Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Invalid certificate?

4 posters

Go down

Invalid certificate? Empty Invalid certificate?

Post  rufuskins Sun 29 Jan 2017, 9:00 pm

Recently I've started to get this flagged up, and I don't understand how to address it?

Invalid certificate? Certwa10

I have also started to get it on TSSH as well as weebly. I've looked on line but still somewhat confused. I have sometimes clicked "Disconnect" and sometimes "Continue", but what i really want to do is to properly address this, and therefore would welcome any advice?

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Invalid certificate? Empty Re: Invalid certificate?

Post  terrycunliffe Mon 30 Jan 2017, 12:10 pm

Hi Alec,
I think that quantserve is Adware? (or even possibly, Malware.)

IMO, Best to get rid if it. Try removing all temporary internet files and cookies as a first step.

terrycunliffe

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Mon 30 Jan 2017, 1:25 pm

Hi Terry
I normally clear temporary internet files and cookies most evenings when shutting down using CCleaner. When going to this post I got this:-
Invalid certificate? Certwa11
I'll have a further root round!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Mon 30 Jan 2017, 1:54 pm

Changed internet question, and it would now appear that these are tracking things - possibly low threats? All I need to do now is to work out how to block these, although presumably that's what Kaspersky is doing? Malwarebytes does not flag these up as malware.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Mon 30 Jan 2017, 2:05 pm

I think that I have managed to solve this after reading some advice on the net, whereby I needed to amend the settings in Google Chrome in order to block third party cookies.

Go to Settings then Advanced Settings then Content Settings then tick Block third-party cookies and site data!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Mon 30 Jan 2017, 11:12 pm

Another one popped up so used Google Chrome Cleanup and re-added Adblock Plus extension and hopefully that might do the trick!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Tue 31 Jan 2017, 9:10 am

These invalid certificate warnings keep coming up! I'm now lost as to what to do?

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  sbowness Sat 11 Feb 2017, 4:46 am

Hi Alec

Sorry for not joining this conversation sooner.

It's a warning coming from Kaspersky. There's a bit more information about it here:

http://support.kaspersky.com/12489

It's a warning that Kaspersky thinks that there is something wrong with the site's certificate and that it could be dodgy. However, there are comments on various forums over a number of months (if not years) that Kaspersky is doing this with reputable sites like Twitch and Microsoft. It seems that it's often picking up ads that are on the site with potentially questionable certificates and there is some advice here:

https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=363799

However, I'm always reluctant to switch off components of security software on the basis of advice from a forum. What happens when you click on Disconnect. Is it stopping you from doing what you need to do?

Stephen
sbowness
sbowness

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Sat 11 Feb 2017, 10:12 am

Hi Stephen

Like you I looked at various internet items on this, and tried a number of the suggestions but none of them worked. I now click on Disconnect and it doesn't appear to have any affect on browsing. It appears to only occur on TSSH.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  Scampispeedway Sat 11 Feb 2017, 5:55 pm

Hi Alec, like you I have Kaspersky and many times I got the same message as you get and just
clicked on the Disconnect Tab to get into the site.
I've now changed my Settings to Do Not Scan Encrypted Connections and went into the Twitch
site without the usual message popping up.
So as long as I know that the site is okay, I will leave it that way but if going to a site I'm
not sure about, it is easy to put it back the way it used to be in the Settings Section.

Cheers
Bob
Scampispeedway
Scampispeedway

Back to top Go down

Post  sbowness Sat 11 Feb 2017, 6:24 pm

Scampispeedway wrote:Hi Alec, like you I have Kaspersky and many times I got the same message as you get and just
clicked on the Disconnect Tab to get into the site.
I've now changed my Settings to Do Not Scan Encrypted Connections and went into the Twitch
site without the usual message popping up.
So as long as I know that the site is okay, I will leave it that way but if going to a site I'm
not sure about, it is easy to put it back the way it used to be in the Settings Section.

Cheers
Bob

Bob, my only reservation with that is that many sites have elements that the site owners themselves have no control over. Whilst we can trust the content of TSSH because everyone is reliable and upstanding, it's hosted by a third party who may have problems (and I'm not saying that is definitely the case). The same is true of sites that carry advertising. I've not been able to find anything which can tell me that changing the encrypted connections setting is completely safe and in this day and age I'd more likely to err on the side of caution, leave it enabled, and let Kaspersky know that there could be a problem as there has been an increase in this popping up. However, it does seem to be a long-running issue for many Kaspersky users. I've never used them myself, preferring Norton for a number of years now. Somehow, trusting a Russian company to protect my PC from dodgy things on the internet doesn't seem to ring true in the current climate.

One suggestion I did find was to modify this setting:

=> Settings > Additional > Network > Encrypted connections scanning > Check "Scan encrypted connections upon request from protection components"

Also, check that you have the latest version. It's possible that they have already patched it but the auto-updated may not have picked it up.

Stephen
sbowness
sbowness

Back to top Go down

Post  Scampispeedway Sat 11 Feb 2017, 6:39 pm

Hi Stephen, I've taken your advice and put it back the way it was i.e. "Scan encrypted connections
upon request from protection components"

Cheers
Bob
Scampispeedway
Scampispeedway

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Sat 11 Feb 2017, 7:09 pm

I already had that part of the settings ticked - more by luck probably!

I installed Kaspersky as it was recommended by both Computer Active and Web User as it scored the best in their tests.

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  sbowness Sun 12 Feb 2017, 5:59 am

rufuskins wrote:I already had that part of the settings ticked - more by luck probably!

I installed Kaspersky as it was recommended by both Computer Active and Web User as it scored the best in their tests.

Hi Alec

One thing that you can rely on about security software is that it is always changing, always improving and one product that is good one month will be beaten by a different one a few months later. Kaspersky still scores at the top with trustworthy reviewers, so I don't think that there's anything to worry about. It's always worth checking the latest reviews as your subscription gets close to renewal to make sure that you're still with a good program.

Stephen
sbowness
sbowness

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down