Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

London Pullman Train Disaster:

3 posters

Go down

London Pullman Train Disaster: Empty London Pullman Train Disaster:

Post  andrew m Mon 21 Jan 2013, 9:50 pm

Rush Hour Diesel Pullman collides with Freight outside St Pancras.

Disaster struck the 1545 Nottingham Pullman express after it collided with a freight
train at Carlton Junction, just 2.1 miles short of it's destination, the incident occured at
5:21PM as a freight train from Criclewood, was crossing from the up goods line and heading
towards the North london line at Junction road junction belived to be hauled by a class 4F
Steam Locomotive.
The Driver of the Pullman train which was wrecked in the crash with around twenty box vans.
stated that he had been running under clear signals all the way from Nottingham and had kept the
train at around 80-85 MPH and had observed all lower speed limits, he saw the freight on the up goods
line south of Criclewood and after reducing his speed from 60MPH to 40MPH had just come out of the
tunnel approaching Carlton Jn under clear signals at 40MPH when suddenly the 4F belived to be
43935 crossed its bows and before he could react the collision occured.
The driver also stated that his signals were clear towards St Pancras, but the left hand signal
on the up goods line was also showing "OFF" or line clear!
Crash investigator was able to re run the activity from Bedford and keeping the Pullman train around
90-92MPH and missing the 60MPH at St Albans were able to pass Criclewood just as the freight was leaving
and were able to arrive safely at St Pancras,but confirmed that there was defently a conflicting signal
at Carlton Junction.
A further "Saved" run from Cricklewood, this time stopping with the rear power car clear of Carlton Jn
and with an St Pancras North bound express hauled by 46139 was brought to a stop on the down main,
the freight crossed over and the North Bound passenger was given clear signals and departed.
My question is, should the Pullman also have been brought to a stop.

Hello everyone,
Perhaps not the way to post my first topic on this site, but if anyone has any ideas as to what went wrong, any help very much appreciated. I have to say that otherwise it is a smashing activity.
Cheers
Andy

andrew m

Back to top Go down

London Pullman Train Disaster: Empty Re: London Pullman Train Disaster:

Post  mickrik Tue 22 Jan 2013, 7:12 am

Hi There,

I actually thought it was a historical item of news at first but realised as I was getting into it it was a simulation accident.

Well written though

I haven't got to the pullman activity yet.

Mick
mickrik
mickrik

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Tue 22 Jan 2013, 11:35 am

mickrik wrote:Hi There,

I actually thought it was a historical item of news at first but realised as I was getting into it it was a simulation accident.

Well written though

I haven't got to the pullman activity yet.

Mick
Hi Mick.
The reason I Wrote it this way was I wanted to illustrate excatly what
happened, hoping that Clive or somebody would comment on the reason it happned, Probally a MSTS signalling issue.
Also the reason I did not drive the Pullman over 90MPH was because you get a "Critical engine failure!" above 93 MPH, I belive in real life The Blue Pullmans suffered Critical engine and transmission failures on a regular basis.
Yes the twp activities are very good.
Cheers
Andy

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  casperdog Tue 22 Jan 2013, 12:35 pm

Hi Andrew,
Very good and entertaining description.
Its a signalling problem with MSTS and slip points. There is a tutorial on Steam4Me about adding extra nodes to get the signals to recognise slips properly but I just can't understand it so leave things as they are.
Usually I manipulate traffic to avoid conflicts.On that section, trains usually go into West Hampstead tunnel, never to be seen again Smile Missed it on this one.
Cheers
Clive

Thames Trent V3 :30 miles to go.
casperdog
casperdog

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew moody Wed 23 Jan 2013, 11:54 am

casperdog wrote:Hi Andrew,
Its a signalling problem with MSTS and slip points. There is a tutorial on Steam4Me about adding extra nodes to get the signals to recognise slips properly but I just can't understand it so leave things as they are.
Usually I manipulate traffic to avoid conflicts.On that section, trains usually go into West Hampstead tunnel, never to be seen again Smile Missed it on this one.
Cheers
Clive
Thanks Clive.
I suspected that it was something to do with the signalling, actually it makes the activity even more interesting, Will just have to remember to treat the approach signal at Carlton Junction as being at Danger until the rear of the freight train has passed clear.
What I really like is the Royal Scot actually whistles up as it also comes to a stop, bet the Driver and Fireman are not best pleased! Mad
Just like trhe real thing! Very Happy
Cheers
Andy

Andy Moody (AKA AJ52MDY on the UKTS site) West Moors, Dorset on the "Old Road" closed September 1964

andrew moody

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down