Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will MSTS work in a newer Windows 10 Computer?

2 posters

Go down

Will MSTS work in a newer Windows 10 Computer? Empty Will MSTS work in a newer Windows 10 Computer?

Post  glasgowworks Sun 20 Aug 2017, 2:09 pm

Hi folks

If I were to get a new computer in the near future, which would be a best computer to run MSTS?

Most new computers are Windows 10, and as far as I know, MSTS (and Direct X 8.1) no longer works on Windows 10 with AMD Graphics. There are reports of MSTS running in Windows 10 with NVIDIA graphics, but I don't know on the newer version (e.g NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB).

If the worst comes to the worst I could always keep my old computer for MSTS and other older games.

Cheers Very Happy
Alistair Cowell
glasgowworks
glasgowworks

Back to top Go down

Will MSTS work in a newer Windows 10 Computer? Empty Re: Will MSTS work in a newer Windows 10 Computer?

Post  slipperman12 Mon 21 Aug 2017, 7:22 pm

Hi Alistair,
Yes, MSTS does work under Windows 10 with an NVIDIA graphics card, although I've only had personal experience of those up to the GTX 750ti

MSTS does work with with some AMD cards (personally, I've used HD 6870 and HD 7850) together with older drivers, if the BugFix (published on trainsim.com) is used..  For the 6870, the last drivers which can be used is v15.301.1901.0 (Catalyst 16.2.1)  and for 7850 it's v16.300.2511.1003 (16.8.3).

This might not be the complete story, because recently, an Italian simmer has posted details of how to get MSTS to work with newer AMD cards/drivers.  Details are available on elvastower.com (http://www.elvastower.com/forums/index.php?/forum/192-general-feedback-was-discussion/)  My initial tests were successful, but I didn't follow it through because I'm now using an NVIDIA card on my main PC.

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Will MSTS work in a newer Windows 10 Computer? Empty Re: Will MSTS work in a newer Windows 10 Computer?

Post  glasgowworks Sun 07 Jan 2018, 12:08 am

Hi folks

I can confirm that my new laptop, a Medion Erazer, does run MSTS, but have to have installed v1.4 Patch in order to run.
My laptop has Nvidia GEForce GTX 1050 Graphics Card, and has Intel Core i5 processor.

I have only conducted basic tests. MSTS on the Medion Erazer laptop experienced slightly low frame rates, and running
in 1280x1024 screen resolution appears to be pinned to the top left position, however running in 640x480, 800x600 and
1024x768 are OK. But for running in windowed mode, it does not work.

Installing MSTS on my Medion Erazer W10 laptop does require a few lessons to be learned in order to run sucessfully.
Train Simulator 2018 and Grand Theft Auto V (OK, it's not MSTS related) works very well on my new laptop.
I may do further tests tomorrow, but it's getting late now, time for my bed...

Cheers Very Happy
Alistair Cowell
glasgowworks
glasgowworks

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down