Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3801 - The Return

5 posters

Go down

3801 - The Return Empty 3801 - The Return

Post  j3801 Mon 15 Mar 2021, 4:18 am

Hi Everyone,

Over the weekend of 13th and 14th of March 2021, NSWGR 3801 made her triumphant return to active duty after a protracted overhaul of around 14 years.

I went out both days to film her as she was running shuttles between Sydney Terminal and Hurstville.
I was one of the lucky ones who got in early and was able to get tickets to travel behind her on the Sunday.

In a complete first for me, I have uploaded the video to YouTube. The video editing took some getting used to as I didn't have a video editing program that wouldn't mess up the sound.

I promise that the footage does improve after the first scene as the lighting wasn't the best at Hurstville.

Now that I have this figured out I may end up uploading a few more videos at some point.

Regards,
Justin

3801 - The Return Sig10
j3801
j3801
Admin

https://tsforum.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

3801 - The Return Empty Re: 3801 - The Return

Post  StephenRWells Tue 16 Mar 2021, 11:09 am

Hi Justin,

Many thanks for uploading this video, the many years of painstaking restoration are very evident as the quality of the finished loco is superb as are the period coaches behind her.

Regards,

Stephen

Stephen
StephenRWells
StephenRWells

Back to top Go down

Post  j3801 Tue 16 Mar 2021, 11:37 am

Hi Stephen,

Yes the work that they undertook was amazing, the only pity is they put her in a "semi-fictional" livery and have been trying to pass it off as accurate.
As far as most people can find out, none of the 38 class were painted in this particular shade of green. It is far darker than most NSWGR Greens, excluding the non-streamlined 38's which were almost an Olive green...

I have been through my copy of the "definitive" book on the 38's and the closest I can find is when 3805 was painted green in the mid 1940's, although 3805 had a waratah painted on it's nosecone to celebrate it being the first 38 painted green as the class initially entered traffic in a grey undercoat (a few people claim this was a special wartime livery, but the NSWGR were that desperate for the 38's as they were a few years behind schedule that as soon as the railways accepted them into the fleet after they passed their load tests, they went straight into service instead of the paint shops!). When 3801 was repainted green in the 1960's for preservation she gained 3805's waratah, which she has now lost scratch .

I spent many an hour researching the class when I was making my MSTS models of them back in 2005, and pinpointing exactly what was fitted and when was a minefield as they would have tweaks to them every few weeks some times. In fact I was just looking about an hour ago at 3801's whiskers: from what I can tell she has never had them in this position, but I did find rather quickly that there has been at least 6 (that I noticed) stripe variations since she became green in 1947... lol! Oh the headaches I could tell.... lol!

But, having said all that, I do love the work and attention to detail that they went through. And I am not criticizing the work done or the colour, merely stating facts. If you happen to look at my model of 3801, it is far from accurate or perfect, and I never claimed it to be. Because when I did all the research I got the the point of realising 100% accuracy is impossible without having unlimited access to check every nut and bolt are correct, which is impossible when looking at something from the past. I am not a rivet counter, nor will I ever be. I enjoy things for what they are, and if it's not 100% accurate, I can live with it. At the moment I am not overly fussed with the shade of green, but in time I may come to like it!

Regards,
Justin

3801 - The Return Sig10
j3801
j3801
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  rufuskins Tue 16 Mar 2021, 1:47 pm

Hi Justin
Thanks for sharing.

ALEC - Supporter of MSTS and TSSH!

rufuskins

Back to top Go down

Post  Markh5682 Tue 16 Mar 2021, 3:27 pm

Nice video, I enjoyed watching it, thanks for sharing, OK

Mark
Markh5682
Markh5682

https://www.youtube.com/user/markh5682

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Fri 19 Mar 2021, 3:53 pm

Very nice, though a pity it was not possible to turn the train for the inbound trips - though the diesel is no chicken either and looking ery nice. And oh for openable windows.
One question. In the first section before the train arrives there is a catch point. Just beyond there is a piece of rail at an angle. Is that just lying there or is it part of the catch point to deflect any erring vehicle away from the main line? It is not something I have seen in the UK.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  j3801 Sat 20 Mar 2021, 10:53 am

Hi Jonathan,

I must admit that your question threw me for a bit, as I had not paid attention to the trackwork.

The below photo that I took as the train was departing highlights the piece of track in question:

3801 - The Return Img_2022

Now armed with the knowledge of the odd piece of trackwork I put 2 and 2 together really quickly.
Given the position and angle of the catch point, if a train were to be derailed there and continue on for a distance it would cause the train to hit the bridge, repeating the Granville train disaster (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granville_rail_disaster).
The sharply angle piece of track would, in theory at least, send the train through the side arch which is to full loading gauge size, thus hopefully avoiding bring the bridge down on top of the train.

Regards,
Justin

3801 - The Return Sig10
j3801
j3801
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down