Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ged's Utility Room

+10
neanderthal
Tary5
niknak
ShortNorth
mikeanddi
slipperman12
Markh5682
aeroplanefan
StephenRWells
RIGFindlay
14 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Ged's Utility Room - Page 8 Empty Re: Ged's Utility Room

Post  slipperman12 Tue 08 Feb 2022, 8:10 pm

Hi Roger,
Sorry, mate, but I probably 'jumped the gun' a bit!!
The new version of ActivityTimesChanger will allow the start time for a selected Traffic (AI) service to be modified.  It's currently being checked out so I can't give an ETA yet.

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

neanderthal likes this post

Back to top Go down

Ged's Utility Room - Page 8 Empty ActivityTimesChanger v2.0

Post  slipperman12 Wed 16 Feb 2022, 8:42 pm

Hi All,
This utility is now available from the library.

v2 adds the facility to change the start time of a selected Traffic (AI) Service, with appropriate changes being made to any arrival and departure times contained therein.  Various cosmetic changes have also been made and a new updated readme is included.

It will also be available from the libraries at UKTS, trainsim.com and elvastower.com when approved.

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Ged's Utility Room - Page 8 Empty MSTS_Swap v2.0

Post  slipperman12 Wed 27 Apr 2022, 2:47 pm

Hi All,
I've uploaded this version to the library.

The main reason for the new version is that I needed to rewrite the program, but I took the opportunity to add a couple of, what I think are useful, enhancements  :
(a) option to add all the folders from the Open Rails Profiles list, if its Registry entry is present, and
(b) option to rerun the program in the same 'session' without needing to reload it.

One of my regular testers has been using it for a while and hasn't reported any problems.  However, I'm fully aware that everybody's PC is different, so please let me know if you have any issues.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Ged's Utility Room - Page 8 Empty MSTS_Swap v2.1

Post  slipperman12 Mon 02 May 2022, 9:26 pm

Hi All,
I apologise, but v2.0 contained a bug which has been fixed in v2.1; it's now available from the library.

As far as I've been able to ascertain, the normal operation of the program isn't affected.
The Registry entries for Activity Analysis, MSTS Track Viewer and MSTS itself saved in the MSTS_Swap_Data folder for emergency use are incorrect.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Ged's Utility Room - Page 8 Empty sigcfg_Checker

Post  slipperman12 Thu 02 Jun 2022, 7:13 pm

Hi All,
I have now uploaded a new MSTS / ORTS utility which is, mainly, intended for route builders, but may be of interest to others!

I am not a route builder but have been fortunate to have the assistance of  Martin Phillips (docmartin) in the development of this program.

It performs validation checks within a route's sigcfg.dat file and between its sigcfg.dat, sigscr.dat and .tdb files, reporting any inconsistencies between them.  No changes are made to any files.

MSTS accepts or ignores many discrepancies between the files, but Open Rails is a little more strict and reports them in its log file.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Ged's Utility Room - Page 8 Empty MSTS_Swap v3.0

Post  slipperman12 Sat 18 Jun 2022, 2:09 pm

Hi All,
MSTS_Swap v3.0 has been uploaded to the library; it will also be available from elvastower.com, trainsim.com and UKTS when approved.

This version contains enhancements suggested by two members of the Community - thanks chaps Smile

1. There are still newcomers to MSTS who aren't aware that MSTS shouldn't be installed in the location dictated by the installer so an option has been added to 'move' it to another location.  To make the utility a little more useful, it will 'move'  MSTS from any location indicated by the Registry entry to wherever the user requires.  The Registry entry and all shortcuts (Desktop and Start Menu) are amended accordingly.
For security reasons, the installation in the original location is NOT deleted; the user should manually delete the folder when satisfied that MSTS works correctly from its 'new' location.  There is NO reversal procedure.
2. By default, the list of installation folders will be shown in alphanumerical order of their names.  The user has the option to override this and specify their own preferred sequence.

As usual, please report any problems here, or by PM.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Ged's Utility Room - Page 8 Empty MSTS_ActMan

Post  slipperman12 Fri 08 Jul 2022, 11:45 am

Hi All,
MSTS_ActMan v3.8 is now available from the TSSH library and will be from the libraries at UKTS, trainsim.com and elvastower.com when approved.

The following changes are in this version :
1. Open Rails only - multi-line route name in .trk file not reported as error, but only the first 30 characters shown
2. If no activities are present for a route, the "Check all Consists" function is still available.
3. If the selected route has no .trk file, the program doesn't abort, but allows processing to continue.
4. If the "Unused Stock Folders" or the "Unused Consists" option is selected and the appropriate backup folder is present, the "Save" button is disabled.
5. If the "Files used by Selected Activity" is selected, an individual consist may be clicked when the stock folders used will be displayed.
6. Various minor cosmetic  changes and modifications to messages have been applied.

As usual, please let me know of any problems, or if you have any suggestions for enhancements Smile

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Ged's Utility Room - Page 8 Empty sms_Checker

Post  slipperman12 Sun 07 Aug 2022, 9:54 pm

Hi All,
Over the past couple of months, I have downloaded and run several European - mainly Swiss - routes.

I discovered quite a number of errors in .sms files - some that the current version of this utility doesn't check for!

It was while adding these checks that I thought the way it runs could be improved - obviously, I'm sure others will tell me whether I'm right or wrong on that!!
Gone is the "Overwrite" check box, to be replaced by a button and similarly, a button is provided to save the report.  Other than these changes, the program looks and operates in much the same way as v3.0.

Subsequent checking has shown that the previously unchecked errors, do occur in North American and other stock.

Version 4.0 is just about ready for testing, so, if you'd like to help, please let me know.  I have rewritten the readme to reflect the changes.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Ged's Utility Room - Page 8 Empty I have downloaded and run several European - mainly Swiss - routes.

Post  neanderthal Mon 08 Aug 2022, 8:52 am

Hello Ged,Could I ask where you found the Swiss Routes please,Roger.

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

https://rogers.smith1@hotmail.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Mon 08 Aug 2022, 9:30 am

I will be happy to give it a go.
One thing I discovered is that it seems to have a maximum number of files it can cope with, or it may be something else, as sometimes it produces a result saying that it has done checks but neither says there were no errors nor produces a list. Screenshot attached.
You may remember that I said previously that I had created a ridiculously large set of stock for testing. I am a bit of a squirrel when it comes to MSTS anyway, on the basis that it doesn't fill the house, and I have quite a few American routes many of which seem to need their own stock.
That's my excuse anyway.
In answer to Neadertahl, a useful site for such things is
https://www.activitysimulatorworld.net/Quelques_lignes.htm
though La Bosse which was mentioned earlier is listed under French rather than Swiss routes even though part of it is from West of Geneva to east of Montreux around Lac Leman.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Mon 08 Aug 2022, 10:58 am

Hi Roger,
As  Jonathan has mentioned, ActivitySimulatorWorld is one source, but theTrain.de also has several, as has trainsim.com.
Not forgetting Garry's Zurich v2 on UKTS!!

I tend to 'lump' Swiss, Austrian and Southern French routes together, but will look at getting a list together.
I must point out one big problem!  Many European MSTS websites have 'disappeared' which makes tracking stock down quite a task in itself!  The Web Archive (Wayback Machine) is a help in a few cases .

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Mon 08 Aug 2022, 11:20 am

Hi Jonathan,
I don't think there is a limit, as such, to the amount of data the program can handle.  It's just that the more it has to process, the longer it will take.

I have a testing installation (which is never used to actually run any stock!) where the TRAINSET folder (35.7GB) contains 9676 folders.  Within these are 5706 .sms files which take just under 2 minutes to process.  The capabilities of the individual CPU will also have a bearing on the time it takes to complete a run.  You can see that mine is now a good few 'generations' old!!

I'm always willing to correct any deficiencies so please let me know the statistics of your installation and exactly what effects you see with the program.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Mon 08 Aug 2022, 2:12 pm

10744 folders, 5018 engine files, 20367 wag files.
I hope that is enough information.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Mon 08 Aug 2022, 3:52 pm

Hi Jonathan,
Sorry, mate, but I'm not interested in .eng or .wag files because they don't contain any .sms files!!
Yours only contains about 1000 more folders than mine so I'll see if I can get up to your total!!

I have an apology to make!  When you ask Windows to repeat a task involving reading from the hard drive, it will always take less time than the first run of exactly the same task.  It's too complicated to go into here, but you probably knew that anyway!!  The result is that the first run of my test installation takes almost 3 minutes, not 2 as I previously stated.

As you have, roughly 10% more folders, it could equate to about 6300 .sms files, which should still take much less than 4 minutes for the first run of a full check.

Also, you haven't told me what effect you see, or don't see (!) when you try running it on your installation.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Mon 08 Aug 2022, 7:10 pm

Hi Jonathan,
Another apology!!
I don't know where I got the 9676 folders from! It was actually 4676!!  I've struggled to get the total just above 6000, which took 3 minutes to check 7877 .sms files.
I'm not going to be able to get to your figure of 10400 folders but if the number of .sms files were to increase proportionately, it would be about 14180, which would take between 5 and 6 minutes on my PC, if my calculations are correct!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Mon 08 Aug 2022, 8:15 pm

My version 3.0 of SMS_Checker has stopped working. Whenever I try and start it, nothing whatsoever happens. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it and the situation does not change. Any suggestions?

David
dforrest
dforrest

Location : St. Vincent and the Grenadines (and in an earlier life, Hull)

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Mon 08 Aug 2022, 11:12 pm

Hi David,
Sorry to hear that sms_Checker has stopped working, but I really can't think of any reasonable suggestions!

Are you still using the same OS?
Do other of my utilities still work OK?
Have you recently updated your anti-virus? Could it have suspected it and removed it?
If the .exe file is still present, open up its properties and set it to "Run this program as an administrator". (When installed, the box isn't ticked although it is operative). Then re-try running it from the shortcut.

I'm afraid that's all I can come up with tonight!  I'll be back on tomorrow to check if there's any progress.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  dforrest Tue 09 Aug 2022, 12:07 am

slipperman12 wrote:Hi David,
Sorry to hear that sms_Checker has stopped working, but I really can't think of any reasonable suggestions!

Are you still using the same OS?
Do other of my utilities still work OK?
Have you recently updated your anti-virus? Could it have suspected it and removed it?
If the .exe file is still present, open up its properties and set it to "Run this program as an administrator". (When installed, the box isn't ticked although it is operative). Then re-try running it from the shortcut.

I'm afraid that's all I can come up with tonight!  I'll be back on tomorrow to check if there's any progress.

Cheers,
Ged

Ged, no OS change, other utilities work, not blocked by SV. .exe still present. administrator makes no difference.

David

David
dforrest
dforrest

Location : St. Vincent and the Grenadines (and in an earlier life, Hull)

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Tue 09 Aug 2022, 8:09 am

Fortunately no problem with the SMS checker program. And it answered Ged's question as it said it had processed 5229 files in the American Routes section..
Plenty of errors to sort out!
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Thu 11 Aug 2022, 12:28 pm

Hi All,
A minor bug has been reported in this utility.  It occurs when checking the case of a .eng file name in a consist file and the name includes 'type'.  The result is this message box :
Ged's Utility Room - Page 8 Msts_a10
This error will not occur if the OpenRails box is ticked because the 'case' validation isn't performed..

Although I will always fix any bugs as soon as possible,  if you have any suggestions for new or improved functions, or. even, bugs you've not reported, I'll be pleased to consider them for inclusion in the next release Smile

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Thu 11 Aug 2022, 6:43 pm

Hi Jonathan,
Apologies for the late response but I got involved with some other bug-hunting!!

Thank you for offering  to check out the new version of sms_Checker.  I have sent you a PM with a Google Drive link to it.

I look forward to receiving your report!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Ged's Utility Room - Page 8 Empty sms_Checker v4.0

Post  slipperman12 Sat 20 Aug 2022, 1:38 pm

Hi All,
The new version has now been added into the library

The procedures for applying corrections and creating reports have been modified and a couple of extra checks have been added.  Full details are in the main readme.

@Jonathan : Sorry I haven't heard from you, but one of my other testers has been using this version successfully for about a week.  That doesn't mean that the program is guaranteed to be bug-free, but I'm sure you'll let me know if you encounter any, or have any difficulties Smile

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Sat 20 Aug 2022, 2:32 pm

I have had a good play with the sms checker and have not managed to break anything.
I note that when, as is common in American locomotives and common.sound/snd files, there is a folder called alias with the sms files in, the checker flags these up but does not check them.
No problem since as soon as one puts the sms file in a locomotive it will be checked - or as I usually do turn it into one suitable for inclusion in the common.sound/snd folder when it will then be checked anyway.
I note that version 4.0 is now available for download.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sat 20 Aug 2022, 3:06 pm

Hi Jonathan,
Thanks for your reply Smile

I'm sure you will have noticed that, since v2.5 (Sept 2021), there has been an 'alias' checkbox at the top right.  As you have observed, normally any folder with 'alias' in its name (plus a few others) is noted by the program but not checked.  If you really want to check the contents of those folders, place a tick in the checkbox, but, be warned that, mostly, the alias folders will only contain .sms files which will result in a large number of 'missing file' errors!!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Sat 20 Aug 2022, 5:26 pm

Yes, I realised that. As I much prefer to use common files by putting the address in the eng file rather than having a cabview folder for each loco, I usually take the cvf file from the alias folder and strip out the ..//..//common.cab//xxx// part, then move it to the relevant ain common cab file. Then if there is an error I only need to correct it once, rather than for each loco using that cvf file.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Mon 22 Aug 2022, 4:08 pm

Hi All,
v3.9 will be the next version of this program to be released.
I'm reasonably sure it's working as intended but, as usual, would like some other opinions!  If you're interested in giving it a try, please let me know.

The changes in this version are :
(a) Fix the bug, previously mentioned in my post of 11 August.
(b) Fix a bug which has been present since v3.5 (Nov 2020). When deleting an activity, consists used ONLY by that activity were not deleted.
(c) Change reporting system for those reports saved in the REPORTS folder.
     Each report now contains its creation date and time in its name.  This has the advantage that previous reports are not overwritten but the disadvantage that the
    user should periodically delete old/unwanted reports.
     This does NOT apply to Report 10 (Files used by selected activity) which is saved in the route's folder.
(d) For those users who only ever use Open Rails, even for traditional MSTS installations, the MSTS_only checks may be omitted by including an empty file named  
       onlyOR.txt  in the same folder as MSTS_ActMan.exe.  When used, it means that the user doesn't have to remember to set the OpenRails checkbox before every run.           The checkbox may still be unchecked/re-checked at any time, within a session.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Thu 01 Sep 2022, 5:31 pm

Hi All,
v4.0 of MSTS_ActMan is now available from the TSSH file library and from those at elvastower.com and uktrainsim.com.  When approved, it will also be available from trainsim.com.

The details are as shown in my previous post, although the version number has been uplifted to v4.0 due to the inclusion of a new function and changes in the naming of report files.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Thu 01 Sep 2022, 5:38 pm

Hi All,
v5.0 of sms_Checker is now available from the TSSH library and those at elvastower.com and uktrainsim.  When approved, it will also be available from trainsim.com.

As well as fixing a minor bug (which, probably, nobody has experienced!!) several checks of the CurvePoints section has been added.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Fri 02 Sep 2022, 2:18 pm

Hi Ged
Thank you for the SMS_Checker utility, which is an excellent addition to MSTS.
However I have an unusual result which I can't understand.
In order to illustrate this I would need to supply the SMS_Checker report and a specimen file, and perhaps this would be better by email. I'm sure I have your email address somewhere but can't yet find it. Could you please send me it via PM and I can give you copies of the above.
Thanks in advance, Alec

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Fri 02 Sep 2022, 2:45 pm

Hi Alec,
PM sent!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Ged's Utility Room - Page 8 Empty sms_Checker v5.0

Post  slipperman12 Sun 04 Sep 2022, 3:31 pm

Hi All,
I need to offer my sincere apologies to all users of sms_Checker.

V5.0 of sms_checker contains a serious bug (which was also in V4.0) so I have temporarily withdrawn it from all the libraries

Some erroneous error message are shown when checking that the number of .wav files entered is equal to the number shown against the 'File' parameter.
The result is that if 'Fix' is used to correct the non-existent errors, an error is introduced. I hope that makes sense!!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Mon 05 Sep 2022, 9:18 am

Thanks for the warning.
Noted as temporarily withdrawn on UKTS but still listed this morning as a new upload on TrainSim.com. Perhaps they need a nudge.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Mon 05 Sep 2022, 10:44 am

Hi Jonathan,
Updates to the trainsim library sometimes take a while to be actioned!
The version shown in 'new downloads' was uploaded last week. It should, very shortly, be replaced by a 'placeholder' containing an apology.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Jonathan David likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Thu 22 Sep 2022, 1:32 pm

Hi All,
sms_Checker v5.1 is now available from the TSSH, UKTS and Elvastower libraries.  trainsim.com takes a little longer!!

I suggest that any previous versions of this utility be uninstalled.

The main change has been to fix the bug which has been present since v4.0.  Several cosmetic changes have been made, primarily to the error messages in an effort to make them more  self-explanatory

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Thu 22 Sep 2022, 10:20 pm

I have downloaded version 5.1 and so far have used it on three of my MSTS set-ups. It has worked a treat and therefore once again please accept my thanks.
Mark Holding and myself took a trip on the East Lancs today and we spent a little time reminiscing on previous excursions including the occasion when we met you at Keighley Model Railway Show many years ago. We both hope that you are doing OK and continue to be impressed with your many MSTS utilities!

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Fri 23 Sep 2022, 8:55 am

Hi Alec,
Many thanks for your kind words Smile
It's a little frustrating sometimes, but I get a lot of enjoyment out of creating these utilities.  It's also very satisfying that others find them useful!

The thing is that I've got nothing 'on the boil' at the moment so if you, or any other members, have any suggestions for new utilities or enhancements to existing programs, I'd be pleased to consider them!

Yes, I remember our visit to Keighley - it was a very enjoyable day!!

I'm keeping well, thanks, and hope you and Mark are, too Smile

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Sat 01 Oct 2022, 11:40 am

You mention that you have nothing "on the boil".
If you want a real challenge, you could always write a program for Open Rails and or MSTS to use in place of the Activity editor in MSTS. I am sure you could do much better than the original.
But I won't blame you at all for not wanting to.
Jonathan
PS For Windows 10 and 11 naturally.

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sat 01 Oct 2022, 5:43 pm

Hi Jonathan,
Many thanks for the suggestion, \and I do agree that it's a much-needed add-on Smile

However, it needs someone with a knowledge of the inner depths of MSTS/Open Rails and, sorry, that's not me!!
Additionally, Open Rails is a bit of a moving target at present - yes, I know about the 'Stable' versions, but what's coming next??
At my age, I prefer the 'quiet life' !!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Ged's Utility Room - Page 8 Empty sigcfg_Checker

Post  slipperman12 Sat 03 Dec 2022, 3:13 pm

Hi All,
Version 1.1 of this utility is now available from the TSSH library and will be from UKTS, trainsim.com and elvastower,com when approved.

This is a bug-fix only and no new functions have been added.

When a script file name (at the end of the sigcfg.dat file) is entered within double quotes, an exception message is displayed and the run cannot continue. Since the bug was reported, I've only found 3 routes - all US -which caused the problem, but fully accept that there may be others, hence the need for a fix!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Ged's Utility Room - Page 8 Empty FFEDIT_Sub

Post  slipperman12 Tue 09 May 2023, 10:38 pm

Hi All,
v1.2 has been added to the library.
This version has no fundamental changes but has been released following reports of a couple of missing system files (zLib.dll and comdlg32.ocx) These are usually found in most systems, having been added when installing other programs. Obviously, it doesn't apply to every system so I have included copies of each file together with instructions for their addition into the user's system.  The program now deals with the problem posed by the missing files more tidily, showing appropriate messages.

A minor addition is that, when converting a folder of files, as well as the progress bar, the name of the file being copied is shown.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  terrycunliffe Tue 12 Sep 2023, 7:13 pm

slipperman12 wrote:Hi All,
Version 1.1 of this utility is now available from the TSSH library and will be from UKTS, trainsim.com and elvastower,com when approved.

This is a bug-fix only and no new functions have been added.

When a script file name (at the end of the sigcfg.dat file) is entered within double quotes, an exception message is displayed and the run cannot continue.  Since the bug was reported, I've only found 3 routes - all US -which caused the problem, but fully accept that there may be others, hence the need for a fix!

Cheers,
Ged
Hi Ged,
Apologies for being a little thick here, but where does this utility actually store the report file please?
Cheers
T

terrycunliffe

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Tue 12 Sep 2023, 7:34 pm

Hi Terry,
Sorry if the readme isn't clear!

It's in a folder named Sig_Checker_Reports which is inside the sigcfg_Checker installation folder.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  terrycunliffe Tue 12 Sep 2023, 7:37 pm

Hi Ged,
I actually found it thanks... but only after I checked the utility shortcut Shocked
D'OH
Cheers
T

terrycunliffe

Back to top Go down

Post  terrycunliffe Mon 18 Sep 2023, 1:59 pm

A question for Ged (mainly Smile )
I've been ploughing through my Trainset using Ged's .sms checker to search for errors. This has thrown up a few mis-matched brackets errors, and although the utility points in the direction of the error location, I find the 'culprit' difficult to pin down due to the number of bracket permutations in order to undertake a manual fix. Now, I seem to remember using a utility in the dim and distant past which actually colour codes each bracket pair, making life much simpler. I'm racking my brain for the detail, but wasn't it some form of msts plug-in for Context?

Can anyone remember the details of it?
Cheers
T

terrycunliffe

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Mon 18 Sep 2023, 3:12 pm

Hi Terry,
Yes, you can use Context to locate matching open/close brackets.
Place the cursor just to left of an open or close bracket and press Ctrl+M. You are then taken to its match, providing there is one!
See https://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/context.html for a full tutorial on ConText together with a link to its MSTS Highlighter.

I understand NotePad++ has a similar function to identify matching open and close brackets,

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  terrycunliffe Mon 18 Sep 2023, 7:44 pm

Cheers Ged OK
T

terrycunliffe

Back to top Go down

Ged's Utility Room - Page 8 Empty MSTS_ActMan v4.1

Post  slipperman12 Tue 21 Nov 2023, 2:43 pm

Hi All,
v4.1 of MSTS_ActMan is now available from my 'page' (Slipperman12) of the library
This version contains a couple of minor bug fixes and some cosmetic changes together with a modification to the 'delete activity' routine, suggested by another member. Details are shown in the main readme.

As always, if you have any problems, or suggestions for enhancements/improvements, please post here or send me a PM.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Ged's Utility Room - Page 8 Empty Dorset Coast v6

Post  slipperman12 Sun 14 Jan 2024, 10:11 am

Hi All,
The final patch for DC v6 included an 'Era Changer' which offered the option to change the station signage from the original SWT livery to later SWT or NSE livery.  An extended version of this utility to add BR Green and BR Blue liveries was uploaded by Geoffrey Swindale.  The problem is that these 'Era Changers' only work if the route is included in the default MSTS installation, as indicated by its Registry entry, which means that Mini-Route and Open Rails installations of DC v6 cannot be changed.

I think that access to its source code is necessary to modify the 'Era Changer', but my attempts to contact Dave Corfield and Geoffrey Swindale have been unsuccessful.  Therefore, an important question is - "Is anybody really interested?".
If so, does anybody know how to 'hack' into a .exe file and what changes to make.  Having said that, I feel that the changes required could not be accomplished by a simple hack!

Alternatively, I'm pretty certain that my MSTS_Swap utility could be modified to run the 'Era Changer' for any selected installation (I've already successfully completed some preliminary tests!).  The utility's 'button' screen is full so, without changing its appearance, I'd need to replace one of the buttons with one for the 'Era Changer'.  I'm considering replacing the 'Activity Changer' button as most of its functions have been replaced by my ActivityTimesChanger utility - please let me know if you have any objections or other suggestions.  An Era Changer button would only be 'live' if the selected installation name contains the word 'dorset' contains a folder named 'dorset'(case insensitive) in its ROUTES folder and at least one of the Era Changer .exe files is present on the Desktop.

Cheers,
Ged

Last edited by slipperman12 on Tue 16 Jan 2024, 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Sun 14 Jan 2024, 10:53 am

It would be useful. But a question? Are there other routes with a similar era changing facility facility which could also use your suggested mod to MSS_Swap? Or if there are do they achieve the end in different ways, needing a different approach?
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sun 14 Jan 2024, 1:10 pm

Hi Jonathan,
Thanks for your reply, mate Smile

I think the Thames-Mersey route has something similar allowing the switch to electric traction but, as far as I remember, it doesn't work in the same way as the DC version but, then again, I don't think it involves livery switching (but I could be wrong!).

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next