Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Connecting Laptop Screen to 32" Panasonic TV Screen

2 posters

Go down

Connecting Laptop Screen to 32" Panasonic TV Screen  Empty Connecting Laptop Screen to 32" Panasonic TV Screen

Post  pcohen Fri 26 Jan 2024, 8:39 pm

Not having much luck with this elsewhere, so I thought I would try this here please?

Hello everybody, I'm back after a Short absence with more questions I'm afraid. Can anybody please help with this?. I have found out that I can connect my Laptop to my Panasonic 32" wide screen TV via an HDMI Cable. results are quite spectacular given the difference in screen size.

However, and this is the problem :-When running MSTS using different additional Routes to the Default ones on my Laptop, "Currently running this Route, Dorset Coast V6"

Dorset Coast Route V.6" will normally run from start to Completion with no problem but as soon as I change to TV Screen Mode It runs for about Two or Three Minutes and the Laptop turns OFF

Having set all my Power Options to " NEVER TURN OFF" and for closing the Lid settings to "DO NOTHING" I don't understand what's going on.

I was getting a Blue Screen Message "Locking" but having unchecked the box in Settings, Lock screen but makes no difference

Any help or suggestions Please?

Thanks

Paul.

pcohen

Back to top Go down

Connecting Laptop Screen to 32" Panasonic TV Screen  Empty Re: Connecting Laptop Screen to 32" Panasonic TV Screen

Post  pcohen Sat 27 Jan 2024, 9:19 am

small Update:   I do have this running with both the TV and the  Laptop  OPEN but only lasts
a few minutes before Laptop shuts down again.

Thanks

Paul.

pcohen

Back to top Go down

Connecting Laptop Screen to 32" Panasonic TV Screen  Empty Re: Connecting Laptop Screen to 32" Panasonic TV Screen

Post  slipperman12 Sat 27 Jan 2024, 11:16 am

Good Morning, Paul,
Sorry I can't really help you with this problem, but it doesn't seem to make sense!

Does the laptop really shut down, or is it only the screen which turns off? If so, pressing any key will bring it back on again,
When the laptop "turns off" does the TV screen keep displaying the route properly or does that also switch off?

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  pcohen Sat 27 Jan 2024, 12:55 pm

Hi Ged.
Both the TV Screen and the Laptop Screen go off when Laptop Shuts down.

Thanks

Paul.

pcohen

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sat 27 Jan 2024, 2:08 pm

Hi Paul,
Thanks. In that case, it's definitely the laptop which is shutting down which would seem to indicate that you've not found the setting to prevent it doing so!
Does the same happen when you're not running MSTS - maybe just browsing the internet?

I do have an old laptop, which has an HDMI socket, but I don't, currently, have a suitable lead to connect it to my TV so can't check if mine does the same.

Checking Google, it seems to be a regular problem, but I've not found a definitive answer!  Maybe you could check yourself - something somebody reports may 'ring a bell' with you Smile

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  pcohen Sat 27 Jan 2024, 4:06 pm

Hi Ged,  small change to current Issue,

I have ben running MSFS on the TV Screen for over an Hour now,  with the Laptop Lid open.

Which means In effect am watching it Twice.

If I type "LID" In the search bar it comes up with the following Options which  I have set as:-

When I press the power button    Shut Down.

When I press the sleep button   Do nothing.

When I Close the lid  Do nothing.

If this Is my only option, guess {'ll have to put up with running Two screens.

thanks

Paul.

pcohen

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sat 27 Jan 2024, 4:20 pm

Hi Paul,
If you're running MSFS (or MSTS) on the TV, you've still got to use the laptop keyboard, haven't you?
If so, even if you set the laptop screen to turn off after a certain time, it would come back on again when you pressed any key.

Caveat : I have never used a laptop with an "external" screen (monitor or TV) so don't know if there's some additional setting to disable the laptop screen.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  pcohen Fri 23 Feb 2024, 2:19 pm

Hello everybody, thanks for your replies and suggestions.

This Is where I have got to so far with moving Laptop Screen to my TV Screen.

Laptop now tells me that I am connected to my "Panosonic 32 TV".

My System Settings for close Lid are as follows, On battery and Pluggged In settings:-

When I press the power button SHUT DOWN

When I press the sleep button SLEEP

When I close thew lid DO NOTHING

However, still getting BLUE SCREEN with "LOCKED" and Laptop Shutting Down after a few Minutes. ( Unable to use keys to Continue because Laptop has shutdown).

There must be another setting within my laptop, (that I'm not aware of) which is Locked?

Anymore help or suggestions please.

Many thanks

Paul.​

pcohen

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Fri 23 Feb 2024, 3:55 pm

Hi Paul,
I would have thought that if anyone reading this Forum actually used a laptop with an external TV or monitor, they would have posted with some advice for you!

I don't know the make of your laptop and they can all vary, but have you checked its operating manual, or on-line?

If you are running an activity, or in Explore mode, aren't you using the laptop keys to control the train?  If so, why would you want to close its the lid ?

Is there a setting to change the default display?  It sounds to me that the laptop may not be 'aware' that you're using an external display.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  pcohen Fri 23 Feb 2024, 4:54 pm

Hi Ged.

I'm not to bothered whether the Laptop lid is open or shut.

My 2 Problems at the moment are:-

Getting MSTS to run for more than Ten Minutes without locking out with a blue screen on the TV Monitor. as said MSTS will run Indefinetely on the Laptop,

When Laptop and TV AV2 setting are on, there Is nothing on the TV screen until Laptop lid is closed, then MSTS appears on the TV Screen.

AS you have said "Laptop needs to be open to use the Keyboard",

But when I open the Laptop lid, TV screeen goes blank and reappears with MSTS when lid is closed.

Hope this makes more sense?

Thanks

Paul.

pcohen

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Fri 23 Feb 2024, 5:55 pm

Hi Paul,
Yes, it does make sense, but have you been able to study the operating instructions?  Alteratively, please tell me the make and model of your laptop and I'll check on the internet.

This weekend, I'll see if I can get a suitable cable so I can test my laptop, although it may not work in the same way as yours and give us a definitive answer!

Cheers,
Ged

EDIT :  I searched the Internet for a full manual for my (very) old laptop.  I don't know much about laptops so am not aware if standard key-strokes apply, but try the following :
If your laptop has an Fn key, press it and F5 together - on mine this is the display toggle which enables selection of the internal, external or both displays.
If yours shows something other than display selection, I suggest you revert to its previous setting!

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  pcohen Sat 24 Feb 2024, 8:32 am

Good Morning. Ged

Laptop keyboard does have an fn key, but pressing It with F5 together does nothing.

Computer specs are:-

ASUS Sonic/Master.

Windows 10 64 Bit.

Please don't waste your money on a USB lead!

Thanks

Paul.

pcohen

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sat 24 Feb 2024, 11:27 am

Hi Paul,
As far as I can find out, ASUS SonicMaster is a speaker system!
What I need is the Model number and Serial number as shown on a label on the bottom of your laptop.  Also, please give any other numbers shown on the label.

It's an HDMI cable, not USB.  Anyway please don't worry about me 'wasting my money' on a lead because it's never wasted when  getting this sort of thing - I've already got one from my local computer shop (NO, NOT PC World!!)

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  pcohen Sat 24 Feb 2024, 12:47 pm

Hi Ged, sorry for wrong Info.

I think this Is what you want.

SN M4NOCV11N63416D

MODEL X712J Notebook PC

Thanks

Paul.

pcohen

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sat 24 Feb 2024, 4:07 pm

Hi Paul,
I found model X712JA so I think it may be near enough!!

Looking at the top row of keys, the 9th one from the left shows 2 small screens.  This is the toggle between two displays, BUT ONLY if a second display is connected!

If you want to see the manual on screen, this is the address : https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/X712FA/0409_E14726_X712F_B.pdf?model=X712JA

Hope this helps

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  pcohen Mon 26 Feb 2024, 6:04 pm

Hello everybody, DISASTER!!!

Hope I explain this well enough?

Now back on my MAIN DESKTOP COMPUTER, Laptop (For the Third Time this Year) Has crashed big Time.

On three occasions this Year, I have been playing either/or MSTS, Microsoft Flight simulator or Silent Hunter
"Wolves of the Pacific".

The laptop would crash to the Desktop and re-Install Windows 10 with no option to keep files or Delete Files, like it g normally does.

Last night night while attempting to solve present Forum Issues the Laptop Closed down without warning and now

won't even start up. Appears to be totally dead. Think this ones for the nearest Computer shop?

Mean while I have a new Larger Hard Drive to install Into my Computer and will then reinstall MSTS and hopefully
get better results.

Thanks

Paul.

pcohen

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Mon 26 Feb 2024, 6:31 pm

Hi Paul,
Sorry to hear your tale of woe!!

Please be aware that, unless you were running very short of disk space, changing to a larger drive won't make ANYTHING run any faster.
One caveat is that if you're replacing a mechanical drive with an SSD you could well see an improvement in performance.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  pcohen Tue 27 Feb 2024, 7:55 am

Hi Ged, thanks for reply.

Decided I won't Install New Hard Drive just Yet, Intended to use for everything that WORKS!!!

Thanks

Paul.

pcohen

Back to top Go down

Post  pcohen Thu 29 Feb 2024, 12:24 pm

Hi everybody,  not sure If I should have posted this as a new Post.

Having returned to my main Desktop Computer with Window10 and a new MSTS  installation Installed  (Laptop Caput).

I have moved the Monitor Screen onto my Panosonic 32" TV Screen.  Would seem that this Is my best result with MSTS and so far, everything Is
working fine at the moment with no apparent Issues.

However,  I must have done something wrong with the settings,  because the Desktop Monitor is Blank,  not displaying anything at all.

Is this supposed to be right please?

Thanks

Paul.

pcohen

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Thu 29 Feb 2024, 1:37 pm

Hi Paul,
What is a "Desktop Monitor"?  
Do you mean your original monitor?  
If so, have you still got it plugged into the graphics card?  
If so, can your graphics card drive two monitors concurrently?

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down