Train Sim Safe House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Activity Manager

3 posters

Go down

Activity Manager Empty Activity Manager

Post  Jonathan David Tue 15 Dec 2020, 2:52 pm

An interesting one. Attached is a zip file with one Trainset, two Consists and the ActMan report.
You will see that there are two sets of Eng files, one with and one without LT at the start. This seems to have thrown ActMan as it is asking for one to be changed to the other.
Or am I getting in a twist?
I decided to start a new thread as the one we have been using is actually nominally about something completely different.
Jonathan
Attachments
Activity Manager Attachment
ActMan query.zip You don't have permission to download attachments.(1.3 Mb) Downloaded 2 times

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Activity Manager Empty Re: Activity Manager

Post  slipperman12 Tue 15 Dec 2020, 4:15 pm

Hi Jonathan,
Thanks for your report, but it looks like an error on the part of whoever created the LT1959stockEast.eng and LT1959stockWest.eng files!!

The 'Engine (' and second 'Wagon (' entries have not been changed to match the first 'Wagon (' entry.

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Tue 15 Dec 2020, 4:27 pm

Doh! Thanks. I looked at all sorts of things but not that. It is a bit odd anyway having two sets of eng files with no obvious difference between them.
Yes, no problems now I have corrected the Eng files. I actually now have no errors other than the over-30-charter issues which do not matter in any of my British routes. Now to start checking the sms files. I bet that will be fun.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Tue 15 Dec 2020, 4:35 pm

Hi Jonathan,
The important entry in the .eng file is 'Engine (' as that is used by MSTS and, I believe, ConBuilder..  It is the one that MSTS_ActMan checks the Consist entry against.

I'm not sure which sms_Checker you will be using, but v2.0 is getting near to release.  It seems to be working correctly and gives the option to automatically correct SOME of the errors reported.  You are welcome to try a copy, but I have to remind you that, essentially, it's still a WIP, so I recommend you have a full backup before using the update ('Overwrite') option!

The over 30 character names DO MATTER, especially if you're using ConBuilder. I think MSTS just truncates the name, which can be 'dangerous'!!

Cheers,
Ged

Intel i5 4690K (3.5GHz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB), ASUS Xonar DS Sound Card, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan David Tue 15 Dec 2020, 7:36 pm

Thanks. I did consider offering to test v2.0 when you announced it but I have quite a bit to do for the HMRS at the moment - a new book being produced on LB&SCR carriages and some drawings to clean up - so I decided against. It will probably therefore take some time to go through the list of errors - like to the end of January at my usual rate. I hope I don't upset anyone by saying that in any case I often run Open Rails with the sound off, especially for diesel locomotives.
I haven't used Conbuilder, normally finding the Consist building function in Route Riter good enough, but I have noted your comment. I have noticed though that there is an increasing tendency to very long folder and file names, especially for American stock.
If I find anything else with Activity Manager I will report it but it has behaved perfectly up to now.
Jonathan

Jonathan David

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Tue 15 Dec 2020, 8:11 pm

Hi Jonathan,
That's OK, mate Smile
I should point out that, by default, v2.0 operates just the same as v1.0/1.1, but with an additional check that the number of Trigger lines is equal to the number entered in Triggers.
'Overwrite' has to be specifically selected by the user and then only operates for one press of the START button.

v2.0 will probably be available from the library by the time you get back to checking the files. Depending on what sort of errors are reported, using 'Overwrite' mode could reduce the number somewhat!

Thank you for the note about MSTS_ActMan.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  tonya37 Fri 24 Nov 2023, 8:50 am

Hi Ged

Just had a trundle through ActManV4.1. It performed flawlessly. I appreciated the new features. The onlyOR.txt was useful. I liked the additional lists, and especially the ability to click on list items and see related files. If I wasn't so old I'd say that was cool. But I am so I'll just say that it is an excellently conceived and executed piece of software that serves a real purpose and will be appreciated by many. Thanks Ged Very Happy

Regards

Tony

Last edited by tonya37 on Fri 24 Nov 2023, 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)

tonya37

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Fri 24 Nov 2023, 1:46 pm

Hi Tony,
You're not quite as old as I am but I don't think any of my utilities have been called 'cool' before!! Many thanks for your appreciation Smile  It's always good to know that my efforts are useful!

I, also, keep in mind that no program can ever be totally bug-free, so if you find anything that doesn't appear to work as expected, please let me know.  On the other hand, if you have any ideas for additions, I will always consider any suggestions.

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  tonya37 Sat 25 Nov 2023, 3:13 am

Hi Ged

Well, your program deserves praise.

I have a suggestion, and I don't even know if it is feasible or even necessary. But here's a "nice to have.".

It would be useful to be able to clone an activity. I suppose that given all the inter-related files, a simple copy of the .act file would not work. What I have in mind is to create an activity then clone it to generate a variation, or variations, eg change the driver loco, or timetable. This would allow the "same" activity to be played in different eras for example. Whichever activity editor is used it is a fiddly business at best, and that takes a lot of the enjoyment out of designing an activity - this might take some of the pain away.

Perhaps it is pie in the sky, but for what its worth there it is. But don't stress yourself, you seniors have to take care of yourselves  Very Happy

Regards

Tony

tonya37

neanderthal likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  slipperman12 Sat 25 Nov 2023, 1:02 pm

Hi Tony,
Thanks for your suggestion Smile

I feel that the complexities involved would warrant to separate utility to clone an activity.
Creating an activity for a different era would, most likely, require a change of Player consist together with different AI consists.
This brings in two more considerations - (a) any replacement consists would need to be no longer than the originals, so they don't take up any more track-space, and (b) if different locos are to be used, the weight of consists could have a detrimental effect on performance.

On top of that, timings of all trains may need to be adjusted.  They could be modified when testing a cloned activity using my ActivityTimesChanger!

Cheers,
Ged

slipperman12

Back to top Go down

Post  tonya37 Sun 26 Nov 2023, 9:31 am

Hi Ged

I appreciate your observations, which confirm my suspicions that it would be too complicated to be practical. I did have in mind to use Activity Times Changer, as you suggested. I think it is probably best to bite the bullet, and just create a new activity, which probably wouldn't be so bad considering that at least the paths would be present. Some of the potential problems you mentioned hadn't even occurred to me.

Thank you for looking at it.

Regards

Tony

tonya37

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down