Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using Blender

4 posters

Go down

Using Blender Empty Using Blender

Post  tonya37 Sat 09 Dec 2023, 8:26 am

I wonder if anyone can advise me on this:

How should a rail vehicle be oriented in Blender so that it will point (and travel!) in the right direction in MSTS/OR?

Just getting my feet wet in Blender.

Regards

Tony

PS It strikes me that this is the wrong thread for this type of question - please redirect me if that is so.

Last edited by tonya37 on Sat 09 Dec 2023, 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added PS)

tonya37

Back to top Go down

Using Blender Empty Re: Using Blender

Post  j3801 Sat 09 Dec 2023, 9:24 am

Hi Tony,

Yes this topic was in the wrong section, so I have moved it for you!
All good and no harm done! Hopefully the right people will now see this topic and be able to help you.
As I use TSM not Blender, unfortunately I am of no use for exact science.
Then again, alternate thinking may work Nerd .

Why not make a simple cube with the sides all different colours and export that as an engine to load into MSTS/OR?
That way you can reference from the sims to the program which colour matches which direction.
I may take you a few minutes to do this, but it can give you a direct answer.

Regards,
Justin

Using Blender Sig10
j3801
j3801
Admin

https://tsforum.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  tonya37 Sat 09 Dec 2023, 9:55 am

Thanks Justin

Sorry to say I'm not far enough into Blender to export to MSTS. There is documentation, which I've read, but not yet understood. I know that using GMax the axes are a bit weird, which is why so many models that should run parallel to tracks actually run across them. I will try it out when I get there but I was being lazy and hoping to use a wiser person's experience!

Thanks for moving topic for me.

BTW hope that work is treating you a little more kindly.

Regards

Tony.

tonya37

Back to top Go down

Using Blender Empty And the answer is...

Post  tonya37 Mon 11 Dec 2023, 9:16 am

Hi Justin

I followed your advice but took a shortcut

1. I installed the OR/MSTS exporter
2. I imported an example loco
3. I exported the loco
4. Loaded it into Shapeviewer
5. Observed that the loco was correctly oriented (and that the pantograph was at the front of the loco)
6. Back to Blender
7. Very Happy

And the result is ... the green (Y) axis parallels the track, positive direction is forward.

Regards Tony

tonya37

Back to top Go down

Post  mrmosky Mon 11 Dec 2023, 10:30 am

Hi Tony,

Sorry, but I didn't see your question until this morning, otherwise I would have helped.

Blender is a bit of a learning curve, but worth it in the end.
A couple of tips that I find useful:

1. Select a part by clicking on it then press "." on the numpad. This zooms in to the part you selected.
2. Select a part and then press the "/" key. This hides all the other parts so you can focus on the part you want. Press the same key again to bring everything back.

Cheers,
Geoff

mrmosky

Back to top Go down

Post  tonya37 Mon 11 Dec 2023, 11:20 am

Thanks Geoff

Two very useful tips that I have not come across before - thank you!

I must say that at this stage that I rather like Blender. I've found that it is pretty logical with a bit of practice, although I have to say I'm right at the bottom, steep part of the learning curve. I've set myself the task of creating some LNWR wagons. What I want to do is to build an underframe, with running gear, then use that as the basis for a variety of wagons. The underframe itself I plan to build as a series of components, eg wheels, brake gear, wheel suspension, buffers etc.

So far I have explored the windows system and a few of the mesh objects and procedures, I've learned how to export models, I've learned how to structure a model for OR/MSTS, so it has all been very encouraging.

First task is to make a wheel and I see that there are numerous ways of doing it, but it appears that what I thought might be the simplest way by rotating a planar cross section about the wheel axis is not feasible. I think the best plan will be to use extrusion and scaling of a circle - but we'll see. Then will follow what I suspect might be quite difficult, texturing.

Anyway a long journey ahead - any advice will be gratefully received!

BTW, my first step was to look for drawings and information, and I came across a set of RCH drawings from 1923 which are very detailed and dimensioned - even to the PO's plaque. I expect you've seen them, but if not and you are interested let me know and I'll put up the web link.

Regards

Tony

tonya37

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Mon 11 Dec 2023, 12:17 pm

Hi Tony
There are three volumes of LNWR Wagons from the LNWR Society that give comprehensive details on the whole LNWR wagon fleet' namely LNWR Wagons, volumes one, two and three by the LNWR Society and published by Wild Swan Books.
I used these to create a few wagons using TSM, but no longer have them.
Good luck with your work and all the best, Alec

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  tonya37 Tue 12 Dec 2023, 4:22 am

Thanks Alec, much appreciated.

Regards

Tony

tonya37

Back to top Go down