Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMD Graphics Drivers - Omega 14.12

3 posters

Go down

AMD Graphics Drivers - Omega 14.12 Empty AMD Graphics Drivers - Omega 14.12

Post  slipperman12 Thu 15 Jan 2015, 4:13 pm

Hi All,
Before installing this version of the AMD drivers, please be aware that the "Maintain Aspect Ratio"  part of the Catalyst Control Center configuration routine is broken!  This means that, if you're using a widescreen monitor, software which requires to be run at 4:3 (like MSTS, but includes several older games) is stretched to fill the 16:10 screen.  The old dodge of temporarily switching to a non-native resolution no longer works.  There have been several complaints on various Forums throughout the 'net.  Only one solution has been offered, other than reverting to older drivers, but I'm not certain that it works.  To this end, I'll be carrying out a few tests and will report back Smile

First there was Windows 8 / 8.1 under which MSTS won't run with AMD graphics drivers, now there's this problem, which applies, at least, to Windows 7  - I hope this isn't another nail in the AMD/MSTS coffin!!  Some amongst us will say run Open Rails instead, to which I won't add any comment......

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

AMD Graphics Drivers - Omega 14.12 Empty Re: AMD Graphics Drivers - Omega 14.12

Post  Markh5682 Thu 15 Jan 2015, 4:48 pm

That is the reason I chose to have a NVidia graphics card fitted to my latest computer, I have been using NVidia cards since I replaced my old Windows millennium edition computer with a (then new) XP machine, never had a graphics problem at all running MSTS with NVidia drivers.

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

https://www.youtube.com/user/markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Thu 15 Jan 2015, 10:19 pm

Hi,
Despite all the reports of problems with displaying in 4:3 aspect using this version of the drivers, I'm pleased to say that there is no problem Smile The system must first be cleared of the previous drivers using the Windows uninstall facility and then using software called DDU (from http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html) to completely remove everything AMD.

For some reason, my first attempt at this procedure didn't allow the "Maintain Aspect Ratio" to be set, but a second run did, so if the same happens to you, try it again!!

The above is only a summary of the procedure, so, with Alec's permission, might I suggest that we include full details in the Helpful Facts & Links section?

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Thu 15 Jan 2015, 10:48 pm

Ged
You don't need my permission for adding invaluable posts that might help others - just take the next HFL number. OK Your comments on comparing 32bit with 64bit that you sent me might also be worth adding. OK Your work in this area is of great value and I'm sure that I speak for others in saying it is gratefully received. OK

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down