Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TSM assistance required please.

2 posters

Go down

TSM assistance required please. Empty TSM assistance required please.

Post  terrycunliffe Mon 09 Aug 2021, 2:12 pm

Hi,
I've been plodding away updating scenery in NWE (complete upgrade in progress for the V1 area), which has involved some custom scenery models. These have been fairly rudimentary objects such as platform canopies and other simple structures which have gone ok. (My modelling skills are fairly basic, but I've even managed to churn out the Chorley 'flying arches' Smile )
When working on the Liverpool electrics area, my thoughts went back to Brian's conundrum of adding a 3rd rail, and I think that I've come up with a possible solution to add these as static objects (even on gradients)
However when modelling a 3td rail as a simple oblong box I'm hitting a problem... I can create the object in TSM and add it to the route, but once placed, I cannot select it in either RE or TSRE. i.e. there is no way that I can get it to 'turn red' no matter how I manoeuvre the cursor. Any clues out there as to what I could be doing wrong? I've tried both a 10m and 100m section with no joy Crying or Very sad
My plan was to then add insulators, and then a selection of curved rails one I've got this hurdle sorted.
Cheers,
T

terrycunliffe

neanderthal likes this post

Back to top Go down

TSM assistance required please. Empty Re: TSM assistance required please.

Post  Markh5682 Mon 09 Aug 2021, 2:54 pm

Hi Terry.

It's a long time since I used TSM, (it was on my old computer) but I remember having that problem and  disappearing shapes when I placed the origin in the wrong place. When I made my snap together walls and fences, I put the point of origin on the bottom left (as viewed on the screen) of the shape, that also facilitated the snap together function which would be ideal for your 3rd rail shapes saving you hours as apposed to laying each one individually, and shapes were always easy to highlight to red..

You can see how I made them snap together by looking in the sd files in my download...................

UKTS -  File ID: 30804

It's easy to do. OK

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

https://www.youtube.com/user/markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  terrycunliffe Mon 09 Aug 2021, 4:11 pm

Thanks Mark, However I don't wish to make the shapes 'snappable' as I think that they then would remain level on gradients?
What I've done is to create the shape file with the 'length' on the z axis, origin point at the end, centre on X axis, as per track sections.
The idea was to then create each 3rd rail section to the same length and radii as the corresponding track section and then to manually edit the world file copying and pasting the Qdirection values in turn from the track sections to each of the 3rd rail sections. Very labour intensive as each section has to be then manually placed, but is straight forward once the orientation / inclination is right. It's a method that I use for aligning platforms etc to track and works very well, but the models must be created to the same North - South orientation. (I can't get the AlignU utility to work correctly in Windows 10)
I'm certainly missing something obvious here, but what?
T

terrycunliffe

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Mon 09 Aug 2021, 4:41 pm

Hi Terry, snappable shapes are the easiest objects to lay on gradients, as they are fully maneuverable in all directions whilst being still anchored to the previous piece, though I'm not sure how well it would work on curved pieces.

Have you tried changing the point of origin? otherwise I'm not sure what it may be.

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  terrycunliffe Mon 09 Aug 2021, 6:08 pm

Thanks Mark,
I've tried making them as snapable objects as per your suggestion (added ESD_Snapable () to .sd file) and tried moving the point of origin on both the x and y axis ... still no joy.
T

terrycunliffe

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Mon 09 Aug 2021, 6:35 pm

Hi Terry, I couldn't remember the procedure for using them so I copied the instructions from the readme..................

Instructions for use

These Snap together walls and fences are installed exactly the same as any other scenery items, and can be placed and edited just like any other scenery objects.

To Use the snap together feature, place a length of wall or fence as you normally would.

Once you are happy with it, press X on your keyboard to turn on the snap together feature, then the next piece you place will snap onto the end and be perfectly joined up to the first piece, and so on for as many pieces you place.

To adjust the direction etc. such as when going round corners or up hills, press X to turn off the snap together feature and you then can edit it as normal, press X again to turn it back on before placing your next piece.

There is a slight ovelap between the ends of each piece to allow for rotation without leaving a gap.

The first snap on piece may overlay the first piece, depending on which end of the first shape you start on, if this happens turn off snap together by pressing X then rotate the new piece by 180 deg. you will then be good to go in either direction.

You can snap together any combination of these shapes, you can also snap more than one piece to a node, this will allow you to have a continuous wall or fence and have another one joined up to it going off in a different direction.

Hope that helps OK

Has altering the origin solved the not being able to select the piece?

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  terrycunliffe Mon 09 Aug 2021, 6:59 pm

Thanks Mark,
The objects snap together a-ok, but still cannot select them, even when moving the origin

terrycunliffe

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Mon 09 Aug 2021, 7:59 pm

Strange that, can't think what causes it? I'll ask around.

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  terrycunliffe Tue 10 Aug 2021, 11:47 am

Well, finally solved it Smile I simply added a second part to the model in the form of an insulator, and voila, the rail can now be selected in RE!
I'm going to now make a selection of differing straight sections and test how they look on a gradient before then moving on to attempt some curved sections.
T

terrycunliffe

Back to top Go down

Post  terrycunliffe Tue 10 Aug 2021, 3:42 pm

Well, I've managed to create a nice, smooth vertical curve from level to + 1.5 degrees, proving that the theory does work Very Happy
I was going to post a screen shot, but for the life of me, as senility slowly creeps up,  I can't remember how to do it Embarassed
I'm sure there's a 'how to' article somewhere if someone could kindly point it out to me....
Cheers,
T
<Edit> Found it Very Happy
TSM assistance required please. Vertical-curvejpg_orig

terrycunliffe

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Tue 10 Aug 2021, 6:27 pm

Hi terry.
Glad you have solved it, it looks good. OK

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  terrycunliffe Tue 10 Aug 2021, 10:07 pm

Just a quick update... I've tried making the rail sections snapable, but they only snap together as an overlay. Sad  
I have done a little bit of digging (and apologies that this will be 'old hat' to established model builders) and learn that snapable objects must be created in an E-W orientation. As my method of placing the 3rd rail sections makes it essential to copy over the QDirection data from the 'parent' track section to ensure perfect alignment, they have been created with a N-S axis. So every section will have to be placed individually.... It's going to be a long haul if I finally decide to go ahead!
Cheers
T

terrycunliffe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down