Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Routes not built

+3
lather30
Bronzino
Jonathan David
7 posters

Go down

Routes not built Empty Routes not built

Post  Jonathan David Tue 16 Aug 2022, 1:55 pm

This could just as easily have been posted in the OR sectiion.
This post was prompted by my considering buying the 3DTrains Cambrian 2 route and being disappointed to discover that it does not include the Mid Wales line. That made me think about other interesting lines which to my knowledge have never been created in MSTS or Open Rails. As there are still some stalwarts creating routes (I tried once but it was a disaster), I thought it worth posting my musings.
Starting with Wales, as that is the area I know well, the Marches lines from Chester to Newport would make a very interesting sim, with many branches, joint GWR/LNWR operation over part of it, and a mix of local and long distance traffic. It might be practicable to include some of the fairly self contained branches such as the three from New Radnor, Presteign and Eardisley which connected at Leominster.
As fart as I know, no-one has attempted the Central Wales line from Craven Arms to Swansea Victoria (the latter now closed so it goes to Llanelli and is called the Heart of Wales line).
Then there is the route from Hereford through Brecon to Neath, with junctions with the Brecon & Merthyr and Cambrian.
Moving south we come to the ex-LNWR Heads of the Valleys line from Abergavenny west to Merthyr with its various appendages. Very three dimensional and lots of varied freight and passenger traffic.
And my favourite would be the Pontypool Road to Neath line. Numerous junctions, very busy (over 100 trains a day before the First World War) and of course Crumlin Viaduct.
The valleys companies would be a challenge as they had extremely complex systems with many colliery and other industrial links. Perhaps the Brecon & Merthyr would be the easiest of the eastern ones, and a line of contrasts with coal mines on the southern part and wild open moorland further north.
If one wanted a small system to start with perhaps the Burry Port & Gwendraeth Valleys Railway with its little sister the Gwendraeth Valley Railway.
Even the South Wales main line has not been done properly. There is the Carmarthen to Swansea sim and Briscard as a modern image attempt, though it does not get to West Wales and by the time it represents the valleys lines are but a shadow of what they had once been.
The other area of Wales which had an interesting system was around Brymbo, where the GWR, LNWR and GCR all had lines. Again, heavy industry and lots of steep hills.
Well, that’s Wales dealt with but I am sure that others with different interests can produce lists covering other areas of the country.
And a route which could do with updating to current standards is the GWR one which is a massive system but very basic (though some interesting structures in the Cornish mining area).
What do others think? And any volunteers to create one of these routes? For most of those I have described. I would be happy to provide what information I have from my quite extensive library.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

neanderthal likes this post

Back to top Go down

Routes not built Empty NER

Post  Bronzino Tue 16 Aug 2022, 2:33 pm

Hi Jonathon,
The route for me would be an extension of MEP Plus from York to Edinburgh I just wish I had the IT skills to tick this off my personal wish  list.
Regards KenH

Bronzino

Back to top Go down

Routes not built Empty Re: Routes not built

Post  lather30 Thu 18 Aug 2022, 5:05 pm

There are a few glaring gaps in what's available for MSTS. For me, the following would be nice to see:

• The ECML north of York up to Edinburgh.
  • The Waverley route.
  • An extension of the West Highland route to include the Oban line, and also extension of the route down to Glasgow.
  • The Far North Line extended to include the full line to Kyle of Lochalsh.
  • The Cromford & High Peak Line (including the full Buxton to Ashbourne line).
  • The Thames-Trent route extended into Manchester Piccadilly and including the "Old Road" north from Chesterfield to Tinsley.
  • A modern-image (post-BedPan) version of the Thames-Trent route, including the full Hope Valley Line all of the way into Manchester and the Robin Hood Line.
  • An electrified version of  the London, Tilbury & Southend line.
  • Expansion of the Glasgow to Carlisle route to include the coastal line from Carlisle via Ayr, and the line up to Hunterston.
  • Extension of the BrisCard route west of Swansea to Milford Haven.

I know that's quite a list, but there are some significant gaps in the network, which hopefully someone will fill for us at some point.

Adrian.

lather30

Jonathan David likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  a214sli Sat 26 Aug 2023, 8:28 pm

lather30 wrote:There are a few glaring gaps in what's available for MSTS. For me, the following would be nice to see:

[*]The Waverley route.
[*]The Cromford & High Peak Line (including the full Buxton to Ashbourne line).
I know that's quite a list, but there are some significant gaps in the network, which hopefully someone will fill for us at some point.

Adrian.
[*]
Just seen this.....in OpenRails I have laid track with signalling and linespeeds but not a lot else, with the aerial photos overlay (which presumably can't be distributed as can't establish copyright), for just outside Edinburgh Waverley to just north of Hawick....plus Buxton to Ashbourne...likewise with the Alston branch (done in MSTS but it's a bit 'old' and not DEM/UKFS track etc), plus updating Woodhead (the electrified area - including correcting the errors in track/route location due to following the terrain decals not actually where things should have been, as well as creating a 1981 'last legs' rationalised version) but ran out of enthusiasm due to MSTS/OR user numbers dropping off.

a214sli

Back to top Go down

Post  cgood124 Sat 26 Aug 2023, 9:09 pm

Hello,

Now as a route builder / editor I can see both sides of this, wish lists are great fun, heck even I still would love some routes / extensions.
A few I would like to see or attempt by us at Wessex Mainlines :-
The Far North line from Inverness as an addon to Highland Mainlines / Inverness to Aberdean, plus a link up to
Scottish Central
A route that covers the branchlines out of Paddington (hopefully with Henley branch out we may look to extending)
Modern Lines from Swansea to Fishguard / Milford Haven
A route to link North and South Wales
All of which UKFS would be amazing.

Well with Wessex Mainline Part 2 ongoing the next bit should be what some people would love to see.

Let me know if you have any questions

cgood124

Back to top Go down

Post  a214sli Sat 26 Aug 2023, 11:06 pm

cgood124 wrote:
The Far North line from Inverness

This was on Big Vern's 5 Route Compliation CD for MSTS (but clearly no longer available). Inverness all the way to Thurso and Wick.
https://tsforum.forumotion.net/t137-far-north-line-version-1-5

a214sli

Back to top Go down

Post  cgood124 Sun 27 Aug 2023, 9:47 am

Hey a214sli,
I am aware of the route and how difficult it is to get hold of, but I would like it to be part of the Highland Mainline route so you could drive all the way from Perth all the way past Inverness up to Thurso / Wick on a freight working, plus relaid in ukfs

cgood124

Back to top Go down

Post  neanderthal Sun 27 Aug 2023, 10:47 am

Quite a while back there was talk of adding the full line to Kyle of Lochalsh. onto the Far North Route, sadly it did not seem to have happened..

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

https://rogers.smith1@hotmail.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Scampispeedway Sun 27 Aug 2023, 4:47 pm

Roger, when Big Vern came back to UKTS, I did ask him if there was any chance of him finishing of
the Far North Line, sadly he said that this was not possible and so had to accept that this Branch will
not appear in the future.

Bob
Scampispeedway
Scampispeedway

Back to top Go down

Post  neanderthal Sun 27 Aug 2023, 6:19 pm

Bob thats sad, but we must accept it. I believe MSTS is going to die the death of a Thousand cuts.
But it's my favourite, and even though I lost most of my MSTS Routes and Stock I think what I still have (under OR) will outlast me..
Neanderthal.

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

https://rogers.smith1@hotmail.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down