Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Files not recognised

2 posters

Go down

Files not recognised Empty Files not recognised

Post  Jonathan David Mon 08 Jan 2024, 8:04 pm

Until recently two of my routes worked perfectly in OR, Mersey Semaphore and Cornish Main Lines. I have made no changes to either route but now OR shows load-error, and similarly for stock used by activities for those routes. I have checked and all the files are still there, unchanged except possibly for cabview files called up.
Any ideas what is going on?
I could try re-installing Cornish Main Lines as I still have the source files, but I think the other route was installed before I started archiving all downloaded files systematically.
While asking, any suggestions for a program for writing activities, as Route-Riter crashes when I try to zoom in sufficiently to place static stock?
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Files not recognised Empty Re: Files not recognised

Post  slipperman12 Mon 08 Jan 2024, 8:10 pm

Hi Jonathan,
Which version of Open Rails are you using?

It's unlikely, but does the OR log show anything untoward?

All the files may still be there, but have you changed their root folder name/s?  Use the OPTIONS > Content list to display the path to each profile/installation.

Route_Riter cannot place ANYTHING on a route!!  Maybe you mean TSRE?

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Tue 09 Jan 2024, 1:49 pm

Open Rails 1.5.1. Nothing untoward in the log.
I have done nothing to change any folder names and they are still where I put them.
And yes, not Route-Riter, senior moment, I was using the Activity Editor in MSTS.
You mention TSRE. Is that worth exploring?
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Tue 09 Jan 2024, 2:28 pm

Hi Jonathan,
It appears that you have two separate unrelated problems!

Firstly, Open Rails - without more information, I can't help except to suggest that you very carefully examine the route and its associated files that you're trying to run.  It might help to run MSTS_ActMan - try checking a single activity first, followed by 'all activities' if that doesn't show any errors.  If no errors are still being reported, try the 'Check all Consists' option.

Secondly, MSTS Activity Editor.  MSTS is not very good at managing memory!  Do you have the Bin Patch installed?  If so, are you using the memory switch?  The Target line in the Desktop shortcut to the MSTS Editors should look something like this :
"T:\MSTS\Train Simulator\train.exe" -toolset -mem:2048
Your path to 'train.exe' may be different and it may, or may not, be enclosed in double-quotes, but the important part is that after '-toolset'.
If the path is to 'launcher.exe' instead of 'train.exe', I suggest that you change it because the memory switch cannot be used with launcher.exe.

TSRE is, primarily, a replacement for MSTS Route Editor but it has two 'extras' - ConsistEditor (replacement for ConBuilder and Route_Riter's Consist Editor option) and a rudimentary Activity Editor.  I can't help with the Route Editor or Activity Editor options, but have successfully used the ConsistEditor several times.

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Tue 09 Jan 2024, 7:18 pm

Thanks. I'll follow up your suggestions, though it is a bit of a mystery why only two routes out of several dozen in the Routes folder should be affected.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Tue 09 Jan 2024, 7:50 pm

Hi Jonathan,
Programs are really quite simple 'animals' and only follow set instructions so there's ALWAYS a reason if they don't act as expected - assuming they are bug-free Smile

I can only suggest that something has changed in those two routes.

Please let me know if/when you find anything!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Mon 15 Jan 2024, 12:15 pm

I have just copied the two routes from my last back-up and there is now only a problem with Mersey Semaphore. Presumably something had got corrupted at a crucial point in the other route in the last two months, as I had not touched it since the last back-up. I have earlier back-ups of my files, so I shall try copying over an earlier back-up of Mersey Semaphore and see what happens.
I have looked at TSRE as an alternative way of creating activities but am having a job getting my heard around it. Are there any other programs out there for creating activities? I know there has been some discussion about creating an activity editor as part of the Open Rails project, but there is no-one enthusiastic about taking on the project.
Anyway, thanks once again for all the help you provide to those of us who struggle with MSTS and Open Rails.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

neanderthal likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Mon 15 Jan 2024, 3:15 pm

Hi Jonathan,
I've not looked at the TSRE Activity Editor (yet!) but understand that Paths need to be created using its TrackViewer.

No other program is available to create MSTS/ORTS activities.

If you've got the MSTS CDs and can install it, you can run its AE on MSTS and most ORTS routes.  The problem with the latter is that they can be very large!  I have got it to work with the MidEast Coast route but it's so slow and jerky it's certainly NOT a pleasure to use.

Let's hope that somebody takes up the baton and creates a new AE.  Sorry it won't be me because I don't know the 'internals ' of World, .tdb and associated files!!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Tue 16 Jan 2024, 9:51 am

I have now copied the Mersey Semaphore files from a slightly older backup and surprise, surprise, it works perfectly. I am still sure I never made any changes to it but hey, ho.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down