Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Long Break now trying !

+2
slipperman12
Jonathan David
6 posters

Go down

Long Break now trying ! Empty Long Break now trying !

Post  neanderthal Sat 19 Jun 2021, 4:03 pm

Just to explain I have been absent for quite a while, but am now trying to get back into Trains but using OR (MSTS CD's). Hence a few questions that have probably been asked many times, so if you can point me at them ,Thank you. Firstly (as an example) I wish to download my Dorset Coast (MSTS) to run it on OR. So I assume I still add it to my MSTS (C;\1MSTS), but I also remember this was a very greedy Sim and needed Train Store, so do I download Trainstore or omit it ?. And then I used to have to turn down the settings so as not to end up driving through a field (no tracks Showing) How do I do this in OR ? I'm sure someone will come to my rescue, so please keep it as non tech as possible. Remember that's why my names Neanderthal.Thanks Roger. Very Happy Very Happy

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

https://rogers.smith1@hotmail.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Long Break now trying ! Empty Re: Long Break now trying !

Post  slipperman12 Sat 19 Jun 2021, 5:48 pm

Hi Roger,
Welcome back, mate Smile
1. You don't need Train Store if you're using Open Rails. Just install Dorset Coast into MSTS following its instructions. Note that a full MSTS installation is required because the installme.bat file for the Dorset Coast route MUST be run to copy the required default files into the Dorset folder.

2. The only time you'll have the 'no tracks showing' situation in Open Rails is if you fail to install whatever tracks system a route requires. If you're installing Dorset Coast from the UKTS CD, I don't think you'll need to add anything but if you're installing from the UKTS downloads, see the installation instructions - you might need to add XTracks or UKFS and, probably, NewRoads.

Hope this helps - if not, please come back.

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

neanderthal likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  neanderthal Sun 20 Jun 2021, 6:48 pm

Thanks for that Ged ,Dorset Coast runs great on OR, still has a lot of trees on the track though. But had a great ride today. Now what to add next, that is the problem LOL. Very Happy . Roger.

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sun 20 Jun 2021, 7:34 pm

Hi Roger,
Have you added the option to remove trees from the track?

If not, in the Dorset folder, add a sub-folder named OpenRails.
In this folder, add a file named Dorset.trk.
In that file, add the following lines :

include ( ../Dorset.trk )

Comment ( Information to clear trees off tracks / roads )
ORTSUserPreferenceForestClearDistance ( 2 )
ORTSUserPreferenceRemoveForestTreesFromRoads ( 1 )

NOTES :
(a) There MUST be one blank line above the 'include ( ../Dorset.trk )' line
(b)  The 'Comment' line is for information and is not essential
(c)  The number in brackets should be adjusted for best results - it's the minimum distance, in metres, from the track/road for placement of forests.
(d) You may not need the 'Roads' line.
(e)  Most of this type of file I've seen have been in Unicode format (as the MSTS .trk file) but the OR manual seems to indicate that a plain text file is OK.

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  neanderthal Mon 21 Jun 2021, 10:59 am

Cheers Ged, but I'm sorry I don't know how to (or where to) actually write a file ?

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Mon 21 Jun 2021, 11:01 am

Hi Roger,
I've replied to your PM on this subject!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Long Break now trying ! Empty A Thank you

Post  neanderthal Mon 21 Jun 2021, 2:44 pm

Thanks for your help,once again Ged. It does not appear to have made a difference to the trees on the Line. so I'll just have to remember to duck Long Break now trying ! 1f600 LOL. Roger

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Mon 21 Jun 2021, 3:35 pm

Hi Roger,
If the trees are not part of a 'forest' item then it won't make a difference. Have you tried changing the number in brackets to 5 or even more?
Just a thought - you have named the folder OpenRails exactly, haven't you?

Whereabouts in the Dorset route are the trees you're seeing? I'll have a look to see if they are fixable.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Long Break now trying ! Empty Trees,Trees,Trees

Post  neanderthal Mon 21 Jun 2021, 8:00 pm

Hello Ged, Yes I have increased it to 5,and yes OpenRails. I have had a quick look see over on Elvas Tower they also have lots of moans about this. Funny I suppose but I don't remember there being anywhere near as many when I was running it on MSTS as it was one of my favourites, though I never got to Salisbury. But anyway I digress.I get a feeling that there are too many trees on the line, Between mp113 and mp 93 there are15 trees with their Trunk actually through the Track, one through the Platform at mp104.1 and numerous ones Badly hanging over the Track.Maybe its my memory or lack of it, but don't go to any great time and trouble over a Route that I suppose not many People run along anymore. Thanks for your help Roger.

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Mon 21 Jun 2021, 10:02 pm

Hi Roger,
Don't worry, I think it's one of the good MSTS routes!

The 'trees' problem doesn't arise in MSTS because Open Rails works in a different way, due mainly to the absence of documentation on how MSTS works!

Thanks for the locations - I'll have a look over the next few days.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Long Break now trying ! Empty Thanks.

Post  neanderthal Mon 21 Jun 2021, 10:17 pm

Many thanks for that, but I just done Waterloo to Woking and am very surprised to find Trees all over the place as well. I still have a few questions though if you can put up with me, there is of course no rush to answer.
1)...I recall that MSTS had a wonderful way of mapping the Route, is this available on OR ( because I cant seem to find it....Thank you Roger.

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Mon 21 Jun 2021, 10:24 pm

Hi Roger,
Sorry, mate, what do you mean by "mapping the route"? How was it implemented in MSTS?

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  neanderthal Tue 22 Jun 2021, 8:30 am

Not exactly mapping the route as there was something which would actually enable you to make a Map of the total Route. Can't remember for the life of me what it was called, though I used it to make Maps of all my favourites.Still got some of them somewhere,have to look them up. Long Break now trying ! 1f600

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Tue 22 Jun 2021, 10:37 am

Hi Roger,
Approaching Wimbledon, from Waterloo, I came upon this hulking great thing in the 4-foot!
Long Break now trying ! Before10
Applied the OpenRails .trk file, which gave the following result :
Long Break now trying ! After10

If you go to that location, see the tree and it still doesn't 'disappear' when you use your OR .trk file, please try the attached file.
Remove, or delete, your existing Dorset.trk file from the OpenRails folder before adding this file.
PLEASE NOTE : You need to change the extension from .txt to .trk (This Forum will only accept certain file types as attachments!)

I have proved that it doesn't matter if the file is in plain text or is Unicode - the attached is Unicode.

Cheers,
Ged
Attachments
Long Break now trying ! Attachment
Dorset.txt You don't have permission to download attachments.(1 Kb) Downloaded 4 times

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Long Break now trying ! Empty Mapping a Route

Post  slipperman12 Tue 22 Jun 2021, 11:21 am

Hi Roger,
Maybe you're thinking of MSTS Mapper?
It's in TK_Utils, available as file ID 11261 from UKTS.

It's something I've never used!!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Tue 22 Jun 2021, 11:46 am

Hi Ged and Roger,

Just to confirm Geds settings advice these are my settings which work perfectly for me, complete with the empty first line:-

include ( ../Dorset.trk)

ORTSUserPreferenceForestClearDistance ( 5 )
ORTSUserPreferenceRemoveForestTreesFromRoads ( 5 )

Regards,

Stephen

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Tue 22 Jun 2021, 3:24 pm

Two useful things there. Many thanks.
I had just got completely lost exploring the Cannock Chase area of Black Country 1 in Open Rails. Now I have a map and know here I have been.
And trees on the line have been bugging me too. I had got used to just driving through them! No need any more. A pity though it has to be added to every route where there are ents on patrol.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  neanderthal Tue 22 Jun 2021, 3:45 pm

Oh dear,I must be doing something wrong, I've still got Triffids everywhere. So heres the way I've entered everything. Have I erred somewhere ?Long Break now trying ! Trk10

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Tue 22 Jun 2021, 4:08 pm

Hi Roger,

Try adding this line as well

ORTSUserPreferenceRemoveForestTreesFromRoads ( 5 )

I have found that this often helps with removing "triffids" etc.

Regards,

Stephen

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  brace_2011 Tue 22 Jun 2021, 5:22 pm

Hi there

2 thoughts:

1: I believe that for the INC file to be read correctly there should be no "blank" lines after the final parenthesis in the main TRK file of the route.
2: what version of OR are you using? I suggest nthe current 'testing' version

Martin

brace_2011

Back to top Go down

Long Break now trying ! Empty Thanks

Post  neanderthal Tue 22 Jun 2021, 5:44 pm

Hi Martin. I'm on OR 1 3 1 4328 Stable,but will move over to the Testing later on tonight.As for the rest of what you said I haven't a clue, sorry. But thank you for your help.

Last edited by neanderthal on Tue 22 Jun 2021, 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bad spelling)

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Tue 22 Jun 2021, 5:56 pm

Hi Martin,
Many thanks for that tip - I've just tested it .... and you're absolutely correct, but may I add that there must be no lines, blank or not, after the final parenthesis, in the main .trk file.

NOTE for Roger : If you've taken any saves using the Stable version, they are likely to be incompatible with later versions of OR with the result that resuming will not be possible.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  neanderthal Wed 23 Jun 2021, 1:46 pm

Thanks for that Ged,, did you take a look see at my earlier post (inc Screen grab"showing how I installed the Dorset trk fille.. As long as it looks correct to you I'll just have to move on and buy another disc from Atomic and give that a try... Very Happy

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Wed 23 Jun 2021, 2:05 pm

Hi Roger,
Sorry, I missed your post with the screenshots!
It looks OK to me.  Buying another CD from UKTS won't make the slightest difference!!  It's an MSTS route and the trees don't (or shouldn't) appear when using MSTS.  

Are the trees in your screenshots at one of the locations you mentioned earlier? If so, I'll have a look on mine, but, if not, please tell me where.

Cheers,
Ged

EDIT :  Just run from milepost 113 (Poole) to 104 (Christchurch)..  Started without OpenRails file and came across a tree in the track. Saved and switched to the OpenRails file and on resumption, the tree had gone.
Got to milepost 105 and removed the OpenRails file. At milepost 104 saw tree in platform. Saved and switched to OR file and, when resumed, the tree wasn't there.  This shows me that the system is working correctly and that the DC trees are part of forest items.  I'm not able to test if the Stable version of OR works in the same way.
I'm not able to explain why you can't remove your trees, unless you've got more than one Dorset installation and you've added the OpenRails folder to the wrong one, or, at least, not the one being run by OR!

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  brace_2011 Wed 23 Jun 2021, 7:40 pm

Hi Roger

Just try the following and report back, please

1: make a copy of the main Dorset.trk file (in case you mess up)
2: open the original in a text editor - it should have (about) 45 lines, the last 2 being (something like)
TempRestrictedSpeed ( 6.7056 )
)
3: place your cursor immediately after the )
4: press the Delete key on your keyboard and hold it down for 5 seconds
5: save the file
6: run Dorset Coast in Openrails, and report back

Martin

brace_2011

neanderthal and Bronzino like this post

Back to top Go down

Long Break now trying ! Empty Perfect

Post  neanderthal Wed 23 Jun 2021, 9:46 pm

Thank you Martin, I did as you stated and it now works a treat Just did Brockenhurst to Weymouth without a single triffid on the track. Without going into detail I'm not sure what you had me do, it would appear to me that all I've done is delete nothing,but hey it's now the run I remember.,The weed trains done it's job ! Many, many thanks ,, Roger.

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

Bronzino likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Wed 23 Jun 2021, 9:56 pm

Hi Roger,
It appears that you have removed the blank line which followed the final close bracket of the original Dorset.trk file - something which was suggested in earlier posts!!

Glad you're now triffid-free!!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Long Break now trying ! Empty Thanks

Post  neanderthal Thu 24 Jun 2021, 7:48 am

Yes I have to agree, Sadly I did not understand what I was meant to do. So many thanks to Martin and yourself (and TSSH ) another great problem solved .

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

Bronzino likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  brace_2011 Thu 24 Jun 2021, 10:01 am

Glad you are now sorted - because if that hadn't worked I was all out of ideas

Martin

brace_2011

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenRWells Thu 24 Jun 2021, 10:12 am

Hi Roger,

I too am glad that all is now sorted and you can enjoy this magnificent route. It gives me endless hours of pleasure running activities and headaches trying to get my as yet un-released activities to work to my satisfaction!

Regards,

Stephen

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Long Break now trying ! Empty Dorset Coast

Post  neanderthal Thu 24 Jun 2021, 11:04 am

Yes it's a favourite of mine too, now I can go shopping to get a few others to go with it.

Roger
neanderthal
neanderthal

Back to top Go down

Long Break now trying ! Empty THANKS ALL

Post  Bronzino Fri 25 Jun 2021, 10:40 am

I have put up with the pesky triffids for many months and now thanks to everyone here I have followed all your instructions/advice to the letter no more foliage; you have made an excellent route just so much more enjoyable. How you all understand computers I will never know. Once again thank you for your endeavours keep up the good work.
Best regards Ken

Bronzino

slipperman12 and neanderthal like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down