Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Activity Time Changer

4 posters

Go down

Activity Time Changer Empty Activity Time Changer

Post  neanderthal Thu 23 Dec 2021, 8:36 pm

Thank you Ged !

ONE of the main problems with OR is that the Trains no longer accelerate away from Stations like the did on MSTS, maybe now they're more realistic, but where I live it was a sight to behold to see a Prairie Tank leave a Station the acceleration always (to me at least) seemed fantastic.

The "Activity Time Changer" alters all that with little tweaks allowing for the Minutes lost by this lack of Acceleration.
I've just added times to the Fort William to Crianlarich activity because ALL the Stations were set with the same arrival and Departure times (09:36:00).

If I can do it it must be a great thing (and simple to use). So an early Christmas Present santa santa santa

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

https://rogers.smith1@hotmail.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Activity Time Changer Empty Re: Activity Time Changer

Post  slipperman12 Thu 23 Dec 2021, 9:01 pm

Hi Roger,
I'm pleased you've found it useful, mate Smile

I agree with you about Open Rails.  I think the problem is that the developers are more oriented to North American railways (should that be railroads?!), with their lumbering giants of steam locomotives.  Most UK tank engines were quite spritely, even those of the Standard classes, and it's a pity that their performance cannot be replicated on OR (or can it??).

A Happy Christmas and a Good New Year to you and yours.

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

neanderthal likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  brace_2011 Fri 24 Dec 2021, 12:42 pm

Hi Ged

This is a very nice little utility.  I have a small suggestion as to how you might usefully extend it.

If you could clone an existing activity, rename the clone, alter the timings and and also change the player consist (in both the *.act and the *.srv files) it would effectively create a new activity.  If the activity description and briefing in the new *.act file could also be edited so much the better.

I have often altered files like this, manually with a text editor, for some time, but automation with an appropriately extended utility would be really good.  I reckon it shouldn't be too difficult (for you anyway) to achieve, and probably wouldn't be too tough for users to make new activities this way.

Does this make sense?

Regards, and Merry Christmas

Martin

brace_2011

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Fri 24 Dec 2021, 1:56 pm

Hi Martin.
Thank you, and the Season's Greetings to you and yours  Smile

Thanks, also, for your suggestion!
Cloning an existing activity would, certainly, be possible.  However, there is one large problem - any substituted consist must not be longer than the original, to avoid placement errors (at least with MSTS).  Maintaining a similar weight could also be important.   Unfortunately, the length and weight of a consist are not stored anywhere.

By a strange coincidence, the same subject has been brought up on another Forum, again in response to ActivityTimesChanger!!  As a result, I am in the process of creating a utility which stores the length and weight of a consist, based on the values entered in the .eng and .wag files of the stock making up the consist, in a 'Comment' line in the .con file.
Activity Time Changer Sample11

Before you ask, although the above was actually created by the program, it's not in a fit state to be sent to anybody yet, not even testers!!

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  brace_2011 Fri 24 Dec 2021, 5:44 pm

Thanks for this, Ged

I guess I had forgotten about MSTS (I haven't used it for a couple of years, and certainly won't now that OR is so good).

You're right about length and weight, but I haven't experienced any problems in OR, although I don't think I would want to modify a shunting activity.  I do run the final activity through the TSRE Activity Editor just to get a first reset on the station stop times, and I may have to edit them again manually later.

I will be interested to see where you get to on this.

Best wishes

Martin

brace_2011

Back to top Go down

Post  darwins Sat 01 Jan 2022, 2:32 pm

Although AI trains in MSTS may have accelerated and braked too quickly, it is also possible that some AI trains in OR are a bit tardy. (There are almost certainly others that are still rather faster than real life.)

AI trains in OR use "simple physics" and may not make use of detailed information in eng and wag files.

Two thoughts, both really aimed at those creating new activities and timetables:

First thought - if you can't drive that fast with a player train (assuming you have realistic OR physics for the loco and rolling stock) then you should not expect AI trains to go faster.

Second thought - there should be some ways to tweak the AI train performance using .con files (as in MSTS) and activity or timetable editors. I think some folk may have this worked out already, but I have not tried yet.

darwins

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down