Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MSTS - Helpful Facts and Links - Part 11 (3D Modelling)

Go down

MSTS - Helpful Facts and Links - Part 11 (3D Modelling) Empty MSTS - Helpful Facts and Links - Part 11 (3D Modelling)

Post  rufuskins Mon 18 Feb 2013, 1:57 pm

This is the eleventh in a series of posts that are meant to give a simple history of MSTS, and point people to the various elements that both maximise and enhance the performance and enjoyment of MSTS.

One of the many bonuses for MSTS is the ability to allow people to build their own virtual models. These can comprise railway related infrastructure and buildings, commercial buildings, etc. as well as railway rolling stock. Thankfully a number of programmes are available all of which probably deserve serious consideration.

In all honesty I have never used any of them in “anger” and hence can’t say whether one is better than the others. Several have free download versions that would offer the opportunity to see how you would cope.

The following programmes are probably the best known, although I believe that there are others.

They are:-
1. 3D Crafter (formerly known as 3D Canvas)
2. GMax
3. Train Sim Modeller (TSM) - available from the author's website : http://www.rundiomusic.com/SimDownloads (freeware)

Rather than repeat what has been stated before I would recommend referring to the following article in the Steam4me Tutorials.

This gives an outline of what to consider and to some extent the pros and cons. However for more detailed tutorials for each of them the following links are highly recommended:-

For 3D Crafter (3DC) try this from the Steam4me Tutorials

For GMax try this from the Steam4me Tutorials

When installing and/or amending all or any part of MSTS it is strongly recommended that you create a back-up copy, because even with the best will in the world mistakes can and will happen. There’s many a “simmer” who can testify to that.

Alec

Last edited by slipperman12 on Fri 12 Sep 2014, 8:32 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Re-release of TSM :))

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down