Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Convoi

+3
gswindale
Markh5682
35005CP
7 posters

Go down

Convoi Empty Convoi

Post  35005CP Thu 08 Aug 2013, 9:50 pm

Hi all,
Carrying on from the thread previously, I thought I would download and give Convoi a try. Maybe this might be worth putting into the HFL (Helpful Facts Links)?
First thing I notice on startup, It throws up (Various) errors. Not too many, but pointing to lines on certain files that others don't throw up elsewhere such as Conbuilder and RouteRiter and in French. I have since changed the options section to English and haven't tried it again, but seems to take longer than Conbuilder....
Secondly none of the real locos show up in the display? Everything has been done through Route Riter and all locos show as they should in Conbuilder; just not Convoi? Is there something else that needs doing, so the correct loco's and not the standard installed one shows in the display section?
Any answers etc, would be helpful... Worthy of an HFL section??...

Andy - TSSH Footplate Crew
35005CP
35005CP

http://nineelms.freeforum.me.uk/

Back to top Go down

Convoi Empty Re: Convoi

Post  Markh5682 Thu 08 Aug 2013, 10:39 pm

You can set up thumbnails for convoi to display your stock using a program called vignette which either comes with convoi or is available on the same site (can't remember which now as it's ages since I downloaded it) you must unstore everything before you run vignette.

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

https://www.youtube.com/user/markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Mon 12 Aug 2013, 5:56 pm

Hi Mark and everyone,
I downloaded Vignette and getting Runtime Error 5; Invalid Procedure Call or Argument. Any ideas? I'm running windows 7 O/S if it helps?

35005CP
35005CP

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Mon 12 Aug 2013, 7:22 pm

Do you have Java installed?

I have had it working on XP and Vista but never tried it on Win 7, but it shouldn't be too different to Vista.

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Mon 12 Aug 2013, 7:41 pm

Hi Mark,
Yes I do have Java Runtime installed. It's Version 7 Update 25 if it helps?

35005CP
35005CP

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Mon 12 Aug 2013, 8:20 pm

Haven't got windows 7 to try it on Andy.

It's a long time since I installed mine so it may need an earlier version of runtime?

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  gswindale Mon 12 Aug 2013, 8:44 pm

Hi,

I would have thought that most versions of Java should be backwards compatible.

Are you using a 64bit version of Windows? I've got both 32bit & 64bit versions of Java installed on my W7 64-bit setup - I think I needed the 64bit to get Route Riter amongst other utils to work properly a while back.

See
http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?f=273&t=115313&p=1416749&hilit=Java#p1416749

Truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
gswindale
gswindale

http://www.makingtracks-online.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Mon 12 Aug 2013, 8:48 pm

Hi Andy,

I downloaded and installed Vignette and it works ok. I'm using windows 7 and like MSTS I installed it OUTSIDE of programme files - in fact all my MSTS and it's related files are on a separate drive. The only awkward part is the installation program is in French and mine is very rusty! My Java is a fairly new version (64 bit) which works ok with Route-Riter.

Hope this helps,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  bharrison Mon 12 Aug 2013, 10:39 pm

Hi,

I tried Vignette and it went through the install but nothing is present on my machine. So my question is that maybe It doesn't work on certain windows 7 systems.

Thank You Ben  A4PSmember[b][color=#ff9933]
bharrison
bharrison

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Tue 13 Aug 2013, 8:34 am

This morning I downloaded CONVOI and VIGNETTE and installed both outside of the Programme Files area.

They both opened and appear to be working, although I haven't tried to create a consist or made a picture using Vignette. Before I try them properly I will get the trusty English-French dictionary out and translate the commands. If I can do that later today I will post again.

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Tue 13 Aug 2013, 10:51 am

Here's my best translation for "Vignettes". Having clicked on the "exe" file the following screen appears
Convoi Vignet10
and then the main screen opens looking like this
Convoi Vignet11

The above is my best effort at translation, but please note that I failed French at GCE level!

Hopefully this might help.

If anyone can add to this by giving more details of what happens when individual buttons are clicked or can correct my translation, please comment and even add screenshots then please do so. This could then be put together as a useful addition to the HFL thread.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  bharrison Tue 13 Aug 2013, 11:37 am

Hi,

Mine still won't work or even install. My convoy works fine so I'm leaving it alone.

bharrison
bharrison

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Tue 13 Aug 2013, 12:00 pm

Hi all,
I am using Windows 64 Bit and this is a screenshot of the error. I have tried downloading it again and reinstalled, but still the same error..... Shocked 
I have installed both versions of Java Runtime, so not sure why it isn't working... Same as Ben, Convoi works fine. So out of ideas.

Convoi Untitl10

35005CP
35005CP

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Tue 13 Aug 2013, 12:14 pm

Hi Andy.

Could you try and run it in 32 bit mode (is that possible?) the program has been around for quite a while so it may not like 64 bit systems.

Alec.

You can change the language from French to English in Convoi and Vignette.

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Tue 13 Aug 2013, 12:56 pm

Hi Mark,
I've just changed the compatibility mode to Windows XP SP2 and still the same problem. I am going to try installing it over on my Virtual XP Machine. (VMware Player) to see what happens. Will come back with my findings. Maybe I suspect you are right about 64 bit machines?

35005CP
35005CP

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Tue 13 Aug 2013, 1:46 pm

Hi Gentlemen,
You don't have to worry about translating Vignette buttons, etc!!
If you go to the bottom of this page, there is an option to download an English version : http://convoi.pagesperso-orange.fr/annonces/createur_vignettes.htm

I have installed Vignette, but it doesn't seem to do anything! The <Create> button is greyed out, so I've got some digging to do!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Tue 13 Aug 2013, 2:10 pm

Hi Everyone,
Okay installed it on my XP VMware Player and it installed and has run fine without the error. I can only assume it is something to do with my Windows 7 64 Bit Installation. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has the same problem and if there is a work around as well?
I even tried copying the Vignette folder from the XP Virtual Machine to Windows 7 and still the same error comes up.....

35005CP
35005CP

Back to top Go down

Post  bharrison Tue 13 Aug 2013, 4:09 pm

Hi,

I downloaded the English version and it doesn't install on W7 if you change the install path you have to quit the installation setup and the setup runs but there's nothing on the system at all hence why I've gave up my convoy works that's what matters. I think it's safe to say that vignette isn't windows 7 Compatible.

I'll be interested to hear if someone gets it to work on W7 mind.

bharrison
bharrison

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Tue 13 Aug 2013, 7:59 pm

Oh well it made a change to my normal reading material!

My Windows 7 is only 32bit and my Java is JRE7 located in Programme Files.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  gswindale Tue 13 Aug 2013, 8:57 pm

Hmm

I downloaded the French version; installed it to c:\vignette and it works fine (albeit in French) on W7 Home Premium 64 bit.

I then downloaded the English version and attempted to install it "over the top". I now have a fully working French version!

Truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
gswindale
gswindale

http://www.makingtracks-online.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Tue 24 Jun 2014, 6:54 pm

Hi All,

Last August I wrote that I had successfully installed and run Vignette using Windows7. This was set up for when I was creating activities for the SCP Route. After that I removed the Convoi specifically installed for SCP which just left the original Convoi aliased to my main MSTS. When I tried running Vignette I got all the various error messages mentioned by other users. I then gave it up as a bad job, but recently I decided to give it another go. Result, successfully installed but it won't run because it requires sfCanvas by Paul Gausden to create the thumbnails. I must have originally had it to use it last year but it seems to have been deleted. I have searched on line but can't find it anywhere, so does any one know how and where I can get another copy? I do have the latest version of Paul's Shape Viewer but that isn't any help.

Any help gratefully received,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 7:42 pm

Hi Stephen,
I believe sfCanvas is, in fact, trainlib.ocx.
When you install Vignette, it reports that a version of this file is in C:\Windows\System32.  It asks, and recommends, that you use this file - click on the "Oui" button.  trainlib.ocx is installed by Shape Viewer (v1.4 onwards).

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Tue 24 Jun 2014, 9:48 pm

Hi Ged,

You wrote "When you install Vignette, it reports that a version of this file is in C:\Windows\System32.  It asks, and recommends, that you use this file - click on the "Oui" button."

Unfortunately it didn't do any of the above, neither could I find it in C:\Windows\System32. I reinstalled just to check. Trainlib.ocx is also contained within the Vignette winzip folder and Shape viewer.

I have also tried  installing to the default C:\Program Files (x86)\  again without success.
In both cases the only way to open it is to "Run as Administrator".

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 11:05 pm

Hi Stephen,
You are quite correct in that trainlib.ocx is included in the .CAB file in the Vignette zip file.  I think it must be an earlier version than that in my System32 folder, which is the reason for the message I got.
Although I found it in the .CAB file in an early version of Shape Viewer, the later versions have a .msi installer in which you can't see all the routines added, although I'm pretty certain it must be there!
If you have installed Convoi and Vignette into either Program Files or Program Files (x86) on drive C: (as per the default), this might be the reason you're having problems (if you're using Vista, Win 7 or Win 8 ).

Cheers,
Ged

Last edited by slipperman12 on Wed 25 Jun 2014, 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Wed 25 Jun 2014, 9:09 am

Hi Ged,

Shape Viewer, Convoi, Vignette and all other MSTS Utility files are on drive F. MSTS itself is on drive G. I only installed Vignette onto default Drive C as a check to see if it made any difference.

Regards,

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Wed 02 Dec 2015, 11:45 am

Hi all,

Sorry for coming back to this. But this still isn't working on my Windows 10 Laptop running 64 bit!

I have installed Vignette away from program Files (X86) directory and I've tried it in compatibility Mode as well as Run as Administrator and still I am getting The Runtime Error 5 message.....

Any other ideas or thoughts?

Cheers

Andy

35005CP
35005CP

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Wed 02 Dec 2015, 6:55 pm

Hi Andy,
Runtime Error 5 often means that a required routine cannot be found.  

Convoi was written in Visual Basic and it's possible that you don't don't have the VB Runtimes installed.

Have a look in your Control Panel, Programs and Features list;  if they are installed, they will be towards the bottom of the list, called "VB Runtimes".

If you don't have them, they can be obtained here : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24417
This is the on-line installer, which is better to run than the off-line version because it checks and doesn't install any files you've already got!

Cheers,
Ged

EDIT : I've just checked, and Vignette (the English version!) works properly under Win 7 64-bit - VB Runtimes are installed.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Wed 02 Dec 2015, 8:56 pm

Hi Ged,

I thought this was going to work for a while..... But; unfortunately not. I installed the VB files into C:\Vignette Directory away from C:\program files (X86), but still no joy..... Twisted Evil

Cheers

Andy

35005CP
35005CP

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Wed 02 Dec 2015, 11:16 pm

Hi Andy,
No, mate!!
I think the VB files must be installed where Windows expects to find them.  Two of the key files are msvbvm60.dll and msflxgrd.ocx and mine are in the Windows\SysWow64 folder.

It might be best to check there first to make sure they really are absent! After all, that might not be the cause of your problem.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Thu 03 Dec 2015, 9:37 am

Hi Ged,

Well the files weren't in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder, but I have done it again and they are in there this time.... Vignette is still throwing up the 'Run-time error '5': Invalid procedure call or argument' error...... Evil or Very Mad

Cheers

Andy

35005CP
35005CP

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Thu 03 Dec 2015, 10:00 am

I have just installed Convoi and Vignette outside of Program Files (x86) in my main working drive. Both installed without fuss once I had correctly browsed and created the Convoi150 folder. When installing Vignette it requested that I browse to find the location of Convoi150, which I did and it installed. Both appear to be working but I haven't attempted to actually create a thumbnail of an item of stock using Vignette. Most of my own creations have a thumbnail created by Route Riter which being the devil I know I shall carry on using for this. However I shall look to use Convoi as an alternative to Conbuilder and it has already picked up some syntax errors missed by others.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Thu 03 Dec 2015, 10:15 am

rufuskins wrote:I have just installed Convoi and Vignette outside of Program Files (x86) in my main working drive. Both installed without fuss once I had correctly browsed and created the Convoi150 folder. When installing Vignette it requested that I browse to find the location of Convoi150, which I did and it installed. Both appear to be working but I haven't attempted to actually create a thumbnail of an item of stock using Vignette. Most of my own creations have a thumbnail created by Route Riter which being the devil I know I shall carry on using for this. However I shall look to use Convoi as an alternative to Conbuilder and it has already picked up some syntax errors missed by others.

I have Uninstalled and reinstalled outside of C:\Program Files (x86) into C:\Convoi and Vignette and still the same error is coming up when loading Vignette..... I wonder if this is more of an issue with Windows 10....??

Cheers

Andy

35005CP
35005CP

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Thu 03 Dec 2015, 1:26 pm

Andy
I'm still working with 64bit W7, and hence can't directly comment with respect to W10! When you say run Vignette I assume that it has installed correctly and points to the correct location of Convoi150? Does it require any tweaking of permissions - assuming that bit is still in W10? Presumably you've tried running it as administrator?
I suspect that these suggestions have all been tried, but hopefully it's not too much of a problem restating the obvious?

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Thu 03 Dec 2015, 2:00 pm

Hi Andy,
Apologies, mate - I missed the reference to Windows 10 Embarassed YES, I know it was plain enough!!

However, I've just installed Convoi and Vignette into my Win 10 partition and they both run without any problem.

msvbvm60.dll is in the SysWOW64 folder and, judging by its date, has been there since I set up Win10; file msflgrd.ocx is not present.

For it to run, I didn't have to set Vignette to run as administrator, although it isn't installed in Program Files or Program Files (x86)! I successfully created a couple of images.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Thu 03 Dec 2015, 2:23 pm

slipperman12 wrote:Hi Andy,
Apologies, mate - I missed the reference to Windows 10 Embarassed   YES, I know it was plain enough!!

However, I've just installed Convoi and Vignette into my Win 10 partition and they both run without any problem.

msvbvm60.dll is in the SysWOW64 folder and, judging by its date, has been there since I set up Win10; file msflgrd.ocx is not present.

For it to run, I didn't have to set Vignette to run as administrator, although it isn't installed in Program Files or Program Files (x86)!  I successfully created a couple of images.

Cheers,
Ged

Hi Ged,

I have just checked my SysWOW64 folder and I hve exactly the same as you present! I am at a loss then as to what mine isn't working on my Laptop and yet it is on yours...... Could it be with the amount of stock I have??

Cheers

Andy

35005CP
35005CP

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Thu 03 Dec 2015, 6:14 pm

Hi Andy,
Could it be with the amount of stock I have??
I doubt it as, I believe, the Runtime Error 5 is a Windows error.

I can't find any mention of Vignette requiring Java to be installed, but, for information, I have the 32-bit version installed in the Program Files (x86) folder.

Cheers,
Ged

EDIT : Corrected typo - Thanks Alec!!

Last edited by slipperman12 on Thu 03 Dec 2015, 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Thu 03 Dec 2015, 6:39 pm

My Java - latest version being jre1.8.0_66 - is located in Program Files (x86) and works for Route Riter after copying the Classes folder from an older version.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Thu 03 Dec 2015, 6:54 pm

I understand that it's possible that a RunTime Error 5 can be caused by a corrupted registry entry? Perhaps a registry cleaner might help? The other possibility is what I have mentioned before and that is when the function is not mapped to the correct drive?

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Thu 03 Dec 2015, 8:55 pm

Hi Ged & Alec,

I have run a Registry Repair and Cleaner on it and still the error message appears.......

Thanks for you're continuing help guys....

Cheers

Andy

35005CP
35005CP

Back to top Go down

Post  35005CP Thu 03 Dec 2015, 9:08 pm

Also, just to add that everything is on the C:\ drive of my Laptop....

35005CP
35005CP

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Thu 03 Dec 2015, 10:11 pm

Hi Andy,
I'm sorry, but I'm running out of ideas Sad

I've just removed Convoi and Vignette from my Win 10 partition and gone through the Registry removing all references to both programs. I don't think that was necessary, because Convoi doesn't use it and Vignette only uses one entry to store the path to Convoi. Installing from scratch, and NOT running the installers as admin, produced both programs working correctly. I am the administrator and UAC is in the full position. The programs are not installed on drive C: and neither program is set to run as administrator.

At one point in the installation of Vignette, a message is displayed (in French) regarding file trainlib.ocx, indicating that the version about to be installed is not more recent than the one already installed and asking if the existing file should be retained - the answer should be Yes (Oui). I've also found that Vignette doesn't need Convoi to be installed.

Can you run Convoi itself without any error being displayed?

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Thu 03 Dec 2015, 10:31 pm

Vignette doesn't produce very good thumbnails, they are very low-res pics, if you can do it  with routeriter I should do it with that. (or maybe it's convoi that displays vignette pics as low-res.)

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down