Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Choice

4 posters

Go down

A Choice Empty A Choice

Post  neanderthal Fri 25 Jun 2021, 8:25 pm

Righto' now my Dorset coast is up and running beautifully I shall have to ask a completely different question of you all. Do I need a clean copy of MSTS to download a Mini Route for OR. I still have the instructions as to how I used to download them to MSTS or is it different now.,I especially want the Mid East Plus. again. Thanks Roger.

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

https://rogers.smith1@hotmail.co.uk

Back to top Go down

A Choice Empty Re: A Choice

Post  dforrest Fri 25 Jun 2021, 9:35 pm

Roger, if you previously downloaded routes for MSTS, and they were fully functional mini-routes, that is with the necessary GLOBAL and stock files, they should work in Open Rails.

Concerning Mid East Plus. There is an upgraded version which is expected to be available in a few weeks, so you may like to wait for that!

David
dforrest
dforrest

Location : St. Vincent and the Grenadines (and in an earlier life, Hull)

neanderthal likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  brace_2011 Sat 26 Jun 2021, 10:52 am

David

I thought that the new Mid East Plus was going to be set in a different era (steam), and cover a slightly different geography (coastal) and that it would not be coming (initially at least) with either stock or activities. In which case, better to get (the current) Mid East Plus, and better still to get it on disk so it will set up automatically as a Mini Route. ... and it is well worth having; a real tour de force.

However, please feel free to correct me.

Martin

brace_2011

Back to top Go down

Post  systema Sun 27 Jun 2021, 8:40 pm

Hi,

Its ages since I was on this forum. Dave Forrest gave me a heads up on this discussion. Its great to know there is still considerable interest in Mid East Plus.

After several years break on completion of the mini route I had done no route building until recently. I have spent my sim time learning about OR and especially the physics of steam locos in conjunction with Peter Newall from Coals to Newcastle. Also there were many problems initially running MEP in OR particularly with how ace files show and especially with loads of crosses in the sky above much of the vegetation. I also decided that the route should be more steam friendly. OR is now in a very good place and can run virtually any MSTS items or routes without problems or modifications. However, it is much better when you apply the specific OR improvements that have been developed.

The current situation with the route is that all future updates will be biased towards steam and it will have a new name of Mid East Coast. All the original MEP track work is still there and therefore most of the original activities should run, though there may be a need to fix some broken paths in Trackviewer. All the problematic scenery has been sorted out and you get a lovely clean view in OR. Problematic Semaphore signalling is in the process of being corrected with the help of a newly created invisible dummy distant signal. Paths to the next normal signal through junctions and point work seem to be limited to a maximum of two nodes or signals from a distant, in an activity. It all works fine in explore mode. Around 20 working turntables have been added to the route with shed facilities at several locations. There are several water troughs on the ECML mainly in the correct positions which allow for non stop running from KX to beyond York. Numerous water towers and coaling facilities have been added. This being said the route is still diesel friendly but it not expected that refuelling will be required unless specifically brought into an activity for effect.

The initial focus on the new route will be the Lost Lines of Lincolnshire, one of the travesties of the Beeching Era. It is called Mid East Coast because one day I hope to get to Cleethorpes, Mablethorpe, Scarborough, Hull, Bridlington and Whitby. As you know we can already get to Hunstanton and Skegness. One new branch has been completed. This is the short line to Spilsby from Firsby. This was lost well before Beeching's time due to problems relating to the second world war and too expensive bridge repairs needed to restore the line after the war. Spilsby will be on the initial release. As has been noted it will be route only at first with no activities or rolling stock. I do intend to roll out a comprehensive set of steam and modified diesel stock taking advantage of OR capabilities.

It would be great if anyone interested in creating activities could help out in due course. Also some new scenery models would probably be a good way forward as well for some specific locations if there are any willing volunteers out there.

After Spilsby I will work my way towards Grimsby and Cleethorpes.

Mick Clarke
MEP/MEC

systema

Back to top Go down

Post  brace_2011 Mon 28 Jun 2021, 10:12 am

Thanks for your reply, Mick. That all sounds wonderful, and I have seen your pics which look amazing. I am really looking forward to it.

So, to reply to the OP (Roger) it looks like his best bet is to get the existing MEP on disk, and to install Mid East Coast as a separate route in the MEP 'mini-installation' when it becomes available.

Martin

brace_2011

Back to top Go down

Post  systema Mon 28 Jun 2021, 12:19 pm

Hi Martin and Roger,

Yes, If you wish to use the existing MEP route activities and stock the easiest way might be to install Mid East Coast as a route into the same folder as the mini route. Please note however there are changes to the global and sound fliers as well as the signal configuration etc etc.

A better bet might be to install MEC into its own folder and copy over the MEP stock, path, activity, traffic, and service files.

I should have mentioned before the initial steam stock when it arrives will be a basic set of BR Standard Locos with blood and custard coaches and some basic freight stock. All will have realistic physics and performance.

Mick Clarke
MEP/MEC

systema

Back to top Go down

Post  brace_2011 Mon 28 Jun 2021, 12:39 pm

Good advice, Mick

You might remember that I repainted a set of Mk1 blood and custard coaches when a set of steam era activities was mooted shortly after you launched MEP. Old style physics, but the painting might be OK. They are on UKTS for download.

Martin

brace_2011

Back to top Go down

A Choice Empty Ummmm

Post  neanderthal Mon 28 Jun 2021, 2:16 pm

Well thanks for the updates and look forward to running the MEP (and the later version MEC) but to tell the truth I do not have a great record when it comes to downloading as they never seem to to end up in the right place (Hence why I'm called Neanderthal). But I'm really glad to see there is still interest in the old girl (MSTS)

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

https://rogers.smith1@hotmail.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down