the later rebuilt version, but the original un-rebuilt version - much simpler without the valve-gear and a much less curved footplate, and simpler cab sidesheets. A nice relatively easy entry to loco building - it would be nice to have two versions, one in LYR livery and one in very early LMS livery ( 5 un-rebuilt versions survived to LMS days but were gone by the end of 1926). If you do consider making one, I have a few resources that I started collecting to build one myself - I can give you all the info I have if you want it.

Then, maybe, if the un-rebuilt model is successful, then that base model could become the nucleus of a later fully rebuilt version - would be lovely in early LMS red livery with number on tender side and LMS crest on cab-side.

Food for thought !

Brian

"Any railway that paints their locomotives such a magnificent shade of red, must be the most superior in the land" (apologies to the late David Jenkinson).
ShortNorth
ShortNorth

Back to top Go down

Post  darwins Mon 01 Jan 2018, 8:33 am

I also have some material that might be useful for the LYR 4-6-0.

The Claughton I have in mind is the reboilered version - so slightly different to the existing models. I was also going to make the offer that Alec might like to take the completed model and put the old boiler on (as on Edward Farms version) to give a cut down cab version from LMS days (all the reboilered versions had reduced cab and chimney height.) Then may be make an RoD tender for it to give one of the ones sent to the Midland.

Anyway let me finish this one first. It will take longer than the rest as it will need a new set of valve gear different to the others. I may not make all the parts as some seem to remain hidden under the valences!

Darwin

darwins

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Mon 01 Jan 2018, 10:07 am

I have always put off attempting an engine but having acquired the mentioned book I thought it might be worth trying. However the LYR engine would be an alternative, and I have Barry Lane's book on LYR Locomotives.

I would therefore welcome any additional information/dimensioned sketches that would help me to create a Hughes' 4-6-0, which I'm assuming is the "1506" class.

I shall of course continue with LNWR coaches as well as re-starting LYR Coaches. I need to work on these as a means of coping with the change in my circumstances!

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth Wed 12 Sep 2018, 12:03 am

Just to keep the list of LMS locos ever expanding, one of the main gaps in the pre-grouping stock is the ex-LNWR Experiments and Prince of Wales. I was considering asking Darryn if I could repaint his, but I wanted more out of these classes, and the roundtop boiler only would not let me have those that I wanted.

So, these are coming soon !!

Locomotives in the Works Exlnwr10

ShortNorth
ShortNorth

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth Tue 25 Sep 2018, 11:05 pm

The exLNWR 4-6-0's pack is now available for download from UKTS

Brian

ShortNorth
ShortNorth

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth Fri 05 Apr 2019, 2:46 am

Following on from my recent LMS ex-LNWR 4-6-0s pack, I have now taken a couple of them and back-dated them to LNWR 1920 era to go with other LNWR 1920 stock and routes.

Locomotives in the Works Lnwr-p10

This pack contains a standard round-top boiler Prince of Wales and Experiment, along with the unique 4-cylinder Experiment 'Prospero'. There are no Belpaire boiler versions or the outside Walscharts valvegear versions, as these were a product of the LMS during 1923-1924.

They should be available for download in the next day or two.

Regards, Brian

ShortNorth
ShortNorth

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortNorth Fri 05 Apr 2019, 9:05 am

The LNWR 4-6-0's pack is now available for download from UKTS

Brian

ShortNorth
ShortNorth

Back to top Go down

Post  Welwyn22 Sun 23 Oct 2022, 2:17 am

I know it has been a few years since the last post on this topic. It would be nice to see those LMS 4-4-0s released so they can be played with on the Potteries route.

Welwyn22

https://www.youtube.com/welwyn22

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down